Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Butt Ghost posted:

Wait, the Book of Mormon is an actual writing?

Yes. The actual, real rear end Mormons Latter Day Saints have it as holy scripture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Vampire medicine is no slouch, despite being often outshone by its competition.

I assume you're referring to German medicine.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like how DIO had, like, fifty chances to kill Jotaro and just decided "Nah, I'm going to draw this out longer. There's no way anything bad could come of THAT. :v:"

I really don't think that was what happened. Dio held off from going for the kill because he didn't believe he could safely press the attack. He was terrified that Jotaro had some trick he wasn't aware of that would reverse the situation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Let me explain why "I Found Something Dangerous" is one of the best arcs in Part 4.

First, some contxt: Josuke grew up never knowing his father, and resented him for leaving his mother and leaving her heartbroken. When his father finally decides he wants to acknowledge his son by including him in his will, Josuke initially refuses him. It's takes extreme circumstances for Josuke to be willing to meet with his father at all, but afterwards he wants nothing more to do with him.

In "I Found Something Dangerous," Joseph discovers an abandoned child and takes care of it while trying to reunite her with her family. There's an interesting interlude where Joseph goes to buy diapers and necessities for the baby, but because he isn't sure of the babies needs, he just buys everything. In effect, he tries to compensate for his ignorance through his wealth.

Efforts to take care of the baby are hindered by the fact that, to protect itself, the baby can make herself "invisible." Josuke doesn't understand the purpose of the invisibility since, despite ostensibly being protective, it actually puts the baby in more danger because it keeps other people from helping her. Joseph, however, better understands the invisibility as an emotional response to stress, specifically the stress of being around strangers.

After Joseph moves to protect the baby from a careless stanger, he bumps the stroller the baby was in, and it looks like the baby accidentally falls into the river. Because the baby is invisible, there is a significant danger that the baby will be washed away--never to be reunited with her family. In responce, Josuke blames his father, cuts him off, and tries to rescue the baby himself.

Josuke can't do it alone. It takes Joseph intervening at the risk of his life for the baby to be found again.

Josuke is flatly astonished. Would Joseph seriously endanger himself for some stranger's kid? (Take note of his expression.)

We never do learn if Joseph would do it for some stranger's kid, but we learn he'd do it for his son.

In effect, "I Found Something Dangerous" is about Josuke connecting to his absentee father, and his father choosing to make a real sacrifice (not just a monetary one) in order to be apart of his sons life. It's about reuniting the "invisible" baby with her family.

This is also why Part 4 ends with Josuke stealing his fathers wallet. In response to his fathers selflessness, Josuk chooses to accept his inheritance.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 14, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I tlike to think it's also a bookend to Joseph's part in the story. Both the first time and last time you see him he's getting his wallet stolen by a kid.

...gently caress.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dias posted:

Always remember, Crazy Diamond can't "fix" broken bank accounts.

The best part about Shigeki's Harvest is, after all of Josuke and Shigeki's schemes, Okuyasu just pulls a winning lottery ticket out of the trash.

That's the best part.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Shonen Bat is some kind of disturbing Jotaro/Josuke fusion.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's not a nice watch at all

Now that I see it up close, his watch looks like crap.

But you don't have to worry about that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

multijoe posted:

Harvest is a great chapter and I respect Shigechi for starring in it.

I know we all love "Let's Go Out for Italian" and "We Found Something Dangerous!" but for my money Shigechi's Harvest is the absolute highest point of part 4.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Moltrey posted:

Weird that Kira had his hand fetish since he was a kid, but didn't take Reimi's hand. I guess it's harder to take hands as girlfriends when you can't explode the rest attached to it.

I also always liked we never saw Reimi's wounds despite every other act of violence else in this series, because what Kira did is just that hosed up

I want to say this is addressed at some point, although I can't quite remember where. I think the deal was that Reimi was his first kill, and he didn't really know what he was doing at the time.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

standard owl posted:

Reimi was killed 16 years ago when she was age 16, and Kira is currently 33 or 34? They probably went to high school together :ohdear:

Did anyone ever wonder what Hazamada would be like if he was actually willing to act on his impulses toward that girl he liked?

Well, here you go.

hoobajoo posted:

Oku, ice cream for breakfast every day? Really? Those other good boys at school should set a better example.

As someone who's gone through high school while living with his single father, ice cream for breakfast is very understandable.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 8, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Exercu posted:

Agreed. A lot of Kira's inner monologue revolves around him being smart enough etc. to be number one in school, but deliberately not doing so and getting third places instead. But whenever we see him actually getting into a battle with the duwang gang, they pretty much always outwit him in one way or the other and pretty much whenever someone proves that he's not as smart as he thinks he is, he loses it.

Stallion Cabana posted:

my opinion on Kira is that even if he had totally tried his best all those third place trophies would be second place instead. Second place in the whole school is still really impressive! Just not quite as good as he thinks he is

I took it that, as a consequence of purposely avoiding distinguishing himself, he's never had to become familiar with adversity. So despite the fact that he is very capable of knuckling down (no pun intended) when under pressure, he's never become comfortable doing so. He's inexperienced, and he makes rookie mistakes.

It's not that he is or isn't as smart as he thinks he is, so much that intelligence isn't a substitute for practice. As tenacious, as capable, and as outright powerful as he is, his two fights against the Duwang Gang are the only two stand battles he ever fights.

