Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

That's not even aliens though. This is lovely sci fi horror drama movie they had to attach the Alien name too.

There are far worse movies. Round of applause for the people who watched the entire dancing scene from Spiderman 3.

So is this pretty much the wrong-est post ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

SimonCat posted:

I always felt they held their breath for an unrealistic period of time while swimming away from the Aliens.

I can never get over it when people doing breast-stroke kick pathetically with their non-dominant leg.

Be The Frog.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

They should make cinema eaters sit on one side, and non-eaters (but drinking's okay!) on the other, and have an aisle go right down the middle. Where I live, they have designated seats, so it's the next logical step.

The sound of some rear end in a top hat mashing food into his mouth directly behind me, punctuated by an "oh poo poo" when he inevitably butter-fingers his half-eaten chillidog or whatever onto the floor, will never not take me out of a movie.

Edit: Ooh I like the sound of a strict no-talking policy. No, Mr. Hilarious, you shouting at the screen is not funny at all, and nobody cares how you feel about this movie.

I feel old and grumpy.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 19, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fwiw I live in SEAsia where it is more common for people to eat noisily, and cinemas are generally more cramped row to row.

With that said, things like pop corn, nachos, hot dogs that come with crinkly foil wrappers, crisps, and snacks of that nature are usually audible to me if they are seated right behind or next to me in any quiet scene. Hands digging through buckets / wrappers etc. Always distracts me.

Cant imagine oyster slurpers.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Midget Fist posted:

Australian audiences are like adults who watch quietly and enjoy the movie without bothering everyone around them. American audiences are like a big group of children, all noisy and braying but enjoying themselves immensely. Not sure which is better though I prefer the first, but both seem to have a good time.

I watched Prometheus at the iMax at the Melbourne Museum and the only time anyone even made a peep was during the medpod scene. It was a fantastic experience. Everyone was so locked-in, and since it was a late-night showing, there weren't many snackers.

Death to cinema snackers!!!1111

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 19, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

When my wife was younger she and some friends snuck in a big bottle of southern comfort into a packed theater. She accidentally kicked the bottle over, which was about 2/3 full, and it noisily clanked and rolled down the entire theater under the seats, spilling a trail of soco behind it. Not only was the racket distracting but the whole theater smelled like soco.

This, but beer at an 9:30 AM showing where I went all by my lonesome to be all by my lonesome in an empty IMAX cinema, and somehow still couldn't avoid some dickhead who of course had to sit right behind me completely ruining it.

Nothing against him having a beer in the morn, Christ if I care. But don't loving kick it over so it pools around my feet and makes everything stink of stale beer you clumsy bastard!!

Moving seats felt like losing, so I stubbornly sat in that puddle of beer and *humphed*, then shot him evil looks when we were leaving and his back was to me.

Then I went home and carved some angry poetry into my wooden desk.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 21, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

i think the rowdiest cinema experience ive had was Lord of the Rings 3. everyone was drinking and whooping it up. when legolas killed the giant elephant and surfs down the trunk a bunch of people stood up and cheered while others booed into oblivion. really fun. in all sincerity i wish australian audiences got rowdier more frequently for big fun times

The rowdiest experience I ever had was watching a Hong Kong movie with Louis Koo and Nick Cheung at some cinema somewhere around Perth. I can't remember the name of the film now (think it was called White Storm) but it had just ridiculous 90s-style over the top action sequences, paired with a terrible extended bullet-time finale, and the (mostly Chinese) audience seemed to completely hate it, and jeered at it non-stop.

Personally, I enjoyed it because it's fun and stupid as hell, but bullet-time is way overplayed and gaudy in modern "HK" action/thriller cinema. HK in quotes because it's all really China-stuff now.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 21, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I think we should all have a long discussion about clapping in cinemas. Who here has ever clapped in a cinema and then not felt incredibly awkward about 5 minutes later when you realised it was only you and your mate doing so, and he was only half-clapping because he's a true friend and never leaves a bro hanging, even if he's kind of looking away trying to disassociate with you by way of body language?

Is there a cinema haven where clapping does not render you an awkward weirdo in movies that are not Star Wars or a movie like Deadpool where fans overcompensate?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

That reattaching head scene has to be a reference to Star Trek? Shine LED on wires, magically reconnect them, thanks Chief O'Brien!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Someone didn't like a thing he created, and therefore it must be bad and nobody else can like it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I went into the film blind.

*list of expectations*

*struggling to reconcile film with expectations*

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I really wanted to like this film, but I just couldn't let myself because it wasn't how I would have made it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Elderbean posted:

My expectations were pretty low. I expected an alien film, and the character that was all over the promotional material to have a bigger role.

