Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So... Turns out I won't have the time to replay 2 before next week and the guy who put up all those saves had the tattoo removed...Would any goon have a handy save with Adda's curse lifted, Aryan alive, Blue-Stripes Tattoo, Iorveth's path, Stennis alive, freed Saskia and spared Letho and Sile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Archimago posted:

I have this with completionist autism on sidequests. But I did not save Saskia, I saved Triss. But I did get the dagger with the Iroveth mini quest after the fact (which means potentially can be saved later and the city doesn't turn into a blood bath and you get to kill all the Nilfgaardians). I can upload it if that's close enough.

Oh, it most certainly is close enough if I can't find the whole thing, bless your heart if you do.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Archimago posted:

Hope it is of some use to people without save files but who made all the Right Choices. :smug:

Thanks!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, on my second playthrough of Witcher 2 I actually used Quen a lot less and actually had way more fun with the combat, as I could do something other than bumble my way into success.

I will probably be using a lot, a lot of combat drugs and bombs.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Timett posted:

How do I get into the crypt area behind the Place of Power in the starting zone? I run past the wraith there and there is a gate that doesn't seem possible to open. Trying to get down there for the Scavenger Hunt: Viper Gear quest.

Throw Aard at the door.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edit: Doublepost.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Feenix posted:

Any advice for a good second skillpoint? I got sun and stars for the first...

You can be quite sure you will be stabbing things with your fast attack in every build, so you can be sure Muscle Memory is one skill that won't go to waste no matter what.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

To be honest I think (not know) the starting armor is just there to teach you that items can be upgraded, like other posters have said you will easily leave White Orchard with a better outfit.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fuligin posted:

I'm playing on PS4 and for some reason no matter what when I'm running around off the horse the camera keeps dipping super low to zoom in on Geralt's rear end, unless I'm constantly fiddling with the right stick. It's really annoying.

A lot of work was put on motion capturing that rear end and you drat better admire it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Insect Court posted:

Are there any story consequences to getting too "friendly" with various sorceress? Particularly the one in Velen, but more generally if Geralt bangs everything with a skirt does it cut you out of certain endings to the whole Yennifer subplot? I sort of assume she'd take notice, but this is a Witcher game so :shrug:

Yennefer is probably sleeping around Skeelinge too, if it makes you feel better. They're both fine with it, she's just mad about Triss because she was her friend.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Davoren posted:

Where can I actually find someone to make weapons? I found the Serpent school schematics in White Orchard but the craftsman there and the one in Velen don't seem to have them in their crafting lists.

Try the Nilfgaardian blacksmith in the White Orchard base.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Where do I find this notice?

On the notice board in White Orchard.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

theDOWmustflow posted:

Sidenote: I really wish items could be consumable from the inventory screen. It's cumbersome to have to swap out potions two at a time. My heart goes out to alchemy speccers.

But they are. Just press E on the keyboard from the inventory while they are highlighted, don't know what it'd be on the controller.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZenVulgarity posted:

I don't have swallow

nevermind I do it heals rear end and for like ten seconds

Mix it with food, you can pretty much get a full heal with some bread and swallow.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Darth Windu posted:

Does this game really expect me to beat seven drowners all at the same time? What difficulty was this intended to be played on? Even using thunderbolt and necrophage oil, I can't stop rolling for one second because I get stunlocked by one and dogpiled by the rest. I guess I could dodge around and use igni repeatedly but that will take forever and be incredibly boring and I still might lose. What a lovely game.

You can either maneuver in a way that won't let them surround you or throw bombs, several of them are pretty much made to deal with tightly packed uh... Packs.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Archimago posted:

Ah. On Death March with stock quen I've yet to find anything that doesn't immediately blow it up, with the exception of the mud throwing poo poo from Water Hags.

Quen starts to take extra hits on Death March when your Sign intensity goes up, it is pretty funny when attacking alghouls.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nakar posted:

His suffering is important, but not because it justifies anything he says or does. His suffering to fix things is important, because Geralt is showing him that he hosed up and his wife is in the spot she's in because of him and if he wants to fix things it's going to be hard and he's going to have to actually try. And again, it's not about who "deserves" the opportunity to redeem themselves. Nobody "deserves" that, but he gets the chance because he lucked into Geralt. Other people live and die as shitheads or get slaughtered for no reason. poo poo sucks and sometimes the unworthy get another chance and maybe it works out in some fashion (or not, depending on Geralt's own decisions and what he thinks is more important, maybe four children are more important than a batshit wife and her shithead husband).

