Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

Sorta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

This'll probably be efb, but whatever!

Benson Cunningham posted:

1. Are there any sidequest lines it would behoove me to get started on now that I will regret not doing later? I started as a Conjurer, if it matters. I just completed the emissary quest and visited the other 2 capitals.

Off the top of my head, enabling your Challenge Log will be nice. Think of them as weekly quests for everything you do, rewards XP and gil. There are others, but that's the big one early on.

quote:

2. Is it necessary to grind out at least one gathering skill and one making skill? If so, are any more in demand than others, or more valuable?

Not necessary. If you delve into crafting, you'll find that they rely on each other - ALC makes things needed for ALC which makes things needed for CUL and so on. You'll generally get better mileage out of leves for crafting/gathering (since combat classes get FATEs, duties, quests, and so on). Once you get close to the 100 leve cap, it would be better in the long run to burn some leves for crafting and gathering. Getting all the crafting skills to 15 is good since they open up useful cross class skills. There are others at higher levels (CUL at 30, CRP at 50, WVR at 50, etc.) but those are the basics.

The demand for crafting is in a little bit of flux right now with the expansion, so pick whatever appeals to you.

I think the most universally useful assets for crafting are -

1) Repair anywhere using cheap Dark Matter
2) Converting old normal/HQ/aetherial gear to materia

That said, there's a lot to it especially at the high end.

quote:

3. When is a good time to start leveling your secondary job class? I was aiming for White Mage ultimately.

Once you get CNJ to 30, level up ACN to 15. That'll let you do the job quest for WHM.

More long term, level THM to 26 for Swiftcast, and ACN to 45 for Eye for an Eye / Sacred Soil.

quote:

4. I've been dumping all my stat points in mind. Should I just keep doing that? Are they ever refundable?

That's what you should be doing. Around level 20, you'll pick a Grand Company to join. One of the first things you can buy from them is a Keeper's Hymn which resets your bonus points. It's cheap, uses GC seals which you get from the GC Hunting log, from FATEs, from some Challenges, some leves, etc.

Your first GC purchase, though, should be for your mount, most likely followed by a weapon upgrade.

quote:

5. Anything I should really be aware of as a noob that I'm probably not? I've read most of the beginner guides but they can only cover so much.

Agreed that coming over to Excalibur would be the best thing. We have 3 FCs, and there are usually folks around to ask for help. Of course, bear in mind that people can be busy with their own stuff, especially with HW out this week.

Last thing is me being a shill, but yes!

If you haven't already grabbed one from someone else, go ahead and enter in this Recruit-a-Friend code - 5NGQPAV9. If you enter the code then upgrade the game and pay for a month of game time, you'll get a headgear that all classes can wear that boosts XP gain by 25% up to level 25. There are other perks as well, and I totally get something out of it if you pay for game time, but yeah.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

That's goddamn amazing. They're nailing it with this expansion.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

On the community, I think it helps that FFXIV is a celebration as opposed to other MMOs that are more about author wankery or bullshit grinds.

Countblanc posted:

Are there any commonly used strats for the last boss of Library? I've only done it once and it was with a mumble premade so it was easy to bark orders over voice, and if there's something duty finder groups have been doing I'd rather just learn that for the future.

*Edit - I'm an rear end in a top hat, sorry, just started bloviating strat on a fight you've clearly done. I haven't DFed it enough to see a common strat from other players, but I've gone with a simple macro which pubs have picked up on easily enough. Pair up for II, mark one person for III and everyone follows them.

isk fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 28, 2015

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The class threads on FFGoons are decent for cross-class skills as well. And of course you can always ask in FC chat, if you're in a goon guild/LS.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It starts okay, it's got a nice hook, but it gets weird and at least one of the characters isn't all that interesting.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Intoluene posted:

Bismarck ends up being chaos right near the end, holy crap. That's still a fun as gently caress fight. Reminds me of Jhen Mohran from monster hunter without the showdown at the end.

It can be a remarkably smooth fight, but it has a few potential trips -

-Tanks grab adds ASAP, pointing the serpents away from the raid
-DDs are competent
-No one gets knocked off
-Dragonkillers are used promptly after becoming available

It's sadly too uncommon for all of these to happen in the same raid.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Yep! The steps are purely for Bismarck Hard with pubs or new folks, in which it's usually best to keep it simple.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Are Neverreap and Fractal Continuum doable in the minimum ilvl gear to finish the story (142 IIRC) as a tank?

