Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

zxqv8 posted:

This guy (Impact) got linked earlier in the thread, but probably deserves another plug because his attention to detail is loving bonkers and the results speak for themselves

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChxo_QeAQdFFqNmNb5hPk3w

You can get good results from growables, but I think this proves that the highest level of believability is achieved by plopping and moving.

Impact, Fluxtrance, and Strictoaster are all amazing. ST turned me onto the plop the growables mod and I'm using that + RICO to handplace an entire city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Man Musk posted:

I uploaded a map to the steam workshop wewt that makes me a modder

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1154968057

You may want to consider taking some glamour/overview photos and add them to the Workshop page so people know WTF it looks like.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

The new update looks really dumb and a pass from me for buying it, but the road editor has me super excited unless it's hamstrung somehow. I watched a feature overview where a guy barely shows it, but will we finally be able to create lane by lane the roads of our dreams?

God, I hope so.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McGlockenshire posted:

I haven't been paying attention. Is this a mod, or is this the new thing in the expansion?

It's a new feature coming in the expansion.

I'm looking forward to being able to make custom roads for my superblocks.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

If I can figure out how to make some narrow 1-way tram roads with bike lanes I'll be happy.

Same - I want a 2-tile wide road that's one lane of foot/bike traffic and one lane of vehicle traffic separated by a median.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

So how bad has the update broken all the essential mods we love?

I usually give it a week for mods to get updated by their original authors or unfucked by BloodyPenguin.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ofaloaf posted:

Is there a way for train tracks to work within roads? I tried taking the tram-in-avenue road and swapping the tram lines out for train tracks, but I couldn't get regular rails to mesh with it and it generally seemed to be a mess.

I don't know about doing that in the road editor but you can make that sort of thing happen with road anarchy and moveit.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

serious gaylord posted:

Is the game playable again yet?

Yeah, there's still a few mods like Rush Hour that are completely broken but I played it just last night without much trouble.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

DCMI and DDI are the god-tier service interchanges in Skylines.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

It's legitimately amazing how much detail you can get in this game from a few props and decals. I've got a WIP nuclear power plant that I've spent some time detailing the entrance facility and sime fairly simple work with decals left it looking pretty damned good.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Building Themes - Manages to be way more functional and a better interface than the crap CO eventually implemented
Control Building Level Up - Lets you lock buildings at a certain level or force them to level up
Disable Zone Check - Super essential for plopping, does exactly what it says.

Sharp Junction Angles - The default minimum angles in the game are hosed, specially for railways. If you want the nice sharp railway turnouts and realistic highway ramps you need this poo poo.

I would drop Sharp Junction Angles for Fine Road Anarchy - it integrates directly with Fine Road Tool.

Building Themes, Control Building Level Up, and Disable Zone Check are all superfluous if you have Plop the Growables installed. CBLU is also noted as being incompatible with PtG!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

I actually buffed the employment/production on farming/forestry since I'd only have one actual building per huge area.

What settings in (I assume) the WG pop/consumption mod did you use for this?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

double nine posted:

I could use some advice on my current supposedly rural town.

https://imgur.com/a/NE72o

it's a bit ... bland. Also I was surprised how little agriculture industry demand there is in the early stages, I was hoping/expecting to have a much bigger cluster of farms by now.

I'm thinking of setting up a forestry area to the west in the first image there and just slowly expanding its settlement until the two areas blend together, but I'm not sure how that would go. I'm also not going to bother with any more high-density stuff, since it's starting to turn this area into a city and I would prefer it not to get too ... metropolitan?

Props. Lots of props. You won't have a lot of actual "working" land but there's a lot of farm field props and whatnot you can use to make the area feel like it's doing poo poo.

Baronjutter posted:

To increase the worker/resident capacity of any building type, lower the space per person field.

And how would you increase the overall production?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I made some spaghetti:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

God I wish we could have zoneable roads with built-in retaining walls, or if the seawalls in the game weren't so thick and could be placed right up to the edge of things, and if buildings didn't auto-morph the terrain to be flat around them. It's super hard to build anything terraced without huge ridiculously thick walls.

