Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

besides being an environmental disaster and the playground of the bourgeois?

It ain't an environmental disaster in places that regularly get rain. Instead they're just a good park spoiled.

Fried Chicken posted:

Memories Pizza has been receiving death, arson, and bomb threats all day and is presently saying they may never open again, thus reminding us all that the real ideology of internet activists is "it's ok when I do it"

It is though. Wah wah wah other people get literally killed for thousands of years and now suddenly the other side gets a 12 year old typing "u suk lol imma kill u im totally a marine" to their email, so we should really care about some dumb bigot? I hope they receive printouts of goatse in the mail for the rest of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pinball posted:

Are there any states that won't have issues with food and water in the coming years? Perhaps I should get out of Texas, if things are just going to get worse.

East of the Mississippi, North of the 35th Parallel.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

420DD Butts posted:

This quote still makes no sense to me. Who washes their hands longer because their water is restricted, aside from morons?

He confused a broken faucet for a "water restricted" faucet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Come to think of it, how are all these rear end in a top hat store owners going to even know a customer is gay before serving them? It was so much easier when they were black...

Well as we all know, The Gays walk around demanding dicks on everything at all times and also worshiping satan in public. So they're easy to spot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Taxpayer Bill of Rights laws have hosed over so many states. I wish it was possible to get them declared illegal by the supreme court.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I can't speak much for the food sourcing, but NYC has one of the best systems in any major city for water supply

Yeah, it's pretty amazing what they managed to plan and do well over a century ago to secure numerous diverse sources of water and protect the areas around them. The water system arranged for the city alone has the potential to be able to serve something crazy like 4 times the current population when the number 3 water tunnel finishes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pohl posted:

The gofundme for Memories Pizza has now raised over $700,000 dollars. http://www.gofundme.com/MemoriesPizza

:shrek:

It's going to be glorious next year when they remember they need to pay taxes on that.. I think they'd already owe something like $250,000 on that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReidRansom posted:

I tried looking into the tax thing, but I'm not really clear on how gift taxes work when there's an aggregating site like gofundme involved. There's a $14k exemption for each individual donor, but as it's all being pooled by a third party (who are also taking a cut themselves) does the nature of the whole thing change or does the individual donor relationship still exist? Or does none of that matter and it's all treated as normal income for the recipients?

The "gifts" though are to the independent guy who started the gofundme, not to the pizza place people. They will receive the so far $700k as a gift, but only the first $14k would be exempted.

So the dude who ran the gofundme probably won't have to pay any taxes, but if he actually gives it to the pizza place people they'll have to pay a bunch.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's still weird to me that lobster is even a luxury in most of the country.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

It's like grey poupon. It only costs a few bucks but if a poor person eats it then it's all the proof that someone with a yacht and a dancing horse needs that the poor are grifters who are living high off the government.

Well no, actual lobster gets pretty expensive once you start getting way inland. I'm just from close enough to the fishing grounds that it's dirt cheap.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's not weird at all that expensive things are luxuries. I don't understand :psyduck:

It's weird int he same way that finding out your middle school teachers have summer jobs is weird, calm yourself.

VitalSigns posted:

I decline your invitation to start an argument when you just reversed yourself to disagree with me.

I didn't reverse myself, you're just desperate to disagree.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

notthegoatseguy posted:

Goodwill does this in a lot of their warehouses and distribution centers. And they pay their execs a poo poo ton for a non profit.

Doing this allows people to continue to have a job at all without removing their benefits, dude. It's a system that exists solely because people demanded hard caps on any sort of government assistance programs.

Lots of people with the disabilities want to work for whatever reason, this allows them to be able to continue to recipe things like very expensive ongoing care without having to go straight from unemployed to CEO.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hollismason posted:

Wait are you being serious? I can't tell. I mean if you are there's some things you need to know...

Yes, it's literally how the law works.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

How is it decided how little they can be paid? Is it somehow based on what kind of disability they have?

It's somewhere around $0.24 an hour as the bare minimum. Typically the wage is adjusted to ensure that the worker never exceeds any limits that would start impacting their SSI/SSDI/etc eligibility.

This could be fixed if we removed the ridiculous caps on what people can earn before they stop receiving neccesary benefits: essentially by introducing full UHC.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Winner is Jew posted:

You would probably also have to institute things like housing and food for all.

Not that I'm against that in any way mind you, I think the state should collect enough taxes (especially from the rich) to make sure everyone is given food, shelter, healthcare, and an education.

For most of the people in these employment situations, if we had UHC they would be able, on a fair minimum wage job, to afford housing and food on that job and have the rest taken care of by the UHC system.

Instead if they want to work, they have to work either very short time, juggle a complicated balance of saving vs work to keep up with moving targets, or simply take very low wages in order to be able to get their food, housing and medical care covered.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Your picture of the day:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

whitey delenda est posted:

is this what the news used to be like??