Also I asked earlier but never saw an answer, are tanks at 60 (especially DRKs) still wearing STR rightsides/putting their bonus stats in STR, or should I shift to VIT stuff?

Apparently I'm an iconoclast with VIT accessories. Haven't had a problem with enmity, only lost it a few times due to DDs jumping the gun a little too early / my own inattentiveness to an individual mob. If you don't already have a Law/Bismarck/Ravana weapon, that's your first priority.

If you haven't already done them, I'd recommend watching a quick video on the FC/NR bosses. They're not ridiculously hard, but knowing what to generally expect will help offset the gear.

Robo Reagan posted:

So how's DRK compared to WAR and PLD? Not really sure which class I want to get to 60 first.

A little squishy, but excellent MTs. Enmity for days. Good combos.

WAR is the big ridiculous train at 60. Fell Cleave is becoming a meme.

PLD is quite good with improved combo options and some nice utility, but a little underpowered at the moment in comparison to the other tanks. From what I've seen/gathered, it'll significantly manifest itself only in things like Ravana Ex. I've had zero problems leveling and doing my thing at 60, and I actually really enjoy it.

isk fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 30, 2015

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Desmond posted:

So I got the game, and the instructions said to register a new account, which I did. Nowhere in the instructions did it say anything about an Enix ID. I downloaded the new client and followed the instructions also for that. Again, no mention of the Enix ID. The game is asking for an Enix ID. I already wrote to tech support. Nowhere in their FAQ does it say what an Enix ID is or where to get it. Further, their instructions say to unlock the activation area, which is nowhere to be found. I definitely uninstalled the old game before installing the new client. Can anyone else help me out here? I guess it might take who knows how long to get support to answer my ticket.

It'd help to know where and how exactly you registered a new account.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Desmond posted:

I bought the game today. I bought it for Windows. I bought the game from the link in the OP (which leads to Square Enix's online shop). I registered an account there. Later, tried to register at Mogstation from someone else in the thread saying to register there. When you register it's supposed to send an email. I never got it (checked spam, etc., not there). I hope that helps.

Exactly what we needed. If you still haven't gotten the email from the Mogstation by tomorrow morning, you can give them a call. Just have all your deets on hand, especially the CD key for your game account.

Alternatively, if you have a different email address, you can try registering a second account with that. This is of course if you don't already have an account from 1.0/2.0 like noted above.

Desmond posted:

a one-time password, what is a one-time password?

It's for an authenticator. Extra security, highly recommended, comes in phone app and physical token flavors.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Desmond posted:

Thanks (that is literally what the field says, "what is a one-time password?"). I was just trying to tell what was on my screen.

poo poo, sorry. Hope it gets sorted!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Am I the only one who would pay like a buck for a leve ticket from the SE store?

oh god please no

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also PLD is more fun that I had expected but stop giving me stuff I never use like Tempered Will, game. Can't wait to get Circle of Scorn.

Tempered Will is amazing at times.

--More DPS on final Neverreap boss
--Showing off when the ST dragons descend
--Removing Heavy from random world trash you're trying to run by

You won't use it every day, but you'll be happy it's there when you need it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

"easily"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Several of the WoW progression guilds I've been in were fanatical about DPS/healing meters, to the point where timing and situational awareness were seen at best as excuses. Other guilds were smart about it. I don't think it's a universal issue, but I think it's lovely enough to not want to see it again.

I play a tank, I usually do roulettes solo, and I'll take the occasional wipe due to low DPS over occasional douchey behavior. It's possible that FFXIV's generally kinder community would generally see meters for what they are, a tool for potential improvement. That said, if I'm at a point where DPS matters that much, I'm probably running with folks who are at least amenable to hearing data from a member of the raid, if they're not running ACT themselves. The Fight Club approach works well enough when it matters, and things like CT have been set up to emphasize raid mechanics over optimal rotation efficiency.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

KaneTW posted:

I've had that opinion for ages (never was in a guild where DPS meters were that important but that's a garbage guild to begin with) but when I zone into Aery and do quite literally half the party's damage as the tank because the two DPS can't break 250 is just too much.

It's not even occasional. I had a Summoner today (in Fractal) whose abilties used were
Ruin 3 without Dreadwyrm
Painflare
Dreadwyrm Stance and immediately Deathflare
Ruin 1 once out of MP to use Ruin 3.