Here's a zoneable road with built-in (brick) retaining walls: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1186715899

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Just doing some suburban things and crying over RICO still not being fixed and the creator being MIA.

What in RICO is broken exactly? I haven't noticed any problems - then again, most of what I've been up to since Green Cities dropped is doing big-picture infrastructure on a new map.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

One of the best ways to solve the traffic problems created by trucks going to/from centralized industrial areas is to essentially quarantine their traffic off. Plonk down a cargo station where your industry is and ban freight travel on all roads departing the area. Cargo will use the train station to travel elsewhere assuming there's a valid route for the train.

High-density commercial should be scattered throughout your city - helps to prevent the problem of OMG TRUCKS ERRWHAR - but any areas of it that are more that zone type than any other should have the same treatment as the industrial areas applied to it - local train station, cargo trucks prevented from snarling traffic elsewhere, etc.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Krataar posted:

Are there any guides or tips on how to make the most magnasanti/Blade Runner 2049 hell city I possibly can? I am going to be trying to scoop up mods, but I've been away from this game for a long time for what is good and not good.

The best I have for you is Wellech's building themes: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SGriffin86/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

There's also some other stuff floating around on the Workshop, mostly taller buildings.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Strabo4 posted:

Man, those highways look really nice. I got scared off by the modder's warnings and whatnot but those look really really good. How much of a PITA is it placing all those pillars manually, though?

MoveIt's copy/paste helps for long stretches, as does the different line tools in Prop Line Tool. I'm not using that mod - my current city is a no-highways build that uses trains for extra-city transport - but PLT + MoveIt makes doing long sections of props pretty painless.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Bold Robot posted:

You might already be on top of this but in addition to Move It! and No Pillars, you'll want either Fine Road Anarchy or Sharp Junction Angles (I think the former is the one to use now - someone correct me if I'm wrong), it gives you much more control over your roads, what they snap to, what angle you want them at, etc. You can have it show a little window in the interface with various road building options. Very useful.

Generally speaking, turn off the TV is right. Building one road on top of another is not an easy thing to do in this game, regardless of what mods you use.

Fine Road Anarchy is the gold standard these days.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

nielsm posted:

I'm not sure what happened here. I didn't place it.

But yes this was basically the easiest way to solve a traffic bottleneck from a highway.

I hope residents don't mind a little rumble from the basement.

Something else, I just picked up the game again after not having touched it for a year+ or so, went over my mods list and removed deprecated/broken ones, started a fresh city. But it seems my residential RICO buildings are all broken, every huge tower only houses a single family. Where do I begin looking for a fix? I'm also using the WG Realistic Population mod.

Green Cities update broke high-density RICO mod buildings (when using WG Realistic Pop) and the creator hasn't fixed it yet. There's a community patch which is a replacement for the whole mod until the guy updates it : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1204126182

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

That's why I play with weather and disasters off. No lightning strikes, no forest fire, just me and my helicopters keeping the peace.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ms Adequate posted:

Crazy genius has fixed prop pox.

Holy hell. I remember the awful, bitter drama when Pegasus' umbrella props were used as an example of the root cause of Prop Pox.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

Auto bulldoze demolishes damaged and abandoned buildings. The disaster relief/response agents allow the damaged building to be repaired, as in your level 5 residential building with 30 cims will be repaired as the same level 5 residential building with 30 cims.

It makes playing cities with hand plopped buildings a lot less frustrating.

Or you can play with disasters off and a "No Abandonment" mod installed :v:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so i had the idea to deal with sewage without polluting the water sources by just digging a poo poo lagoon and putting my drainage stations there, and turning them off and doing a new poo poo lagoon when it got full

things went as planned until i started getting notices about citizens needing a pumping service

at which point I looked over at the poo poo lagoon and realized that a loving tsunami of poo poo water was flooding my city

e: basically this game is incredible

e2: watching cars get carried off into god knows where by the tidal wave of poo is one of the funniest things that has ever happened to me in any city builder

e3: OH GOD I MADE IT WIDER AND NOW IT'S JUST OVERFLOWING EVEN HARDER

e4: behold Cannburg, turned into a new Sodom and Gomorrah by the combined pooping might of 4000 people

see that second river? that's all poo

Something you can do to deal with this in an actually functional way is install the extra terrain tools mod and put in a water source in your poogoon. Sink it down to the lowest it will go, and it will simply delete the poo.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SkunkDuster posted:

How do you view the city stats? I saw a video where it showed a line graph of population and I'll be damned if I can find it in the interface. Am I just blind, or is it an addon they are using?

