Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mokinokaro posted:

As I said earlier, I'd find it hilarious if we play as Venom for part of the game but at some point switch over to the real Big Boss so the previews wouldn't be technically lying.

I heard an interesting idea that you only got to be real big boss on Extreme due to the added boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The connection makes mg1 make a lot more sense.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mokinokaro posted:

There doesn't seem to be anything from the extra ending in that text dump though. Maybe it's something that's getting patched in? Or, as there's definitely not all the menu text, is hidden in another file?

I'm not questioning the legitimacy, but that text dump isn't "full"

I don't think the "third ending" is actually a thing. It's just people really wanting to be Big Boss.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alain Post posted:

Mother Base in general is the place that was most obviously cut for time. I still like it but it's barely more functional than panning around the platforms in Peace Walker.

I think they wanted players to be able to customize the layout of the platforms at some point, too.

I was hoping for more missions on MB. That probably would've been the best way to use the labyrinthine spaces, but there's one mission on MB.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The first half is so good, 10/10 game of the year. The second half is an 8.5. really good, but with flaws. This is the IGN rating system.

The thing about the game is that if they had been content to tell a self-contained story with a little Big Boss development, they would've had a masterpiece. The story of Skullface vs Venom/Boss would've been fine- another Peace Walker-style interlude. Chapter 1 is still brilliant, but I think instead of having Chapter 2, they really should have given a little more padding to the Skullface story. I felt like by mission 30 I had a few more to go, but no, not really. The denouement of Chapter 1 felt rushed. A few more of those PF missions would've helped a lot.

Unfortunately, Kojima decided to settle all the questions and make the definitive bridge to MG1, which is where most of the game's missteps happen. Chapter 2 has so little actually happening that you just feel like you got hit by a folding chair. Also, I feel like the modifiers should've been a thing you could choose in any mission- subsistence mode is fun as hell but they only use it in two missions, instead you get extreme which makes skulls super tedious and perfect stealth which is also tedious.

The irony of the game is that the typical PF-style missions felt way more open and interesting than the more plotty missions. Kojima went out of his way to accomodate almost anything you want to do with some clever bits, like how if you blow up the comms equipment when you get Kaz, you don't have to do it again, or how you can blow up the guy's escape chopper in mission 19(iirc) and he'll just sit there waiting for it. I also like how the guards get better and less stupid as the game goes on. Early on, for example, guards do not really react to seeing their friends asleep- once you get to Chapter 2 they start calling in alerts when they see it. They also learn to shoot down Fulton balloons if they can, though you get an upgrade that kinda dumbs down fultons by letting you use them anywhere.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm kind of fine with Kojima contradicting a theme from a previous game, because it wasn't something present throughout the entire series. They're both just some philosophical themes he put in to have some meta discussion, and they're both about as relevant as the other I suppose. Raiden is not Solid Snake and he is also not the player, Venom is basically BB and is a representation of the player. They're both things to discuss about the medium of videogames and I don't blame Kojima for pursuing another side of discussion rather than reiterating a theme he's already presented.

I think the Venom Snake twist is actually one of the better ones because it makes Outer Heaven make way more sense given Big Boss being a mostly swell guy from 3 onward.

I would give this game a 10/10 for having by far the best gameplay in the series and chapter 1's story is pretty good. I feel like every attempt to bridge to MG1-MGS is where the game goes wrong, though, with Mantis, etc.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

In It For The Tank posted:

So I finished the story last night and I have been mulling over it for all of today. I still need to get all my thoughts in order but it really ended up being disappointing. You can't fault the gameplay, although permanently losing Quiet and the limited number of Subsistence missions are both really fuckimg lame. The story is basically a mess, though.

I can dig the twist, kinda. I dislike it because it's aping MGS2's infinitely more interesting discussion of the player/character relationship but it could still have worked if they did more with it. As it is, the game dumps it on you really clumsily ("SURPRISE, now play through the railroaded prologue again so you can get frustrated and also see the entirety of the real Big Boss' role in the story) and it.... doesn't matter. It doesn't add anything to the game except to cheapen the entire experience.