Continuing the CIA Family Matters discussion: What exactly happens to the children when the spirit frees them? A friend said they were just gone from the game, but maybe he just didn't find them or didn't pay attention. I mean, if we are lacking information the tree spirit might just have eaten them herself or turned them into wolves or sent them to an orphanage or... Is there an actual answer?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zoo06 posted:

I believe Geralt also banged her already at some point in the books.

Yeah, soon after they meet in the first book of the saga.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

As fantastic as this game is, any sequence involving a chase is clunky and hilarious. Even the improved controls just don't support any kind of running sequence, and horses occasionally choose to stop for seemingly no reason while they have plenty of stamina.

I was just in a foot chase related to a quest called Carnal Sins and the entire sequence was jarringly nonsensical.

Someone tells Geralt that a bad guy just exited the room they're in, and the camera pans to the door. Cut back to the gameplay and I'm... no longer in the room. I'm standing on a stairway facing the door Geralt apparently just came through. So now I have to turn around and maneuver a stairway with a tight turn. Go outside and I can see the guy - great! Only, a pack of dogs comes after me. Logically, I sprint past them to keep the bad guy in my line of sight. Around the next corner I still see him for an instant. Only he disappears behind a bush, and now a squad of guards is in my way. I try to run past them (again, to keep the actual bad guy in my sights) and he has magically disappeared. There are no tracks, all doors are locked.

Do note that there is a very good reason why the felon evaded you so easily, and that you don't need to kill the guards for the scene to advance.

That said I entirely agree that every foot or horse chase in the game has terrible gameplay.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

Actually gently caress it, all Witcher contracts should be able to end in Gwent with the monster

No, but you get their card after killing them instead of a trophy.

God, I hope this becomes a mod.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GrossMurpel posted:

It's your own drat fault for still eating meat at level 20.

My Geralt has gone straight up boozetafarian after unlocking alt-Quen.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Holy poo poo. This new quest Fool's Gold is the best thing in the world.

When I stumbled upon it in Lurtch I thought it was just some random small world quest where you beat up some thugs, have a line of dialog, and move on. Didn't even realize it was the DLC I just installed, and goddamn it is amazing. Also cause I found it exploring the first thing I saw was a house with pigs in it, but figured it was a bug or some joke. Didn't realize what was happening until I started the questline

What is the recommended level?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sauer kraut posted:

They met way before that, I think when Geralt encounters the gold dragon (saskia's dad) and saves him.
Then they meet again in Novigrad, Dudu is there too. Eh just watch the Hexer TV series :)

Nah, they were buddies around that time already. Dandelion is Geralt's best friend because they've known each other for a long time and been through a whole lot of stuff together.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

King's Gambit: What happens if you decide to go with Hjalmar instead of helping Cerys with her investigation?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Aurain posted:

Was it really necessary to split the Wolf armour hunts into 6 parts?

Well, they did promise 200 hours to 100% the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NESguerilla posted:

Haha. There's just random civilians like that too and I've never been able to figure out if it was a bug or someone has a weird sense of humor. Doesn't help that it sort of looks like a diaper.

Well, it is supposed to be summer given how long the days are, so it is probably hot as hell, specially near the swamps.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JetsGuy posted:

Did a fun quest at Skellige, killed a wraith, forced an rear end in a top hat lightkeeper off an island. Then the cool bro who gave me the quest and I got into a fist fight at the bar. They murdered cool bro and I kiled them in self defense. Of course I get thrown in jail because no one testified on my behalf. I'm so glad I had mind trick because I was too annoyed to figure out the "real" way out of that prison

Actually, I was more annoyed when I googled and found out that I did nothing wrong and that the murder of cool bro is unavoidable.