ESC > City Stats, iirc.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

Alternative DLC feature list because own all of them (okay not Green Cities). All of these DLC have unique buildings, new policies, etc.

After Dark
    -Leisure and tourism commercial specializations
    -Prisons
    -Transport hubs
    -Taxis
    -Bike/Bus lanes
Snowfall
    -Heating
    -Road maintenance
    -Snow maps
    -Trams
Natural Disasters
    -Disasters
    -Weather service
    -Flood control
    -Helicopters
    -Emergency shelters
    -Disaster recovery
Mass Transit
    -Ferries
    -Monorails
    -Cable cars
    -Blimps
    -Asymmetrical roads
Green Cities
    -Electric cars
    -Recycling
    -Buzzword specializations for residential, office, commercial

None of the DLC are really must own and I don't think that I'm ever going to buy green cities. However, some of them interact with good workshop mods in interesting way.

Rush Hour uses After Dark to make tourism specialization act as hotels, keeping tourists in your city for a significantly longer amount of time.

Traffic Manager uses Snowfall to make vehicle speed depend on if roads are properly maintained or not.

It's also probably worth mentioning that Traffic Manager claims to provide better game and simulation performance by using its settings to disable pocket cars and on street parking as that it dramatically reduces the likelihood that cims will decide to drive to their destinations rather than walk, bike or use public transport. Walking and biking cims use much less processing power than vehicle traffic.

Rush Hour is cool in execution, but it's not been updated for a while and breaks in some mysterious ways/conflicts hard with other mods that touch the simulation time, like Ultimate Eyecandy. How the heck do you make TMPE disable on-street parking?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

Disable events in Rush Hour and disable time control in Ultimate Eyecandy.

TM:PE should have a global setting to mess with on street parking, it can disable it on a per street basis at the very least.

Huh. cool. TMPE doesn't have a global setting to disable street parking AFAIK, but yes it does have the per-street controls. I was hoping it had global controls for on-street, though...

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

It was a real rollercoaster of emotions seeing the announcement for the Parklife DLC, complete with zonable parks intended to remove the dead space between buildings, and then seeing that nope, there's no filler tool and you have to hand place every prop.

:cripes:

At least those dead spaces you've already filled with props will now be functional? I do like that they're officially adding/supporting pedestrian roads as well.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

Literally every DLC for this game.

Only substantial stuff that the DLCs added were trams and bike-lanes.

And ferries. And the "eco" buildings which are not garishly oversaturated like some of the default buildings. Blimps and cable cars are cool too. Helicopter-based EMS/PD/FD if you pick up Natural Disasters and shut off random disasters and weather so you don't get forest fires everywhere.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Bold Robot posted:

They seem to have stumbled into it with a few smart core design decisions like making it super mod-friendly. CO itself seems to have at best a tenuous grasp on why people dig the game, see e.g. 3 years of questionable DLC and that one interview the CEO or lead designer or whatever gave where she says she plays to maximize profit and doesn't see why people would do anything else.

The other option is that we who want to build realistic-looking cities are the grognards of city sims going :bahgawd: while most people want a lighter experience. But super realistic and detailed stuff always traffics well on the CS subreddit which I would guess is made up of more or less mainstream players.

Honestly the latter bit was the same with the SC4 crowd. You had a bunch of people who were really :bahgawd: about building realistic cities with realistic traffic infrastructure, which spawned projects like NAM and CAM, but also a lot of people who didn't care so much about realism and just made what they liked. The community has in some part slowly moved over to CSL from SC4, so it has a similar structure - bsquiklehausen, for example, made a TON of railfan assets and automata for SC4.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Nova88 posted:

I'm having a bit of a traffic flow problem, I was wondering if people would be able to help, my planning of road networks in this game is pretty much guesswork.