This game was touted as the fall of Big Boss as he becomes the tyrannical nuclear warlord from MG1 and MG2 but it's not. Because the focus is on Venom, Big Boss' transformation either happened off screen or has yet to happen. The game ends basically in the same place as Peace Walker, with Big Boss creating Outer Heaven (but for totally real this time, guys) again. With this in mind, I'll echo others and ask if this story even needed to be told.

Not even Venom is monstrous. He doesn't even do anything evil in this game (relatively speaking, he kills and abducts people and is a warmongerer by virtue of his profession). The only monsters in this story are Skull Face and loving Huey of all people. Even Miller seems more overtly malevolent than Venom.

I've seen people pointing out that Big Boss manipulating Venom like he did is proof of his villainy but I'm not sure if the game supports that interpretation since Venom is cool with being turned into Big Boss (side note: I made my avatar a white guy but loving lol if you made your guy one of the big burly black dudes with tattoos on their faces and got to see the characters perform the reverseof the race-reassignment surgery from Tropic Thunder) and they don't really explore the interesting conflict that would arise from having your identity taken from you beyond the implications of the mirror smash. The weird thing is that Venom is basically the same as Skull Face in that his life and face were stripped away so you'd think the conclusion almost writes itself. Surely, the thematic endpoint of the game about revenge is Venom trying to take revenge on Big Boss, becoming the Skull Face to Big Boss' Zero. That would've been a cool loving ending.

But any ending would be better because we didn't even get one. Quiet's story ends and the second credits play and then the Truth happens and that's it. That should've marked the beginning of Chapter 3, which should've dealt with Eli and also shown more of the real Big Boss. You could've had a nice interplay between Eli and Venom, as they were both molded into Big Boss against their will. gently caress it, have them team up to kill Big Boss and you get to play as Big Boss to take them down.

In short, I don't think the story lived up to the hype of being the last Metal Gear game, nor do I think it adequetely closed the loop. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that the conflict between Big Boss and Zero/the Patriots, which is central to the modern story, is completely absent and they're completely right. We got some really weak explanations toward explaining things like Miller being in Foxhound and hating Big Boss but it seemed like the story almost conciously avoided addressing what seem to be some of the big questions in the series in favour of an independent story about midichlorians parasites, which, while not as obnoxious as nanomachines in MGS4, still got pretty bad. On the plus side, I look forward to "PARASITES, SON" in Metal Gear Rising 2.

The trailers (all of which are amazing) are basically better than the actual story in the game.

Well, I kinda think the advantage of the twist is that it kinda lets the change in character between MGS3+ Big Boss and MG1+2 Big Boss work. You can see a disillusioned Big Boss- but it's really hard to say at the end of MGS3 Big Boss is going to be making his country and using nukes.

I also would rather have just seen the self-contained Skullface/parasites plot rather than any Eli poo poo, with the bad stuff being more undertones than outright stated. Reveal the truth right after killing Skullface and have the end be Venom smashing the tape. I think it would have made mission 22 a lot more foreboding, too.

And drat I wish Mother Base would've been used more for infiltrations. That space is a very welcome difference from the other bits of the game and it would've improved the variety. It would almost have made a world in and of itself- Mother base is huge.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gortarius posted:

I think they could've easily made each map have the option of playing them with different rules, like 100% stealth and procure on site. Mostly because of how samey all the missions really are if you think about it. Every mission is either you kill/extract something OR you extract something.

Man, the more I think about this game the more disappointing it feels.

I really hope Konami goes bankrubt and someone else buys all their IPs. Silent Hills could've been so good and this game could've been absolutely fantastic too.

I like the kinda plotless kill/extract these random dude missions more than I like the big story missions because they tend to accomodate your style more whereas if you try to do something like shoot down skullface's chopper in mission 30 Mantis just deflects it because the Plot Must Go On.

In fact Mantis' role in the story seems to be to just Make the Plot Go. It's impossible to discern a character out of him more than Kojima's hand pushing things along.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

More cut content.