Wait, that fight never happened on my playthrough, but I didn't directly antagonise those dudes when I walked into the bar, so cool bro is still around. Either that or it didn't trigger when I came back.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

echronorian posted:

So I'm pretty deep in the game and I can't stop wondering why do geralt and his company of sorceress and elves keep hanging out and meeting up in the ONE city that wants to kill them? They could all meet in Oxfurt, right? Where no one wants to set them all on fire?

Oxenfurt is Radovid's capital, it is just that it doesn't have a large non-human population to be targeted and the Mages had ran out to Novigrad first.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scandalous posted:

Just finished the new DLC quest, Cat and Wolf, and some comments on the end: I let the Cat chap drink a potion before I fought him and he threw a bomb that blinded me for 60 seconds. Seemed pretty fuckin excessive.

What level is it and where can you find it?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope the promised modding tools do come along and someone is crazy enough to remove leveling from the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I felt Oxenfurt was lacking in content given its size, but then the first expansion is supposed to be set there, so I guess we'll spend a fair amount of time in the city by the end of the year.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Subterfrugal posted:

Yen's card is slightly more useful, she's still terrible though.

Slightly? It is a medic card, it is a hell of a lot more useful! Triss is the weakest hero card in the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Palpek posted:

What also shows that Letho didn't set Geralt up was that Letho tells him that when he saw Geralt behind Foltest shortly before assassination he was sure he's done for by this freak coincidence because Geralt should immediately recognize him. That's when he learned that Geralt has amnesia (or that Geralt's amnesia isn't just a gossip, I don't remember) which let him go through with the plan.

I must say that the last conversation with Letho in Witcher 2 was extremely satisfying. You could really ask the guy about everything and get answers to most of the questions. It could be so long (if you wanted to) that by the end of it you had a feeling that the game really wrapped up and fighting him isn't necessary to get closure. I thought that was very nicely executed from a game design point of view.

Yeah, it actually felt like a proper climax, to get all those answers after a tense conversation, which is more than many games have accomplished with boss fights. I am on the saving Letho team, given he was only in this situation because he was taking care of Yennefer after helping Geralt find her, and had just rescued Triss from Radovid's mage genocide. There was no way I'd kill him.

So, how about that New Games + mode, uh?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah. As stated previously in this thread, it would have probably been more of a headache for CDPR to create and implement, but instead of Geralt of Riva, the Butcher of Blaviken, the White Wolf, the best swordsman in the north, needing to gain levels before he can hunt something is kinda silly. You should have access to 3/4 of the skills from the get-go, with alt-signs and alt-sword attacks gated behind putting some points into their respective trees, and everything is fightable from the beginning, but some things would require you to gain some extra skills/knowledge/equipment to better fight the monster/enemy. I am no videogame developer, but I think they could have come up with some sort of system so the enemies were more uniform but prep work would have been more important. Or something. Make it so mutagens make you more powerful rather than going in decoctions (while keeping decotions - adds opportunity cost :eng101: ).

God, I hope New Game+ is close to what you just described.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beeez posted:

One thing I wanted to ask about Ciri, if she's supposed to have special magic powers why don't those replace Geralt's signs? All she can do to fight is swing her sword.

Ciri was trained as a sorceress, but (book spoilers) she burnt out her powers through literally channeling fire, completely ignoring Yennefer's instruction to never ever ever ever tap magical essence from flame.

But hey, it sort of saved her from dying in the middle of a desert.
So she now only has her dimension-hopping powers.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 3, 2015

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Litany Unheard posted:

I loaded a save to see if missing achievements would be given retroactively, but it looks like you'll need to complete them again with the patch installed. Noooooooooooooooooo :negative:

Steam Achievements Manager is my friend.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, we have mod tools now, I guess?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Where is that Archgriffin, anyway? Might as well give him a try before NG+ hits.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

New Game+, where you start the game again with your endgame stats and equipment, with the difficulty adjusted to match. It is the last piece of free DLC the Wild Hunt is getting.

Aye Doc posted:

in skellige north of the ancient crypt waypoint on an island

Ace, thanks.

Talk about an easy fight if you have Alchemy and the poison skill with Hybrid Oil.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, for anyone tapping into New Game+, did they rebalance encounters with anything but adding +levels to things?