Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Augus posted:

I mean tradeleves seem to be good for cash, at least early on.

They seem like it, but market values can result in a net loss vs trading with players. The Challenge Log is equally as effective (if not moreso, because it's free and poo poo you do anyway) at generating gil for new players.

*edit - bonus pretty skybox.

isk fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Republicans posted:

One more newbie question: Do I need more than one character slot if I'm fine with just doing everything on one guy? Is that a bad idea and I'm gonna want to have multiple characters if I wanna level more than a couple different classes/jobs?

Nope! I've had 1 character forever. This game heavily encourages doing that as far as equipment. currency, skills, and general progression are concerned.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Scrublord Prime posted:

There's some niche purposes of alts like gearing up for multiple classes for raids still on a weekly lockout or getting around the number of crafter classes you can specialize in. Don't worry about alts unless you find a reason to.

Cannot overemphasize the niche part of this statement. So much content is available outside of this.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Polegrinder posted:

So I'm learning more about the game as I play and I've found out that you can use other job's abilities on your current job. Since you have to level up two classes to 30/15 anyways, does it make sense to level ALL the classes to 30, either just the base job and/or the one you unlock at 30? It almost seems like they are encouraging you to play all the jobs to maximize your tanking/healing/dps. How many of you just have 2-3 jobs that you focus on and just leave the rest unlearned?

The latter.

Once you get to 30 and move on from a class to a job, your cross class selection is more limited. Some jobs get a lot of value from their available cross class abilities (DRK/WAR with Provoke, MNK/BRD with Invigorate, CNJ/AST with Swiftcast, etc.), while others (PLD) get a lot less.

If there's a question about a specific class/job's cross class, you can ask here or Google fu it. Generally, though, the most efficient thing is to focus on leveling one class/job to 60. Unlock content, pick up alt gear along the way, and open up the armory bonus for your alts. But it's not required, and some good cross class abilities are unlocked quickly.

isk fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 20, 2016

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Outside of Death Blossom, the major impact to a NIN's TP is Huton at level 45. If you're not there yet, don't worry about it. If you are, you should keep Huton up in combat all the time.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm a level 42 white Mage about to fight Titan in the main story quest, I don't have heavensward yet and really conflicted on my priorities. I started the game playing with friends and there a bit ahead of m. iM trying to decide if I should focus on the main story quests or leveling up other classes .

Leveling alts is quite fast with the armory bonus. If you're concerned about viability in content, you can level WHM all the way to 50 or 60 with zero cross class skills (though at 60 it's best to pick up Swiftcast, Surecast, and Eye for an Eye).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Weissritter posted:

Despite the PLD buffs, I suspect I will have a hard time in dungeons due to my ilevel being 170. Stopped playing as a PLD shortly after Alexander, and was trying to level up as DRG. Quickest way to catch up is running DF roulettes and weekly Alexander?

Depending on luck with S Ranks, Hunts will get you up to scratch pretty quickly in 3.2.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

More PLD stuff, been faffing around most of the day -

+ Enmity generation at 60 is off the chain.
+ This makes it even easier to keep up GB (especially on multiple targets). If it wasn't for the STR debuff, there'd be almost no reason to use RoH once you unlock RA.
+ The Enmity buff specific to Savage Blade is a nice bump for new GLDs.
+ Pretty hard to run out of TP now (not impossible).
+ Used Clemency a lot more than in the past. The reduced cast time is what I've most wanted since 2.0.
+ Divine Veil isn't ridiculously good now, but at least it's less awkward.

- Parses have already been posted, but yeah, the damage nerf to STR is significant enough to notice.
- The drop in Clemency numbers w/o STR gear is noticeable as well, and in the same -20% ballpark.

On another note, adding to the ring you get from the Novice stuff - it's a nearly full set of gear equivalent to the Plundered sets, and you get beaten over the head with recommendations to go thru it on the way to unlocking Sastasha. You even get taken to a Smith NPC.

Jury's still out on Mentor, but the Novice stuff is quite good and should help new players a lot.

isk fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 24, 2016

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Guess it's all on fire and I should probably give up trying to log in until they fix it?

Probably. Queue on Excalibur has been steadily rising, and is around 1300 now.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Mentor is a hot mess right now on pretty much every server. Since the game auto dumps mentors into the Novice channel until it reaches the 100 mentor capacity and there's no way to leave without logging out or being kicked the thing is full of people who are either too busy to do mentoring or just flat out not present (I got in the channel once as a mentor and a good quarter of the people on the mentor side were listed AFK on Excal).

