Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

They took out the A/D/M points display, so... no more monarch points, then. Or it's just bugged.

Johan says in the replies "It's supposed to be there" so the latter I imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I assumed the two personal unions thing was almost solely for Austria to make up for their inability to colonise while cementing their place as a major power of the era. With you on the 5 CoTs though, that makes no sense whatsoever if it doesn't include CNs. Only place that's realistically possible without a CN is, what, southern India? :shrug: Guess it's far from finalised, though

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Speaking of wasteland/uncolonised territory terrain, they really really really need to give us the option to turn it off because it's horrible and terrible and I hate it :( Like yeah I love to go from knowing immediately whether Mauritius is colonised or not to now having no loving clue because the terrain colour is really close to Castile's, great, thanks

Or how about not being able to gauge immediately the borders between what's colonisable and what's wasteland in central Africa because everything's covered in trees that generally cover up the borders, wonderful

I am an unreasonably annoyed by it for something so innocuous but gdi it's just hiding information from me that I used to be able to see intuitively and immediately :sigh:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

You can turn it off

Oh drat, thanks! I had only searched for it alongside the colour in wastelands option but it's in the video section instead, which seems weird but hey :)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

It's a mission, you have to have more infantry and cavalry than France and it will be available, may need to cancel and reroll missions a few times

Though I would recommend beating up France once or twice before enforcing the PU in order to weaken them, they're quite a pain in the rear end and you don't want a rebellious France as lesser partner.

You can also go to war with them as part of the Surrender of Maine event, which auto-declares on France with a force union CB if you decline, but it generally happens so early that you generally won't have the favors to call any of them in :(

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

That WC vid was talking about developing in your subjects' provinces... do you need Rights of Man for that or something? Or else how do you do it? The buttons are greyed out for me, just says "You cannot Improve <whichever> in a province that you do not own" :shrug:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Koramei posted:

I forget the specifics, but I know for sure that the normal estate-negating-autonomy thing doesn't work on gold, and I'm pretty certain it doesn't give you a bonus to production even aside from that. It probably won't hurt you but there's not really any benefit to it either.

Yeah Burghers provide production efficiency, which has no impact on gold, although if they're loyal they do provide a 10% goods produced bonus. I would've thought they didn't negatively impact gold production, but they actually do. Some numbers, from day 1 as Hungary (all provinces right culture, right religion, with burghers loyal):
With 0% autonomy, their gold province gives 2.66 gold in production. Assigning to burghers takes it to... 2.20. I assigned a grain province, also with 0% autonomy, to the burghers, and production went from 0.18 to 0.20, as you'd expect. Next up, I gave the burghers the gold province but gave it 100% autonomy... got absolutely nothing from it at all. Even after a monthly tick.

So it looks like autonomy affects gold production directly -- it doesn't change goods produced, so it has to affect it somehow, obviously. But since the burghers only ignore production efficiency, which doesn't impact gold, the autonomy floor takes away a quarter of your gold production, instead of being waived like it is for every other trade good. The 10% goods produced bonus will never outweigh that. That feels like a bug/oversight, tbh, but for now you definitely shouldn't give them any gold provinces. Not even at high autonomy.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2017

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Er, surely the burghers won't do any harm at high autonomy?

No, but they'll offer literally no bonuses (except trade power I guess but :geno:), unlike the other two estates. You could just give it to one of them and then revoke it once autonomy's hit the floor and gain, you know, full taxes/manpower that entire time.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

the only reason i ever give things to the burghers is for trade power (or, rarely, when fiddling around with loyalty...), so that seems just as applicable for high-autonomy gold provinces as for others.

...uh, yeah? I was adding to a conversation about, specifically, auto-giving gold provinces to the burghers. But that wouldn't be the case if that bug was squashed, and is in fact uneqiuvocally worse than any other trade good province or estate choice because of it right now.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Node posted:

Another quality of life feature that I've forgotten: how can you check if you can core a province or not? Ie, if its within range.