Absolutely not.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

You realize the VAT he is proposing is how it's done in the rest of the western world, right?

You realize the VAT as implemented in most of the western world is horribly regressive?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rygar201 posted:

American progressives want European safety nets without European VATs. They're either not thinking it through or all Modern Monetary Theorists.

To be fair, this is probably because American taxation is often regressive and America doesn’t really transfer a lot of wealth down in government spending. European taxation is fairly regressive, but their spending is progressive.

There is absolutely no reason to use VAT to garner the necessary money when income and capital gains tax exists.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Monkey Fracas posted:

Mandatory firearms safety training in schools might not be a horrible thing.

Here's all the firearms safety training you need: don't touch guns and especially don't go around pointing them at people.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm still finding it hilarious that someone seriously suggested "firearm safety" as part of a life skills course. Don't touch a gun that ain't yours ever, done.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

In all honesty, speaking as an experienced shooter with years of interest in firearms, there isn't a whole lot that a mandatory safety class can really teach. The vast, vast majority of negligent shootings with guns has to do with violating the core safety rules:

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

Outside of these rules, learning about firearms is almost entirely marksmanship and other skill tests rather than anything that would improve your handling. And the first four are the ones most likely to cause damage when violated, and thus the ones most often repeated. A firearms safety class in school would probably last a month at the most, unless the rest was marksmanship and cleaning practice.

The vast majority of the population never owns a gun. All they need to know is "don't play with other people's guns, and especially don't mess with any that are lying around in the open".

You are describing something that's only relevant to the (shrinking) minority of people who own and use guns, it has no place in general schooling.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The PE classes in my high school were pretty cool. We had archery and bowling as well as like dance, touch football, and baseball etc. Favorite thing each year would be a tossup between archery and badminton.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Accretionist posted:

I've read that low educational attainment is largely a function of poverty, specifically, that when you control for childhood poverty in cross-country comparisons, we actually get up near the top of the pack. From this, I infer that the system would work mostly fine if not for poverty.

So, a question for any education buffs: Could extended hours be used to insulate kids from poverty? I'm imagining a trial program where a high school runs 8 to 4 with extra-curriculars as two hour modules replete with dinner service.

You need to keep in mind that a lot of kids from broke families also already have quite long trips to and from school. For a 6 hour school day a kid could easily spend 9 hours a day in school + in transit to and from, or even more. This is often a result of things like school bus routes having to take winding courses in rural areas or particularly shittily planned suburban areas (especially for, say, situations where elementary/middle schools are local, but the high school serves a wide area), or even busing not being available for whatever reason and the parents don't have the time to drive the people to school, nor can they afford or are old enough to drive themselves.

Some of the worst off kids have over 2 hours each way transport.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah I'm sure this woman would be thrown into an alleyway to give birth without her exact current insurance plan.

Have you ever not had health insurance in your life? Because you sure sound like someone who never had to deal with it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unzip and Attack posted:

You guys really do think the mother will be forced to give birth in the back of a garbage truck if the police department followed standard procedure, don't you?

It's a possibility that she will be denied adequate medical care you colossal douche. Do you also believe illegal abortions are performed in safe conditions?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Quidam Viator posted:

The idea is that if each crab, instead of panicking and trying to be on top, worked together to create a unified crab initiative, that they could all be theoretically pulled out of the bucket through unity. That would require many things: the ability for the crab to overcome the natural pressures of the danger it feels, the artificial threats created by the crabmonger, and the contagious panic of the other crabs.

I like the metaphor because it can be extended. In this case, imagine the crabmonger is the person who's put you into this pot: an oligarch. They can pick you up, push you down, and their goal is to eat you. The person in control only needs to stimulate your natural panic reflexes to get you to fight the other crabs in desperation, and stay trapped. I believe the metaphor is illustrative because it makes an absolutist claim about human behavior, and the cornerstone of human behavior is adaptability.

Let's go back to being metaphorical: even if I admit the impossibility of each of your scenarios above, I can come up with more. They don't need to team up to overpower the crabmonger. Why fight against your opponent's strength. The crabs could cling together with the fiercest pinchers at top, draw attention and bite the poo poo out of the hand. Now the crabmonger is panicked. Now the bucket has been overturned, or perhaps accidentally thrown back in the water. All of the crabs can freeze, and act like they're dead. Now the crabmonger is worried that he's killed the crabs he intends to eat, and now HE's panicking again.

My problem with the people in this thread is that they genuinely believe that we are behaviorally crab-like; that we lack the ability to think outside the bucket, and that any nonconformist ideas should be met with pinching and grabbing. I fiercely believe that there are unpredictable, wild, massively risky techniques that we can attempt as humans to escape the certain death we face if we simply keep on crabbin.