Yep! Got in on an alt to test it a bit. Most were friendly and willing to answer basic/intermediate questions, but the accuracy of information began to break down when advanced topics were broached. That's whatever, likely corrected by the community over time.

The system isn't a bad concept, but in hindsight, deployment would've been better timed in between major patches (though that's a different challenge in of itself).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Vil posted:

While I'm a little salty about my precious baby fell cleaves doing lower numbers now, and actually having to pay some attention to threat and spend a little time than I'd like in defiance at 60...

... my main concern would be how that translates to pre-tank stance content. It was clear from the patch notes that the devs' intended adjustment to the lower tank damage was to buff threat in tank stance to compensate. Okay, cool, fine, but how are things before you get the tank stance in the first place?

Even pre-patch, good DRGs and BRDs could ride even an experienced tank pretty hard on single-target threat in, say, Tam-tara normal on the bosses. I'd hate to think what sort of frustration a newbie tank might have to put up with now.

Ah well. When I get around to running roulettes again, I expect I'll find out for myself.

I've done it the past couple days, and it's a close thing when the DDs are competent and engaged. The buff to Savage Blade enmity and the Novice gear aren't quite enough.

ApplesandOranges posted:

One thing I never actually bothered to find out: do buffs improve the damage of LBs? Should I be aiming to stack all my buffs before a Bladedance/Final Heaven?

Think it's based on the group's gear.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Augus posted:

It was just an observation! And an accusation of plagiarism at someone more popular than us! And a hashtag! Posted on our official social media account for the world to see! Not trying to get attention at all! We're not gonna sue them over this. Not that it wouldn't hold up in court or anything like that, you know.

Wow. Passive-aggressive "it's just a thought/just my opinion" bullshit. What a wanker.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

jwang posted:

Apparently I'm a bad tank.

Later I got kicked because the healer was being passive aggressive. Oh well, not like my queues are slow or anything.

United morons are the worst. WE ARE SMART

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The tank set is mostly reskinned DRG Darklight. Couple other armor sets use the same model. The GLD trainer wears a similar suit.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

That.... does not sound fun :(

It's really frustrating they put this obstacle in continuing the story.

As an alternative, you can find a buddy'/group and do hunts. You can get 170 gear quickly and 200/210 gear more gradually.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Truth posted:

Leveling up a lancer right now, and will be transferring it soon to Excalibur. I was wondering if I should try out any caster classes as well since dragoons are so overplayed? Everything I read said caster leveling is harder, but I am just not sure. Black Mage, summoner, and white mage looked kind of dope.

Play what you like! Don't be afraid to try out something different. I've gone back and forth between a few myself. It's much easier now to try out alts, especially with the increased armory bonus in HW and the ring earned from the Novice challenges.

BLM, DRG, and SMN are all straightforward until 50. BLM has the highest complexity of those, while SMN and DRG are more clockwork/forgiving.

Even if DRGs are overplayed (which I don't believe they are), it's because they're a quite good class. And it still takes some skill to play well. A good DRG is welcome in most situations - good single target damage, adequate AoE (if lacking in sustainability), excellent burst. Really the differences between the classes will matter only in niche situations, like endgame raiding. There's a whole lot to do outside of that.

One thing to keep in mind - if you level ACN (which leads to SMN), you also get a healer in SCH.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Bear in mind that when most people say "alts", they mean switching jobs/classes on the same character. I have an alt character for extra banking, but most people will never need one.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Once you hit level 10 and get permission from your first class trainer, you can do the intro quests for other classes to unlock. Switching is as easy as changing weapons, though (as above) people usually use pre-saved gearsets.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

"Tell someone else it's broken" is the second most effective tech troubleshooting tip, behind only "turn it off and on again."

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Dely Apple posted:

I've been sort of off and on trying to get on since last night, I even woke up at Amish barn-raising hours. I don't think Excalibur will ever let me on. It must be free moogle week.

Ed: Is there a place to find a reasonably priced NA ARR code that isn't a sketchy polish man on G2A? :v:

Major storefronts (Square Enix, Amazon, etc.) have the base ARR package for $20. It's a good value even at the base price.

As for character creation, bear in mind that a major patch dropped last week, and it's got content for everyone.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

In case you missed it -

isk
Oct 3, 2007

synthetik posted:

What is good dps at max level? I'm used to WoW levels of exponential gain, but I feel like I'm doing at least 500dps at 44 as a BLM.