More than anything in the game, I want to actually hear an interview from Kojima himself once his contract with Konami is up on just what the hell happened during development. I can make an educated guess given Konami's focus away from video games but still. It really sounds like both parties were at fault, Kojima's ego and publicity stunts eating up the budget while Konami ruled over what would be in the game and cut the budget with an iron fist but we'll probably never know for sure.

Honestly I think having both the plot bridging and the self-contained story was way too much poo poo. The game did need to be cut down, but not piecemeal. It should just have been Chapter 1. It would not have tied in a whole lot, but I don't think TPP needed to tie into the rest of the series, just hint at things.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Discendo Vox posted:

Given the nature of the similarly interminable design and overambition of MGSIV, I'm much more inclined to lay this at the feet of Kojima than Konami. Huge multisystem structures that can't be completed and are reworked into a final project that barely hangs together. The dude is the Lucas of yideogames.

Yeah, I think someone a bit more hard-nosed about things would have realized Chapter 2 was something that would have to either be its own game or DLC or something and just focused on making the Skullface thing the best it could be while having a lot of new game+ stuff. I think like in MGS4, Kojima got hung up on making THE LAST MGS.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gortarius posted:

Yeah, I like them too, up to a point, but then after a while you start to wonder when are they going to introduce something new to spice it up. I guess they would've introduced something new eventually if they didn't run out of money/time/whatever. Like guards patrolling with dogs which isn't a big stretch considering that you can already get attacked by wild animals. Or flamethrower guys like in MGS3, and again the mechanic seems to be there if you look at Volgin. Taking out a guard and then posing as him to get access to an area. Just stuff they've already done in previous games.

Mantis is such a deus ex machina though, not to mention how lame he and his backstory on the cassette is.

The game does get way harder- cameras with guns show up, guards start shooting fultons(though you get the fulton portal that just trivializes things), guards call the alarm when they see sleeping brethren later on and carry better weapons and more rockets.

I thought for a bit that the part where you drive with Skullface was gonna be the traditional MGS 'get captured and escape' but that usually comes about halfway-2/3 through the plot, but nope, Skullface just takes a big ol dump on you right before he dies. The end of Chapter 1 felt rushed because Kojima wanted to get to the Real Story.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

lovely Wizard posted:

They've already managed to sell 3 million units in less than a full week at full price. Even with whatever reduction in profit they get from the retailer's cut, they're sure to be profiting already.

It's not like they can simply go "pachinko machines and ios/android games make the most money because of the low cost of development vs the high rate of return, lets put it all in that", because it'd be like when THQ put all their production on 360/PS3 versions of that lovely drawing pad that was a success on Wii and they'd lose a bunch of money because just dumping all your development budget on one thing doesn't always jive. Has a single Metal Gear Solid game (or even some of the spinoffs) managed to not turn a profit?

I think the problem is letting Kojima do Everything he wanted or thought he had to do with MGS5 would have resulted in a Duke Nukem Forever/The Bureau-style development hell.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gortarius posted:

So I didn't really understand a word that Skull Face was saying during the jeep scene, which I guess tried to emulate the MGS3 ladder scene with the long transition and theme song. But from what I gather he wanted to kill all English speakers with a magic spell he found in Africa, and then sell nukes with off-switches that he had control over, and this would then somehow unite the world because everyone would have a nuclear deterrent.

Skull Face also hated Zero for some reason even though he worked for him as the cleanup crew and their relationship didn't seem to go any deeper than that, so all the team switching Skull Face had to do was in no part Zeros fault. So I guess he just wanted the XOF unit for himself.

Skull Face also wears that really goofy looking mask for whatever reason.

How far off am I?

Not really far off. Skullface wants to eradicate English to break Cipher's hold on the world, and then use a mass nuclear deterrent to make sure it never comes back.

Honestly my problem with Skullface is less his plan(all the villain plans in Metal Gear games are hokey), but the way it's presented- a long rear end jeep ride then he dies a few minutes later. As I said before, I thought this was just the start of the third act.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackguy32 posted:

I find it kind of funny that this is the thread where people are a lot more critical of the game. I am at the point where the game is pretty fun but at the same time, I am starting to notice a bunch of little flaws that annoy the poo poo out of me.