It's a very Fox and the Hedgehog situation, where the moment he can't rely on his one trick (avoiding notice) he's not quite capable of adapting.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 10, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Except Rohan doesn't gently caress around with Josuke's mom.

You do not mess with Tomoko.

I think this is exactly it. Josuke can forgive people attempting to kill Koichi, Okuyasu, or Joseph. But when someone threatens his mother, they're not even allowed to die.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Llab posted:

I'm kind of sad the second OP made him look actually okay.

It's just Davidpro being faithful to the manga.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

a cartoon duck posted:

my one wish is for some fundamentalist christian group to learn about Steel Ball Run so they can get mad about that Jesus' body is still on earth and it's giving people satan powers

If I'm not mistaken, most of the concept concerning Jesus coming to America is actually derived from the Book of Mormon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Reimi was definitely exploded. That's the whole reason she can recognize Kira's other victims.

She didn't lose her hand, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Moltrey posted:

It's also possible Kira still does the massive scar thing since we never see him kill when the fingernails tell him to/when he gets the undeniable compulsion, just out of "necessity" or when he thinks someone is a threat and he certainly doesn't have the time for that then.

Wasn't that exactly what happened when he was caught by his son*?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think Shigechi's Harvest is long enough to take up the full two episodes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Harvest is so drat good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I want to hear all the bad jokes Jotaro told Jolyene

We aren't told the jokes, we just see the effect it has on Jolyne.

This makes it all the more terrifying for the audience.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Momomo posted:

I dunno if it would really improve it that much. I mean, that would introduce Kira and then like immediately make him an antagonist. Also you'd have two people die back to back, it'd be kind of weird.

I feel the biggest problem is the awkward segue from Shigechi's terrible death to Koichi's further wacky adventures in love.

Moltrey posted:

david if next week is yukako wants to be cinderella part 1, i will drop this show like a drat stone for two weeks (i will probably not actually do this)

Would Cinderella even be a two parter?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

no they will not posted:

Why the gently caress would a girl have a boob window

You should know better than to expect fanart to make sense.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This is completely off the current topic, but I just realized something and I feel the need to share it.
Traditionally, the artwork on the Temperance tarot card depicts a woman mixing wine and water, diluting the alcoholic content of the wine.

Rubber Soul is defeated when his liquid stand is dispersed in water.

Thank you for your time. You may now return to your regular Kira hype.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nitrousoxide posted:

Edit: oh hey JoJo showing some backbone.

showing some knucklebone, rather

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Now I'm imagining Kira going into Tonio's shop, handless, being like "hey you got some ravioli that'll fix this"

Ah, but tragically, Tonio only knows what delicious Italian dishes best cure your ailments by reading your palm lines, so the condition is untreatable!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been holding off on reading Vento until the whole thing was retranslated, and I am tremendously concerned that it cannot possibly live up to the expectations born from that twitter account.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mr. stefan posted:

Its really common for manga artists of Araki's generation and earlier to reuse characters and ideas as parts of otherwise completely different works. Skull Man and Cyborg 009 show up in a shitload of Shotaro Ishinomoris work without being related to their respective series, for instance, and a lot of Go Nagai's manga have Cutey Honey or Mazinger show up without explanation.

I think Osamu Tezuka referred to his character designs as a troupe of actors he could cast in different parts. It's not at all uncommon, even now days, although it has a reputation as being a bit old fashion.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Moltrey posted:

when Jesus shows up and says "Everything is circular....if it rotates"

like loving thanks dude...i guess??

That sounds like something I'd read in a physics equation, like "presume a spherical cow."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
My favorite thing about Yoshihiro is how Kira just absolutely does not give a gently caress about him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rodyle posted:

Joshuu what was even the point of that

About 18 inches up his chin.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Daxing Dan posted:

A friend hooked me up with some photos from the Jojoveller Stand Book, so I've been translating the comments from Araki included with it. So far, I've finished Part 3 and Part 4. You guys might find it interesting.

Wait, Mikitaka had a stand?!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I didn't remember that he named it, I just remembered he couldn't see other stands.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Acts one through three were not battle ready.

This one is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Honestly, and I hesitate to even bring this up, but Superfly could probably be excised entirely and it wouldn't be a tremendous loss.

Not that I expect (or want) that to happen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RareAcumen posted:

drat, just completely remove Mikitaka from the story entirely, why do you?

I would never advocating such a thing because Josuke making new friends only to immediately put them to use in money making schemes will never not be funny.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dumb posted:

superfly is my least favorite part of the entire series, i could not get through it fast enough. but i'm torn because i love mikitaka

how about we keep mikitaka turning into/from binoculars, but after looking through them and seeing the electrical tower Josuke and Okuyasu just decide not to investigate

then we fill the rest of the time with Jotaro reading off fish facts

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I imagine it must be extremely difficult tying one so that the skull is at the appropriate location on the knot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doc V posted:

-shot in Spain (Sitges and Barcelona)

Okay, since Beautiful Duwang is basically a character in and of itself, does this count as white washing?

Edit: I may be facetious.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 28, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
In the final chapter Joushuu just unbolts Gappy into his two constituent people, who are both fully healed and completely healthy.

He reveals he could have done it at any time, if he felt like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fractalairduct posted:

we all know that dio's stand would be [HOLY DIVER]

[Can't Touch This]