Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Funky Valentine posted:

Jolyne's birthday is a religious holiday among SPW wprkers.

It's technically a holiday, but in actuality everyone works twice as hard on such occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

StalkofWheat posted:

Full version of Great Days is out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEwi_3dll8c

that rewind at 2:40... its too beautiful

Uhh... holy poo poo?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I know that it barely even registers as far as Weird poo poo That's Happened In Jojo's, but the whole cat-plant thing is still pretty loving bizarre.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raserys posted:

this is literally impossible, as araki has transcended death

It's not a matter of Araki dying, it's a matter of Araki choosing to conclude Jojo's.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raserys posted:

One cannot happen without the other

Araki brought Jojo's into this world, should he so choose, he can take it out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Daxing Dan posted:

(TL Note: "Yare yare daze" means oy vey in Japanese)

"oy vey" the meaning of which is untranslatable given the subtle nuance of the Yiddish language

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Condiv posted:

Check out this cool pic I found of koichi and koichi jr. posing together

This is the real way Koichi should have gotten Yukako off of his back, "this is what our kid will look like."

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It is incredibly wrong to call the last arc "the invincible crazy diamond". Exceptionally wrong.

I mean, the final arc is called Kureji Diamondo wa Kudakenai and not Muteki no Kureji Diamondo or however you'd phrase that so it is literally wrong as well as morally wrong.

He is however an invincible unbeatable and beautiful stand who is the greatest of all stands in JoJo.

Muteki no Kureji Diamondo is my favorite early 80's robot cartoon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Crazy Diamond is not Crash

Heavy Sigh posted:

Diego's World actually added a lot to SBR, since it's both an illustration of what Valentine's plan would've ended up being (insane god-king rules USA) and where Johnny's Dark Determination would've led him if not for his friends.

Also consider how Valentine offered to bring back Gyro. Diego from another world shows what would have happened had Johnny accepted.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 3, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

🎯

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hoobajoo posted:

And because of no Stands, Josuke would have never gotten sick at 4 years old, never met the kind-hearted ruffian who saved him, and as a result would not have a pompadour.

Truly, the darkest of all timelines.

Yes, but think how much better he'd be at Gradius if he didn't have to spend so much time on his hair.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

To elaborate on this, not the events of part 4, but the remaining episodes would lose a lot of tension knowing that Jotaro and Koichi survived.

I think this is more of a spoiler with Koichi than Jotaro.

After all, Jotaro wouldn't survive his own part just to die in someone else's.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

standard owl posted:

god C-MOON's face is just so hosed up. very bad man to look at, bad to see and take in with the eyes

It's half-way between Los Vegas style dancing girl makeup and Dia de los Muertos skull makeup.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
No, see, assuming space and time are different aspects of a single continuum, teleportation and time travel are the same thing!

Unless it's a slow teleportation that respects the speed-of-light barrier.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's kind of appropriate you brought up KC because that explanation is needlessly overcomplicated to the point of deception.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rand Brittain posted:

It's impressive how many explanations of Bites the Dust I can read and still not understand how it works.

As I understand it:

To activate Bites the Dust, Kira sets a condition and moves his stand into a person. As it happened, the condition was "someone discovers Kira's identity" and the person is Hayato.

From that point onwards, things proceed normally until or unless that condition is met. If so, time rewinds to the point Kira first activated Bites the Dust. Then, things proceed as before, with only the person who the stand is inhabiting (Hayato) being aware that time has gone back and therefore able to effect change--and even then the amount of change they can effect is limited to matters concerning the condition.

For example, Hayato cannot save the teapot in subsequent timelines because the teapot is not a factor in "someone discovering Kira's identity." While Hayato might potentially have been able to protect Rohan initially, once Rohan had been killed in one timeline, he's not a factor in later timelines--and so his fate is unchangeable.

Time continues to rewind until the condition Kira original set either doesn't or can't be met. Which is to say, until no one is left alive to look for Kira or until they fail to discover him.

Alternatively, until Kira withdraws Bites the Dust and lets time proceed as normal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That is to say:

whenever something specific happens.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Meme Emulator posted:

I think its gonna be the latter. We never even saw Speed King and its power was only hinted at and never revealed so it could be something with broader applications. Also Speed King just doesnt sound like the name of a final boss stand, its not bombastic enough. Maybe Caato is Ace of Spades

Turn of a Friendly Card

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kira looking handsome as gently caress

It's one thing to wear the clothes.
It's another thing to have the confidence.

Kira's got both.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Moltrey posted:

the bit where Killer Queen keeps flashing over Kira's face looks rad as hell can't wait can't wait can't waaaaait

oh yeah that is absolutely rad as all hell

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Johnny Joestar posted:

gappy fathering twins because he has 4 balls is entirely a thing araki would do and i've fully expected it ever since i read jojolion

If part 10 stars twins it needs to be called Jo/Jo's Bizarre Adventure.

Also they should each have naturally two-toned hair.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

On hiatus until the conclusion of Berserk.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I'd class any Prince reference as under the R&B umbrella,

Eat your breakfast, Koichi.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BaDandy posted:

Also, poo poo like Star Finger, even if it's incredibly silly, makes sense when you think of Stands as spirits and not actual people, like how they had HG and SC shrink for the Lovers fight. Like if Stands can shrink, they can probably do other weird body poo poo too.