You in Chapter 2 yet?

The game's big problems don't really crop up until you've completed the actually finished story.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ThomasPaine posted:

e: I just watched the Episode 51 video. That seems really loving cool and exactly how I would have liked to see the game wrap up Mantis/Liquid. Why in the everlasting gently caress did it get cut. That's actually so annoying.

There was easily enough content to make a solid Chapter 2, and it looks like a lot of the work necessary to do so had already been done when it was cut out. WHY KOJIMA WHY? (I actually think this may have something to do with Konami tbh).

I thought Episode 51 was kinda hokey and dumb because Eli's role in the story was hokey and dumb. Chapter 1 was a plot with a defined beginning, middle, and end. It should have been the whole game. Chapter 2 is just fanservice that's almost all dumb(though Big Boss shooting the infected guys was a cool scene- that should've been the resolution for the disease in ch1.

Yes, it would not have linked up to MG1 so much and it would not have been the definitive bridge story, but this really wasn't, either. I don't think a bridge was needed. The clone twist worked fine for me, but I feel like most everything that happened in Ch2 didn't work and it wouldn't have been fixed in a year because the entire concept was flawed. Every time Kojima tries to make the 'definitive' game it sucks(MGS4, now MGS5), at least plot-wise.

The worst aspects of how unfinished the game is is Chapter 2's gameplay. I wanted to see more interesting missions using the harder enemies but instead you got wonderful "total stealth" missions and extreme boss battles which just ended up taking forever. Subsistence was awesome but they used it for two missions, and a bit of the bite of subsistence is gone when enemies start carrying rocket launchers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The reason nobody talks in this goddamn game is that most of their conflicts with each other are so stupid if they talked it out for 20 minutes you could easily come up with a solution. You have to keep characters from talking to each other too much because their secrets are so obvious you'd have to be stupid to miss them. It's clear that Venom doesn't remember anything prior to Snake forming MSF (this is why he doesn't say 'kept you waiting, huh' to miller.) so he can't actually talk to any of his bros because it would become pretty evident that he's not Big Boss.

The 'player character is not who you think it is' is Kojima ripping off himself, it's not particularly original and it's a pretty big letdown, honestly. That being said, I kinda like the idea of the body double, I just wish that BB had shown up as a character in the second half to do some stuff.

EDIT: We even got a short prologue that starred the character most people 'wanted' that seemingly kills him at the end. This is basically the same twist from MGS2, and I was expecting better :(

I think the story would've worked better if Venom knew he wasn't Big Boss and was doing it out of loyalty(you know, the kind of guy who jumps in front of big boss) and that the former MSF guy in mission 22 did the raid because he knew you weren't real.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Modest Mao posted:

MGSV, idk. Glad it didn't bring back all the characters like MGS4, but the ones it did include mostly don't really make sense. Another plot where someone, in some way, is a copy of another person. Miller makes way less sense.

I think the worst bits of the game were where they tried to be fanservicey. It would've been fine as a mostly self-contained story about Skullface.

People say episode 51 rocked, for example, but I dunno, it felt massively indulgent and also featured Mantis, and Mantis is probably the worst character included in the game- and I think I would rather have seen Solidus and Raiden than Eli.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 8, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Broken Cog posted:

Mantis basically gets heavily influenced by negative emotions, and especially children. He doesn't really have any agency of his own other than what whoever's influencing him at the moment is. It's noticeable in mission 20, where he's sending Volgin to attack Snake, but is stopped for a moment because the kid you're sent to save panics, and draws him away.

The reason Sahelanhropus goes berserk is because Eli is in one of the DD choppers, and Mantis abandons the influence of Skullface for Eli's.

Yeah, that's their explanation but it's hard to think of him doing anything other than being Kojima's giant hand making sure the plot happens. There are a lot of negative emotions going around TPP. Why Skullface in particular? I mean, Miller is loving pissed and unhinged.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

As an aside, I really like the open world, but in my dream version of the game, there would be side-ops that take you to a few smaller, sub-GZ-sized for a couple fan service setpiece bits. The horror elements in TPP made me wish we got to walk into Mantis' village as he was burning it all down or something.