I dream of a carefully planned crab offensive that throws the human being rear end crabmonger out of the boat, opens up the bait bucket, and gives us control of the helm. Because we're HUMAN loving BEINGS. We build pyramids and write relativistic physics, and build Saturn V rockets. Just because you've always been told that human beings cannot unite, will always factionalize and kill each other, even unto their own extinction does not make it true. We are NOT crabs, and it's time to stop acting like crab-rear end dipshits.

The point of the crabs in a bucket metaphor is that people should be smarter than crabs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It says nothing about industrial sex either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Brannock posted:

Walker is going to be the candidate even though everyone pooh-poohs him every last step of the way and he's going to destroy this country.

If you haven't been following Wisconsin politics then you have no idea what you're in for.

He won't win.

Wisconsin doesn't reflect the electoral college.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

People like you are why Bernie Sanders hasn't already announced he's running

Also the fact that he's really not popular with enough people to get 270 electoral votes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gyges posted:

Scott Walker is 35? He looks like poo poo for 35.

Alternatively my friends and I look amazing for 35.

Scott Walker is 47.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

Why can't we get an HFT tax?

Because it makes no sense to have a special tax that occurs only if you do x number of transactions per day.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nope still doesn't. Why do you want to let other rich people get away with moving huge amounts of stock if they just do it less frequently?

UberJew posted:

A financial transaction tax wouldn't need to be tied to a specific frequency of trading; as long as it applied to the types of transactions HFT engages in then it would necessarily restrict it more than other financial activity.

You're still not giving me a good reason we shouldn't tax all stock activity.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Venom Snake posted:

:qq: People are using remote control planes to kill people instead of regular planes :qq:

Or more accurately "people are using remote control planes instead of remote control cruise missiles".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

The reason drones get people riled up is because their relatively small size-to-firepower ratio and lack of a pilot to endanger makes them cheap and easy to stealthily insert in an area to make precision bombardments. You can assassinate and strike point targets (as long as conditions are right) without needing to commit an entire $65 million aircraft and its necessary support crew, all without a single life being put at risk except the targets'. Making airstrikes cheaper, easier, and less risky in both lives and materiel means that the door can be opened for using them more often. This is already being seen with how often they're being used in countries like Pakistan to strike terror suspects and how many innocent lives have been turned to ground beef by them in such a short time span, with the ACLU filing a lawsuit after American citizens outside of a conflict zone were killed by them.

That's a nice theory, kid, but we've been using cruise missiles to do the same job for decades at this point, and they also don't require risking a human pilot and expensive aircraft either. If I remember right, Bill Clinton really started ramping up their use starting with early strikes against Al Qaeda and in the Balkans. They've been a workhorse for the US military ever since. They're also nearly as controllable as a drone.

You people really need to stop acting like the choice was going to be a manned plane instead most of the time.

Edit: And don't forget that nearly all of our drones require friendly territory to fly over, they can't handle any sort of serious antiaircraft defense. You'll notice we all of a sudden stopped flying them in Yemen when the government collapsed.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 14, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BougieBitch posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dark+souls+rock+band+controller&l=1

Back on topic though, there's nothing especially heinous about drone strikes other than the volume/simplicity of doing them. Basically it just means we can be as big of monsters as we've always been internationally for half the cost. As a human rights violation I don't think it is worse than Israel shooting their missiles into Palestine and vice versa, and they've been doing that for ages.

They don't really cost that much less than a cruise missile strike dude. What they're super cheap for is flying slowly over places for surveillance.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On the other hand, a JDAM costs $25,000, and can be strapped to pretty much any aircraft the Air Force feels like flying that day. The actual cost has never been the concern in planning these strikes.

Yeah it's important to remember that the military essentially has infinite budget if they want it. Price hasn't been a consideration for the military since 1941.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zeitgueist posted:

The purpose of remote death machines, be they missiles or reusable drones, is to remotely carry out war without the problems of people on the ground. I wasn't making any sort of technological argument against drones.

It feels like some of you aren't well equipped to deal with arguments that aren't in your particular set of canned responses. I'm not exactly reinventing the wheel here.

There are no people on the ground with manned planes either, hope this helps. War has been made no easier.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zeitgueist posted:

Who gives a poo poo, the perception is that we're more removed. We also don't have any chance of "our boys" getting shot down when it's a missile or a drone.

That perception exists among idiots, but I don't see what that has to do with anything. It doesn't govern how the military is actually used. And people only care about "pour boys" getting shot down as an excuse to intensify intervention.

The people who think drones cause a perception of being removed aren't behind military decisions, and the generals don't really care how many enlisted and junior officers could be lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Bill Clinton and George W Bush were both super cruise missile happy. And the cruise missiles could be shot into any sort of unfriendly territory unlike most drones which need at least airspace control by manned air forces and ground forces, so really you can use them in a lot more places than drones.

• Locked thread