Yep, it's bad, and it seems to be getting worse the further we're out from EA. I won't go into specifics, but I've seen similar levels of awful as recent as last night. And probably will, if I keep solo queueing in DR. I just don't think DR is usually a productive place to have a conversation about DPS meters.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I played for a bit a few months ago and then took a break and just started again a couple days ago. I'm nearly finished with 2.0 and had a few questions about tomestones. Are soldiery tomestones worthless now? I exchanged them for poetics since it didn't look like there was anything else to do. Are poetics still useful? I looked on the market and there seems to be a bunch of ilvl 120+ gear on there, so can I just buy those instead of collecting poetics for the weathered stuff? And as I understand it, the main quests after 2.0 only give exp if you have HW, but is that also true for side quests and other stuff?

Yeah, everything you could buy with Soldiery is purchasable with different currency. Poetics are most useful for a 130 weapon, since that'll last until 54-56. You'll need an Encrypted Tomestone and Carbontwine to get a 130 weapon. The armor will still last for a while, but it's a fair bit of farming to get it all, and without Carbontwine/Carboncoats it's roughly as good as WoD gear and would be replaced more quickly when leveling.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

Is there any way to get Carbontwine and Encrypted Tomestones other than Coil or the weekly CT quest?

Nothing super efficient, though it may work depending on what you've got saved up. I think Tomestones are solely from Coil and weekly CT quest. Carbontwine can be purchased with 6 Unstained Mark Logs, which cost 500 Hunt Seals each (and rarely drop from A/S ranks).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

aegof posted:

I only wish your powers got up and running faster after changing classes--I could run around Botanying or whatever and jump into interesting fights quickly.

Just switch in a Sanctuary.

quote:

I also wish I could find clothes that looked decent. Things aren't bad enough to be funny most of the time.

The Foestriker's/Acolyte's sets can be acquired as early as level 15, from Sastasha/Tam-Tara/Copperbell.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Daveski posted:

Can I still use the Recruit-A-Friend codes when I start with the free trial?

Yes, you can use a RAF code up until you pay for a month of game time.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It's why I usually play tank. I like DDing as well, but it sucks when the tank uses Flash/Overpower/Unleash only once per pull, or a WAR doesn't know TP recovery in HW is A Thing, or moves their character in ways that lead me to question their sobriety.

The only times I've come close to bottoming out MP in HW is if I'm pulling Clemency rabbits out of a hat. If all I'm doing is using Flash, MP recovery is so easy with Sheltron and GB.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You can also pick up the VIT accessories in EXDR along the way. They're nearly as good and it's an easy thing to make a different gearset for an undergeared/crybaby/incompetent healer.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

kafziel posted:

Yeah that's definitely Proto-Ultima.

This is streamer agony in a screenshot.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

From FC chat, new pubbie horror story -

WoD. WAR with 6.2k health. Jewelry was a mix of MND and INT.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just hit 60 on BLM. Anyone got any tips for newbie's first rotation? I assume it's something like Fire 3 > Enochian > spam Fire 4 until OOM > Blizzard 3 > maybe a Blizzard 4, but probably a Thunder? > repeat?

Lots of good info here

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Eerkik posted:

How feasible would it be to level mining and blacksmithing up as I level up my first class? I have a decent amount of money and weapons and armors are coming in from quests and poo poo but on the next class I don't imagine I'll have either of those coming in (not enough quests I think? Hence the 50% armory bonus or whatever) so I figure it'd be nice to always have up to date weapons since I seem to be only getting them every 5 levels when I do a class quest anyway, plus updated weapons on other classes when I don't have access to quests would be nice. Would this be incredibly masochistic and I should just wait? The whole gear conundrum seems kinda more important for tanks anyway for threat and mitigation purposes. At least with armor classes of the same type like tanks or mdps can use the same armor.

Do people usually just buy their leveling poo poo on the market board? I haven't checked it out yet but if its anything like other games I've played decent gear while leveling from the AH was stupid expensive

These would be fine, especially if you have a friend or access to a goon FC to craft stuff with your mats. Bear in mind that once you get to level ~20, your GC is a good source of weapons. There are a few holes (between 30-39, between 44-50), but those can be filled with dungeon drops or a little crafting. Also, the real gain with crafted weapons is through HQ, so if you can't reliably HQ them it'd be best to ask a higher level crafter to make them for you.

I don't advocate purchasing too much off the market board since money is tight early on (though not as tight as it was at 2.0). It's not a bad idea to look for occasional bargains. As above, a friend/FC mate who can craft for you is ideal. Many are willing to help if you bring the mats.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

khy posted:

I've been browsing the FF14 site and it's somewhat unclear as to the distinction between a class and a job. Can anyone clarify for me please?