I've got two sections of city seperated by a highway, the top section is resedential with a commercial strip down the middle, the bottom section is basically all residential.
The crossings between the two sections seem to be causing bottlenecks, I tried adding more bridges, but they didn't really help, and also looked a bit ugly so I got rid of them.

Any advice?

Also, is there any way to improve the framerate of the game, my city is only 46k pop, but the framerate is really choppy, it's a pretty good spec machine, and lowering the graphics settings don't seem to make any difference.

re: framerate - if you can cut down on the number of people driving around, it'll improve your framerate. Add some metro, trams, buses, etc. Pathfinding is pretty heavily CPU-bound so the less of it there is, the better your FPS will be.

That said, it's still a Unity engine so there's going to be a point where even with huge numbers of people using the metro, you're going to dip down into sub-30 ranges. When it comes to traffic management, you can try and do real-world road hierarchy but it's still a design that centers around car traffic so you'll still have FPS problems. It's actually measurably more efficient and FPS-friendly to connect independent superblocks via non-car transit, eg metro for people and heavy rail for cargo.

(Metro here is literally any/all transit options including busses.)

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 5, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

At this point I'm really hoping that C:S 2 moves on to using GPU pathfinding. Recent GPU based techniques for solving traveling salesmen problems are anywhere from 5 to 300 times faster than CPU based calculations. One of Nvidia's dedicated computing GPUs can perform tens of billions of moves per second on a network of 10,000 nodes.

That likely depends on if Unity implements it, and how willing CO is to hack it in if not.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

JFC posted:

Can anyone suggest a good, up to date workshop collection with plenty of interchange, lane, and public transport mods? I just reinstalled this and want to make something.

I don't think you need a collection for that. NeXT2 and TM:PE will cover most lane/traffic stuff. Add Metro Overhaul Mod for, y'know, Metro and then take a poke around the Roads category maybe? There are some useful and nice roads in there among the cruft.

If you can be more specific about your idea I can find more stuff to help you accomplish it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

Right hand side is blurred, left hand side is neural net export. Beneath is the neural net image with some basic erosion done in Wilbur.

:science:

Still a decent amount of training left to do. I'm using roughly 2 million square kilometers worth of 10 meter DEM data covering all of Alaska and a large extent of the western United States, and I'm in the process of downloading a thousand or so square kilometers worth of 1 meter DEM data. The eventual goal is to have three models, one of them for very low detail, one medium detail and one for high detail. By using any or all of the models you should be able to work with any amount of detail without having to worry too much about making the first input image too detailed or too blurry.

So this would, for example, let us take non-US terrain data from terrain.party and sharpen it from "blurry mess" to something usable?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Speaking of learning from veterans, here's my (very WIP) slums area that I'm detailing using tricks I've picked up from Strictoaster/Fluxtrance.

It's amazing how some dirt decals, grass decals, trees, and other foliage act in concert to make everything flow and look cohesive.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Speaking of traffic, anyone else have this issue where the Options menu is completely unusable while ingame? I can't switch from the Graphics section to the TMPE section, or to any other section for that matter.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

serious gaylord posted:

If an asset has been removed from the workshop and isn't coming back and is now causing a 'simulation failed' error so I can't load my save, is there any way to fix it without starting again?

smods.ru has offsite backups of most Steam Workshop items. You can probably find it there.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Fall Dog posted:

Can you run the loading screen mod to try to isolate the specific asset, then remove said asset using the content manager in the title menu? I had to restart after the 81 tiles mod (I think) started doing this to me. It sucked, but I also got to cull the mods that were destroying my frame rate.

That won't fix the issue if it's an asset that's been placed or used in the save, IE, a network or building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You can get the names of the missing asset and maybe find it somewhere else tho

Yeah, use LSM to find the name of the asset and then check to see if smods.ru has it rehosted, then either download and use it forever or just long enough to remove it from your city.