Colonial range mapmode. Coring range is equal to colonisation range.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Node posted:

What do you mean by this? Institutions are still a new thing to me.

Every time you develop a province, you get some progress towards that province adopting an institution. So every 50 years when the new institution unlocks, you dump a bunch of your monarch points to get one province to adopt it so it can spread through your country. That way 1) you don't have to wait for Europeans to show up, and 2) you can dump your monarch points into something that benefits you instead of burning them because of the institution penalty. (Generally going up to about 39 dev is enough to make them adopt, in my experience.)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

The reason nations probably don't want your condottieri is because you don't have land access to their capital. If you get enough military access treaties going until you can then they'll show you what they're actually willing to pay.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its sound great, too bad it's not working for me,

Nobody wants my condottieri no matter what, even neighbor countries, not even for free. It seems to be working for other people so it must be something wrong with me

If you're getting the popup saying countries are interested, then go to offer it to them and mouse over the no. If it says "Has no land access to capital" then:

Allyn posted:

The reason nations probably don't want your condottieri is because you don't have land access to their capital. If you get enough military access treaties going until you can then they'll show you what they're actually willing to pay.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Quorum posted:

Can you then convert to Protestant once the Reformation hits?

Yes, you just can't get a centre of reformation if your capital's outside Europe, iirc

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Can someone explain to me when it is correct to add things to trade companies versus keeping them as states? My last game as Castille I added everything I could to trade companies but I'm guessing there is a better rule of thumb.

Honestly assigning everything you can to its trade company is fine. Forgoing the extra merchant is a huge sacrifice versus merely getting full tax & production, especially considering how poor much of that land is, and the fact you can reach the state limit in the far richer lands of Europe.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

It looks like the rebels are nationalist. So the safest bet would be to wait for them to spawn and accept their demands.

Except since they're French nationalists they'll demand the release of every single French core he holds, i.e. two thirds of his country

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Chump Farts posted:

Neat, hopefully I can get on with reforms and life from then on it. If the Catholics fully win do I get the enforce religion button finally?

Yeah, once there's an official religion that becomes available

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

His country imploded because he was redicuously stubborn (though technically his side won the war and probably would not have done if he had peaced out at a sane time)

Yeah but he extended the war so long that he lost between a third and a half of his dev to rebels, probably more than he would've lost in a peace deal, and Bengal lost a good third of its land too. The pyrrhic victory to end all pyrrhic victories

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Also devastation allows you really ruin a region, 30 Years War style.

Oh man I forgot about that, here's the bit in the vod about 2/3 the way through the war where they show the devastation mapmode and :lol:

(I think Johan said yellow means it's not increasing and red means it is, with the specific darkness level indicating the current level, but even if I've got it the wrong way round... yikes)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont understand why I am losing 2 Legitimacy a month while in a regency. Just seems odd and particularly harsh to me.

Tbh it's never really bothered me because a regency council's legitimacy is separate from the legitimacy of the heir they represent -- i.e. it'll reset to the actual number once they actually turn 16

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

That used to be the case until the last patch, but I'm fairly sure it is not now.

Just checked with the console and it still seems to be the case for me. Killed heir, added new heir, killed ruler, had legitimacy of 54. Set legitimacy to 0, made heir succeed to the throne, legitimacy bumped back up to 54

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there an easy way to console yourself a core on a province? The Caspian Sea is buggy as gently caress and I can't core a province directly next to my vassal's core for some mysterious reason.

Wait isn't there some dumb loving rule where you're not allowed to core through vassal provinces if they're on a different continent or something? That makes sense until they're actually touching the same sea zone as your cores.

add_core [province id]
(don't include the square brackets)

And you can use debug_mode to get the province ids on mouseover

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

The ending of this week's multiplayer dev session :stonklol:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Yeah warscore, AE and coring cost are all capped at 30 dev, so that anything over that costs the equivalent of 30 dev

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

What is Absolutism? I must have missed that dev diary.