Depends on the encounter and gear level. ~1000 is solid for just hitting 60. 1700-1860 is what the top endgame folks are dropping on Hummelfaust at the moment.

500 at 44 would be hilariously broken or invalid, since level 50s were hitting 400+ in T13.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

As flames, "I expected nothing less, lieutenant" I may have imagined the emphasis on lieutenant

You did (3.2 MSQ spoilers)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Presuming you can still combo, Geirs can be safely used when you've got ~25s left on the buff, or the 60s cooldown on BotD has elapsed. Ideally you want to use it in AoE packs, or on bosses when you've got your other buffs up (Internal Release, Blood for Blood, Battle Litany).

You can get thru any non-Savage/Extreme content without using Geirs too much. It's more important to consistently hit your combos and cram all your jumps into buff windows. But correct usage of Geirs is one of those small percentage point differences that matters at endgame.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

This is the best thing.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Yeah, stuff dies so fast in CT now. Almost had Phlegethon down before his first raidwide AoE (the one that does almost no damage). Punched Acheron so hard that some forgot Ancient Flare/pads are a thing.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Solumin posted:

As someone who's playing his first tank, what can I do to make it easier for DPS & Healers? Or should I just worry about enmity and cooldowns, and your stances and stuff will sort themselves out anyway? I already know the "run through the mobs so they'll turn and face you, giving the positional DPS classes a slightly easier time" trick.
(Obviously this doesn't apply to playing with statics/doing raids/high-level content where people generally know what they're doing.)

-Always ensure there's room to attack the back & flanks
-Ask/communicate before big pulls
-Generally lead with DPS cooldowns on bosses so the DDs can use theirs right away
-Keep an eye out on party TP and mana, especially before bosses or big pulls

Beyond that, positionally set up your healers/casters for success. Don't tank mobs with AoEs/breaths/cleaves near them. Things like that.

quote:

Also, when is your position checked for the damage you do with positional attacks? Is it right when you activate the skill? Or when the animation happens? It's really hard to tell, especially when I'm soloing and trying to kill things efficiently.
The positioning check happens when the ability is activated.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

PLD is your standard MMO tank - proactive cooldowns, simple rotations until HW content, a little group-centric utility. They were weaker for a while in HW but have narrowed the gap following 3.2. Leveling one from 30-40 is painful.

WAR is more versatile - some reactive cooldowns, more AoE damage, more combo options before HW. Leveling one is pretty easy at all ranges.

DRK is the most complicated - the squishiest of the 3 along with more resource management. Leveling one gets a little more difficult in HW, but not overly.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

-Troika- posted:

How customizeable are outfits in this game? Do you need to spend like a million dollars on DLC to look pretty?

Adding Prism's feedback - it's quite easy in the long run, and no.

Gear is pretty same-y for the first 50 levels, though there are some nice dungeon sets along the way. If you get RAFed, you can get the first dungeon set for free which looks pretty good. Lots and lots of dungeon and raid sets are available at 50, most of which look great.

The leveling gear from 50-60 is generally better looking than 1-50. There's a lot of nice looking level 60 dungeon/raid gear as well, much like at 50. Some of it is pulled from other SE games (the first dungeon sets at level 60 are straight out of Tactics Ogre).

You can buy stuff with real money. Most is from past holiday events. Some of the crafted gear looks great as well, but it's not required and is generally quite expensive to most players. There are also some PvP armors which look rad.

I'll dig up some screenshots.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Some outfits - most is level 50-60 gear I got through dungeons and raids with random folks. The cowboy/ranch looking one is mid-50s crafted. You can get most of it through solo quests.

There are so many goddamn outfits in this game. Some reuse base assets but change colors or small bits. Either way, lots to choose from.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Also bear in mind that, unless you need the currency at 60, Trials Roulette is generally quite fast and gives a nice chunk of XP.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Main problem with Flash is that it does zero damage. Ideally you want to use Flash just enough so that your enmity combo can be used freely since it actually does damage.

Once you get Rage of Halone and Shield Oath, you'll likely have an insurmountable enmity lead that you can't do too much with until you get Goring Blade/Royal Authority. Sword Oath on bosses helps a bit.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

In the next expansion, the first new quest for each healer class should be a reminder that not DPSing during downtime/MP allowing is bad.

*edit - and the capstone quest, because many will forget.

Bonfire Lit posted:

That's actually a theme in the CNJ quests but most people don't notice.