Star Finger has only really become strange in hindsight. On it's own it's perfectly fine, especially in conjunction with stands shrinking to fight in a man's brain, stands expanding their lungs to inhale an evil smoke, and so on. There's this sense that a person's stand has potential to do a lot of bizarre things, if it's user is creative enough to think of it and audacious enough to try it.

It's only later on, after it's been established that any given Stand will have mostly well defined abilities and limitations, that things like Star Finger become strange.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hoobajoo posted:

My personal feeling is if someone sees the first episode of Phantom Blood, and nothing about it makes them want to continue, knowing that it only gets better from there, they probably won't like any of JoJo unless they are really picky about some arbitrary things. But if you're confident they'd like Part 4 but not the rest, I guess just show them Part 4 and see where that goes.

I really disagree with you, here. Part 1 is good on the whole, but the first few episodes are a slow burn and not at all representative of the rest of the series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hoobajoo posted:

PB isn't representative of what JoJo is like even by the end of PB, but it has the pulpy melodrama, signature color shifts, emotionally-realized characters, and Dio being Dio everywhere. Those were all things that I saw and made me curious and want to watch more, and even though the rest of the series isn't a Downton Abbey-esque story of a good boy and his lovely adopted brother, a lot of what makes JoJo special is all there in the first episode. I think if someone saw all of those things and none of them spoke to that person or made them want to see more, I don't think I would show them the rest.

I think that is very much a mistake. Just watching the first two episodes, for example, would give you the impression that the entire series is just a very stylized "Downton Abbey-esque story of a good boy and his lovely adopted brother." It's extremely misrepresentative of not just Jojo as a whole, but even of the latter parts of Part 1.

I say this as someone who, after hearing about how cool Jojo was a few years ago, read the first few chapters of Part 1, got absolutely bored with it, and stopped reading.
Then when the anime came out, I thought, "I'll give this another try," watched the first two episodes, didn't get too attached (although it was admittedly very stylish) and stopped watching.

It was nearly a year later that I chanced into watching the first episode of part 2 that I actually fell in love with the series.

I still haven't gone back to watch the rest of part 1. I guess I will eventually, but I'm not in a big hurry.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Race Realists posted:

:lol: its like the animators just threw up their hands and said "gently caress it"

Collision detection is complicated, you have to be wiling to forgive clipping errors every so often.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Willsun posted:

Would anyone blame me if I said it's just a huge deus ex for Kira and its rules are horribly written?

It's drat close, given that "a polaroid floats down from Mount Olympus providing a convenient solution to the heroes problem" is the traditional Greek meaning, I believe.

The biggest difference is that a traditional deus ex machina solves every problem and closes the narrative, whereas Bites the Dust actually ramps up the tension in preparation for the actual climax.

Or in other words, Bites the Dust makes the story better, so it doesn't matter if it is or isn't a deus ex machina.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 31, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

StalkofWheat posted:

The only thing Araki Forgot™ is how to draw big muscly beefcakes.

Personally, I prefer the taller, lankier Jotaro that modern Araki drew over original flavor linebacker Jotaro.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

except for the part were he is an abomination against nature.

ain't none of us perfect

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FirstAidKite posted:

This is just Shigechi in drag, Araki.

That's just Killer Queen in clothing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

So I have read/watched 5 parts of JoJo now (1, 2, 3, 4, 7) and every time I feel like it ends abruptly. I suppose having a few old characters at the start of every part eases you into it but the ending of Part 7 was basically the frozen screen and caption from old movies.

"Then Johnny went to Italy and did some things, THE END" and 'Don't You Forget About Me' plays

If any of the parts deserve to end like an old movie, though, it'd be the western.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
For the purposes of this exercise, presume a perfectly spherical King Crimson.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
--which is why Yukako x Koichi is the best Jojo pairing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yo, can we take a minute and talk about how Cinderella was a straight con-artist who played on women's insecurities and then used her stand to punish them when they failed to play to her fantasies?

Because that was a thing.

(Not that Yukako was innocent, but there's a difference between a teen doing something foolish and a grown adult getting paid.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RareAcumen posted:

If I had to hazard a guess, I think she'd just do her job normally and the time limit was to make sure she had repeat business. I doubt the effects would've been as severe as Yukako's but that's what happens when you throw a business owner around her own shop like a lasso.

A con-artist doing her job normally is still a bad thing, IMHO.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RareAcumen posted:

How is it a con? She told her up-front how it works and what to do to keep it working. Where's the trick?

1) She can use her powers to change someone's face, but it doesn't do anything for their luck that can't be better attributed to simply being more confident.
2) She's explicitly selling her abilities to change peoples luck.
3) Her powers have no duration or drawback other than those she purposely imposes.
4) She intentionally withholds not only her ability to restore her clients to their natural state, but the fact that she even choose to do so.

That's not reductive, that's what happens in the story.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yinlock posted:

presume a frictionless sphere

way ahead of you

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Joshw

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WrightOfWay posted:

Also, what native English speaking accent pronounces enlighten and invigorate with a different sounding first syllable?

As someone who's mostly lived in the northern midwest US, most everyone I've spoken two would pronounce those first syllables distinctly.

About the closest might be around eastern Indiana and northern Kentucky, where you might find people who'd say "envigorate." Even then, it's actually a different "en" sound than they'd use for enlighten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
And now that part 8 is here, we finally have a Josh for this era.