Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, but with typical game logic it'd be "crap he made it inside the door, our tanks cannot possibly shoot inside to get him!". Also going by the apparent security logic of FakeReal Chicago the tanks would be somehow hackable and Aiden would just use them to blow up the rest of the military.

"Why did we add a self destruct to our tanks?! And why can it only be activated via wifi?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How many times have we seen the cliche "bad guy proves he's bad by pretending to be nice then killing an underling please be afraid of them" thing now? I remember two but it feels like it's been more.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

bobjr posted:

I really hope Watch Dogs pulls an Assassin's Creed with old men suddenly becoming super athletic so Lucky Quinn becomes a fistfight boss.

Nanomachines, son!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Aiden isn't openly racist, that's pretty much the only thing he has over Marcinko.

That's... really not good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Geemer posted:

Holy poo poo, I was about to post something snarky like "in a mountain of poo poo, a piece of corn would look like gold" without even listening.

But god drat that poo poo's actually really good.

Now it just makes me sad that zero-effort poo poo like brentalfloss is so popular and thus good stuff like this is really rare because why put in the effort?

I had a co-worker at my last job who one time stopped working, pulled out his phone, and played the entire brentalfloss video where he sang to the tune of the moon theme from ducktales. He also grinned at me the entire time. Then when it was done he sang it himself while working and looking over at me to try to get me to sing along. He did this because he was talking about 'epic internet videos' and I never heard of brentalfloss.

This is the same coworker who pulled his PSP one time in the middle of work from his back pocket so he could show me his Persona 3 character because I offhand mentioned I played a bit of it on PS2. We worked with food.

I'm so glad I don't work there anymore.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Aiden I've found a melee subroutine on Spider Tank just in time to fight the giant boxing robot attacking Chicago! Have you ever played PunchOut?"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Why did Aiden's pants disappear when he switched genders

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Why did CToS not know the last names of the girls when by all means the system should still know who they are

Why did CToS know the first name of the girl who had no birth record

How did CToS not alert the police considering each girl you scanned displayed information pertaining to them being a sex slave

Have I completely misunderstood the core concept of the story? IS THERE a core concept to the story?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Wanderer posted:

Isn't there a throwaway line in there somewhere about how one of the reasons why Zimos is the oldest and most-loved pimp in Steelport is that he was encouraging the prostitutes to unionize? It never struck me that he was forcing anyone to do anything, so giving the "hos" to him was a pretty easy decision.

I remember Z's whole schtick was basically being as much of a non-exploitative pimp as possible. I'm pretty sure he says at some point he'll help the women you save regardless of whether they decide to work for him or not.

That and him having an autotune electrolarynx which I still think is pretty awesome.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Asimo posted:

It really says a lot about how badly the writing in Watch_Dogs was botched when it comes off as less thematically coherent than Saints Row 3, a Frankenstein's Monster of a game awkwardly stitched together from half-finished cutscenes and the inane marketing mandates of a dying publisher.

It also says a lot that a character who's entire schtick is that he or she is a sociopath maniac has rescued exponentially more people than Aiden Pearce, Vigilante and Hero.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Justin_Brett posted:

Borderlands does a show of being inclusive but even it has midgets and the mentally ill/slow as common enemy types you're meant to laugh at, so I think it kinda fits that sale.

This is what I think of whenever I read about Anthony Burch parading himself as a beacon of being inclusive :cripes: What a prick.

Also good lord this story is bland. I honestly forgot sisterwife was kidnapped for the longest time. I swear I automatically zone out whenever Aiden starts mumbling.

With that said I do like how sisterwife was like "Stop loving up everything, you're going to get us in more trouble", and Aiden was like "nuh I can prutect yuh", and now everyone's kidnapped and we're fighting some other gang because Aiden's the worst protagonist ever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly, "your superpowers are way more fun to use than stealing cars" doesn't sound like a problem to me. At the same time I feel it's necessary to start with it considering it's that progression from running around stealing vehicles to leaping over buildings hurling cars at giant aliens that makes SR4 so magical :allears:

If anything, my only 'problem' was that the side missions were so much loving fun that I 100%ed the entire map while I was about two thirds through the plot and didn't really want to keep going.

EDIT:

Accordion Man posted:

Also if you're not using the dubstep gun you're playing the game wrong.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Whizbang posted:

He's hacked into the telegraph wires and is reading all of our messages!

I actually would love to see a bunch of guys on horseback slam into each other at an intersection

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, look at that fast food place! It's called McDiabetes instead of McDonalds! Whoa! Biting social commentary from GTA! Who's writing this game, Banksy?

Hey man, what if instead of "Facebook", we called it "Lifeinvader" get it hoo boy really worked the noggin on that one I'm going on break

EDIT: I know we were joking, but actually the lifeinvader poo poo is banky as gently caress

Woah man what if we put a NO symbol over the word "Privacy" think about it man

Danaru fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 3, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The adventures of Aiden "The Fox" "The Vigilante" "Uncle-dad" "I Forget Who I'm Fighting" Pearce

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Chip Cheezum posted:

We were going to put together one of the Metal Gear themed drinks you can find, but we didn't really measure anything out so it's basically just Wild Turkey smashed together with Svedka Peach and some other poo poo I had in my apartment.

On Site Procurement, it works

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bruceski posted:

Jack as in Raiden? I thought Big Boss was John.