Personally I would've liked more Mission 22s- the Mother Base environment as a sneaking environment was great and its verticality is a nice change from the other locales, but I think Kojima just thought FOBs would be enough after 22.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The whole need to actually 'advance the MGS plot' is the big problem with chapter 2.

Eli is the second worst example- he has absolutely no character development. He just hates everyone and fights them and is just angry and boring as gently caress. I don't know why errybody likes chapter 51 because Eli and Mantis are easily the worst two things about the whole story.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

That would've been merciful, though. Venom knew the future.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nakar posted:

Miller being a hardcore motherfucker was pretty much the best part of the game. Like that's the emotion of a man consumed entirely by revenge, you do not gently caress with him. And he didn't have all his limbs while doing it. The one-handed CQC disarm and stump-assisted weapon unloading was a high point of the cutscenes.

Miller was a fine example of how to depict seething anger without being dumb like Eli.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bubba Smith posted:

nah that's what I've felt too. If instead of padding out all the Chapter 2 stuff with repeat missions and stuff, if they would have buried Chapter 2's content within Chapter 1 as like a 40 mission seamless playthrough I think people wouldn't have felt so disappointed. Instead you complete Chapter 1, can't wait to start Chapter 2, and it's barely anything at all and at times leaves you clueless how to progress the story.

And that list is 100% fake, come on peeps. One of the last missions is the Metallic Archaea -> Sahelanthropus fight sequence which would mean the game would be barely any different at all. if there were like 30 new make-believe missions after that I would have been like "whoa, we really missed out on a lot"

Yeah, I think it would have been better if whatever fanservice continuity stuff got melded into the "main plot" of the game which is killing skullface, but I don't know, the content that tried to reference future stuff was almost all bad. Eli was bad(and no, mission 51 would not have helped), Mantis was bad. Huey was fine, though. The Peace Walker guys came out just fine, I think- they had believable transitions, just the ones made for the fans were awful.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't know why people want more Eli.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

lovely Wizard posted:

It was sort of silly to have him and the child soldiers fly away with a super metal gear and a language parasite with no word from them again. That's two mega plot devices being stolen by a third.

Eli has no character. All he does is want to fight and get mad, and Miller was way better at being mad than Eli.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Funky Valentine posted:

That's how he was in MGS1, I don't see the issue here.

I already got enough of that non-character in mgs1 and he's more tolerable when you get to kill him.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Drinkfist thinks MGS4 is the best MGS, just fyi.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Under the vegetable posted:

there are at least two other major female characters in the game with relevance to other games in the series and they're both well written, with emotional denouements to their stories, and not sexualized, so i don't appreciate your sexist erasure of women who don't support your goal of making an ideological point, thanks.

I know it was some wonderful ironic commentary when the camera zoomed in on the mist snipers' tits as they walked onto the scene.

I'm gonna go 'ironically' call this homeless guy a dumb friend of the family.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

In It For The Tank posted:

On the subject though, the fan backlash from Mass Effect 3's ending was strong enough to get Bioware to offer a free DLC that greatly improved the ending, not by changing it but by adding to it, so there's precedent that if the controversy surrounding MGSV grows enough we may see so. Not likely, given the particular companies involved but you never know.

Honestly the entire idea of chapter 2 is really dumb so extending it further doesn't help the game- everything good that happened in chapter 2 could easily have happened in chapter 1 where the game has an actual plot. Chapter 2 felt like Kojima just doing it for the proveribal you, so you could get your dumb fanservice. Gosh, I sure do want to know Liquid was always the same guy his entire life and that his best pal Mantis now loves him through these thin theories.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to add "Hey, we're getting really unhappy with the budget of The Phantom Pain, but go ahead and start development on the playable teaser that will reveal that you're working on another game after this one".

Remember, by the time that PT started development, the majority of The Phantom Pain's development was nearing completion, so when was this "falling out" supposed to take place? Either this whole thing is truly an emotional response, or it defies all logic.

Kojima didn't need more time.