Here's the dev diary

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Did they change the shadow kingdom lately? Because it was always better to let Italy leave the HRE: cheaper to take those incredibly highly developed lands for yourself while also giving you a heap of provinces to re-add to the HRE for IA boosting. Is that not the case anymore? I haven't played since the expansion though so :shrug:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 5, 2017

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Koramei posted:

There's another exploit video from Reman on 1.21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsGtX_AvJZk

turns out they still hadn't fixed the game end bug in this patch, although I imagine that'll change now the video is out. Some other really good ones too- the one where he just erases Ming is :eyepop:

drat that erasing Ming one is incredible. You don't even have to decolonise land, you can straight transfer it, although it doesn't keep changes to cores (I tried giving Ming to Ryukyu and started with 1100% OE :lol:). Still makes Byzantium a hell of a lot easier though.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

New dev diary. Short one because it's a national holiday, but the gist is: new tradition choices for custom nations to keep it up to date with some things added in the last few patches, and :siren: new cheevos :siren: :

code:
Dovmont's Own: Starting as Pskov, have 100 standing Streltsy units

Redecorating: Starting as an Orthodox Nation, Consecrate Metropolitan in Roma

Breaking the Yoke - As Ryazan, own Saratov, Crimea and Kazan while being independent

Back in Control: Form Yuan and be the only nation holding land in China.

Mass Production: Starting as Odoyev, own one of every manufactury

Relentless Push East: Starting as a Russian nation, By 1600 own the East Siberian Coastline.

Laughingstock: Own the provinces of Haha, Hehe and Lolland.				

Lessons of Hemmingstedt: As Dithmarschen, hold the provinces of Sjaelland and Holland while Denmark does not exist.

It's All Greek To Me: Form Greece and own and have cores on Zeta, Thatta, Lamba, and Roh.

The 52 Garhs: As Garwhal own and maintain 52 forts without going into debt

Allyn fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 7, 2017

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

oddium posted:

i'm doing Dithmarschen right now and i would have that chievie.........

Save it before 1821 and let it run for a day after the patch hits, I imagine that'll give it to you. Sure the save will break a little but not in any way that gives Denmark land I don't think

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

So, I'm in the last century of my Ryazan run. I think I'll go until the end of the game. I've gotten the Breaking the Yoke achievement but Kinslayer...Tragically, Bohemia become part of my dynasty. I'm going to try and eradicate (or union them, if I'm that lucky) them before the game ends, but they are huge. Either way, I figure that by being the last russian state standing, I followed the spirit of the achievement, so whatever, I still did what I set out to do: make Ryazan beat the snot out of Muscovy with my dumb Tverian personal union tactic.

You could also try turning them revolutionary I guess, just get them to 20 WE and taking out loans and then white peace

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Maps are still supposed to spread across tech groups, right? As Ottomans I still can't see a lot of the New World and the Pacific Ocean, even though it's 1775 and England colonized that poo poo ages ago.

Maps do still spread like that afaik, but Ottos are in the Anatolian tech group, not western or eastern, so English knowledge won't spread to you. Hoovering up the Anatolian minors means you can't get any spread at all

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Has anyone thought of achievements that will be easier to accomplish before this upcoming DLC? I was going to wait to play another game till it comes out, but I've got some free time and the itch to play.

The one to own 200 grain provinces as a horde. Next patch half the steppes are getting changed to livestock.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I don't know a loving thing what's going on in MEIOU and Taxes but by god the map is what is keeping me "playing" this monster

apparently there are pops? Why the hell does it take 500 years to integrate a vassal

I saw someone describe V2 as "a great game, but not a good game". That just about sums up MEIOU too. Pops system is the best thing about it, tbh. Anyway, increasing your centralisation is by far and away the best way of increasing vassal annexation speed. There's a policy to increase it every month

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Also, the Byzantine Empire was only added with the In Nomine expansion.

:pwn: I only played DW, what was the setup for Greece/Anatolia before that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

From the Cradle to the Trade

There's probably a better version of this out there somewhere but I can't find it :shrug:

• Locked thread