When you talk about expectations being "low", what you really mean is, "I only need the film to satisfy few requirements (x,y)" as opposed to "high" expectations which would be, "I need the film to satisfy many requirements (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,x,y,z)", before I can like the film.

It's a checklist of what you "need" from the movie before it gets your stamp of approval. Prometheus... dumb scientists x infinity.

X: Daniels would have a bigger role.
Daniels was the second lead behind David/Walter. I mean, I honestly think Daniels had about as much screen time as she needed. How would more screen time help?

Y: It would be an "Alien film"
It is a film called Alien: Covenant, features not 1 but 2 Aliens very similar to the "classical" Alien, and also features 2 more Aliens, the Neomorphs. It also features an egg and a facehugger that are very similar to the "classical" egg and facehugger.

What do you mean by "Alien film", anyway? Alien, Aliens, AlienCubed, Alien Resurrection, Alien vs Predator, Alien versus (|?) Predator Requiem, Prometheus... which of these is an "Alien film" and which is not.

E; grammar

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 12, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I honestly don't understand the "Engineers are albino white guys what a loving crock" thing.

Honestly, how much more interesting, or how much better is the film made, if we turn the engineer from Prometheus into a bipedal humanoid with a flaccid nose willy?

They've got two arms, two eyes, presumably two legs. They've got a rib cage. They've got a torso. They've got a pelvis.

Just mentally superimpose an elephant trunk onto the engineer in Prometheus and give him an extra three feet in height. How is the movie any better for it?

How is this any more "mysterious" or "better", inherently, assuming the story stays the same? The only thing that would have changed is nerds like us speculating as to how a species like that could have evolved *what fun*.

It's like asking why Shaw's hair was red because there were no gingers in the first film.

In fact, the idea that you have two different castes of engineers, one the mighty high tech-suit-wearing biomechnical shitlords who go around playing God and getting eaten by their creations, and the lowly monk peasants that are so tied up in their religion that the entire town literally stops everything to come out to the town square to watch a spaceship loving complete docking procedures, is endlessly more interesting than "this species has elephant trunks (biological/racial attribute)".

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 13, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Woah I've seen Covenant twice but I do not remember the Alien looking that CGI-ey in that scene. That looks almost like a video game render or something.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

What ever happened to Peter "It's me and him!" Keyes' head anyway?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dourif really makes the Newborn birth scene with all of his yelling and wide-eyed growly words.

The Newborn crushing his skull like a kinder egg is not something easily forgotten.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Astrochicken posted:

Can't wait for Alien 4 dir. Joss Whedon Ron Howard

Nah, this is laying the groundwork for Neil Blokamp's resurrection of Newt and Hicks.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Leave it up to nerds to pick apart a throwaway line that some robot chick says while trying to get laid with one of the sexiest men to have ever lived.

And THAT'S why Prometheus was a bad movie!!1

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fart City posted:

Until this exact moment I legit thought that the character's name was Bowski and that Hick was frantically yelling "Where's Bowski?!" amidst the chaos.

Haha yeah I thought that for ages until on one of my zillionth rewatches as a kid, I saw the name on one of the monitor's Gorman's looking at. At least, I think that is what it was that clued me in.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, why didn't the lady who just watch her friend get backbursted alive, give birth a slimy, goddamn alien that's fast and twitchy as hell and looks disgusting and terrifying, just punt it like a football.

drat it, Ridley!! :argh:

Them blowing up the ship and slipping in blood is actually really good and funny.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I wish she did and then her foot would burn off.

Stupid loving Idiot: Why did she step on it! Didn’t she see the other movies!??

Other idiots: :shuckyes:

Personally, I think it'd be way cooler if she spiked it like a volleyball serve.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

She should have thrown it like a shotput.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tomtrek posted:

Trailer:

Blu-Ray:

I know why you're here, Yutani. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're looking for it. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. And when it found me, it asked me "What the hell are you?". It was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives them, Yutani. It's the question that brought them here. You know the question, just as I did.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Got around to reading 'The Cold Forge'.

Any other novels worth a read?

Was it good? I'm looking for something stupid to read and never dipped into Alien EU before.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Currently reading The Cold Forge which I'm enjoying -- though the present tense I find doesn't really add anything -- and am wondering what the consensus best Alien EU novels are. Stuff that's not aimed at 15 year olds, preferably.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Isolation Harder
Isolation with a Vengeance
Live Free in Isolation
A Good Day to Isolate

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Man, Cold Forge is the loving BOMB. I'm shocked at how good this is so far.

You talking about the novel? I thought it started off strong but have been losing interest about when Murphy's start to hit the fan.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does Charles Bishop Weyland get killed by a Predator or Alien in AvP? I can't remember, but I always thought it was just Bill Paxton who got killed by the great late-80s-early-90s sci-fi trifecta of a Terminator, Alien, and Predator.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly I'll be sad if some of the great effort posts about the Alien franchise get nuked (from orbit).

