Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You should add King of Dragon Pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Welp, I guess I have a reason to try out 80 days now. Not to mention they will have a surprise next week.

Carmageddon is indeed a fun game to just mess around in.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 7, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Okay Goons.
I got myself a new Nexus 6P phone. I come from a Galaxy Tab 2 which had a huge issue playing Unity based games.

Are there any great free games that require a bit of a more powerful phone? I have tried some of my old games I have on my Tab 2 that ran terribly, and they run without any problems whatsoever on the highest settings.

Or some good free games. A mix of offline and online would be good. I don't want to use too much data when not using WiFi.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

One game I was wondering about was why Leo's Fortune was so popular for performance preview videos of people testing the capabilities of devices.

Now I know why. That game is gorgeous. I have a few games in my Humble Bundle inventory I can now give a real shot

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well, I tried out Freeblade. My phone handles it without any problems. It looks great, is fun. Had to install The World Ends With You Solo Remix because it's a great game.

Any recommended (free) racing games? I do have Sonic And Sega All Stars Racing and Riptide 2 in my humble inventory.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Freeblade has amazing graphics. I notice no difference between running it in reduced resolution or full resolution except the frames drop heavily in full resolution. Guess I don't NEED to display it in quad HD to have it look great.
Cosmonautica is a little too small for my screen. Or my screen is too big for it. Either way it's really hard to see the stuff I need to click on. Everything is so small. It's more of a PC/tablet game anyways. Got the refund for that after seeing how I couldn't really play it.
Asphalt 8 is fun even if I'm terrible at it. Looks really good for a mobile game.
Summoners War isn't for me. Tried it, got to level 8, realized it's just an endless treadmill that slowly gets steeper. Like way too many other games I've played before on my Tablet. There's no gameplay. Press Auto and walk away. It has nice graphics, I guess.

I still got my Kairosoft collection, at least. All 32 titles. 33 if you count Kairo Club.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 10, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

thehoodie posted:

Anyone playing Blades of Brim? Basically like Subway Surfer but with swords and monsters and magic pets. I never played Subway Surfer much because it wasn't interesting, but I like the aesthetic of this one. Doesn't seem to be any reason to me to pay for anything either, progress occurs pretty quickly without needing to.
It's made by the same people who made Subway Surfer.

This game is fun. I checked out the link, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Best part is you get to beat up a bunch of Goons :allears:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The amazon coins are worth nothing in Canada. I still picked up the bundle for the other stuff, and you do get a bunch of chests for Pathfinder, and beta access to Super Senso.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Blades of Brim gets another endorsement from me. It's seriously one of the best endless runners I've played. I haven't even used an in-game revive and I still can usually get to the 3rd difficulty before I run out of lives/screw up. I mean Subway Surfers can be fun in short bursts, and Temple Run 2 while it has nice graphics if you max it out, it's quite boring. I just can't seem to stop playing Blades of Brim.

And no, I am not an employee of SYBO. I didn't even hear about it until this thread.

Seems the "Best" RPGs on Android are those that are ports from other systems. One port I wouldn't overlook is The World Ends With You, solely because it's a great game. The Android port makes it feel like a whole new game. It has quite a bit of changes from the DS version, but the story will be the same. The graphics have been touched up. They are a bit more cel shaded than the DS game but they still look stellar. The Soundtrack only had a couple of additions, and a song was changed, but it's still amazing. The gameplay of course is where it's at. It's easier to handle the controls when you don't need to worry about passing the puck around or trying to control both your partner and yourself at the exact same time. It just works.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

On Pathfinder, I play it on my Nexus 6P. I know if I was trying it on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, it would lag like crazy because it uses Unity. It's quite fun. I don't have much issues pressing things. You can just tap a card to view it up close. I haven't fat fingered anything either.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Oryp posted:

Any of these particularly good? At a glance I was thinking about Ticket to Ride, Talisman, and Elder Signs, and/or Please, Don't Touch This.

Ticket to Ride and Talisman are good adaptations of the Physical game.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Remember, you get a bunch of Steam keys too

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

The exploration maps will chug like rear end, once the Nexus 5 reaches throttle temperature.

I need to upgrade my phone this year... :sigh:

I have a Nexus 6P. Exploration maps chug like rear end anyways. Poorly optimized.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

mrkillboy posted:

Lumines Puzzle and Music should be available worldwide now. A different F2P Lumines game is also scheduled to be out later this year.

I decided to use my play survey credits to buy this. Also got 10% off because I subscribe to Google Play Music (6 months free with my phone and carrier)

Pretty faithful to the original. Not too much of a song selection right now. I guess the F2P version might follow the same type of rules except each album might cost more money.

I cannot comment on microtransactions at this time. If they are there, they are well hidden.

You at least get different difficulty modes. The default controls are strange to get used to.

13 different music tracks in 2 different albums. One of them is the classic Lumines album part 1 which makes me realize that there will probably be more in the future.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Justice Monsters V is out for Android.

You know, the pinball-esque game that is based on the pinball game from Final Fantasy XV.
I expected more pinball and less 'okay you have less control over your orbs than an actual pinball game' but it's still sort of fun.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yup. Scroll up on this page.

Waiting for a more long-term review, wondering if it holds up like the PSP games. Lost track of hours thanks to Lumines.

If you are directly comparing this to the PSP games, the PSP games win. There are many more gameplay modes in the PSP games. A ton more skins, too. Lots more to unlock. In this one, once you finish hard mode, you have all the skins for that music set. You just need to work on unlocking all the avatars from the skins afterwards.