You start with a class. Jobs require level 30 in one class and 15 in another. In general, jobs are more specialized and more potent than classes. They also use the same level as the parent class. GLD at 30 and CNJ at 15 open the PLD job, which is a more effective tank than GLD.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Having levelled the three tanks to 50 <snip> Paladin should get an overhaul to make skills interact more.

To be fair, this changes on the way to and at 60. That said, I was initially pleased with PLD at 60, but Ravana Ex helped shed light on the class's issues.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Antillie posted:

This is actually very disappointing to hear. But think its worth a free trial at least.

Ultimately it's your call, but I've found it's pretty fun. It lets you focus more on dodging hazards, which is vital to the game. Even when encountering an enemy type for the first time, you'll get the rhythm of generally knowing when an avoidable attack is likely to drop.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

A few mins into EXDR. Kate is the tank (VIT PLD, by chance).

We never got a replacement tank.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Valid, but I wanted retainer gear more.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Granbar posted:

Thanks for sorting me out! Now I'm ready for anything!!!

"...yarrrrp."

isk
Oct 3, 2007

remeez posted:

I started a trial, I'm a level 11 Conjurer and it's fun but I have to sleep now. Hope you enjoyed my story.

Welcome! Do these two things, if you haven't already -

1) Read the first few posts in the thread - essential game mechanics, how to join a goon FC (guild), etc. Most of us play on Excalibur, and it's absolutely worth re-rolling a character there if you're on a different server.

2) Before you pay for game time, hook up yourself and a veteran with a Recruit-A-Friend code from this thread.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Worked my way up to lvl 30 & Warrior. I got the impression this will be great when I'm tanking but running around day to day having all the oddball skills from the random classes I picked up seem more useful for idle questing. This right or am I missing something?

10% damage/healing boost for the job stone. It'll pay off more when you start seeing job-specific equipment.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

jellycat posted:

Is there a way to quickly target something to interact with and hit "Yes" on the dialogue box that comes up if you're playing on mouse and keyboard? Everyone I play with blazes through that stuff except me because I'm trying to click on it underneath a bunch of names and then waiting for the box to appear so I can move my mouse over to wherever the "Yes" button is.

Num 0

isk
Oct 3, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

What's the best way to crank out the last few levels from 46 to 49? Forgive me, I know someone asked not long ago, but I can't seem to find it.

Northern Thanalan FATEs. Aurum Vale from 47 with a good group.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Oh my, the music during the Containment Bay. And the dolls.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Smart Car posted:

Heavy also isn't broken by damage which was the original context here. Heavy effects are also very useful for A3S so those are still relevant, but Sleep in particular and Bind to a lesser extent haven't been effective for a while now. So there isn't really much of a niche in being that one tank who doesn't break CC with their AoE Enmity.

Yeah, it was a nice perk when we were grinding AK for Darklight, but I stopped expecting it by 2.1.

On patch notes -

Quite happy with the PLD changes. More work to be done, sure, but these are already significant changes and it's generally best to change as little as possible when balance is the goal. Moving forward, Shield Oath should be awarded at level 30 (to match Grit/Defiance, and to make leveling a little easier). Beyond that, maybe more TP adjustments or a hookup to Flash (Blind increases AoE damage?), but it's encouraging stuff.

isk fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think PLD TP is fine now, the only things that costs more than 60 TP are I think Shield Lob and Shield Bash. Otherwise your rotation will be a net gain in TP unless you have some really fast attack speed going.

I'll have to see how the VIT changes in damage shakes up, but their DPS looks a lot more solid now at least. Goring Blade having an effective potency of 640 (compared to its old potency of 540) in particular is pretty massive.

Yep! Reasonably confident in the changes, and an occasional dependence on Paean/Rook is acceptable in theory. Excited to see how it plays.

Republicans posted:

As a new player are tradeskills worth dealing with? I assume the gathering skills are gonna be my primary source of money.

I'd say so, at least to 50. Being able to craft your own glamour prisms and alt equipment is nice, along with the ability to repair gear anywhere/anytime. Plus, desynths/dematerialize.

Outside of raiding and pet/glamour gear trading, you don't need much gil. Some pets/gear is crafted only, but most of it is from dungeons & raids.

*Edit - Echoing above sentiments that professions are a time/money sink, especially past 50. To 50 isn't so bad, especially if you have friends/goons to help out. All the professions depend on each other for materials and cross class abilities. Once you start leveling one, you see how connected they are.

isk fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 20, 2016

• Locked thread