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

jtr posted:

So my partner recently said she never saw PREDATOR, so we rectified that. Then she saw PREDATOR 2. This lead to her saying she wanted to watch AVP. I’d seen all these, of course. Then she learned of AVP2, which I never saw myself, and we watched it tonight (the extended edition on HBO) and I’ve always heard this, but jesus gently caress was the picture dark.

AVPR is more interesting than AVP but AVP is more watchable than AVPR.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 8, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Especially if they look like a dick

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

The best part about Predator 2 is how impossibly sweaty Harrigan is the entire time.

Hudson also has mega pit stains. Love the sweat and I love the texture to the film. From this kind of ubiquitous wetness to coarseness (the jackets) and then the dead cows when Busey's torso vanishes into the next dimension seem bone dry. Even the predator vision during that scene with all the imperfections as it cycles through feels very textured. The smokiness of everything, it's almost like an egg drop soup the way smoke hangs and swirls in the air like you could grab ahold of it. The way the predator's blood kind of blobs out in these gross gelatin globules. The ceramic medkit with the blue glowstick liquid is very crunchy. Then the predator's ship just has this completely different feel, smooth and metallic but not at all cold, you almost expect it to be warm to the touch.

Such a nice movie to watch.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

teagone posted:

You should probably give Predator 2 a rewatch if you haven't done so in a while. I remember not liking it much when I first saw it however many years ago because of how different it was from the first film, but each subsequent rewatch made me enjoy it more and more. It's so much fun, and is a great compliment to Predator 1987.

I can't remember where I read it on this forum, but a goon mentioned that Predator 2's aesthetic really grabs you from the screen; it's so grimy and smoky and sweaty that it really is almost tangible. 100% agree with that sentiment. The concrete jungle setting is super atmospheric. Great performances from Glover, Paxton, and Busey too.

[edit] Grammar

I think this was probably me, but I definitely misremembred some details like the spaceship, which I realized after a recent rewatch after Prey:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hudson also has mega pit stains. Love the sweat and I love the texture to the film. From this kind of ubiquitous wetness to coarseness (the jackets) and then the dead cows when Busey's torso vanishes into the next dimension seem bone dry. Even the predator vision during that scene with all the imperfections as it cycles through feels very textured. The smokiness of everything, it's almost like an egg drop soup the way smoke hangs and swirls in the air like you could grab ahold of it. The way the predator's blood kind of blobs out in these gross gelatin globules. The ceramic medkit with the blue glowstick liquid is very crunchy. Then the predator's ship just has this completely different feel, smooth and metallic but not at all cold, you almost expect it to be warm to the touch.

Such a nice movie to watch.

I'm not sure how much of it is just because as a kid I watched Predator and Predator 2 about 3.8 million times each, but I really do love the way Predator 2 looks, moreso than Predator. I hope you all don't mind, I've screened some of my favorite bits just in terms of how I personally find the texture of these shots very striking, gross in a good way, all a great mixture of coarseness and wetness and the differences between materials.

1. The Opening Sequence - lots of debris, clothing, metal, and of course fire, and then you've got the liquid blood + sweat stains.

2. Jacket and clothing textures are so pronounced.

3. So many sweaty faces obscured by shadows in this film.

4. Door and pillars seem like a call forward to the predator ship. I love the 4th image here.

5. Noisy predator vision, the fake-looking meat, crunchy predator med kit, gelatinous predator blood, + BONUS sweaty Hudson's pit stains through his dang jacket in a really smoky police station.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 7, 2022

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

^^one of the coolest things as a kid to me was the gun attachments in predator 2. The only cooler pistol was robocops.

CelticPredator posted:

This is so quick and dirty but

Lol that's cool, reminds me of an Xcom 2 poster.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I rewatch Ressurection every couple of years for the basketball sequence alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Seems like it at least doesn't completely ignore the Ridleyquels?

"That’s not correct, but it does take place between the two movies [Alien and Aliens]. The way we crafted it is if you haven’t seen any of them, I’m jealous because you’ll have an incredible experience. You’ll have all these worlds of Alien coming at you, and you’ve never experienced any of this. You don’t know how the creature is born, and you don’t know any of these things. That’s fantastic. You’ll have a blast.

[...]

So it is crafted in that way, and hopefully it works that way for everybody, but it is connected to all of them. I love all of those movies. I didn’t want to omit or ignore any of them when it comes to connections at a story level, character level, technology level and creature level. There’s always connections from Alien to Alien: Covenant. "

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/alien-romulus-trailer-ridley-scott-1235856321/