So, a direct comparison doesn't really work. Controls on the PSP version are a little more precise. The visuals are a little nicer on the PSP. The music is much more varied on the PSP with much more songs. There are more gameplay options for the PSP version. If you need to choose between the mobile version and the PSP version, get the PSP version. There's just more value for your money.

BUT, that's if you're using money out of your own pocket. I have not played Live, Supernova, or Electronic Symphony. If you're using Survey Money, it's a great buy. It's a solid adaptation of the Lumines experience on a mobile device. It probably doesn't have as much long-term playtime as the original (or II), but it does have the fact it's on a mobile device going for it.

Oh, and the songs in the classic music pack are: Shinin', Aback, Talk 2 You, Holiday in Summer, Meguro, and Spirits.

I do at least recommend you going into the Advanced Settings and turning up the movement speed. The default is just too slow. Turbo is quite quick. Medium feels just right for having it without a dpad.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you like the setting of Fallen London, check out Sunless Sea on Steam.

Edit: I may have already mentioned this, oops. :shobon:

Same universe. Heck, I had a card that if I used a special thing from it, it would give me an adventure or box in Sunless Sea. I used it for a couple of items in Fallen London. I don't have Sunless Sea and can't afford it right now.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

IAmTheRad in Fallen London.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The browser version runs a little better. As long as the mobile version synchronizes properly, the browser will have the same data.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

If you ever get the whispered locked chest event, for god's sakes give it to the Zee Captain. Give it to someone else and you will need 3 fate to reverse that decision. So, about $1 to do so.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Millennial Sexlord posted:

A fun game on the s7 is "try to not die in a house fire".

Don't lose.

That's the Note 7.

Star Realms is a card game.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Nurel posted:

these would make good additions to the F2P section of the op

warhammer 40k: freeblade
you're in a WH40K titan. you get to tap the screen to shoot at mans with different weapons as the titan moves through the level on its own. theres multiplayer too which i havent tried yet, looks ok on youtube tho. good graphics and warhammer art style

HEAVILY P2W. Almost every mission is exactly the same. The graphics are nice, but the game isn't really fun.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I just mostly play Fallen London on my laptop these days. The web version runs so much better.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Seems like many of Noodlecake published games are really good.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Is that actually Ahnold in the Mobile Strike ads

Yes, he sold out for Mobile Strike.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I've been slightly addicted to Bloons TD5. Good thing I got it from a Humble Bundle quite a while ago. Used to play it on my tablet which I hardly use these days, but it's still a fun game even if you have absolutely no problem with beating most levels.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

the auschwitz diet posted:

I've read a number of people complaining about Humble Bumble's handling of android games, that they are not always current versions of the app and can run poorly on newer OS's/have long standing bugs/lack feature updates, is this a realistic complaint? Considering gifting this bundle to a friend who loves board games.

It's not really a huge concern. If you're planning on playing single player you won't see any problems, or if playing with a friend on the same device.
I doubt there will be huge changes with a board game version of an app.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Lumines Puzzle & Music now has IAP.
$6.99 for the Sekai no Owari album in Canada.

Not worth it. $6.99 for 6 new songs to play on. Glad I got the game for free using Google Survey dollars. When an album costs more than the actual game, that's a bit extreme.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I decided to grab Skyforce.
31 66 03 61

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Got a golden card that drops upgrade prices by 10%. Is this permanent?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I bought the magnet powerup.
It doesn't seem to do anything.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Wing Cannons really make the game go from 'this gun sucks' into 'Okay you die in about one hit'

In games news, New Humble Mobile Bundle.
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/handy-games-mobile-bundle

Right now, 15 games for $5 USD. More to come.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 21, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Skyforce got the Christmas update.

Daily Christmas Gifts. A Christmas tournament map.
Recommended friends which includes people who added you, and Facebook integration.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I just hope that Dual Destinies will make it to Android.

I haven't played any of the games past the DS titles.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I spent a free dollar on the gumball game. It's drat addictive.

Gave me a Terminator gumball and 50 fragments for him, too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Tips for addictive as hell Solitairica.

I have unlocked the full game.

But buy the additional decks before going to upgrade your own deck. I guess they are $0.99 by themselves?

I got the farthest I've ever gotten using the monk deck. So useful to have a stun the enemy for one turn, and another spell they have it to make your own card wild. As you usually draw just defense or agility cards as a monk, a few turns of being able to do absolutely nothing turns into 'okay now I will win'. Sad thing is that further on enemies start to hit you HARD. I lost by taking 9 damage in a turn. 6 from an enemy attack, 3 from 3 enraged cards.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Croccers posted:

What's the crappiest underpowered Android phone that can run it? :colbert:
He got it to run on a 286 afterall.

Apparantly my Galaxy Tab 2 can run it. Of course that is just going by what the Google Play store says. I only really use my tablet as a backup for authy.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The gumball airship doesn't remind me of anything.

Nothing at all.

Does not remind me of the Schleiman Tank from Rocket Slime.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

OpenRCT2 is a better version of the classic roller coaster tycoon games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

What does the Reindeer or Snowman do in Gumball and Dungeons?

I do it quickly for the easy 5 level with swordsman, spy, and gladiator.
I make sure to get knight as the first branch. I also grab the class after that gives HP when you beat an enemy. As long as I have over 90 HP when I fight the boss and have at least 3 snowballs I will win. Takes about 2 minutes. Almost no risk.