Yep! You nailed my point.

isk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 17, 2016

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ruta posted:

Can someone tell me how to AoE as a dragoon? I kind of levelled up my dragoon doing quests because I wanted to see all the quests in the game. I do a pretty good job against bosses, like in trials or raids, and I think I've got the single target DPS rotation down pretty well. I usually avoid dungeons because tanks pick up huge packs and I just don't feel dragoons have any fun AoE. However, my scholar friend resubbed recently, and as my only 60s are healers and dragoon, I went as dragoon. And he did more damage on the large AoE packs than me and I feel really dumb and useless. I think it's time I learn how to do this right? I mean, I've tried using Doom Spike and/or Ring of Thorns but that doesn't work well. I also try doing my single target rotation to keep up Blood of the Dragon and use Geirskogul liberally, but that also sucked. I don't know what to do. I feel royally dumb. The black mage in our group kicked my rear end and I kept stealing agro from the tank during bosses and getting hit by the tank busters and it was such a lovely run I don't even want to ever play dragoon again!

Mymla posted:

Dragoon, and melee DPS in general, have poo poo AOE compared to casters in this game. All you can really do is heavy thrust->ring of thorns->spam doom spike->invigorate->spam doom spike->do single target rotation when you get to something like 300-500 TP left.

Mymla's advice is solid. SMNs/BLMs/SCHs have much better sustainability in AoE packs, but you can still contribute. A bit more advice - Ring of Thorns combos off of Heavy Thrust. It's slightly less damage, but you save some TP. Also, pop Internal Release/Blood for Blood after Heavy Thrust, and throw in a Dragonfire Dive when everything's grouped. If there's a BRD or MCH in the group, they can help with TP recovery.

If you're regularly taking aggro off the tank during bosses (even after properly using Elusive Jump), they're doing it wrong. They have plenty of time to land their first enmity combo before you start spamming your buffed jumps (these should come in after Disembowel).

I switched to DRG main in HW, and it's generally been fun. Sometimes you get lovely tanks, but in my experience it's the exception.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ruta posted:

Yeah, I did use my Ring of Thorns off of Heavy Thrust, though it was sometimes hard to get the positional to get it to trigger because the tank was kind of fidgety. I should work on that. But overall, I guess I just can't expect to do much damage in AoE packs and let it be. I'm just so used to doing really really well in trials and raids and pvp and stuff, so I was in shock at my dismal AoE pack numbers. Thanks for all the advice, though!

I don't really know who to blame for the last boss's agro shenanigans. The tank kept getting hit by the confuse and it was horrible. If tanks get hit by stuff like this, should DPS just layoff? The black mage wasn't so I didn't either, but anyway, the tank got hit by the first confuse, and I got hit by the first tank buster that comes right after. I don't remember exactly where I was in my opener, but it was pretty early on. I didn't take hate again, as my entire rotation got screwed by the early death, but the black mage ate two more tank busters before eating the dust. I rarely do dungeons to begin with, but this kind of made me not want to do it as a DPS for a long while.

Ultimately it's your call, do what you find fun, but if it helps, that sounds like a rare Antitower run. Anecdotal evidence and all, but I've capped Lore every week mostly through EXDR, and I don't remember wiping on an Antitower boss.

Anyhow, if the tank gets Confused or isn't broken out of Dollhouse in time, someone's probably getting clipped by that tankbuster, whether or not you stop DPSing. Elusive Jump would be good, then Keen Flurry (if it can even be Parry'd) if the tank isn't out in time. I don't see the need for that too often.

In current EXDR (and most HW) dungeons, a strong DD and an adequate tank are better than the other way, since most of the mechanics are randomly/group targetted and a strong DD will kill things faster.

isk fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 17, 2016

isk
Oct 3, 2007

In case you missed it (solo queue Antitower) -

bleuraindrops posted:

Decided to man mode Sephiroth at PAX East because it's easy peasy. We drew a large, noisy crowd ("Why don't I see 8 fractures up!?"), which apparently attracted Yoship and Koji(!!!). I didn't notice them until the end of the fight because they were on the other side of the screens from me, but apparently they snapped pics of our party list and Yoship was adorably flabbergasted that we were all WARs and said "Warriors very strong."

This is genuinely great.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ancient Cave, yep. Reasonably confident/excited.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Everything about this is amazing.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

This morning's A8 included a healer so honest, he tried to turret heal through every Super Jump, Mega Beam, and Apocalyptic Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

DRGs tend to fall behind in AoE (especially in sustained encounters), but pick it back up on single target (especially in burst, presuming they can get in a Disembowel).

• Locked thread