Jack is a nickname for John, Zero and Boss call him Jack a couple times during the Virtuous Mission right after Zero explicitly said to never use real names over radio.

I don't really understand it either, but it's better than the nick name all the Richards got stuck with.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kavingi posted:

A dad, on the other hand...

Everyone knows Dadhacks are more powerful than Unclehacks.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Manatee Cannon posted:

at least one of those two is gonna die anyway, it's inevitable

Narrative-wise I kind of want sisterwife to die just so maybe Aiden can realize literally all he did in his quest to get revenge was get the rest of his family killed.

I know he won't actually learn anything and the story will still spin him as some kind of hero, but... :smith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tao Jones posted:

"Evade the Ye Olden Times cops/foil the Templars by hacking the Animus and inserting a tank into the memory" would be an interesting mechanic for an Assassin's Creed game.

Wasn't that the plot to Saints Row 4?

By which I mean it's an awesome idea. Hell just hack Spider Tank into the animus, they've got all the models and animations done already

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly don't remember most of the characters in this game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

bhlaab posted:

Every open world game since San Andreas would be improved a million times over if they stopped bloating up the optional filler bullshit and instead focused on making the missions--the meat of the game-- interesting. In Watch_Dogs you spend much of the time doing the same poo poo you were doing in GTAIII 15 years ago. And even in GTAIII when those activities were brand new they were designed largely around 'how easy is this to implement' instead of 'how fun is this'

This is the absolute truth. There's a difference between fun collectibles and "oh cool I get to follow an internet guide for a couple hours because there's no loving way I'm finding all this bullshit on my own."

As much as I liked Assassin's Creed 2, gently caress everything about those feathers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The finale should be a written apology from everyone involved

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OldMemes posted:

Is Beyond Good and Evil 2 offically vapourwave now? I'm wondering how much of Watch_Dogs budget could have been spent on that instead, rather than manufacturing Aiden's iconic cap (tm) and jacket.

If Shenmue can get a third game we should be able to get a drat Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Also Dark Cloud 3

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Waffleman_ posted:

I would accept Watch_Dogs 2 if it pulled a Blood Dragon and went full Blade Runner/Shadowrun pink mohawk 80s cyberpunk.

Actually hell yes this is exactly how this series should go

Spider-Tank lives

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

bhlaab posted:

Well I mean it's not like they could introduce a new villain in the final mission or anything

I mean this is bad, but it's no Dead Island :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Psi Ops is also the only one out of the three that deserved a sequel :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hey. Hey, let me ruin this for you.

Servbots are just Minions who speak English.

Take it back

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Serperoth posted:

So Martin Shkreli, that guy that raised the price of that AIDS drug, and has overall been a douchenozzle, got scammed when trying to the only buyer of the new Kanye West album.
He has assembled a team to help him get his 15 million back.

Aiden Pearce is one of them.

Jesus christ it looks like a "spent ten minutes on /b/ anonymous is legion, guys" convention.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only time I've ever played Monopoly without it ending in a fist fight was because we played online and were in different countries.

I would have gotten stabbed otherwise.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I would have lived The Bureau if it weren't for the blatant bullet sponges. It felt like you were shooting everything with nerf

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TwoPair posted:

Man the Patriots really hosed up their programming on when the clones would degrade. I mean, I know the timeline is kinda shaky and hard to track (and IIRC MGS5 kinda retcons it a little) but Solid starts rapid-aging in like, his 30s, but Big Boss kept on truckin' being the ~best soldier ever~ into his 50s if Peace Walker onwards are canon

(yes I know the actual reason is because Kojima really doesn't plan his story out ahead of time)

To be fair the whole reason they made the clones degrade is in case they started working against the Patriots

which, well

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Metal Gear is a series all about bad dads

Big Boss to Eli and Dave
Huey to Otacon
Campbell to Meryl
Solidus to Raiden
Miller's dad bailed out on him and his mom
Ocelot was born on a loving combat zone beach in D-Day because both of his parents thought that was cool

It's lovely dads all the way down, the only good dads are Otacon, Dolph, and Raiden. Maybe Gurlukovich if you consider raising your kid as a mercenary as okay.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Otacon please find someone who neither plans to kill your friends nor is a family member

Otacon please

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The two main characters and bookends to the Illuminati-esque conspiracy that covered the entire series getting to have closure is a way better ending than Snake just offing himself then roll credits :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zereth posted:

I thought they just seemed to but didn't actually do so? If you check again shortly afterwards they're back down to where they should be.

As a chronic motion detector abuser, they definitely charge your batteries for real

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Fun facts about Big Boss:

- Scared of Vampires
- Can lift giant robots when necessary
- Speaks Cat
- May or may not have killed and eaten a dinosaur at one point
- Knows Kojima personally
- Might know Santa personally
- Has met an unreasonable amount of ghosts
- One of those ghosts gave him magical uniforms that made him hard to see, the other one gave him a magical uniform that made him a kinda vampire
- Balloons

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Ocelot is gayer than my boyfriend, who is dating a man.

The only man Ocelot didn't betray or ruse was Big Boss. This includes Ocelot rusing Ocelot at least twice.

Frankly the entire MGS series is about Ocelot's mancrush saving the world against Zero being a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Simsmagic posted:

How could you not be though

• Locked thread