Kojima probably should have pruned down the game to the part with a plot knowing this instead of trying to give more of the self-indulgent Chapter 2. The good bits of Chapter 2 could have been thrown into Chapter 1 anyway. In fact, I have a hunch that at some point the quarantine mission was the resolution to the Kikongo virus but Kojima decided he needed something for Chapter 2. Eli should have been cut entirely. He's a worthless character and no one would be clamoring for more of him and his dumb Chapter 51 unless he was Liquid Snake(apparently Liquid has always been the same person for his whole life down to the same dialog, yawn).

As I've said before, the more Kojima tried to make the 'definitive' MGS with all the bridging and fanservice, the worse it got. Huey and Kaz were great, though.

You know why MGS3 managed to be good all the way through? Because they kept the plot going all the way through, things happened and were weaved into it, but the Volgin stuff was there all the way through. They didn't kill Volgin 3/4 of the way through and then have you randomly wander around seeing cool scenes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Huey is probably the most well-written character in the game. His arc is just perfect and it makes you completely switch sides on him. It's also great because it manages to do it in a way that fits his character in PW really well, even though he's not even remotely as disgusting in that game. He's just such a slimy dude, and I think Christopher Randolph's voice might fit Huey's character even better than Otacon.

Yeah, I think Huey and Kaz are the best characters here. Huey cheering with glee when he takes the shotgun and kills Skullface is the best moment because it pierces the veneer of badassery that Venom and Kaz engage in at the end.

I do still think that most of the story beats in chapter 2 could have been in chapter 1 and resulted in a stronger story, though, with perhaps Huey's trial being part of the epilogue. The good MGS games kept most of their story development happening while the plot's still happening, and I think MGS4 suffered from a ton of stuff happening after the game.

That all being said, I enjoyed the game, but thought it could've been significantly better. It's probably the best MGS game to me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

If the cut stuff had been included, I think Chapter 2 would have felt better. Skull Face is basically his own arc, and Chapter 2 is mostly dealing with the fallout of his death and threat posed by Eli, since he has both the English parasite and Sahelanthropus. Had we actually gotten a full third area of the game, I imagine it would have been more than one mission long. "Mission 51" has a lot of stuff going on, and most of the establishing information is told through slideshow concept art. It probably would have been more like 4-5 missions where you show up the island, scout for intel, figure out the situation, and then finally fight the metal gear. Apparently there was originally going to be a third chapter called "Peace," so it's hard to tell what the pacing would have felt like in the end. I doubt Chapter 2 was originally meant to be like a quarter the size of Chapter 1, but we will probably never know for sure.

I think Eli's inclusion is a mistake for the most part- it's the worst way that the Boss kids would have been included because Eli has no character and is actively annoying. He just spouts non-stop Liquid-lines and gets really mad. Skullface is a more interesting adversary and that's not saying a whole lot. Because I don't care for Eli, I guess Chapter 51 didn't do much for me. Without Eli, almost everything in Chapter 2 could have been put in Chapter 1.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A much better epilogue than the entirety of chapter 2.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Snake, hit the ground! Don't let that sniper get a bead on you.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mischitary posted:

The best thing PP does for the grand MGS mythos is turn Huey into a huge fucker. I don't think there's been a more hateable guy in MGS history than Huey in PP, at least in my experience. I love how in the beginning Miller is really hard on Huey and you're all like "give him a break man he's just a bro like otacon" but then at the end of the story when all the guys are screaming to put a bullet in his head I was basically right there with them.

I like to think Venom was given a little prophecy and decided to let Huey go because he knew it would be so much worse.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

I don't know. All this stuff strikes me as Kojima's inability to see where the limits of this game are going to be and paring things down into a cohesive whole instead of trying to do everything.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CJacobs posted:

Peace Walker's story went on for much longer than MGS 5's does, and I feel like the goal was to basically make a story on as grand of a scale, but in console game form instead of portable. Unfortunately it seems to have not worked out in the slightest. I think Peace Walker's visual style and lack of 3D cutscenes definitely contributed to their ability to make the story go on for so long.

Peace Walker's post-Coldman plot was basically two scenes with a bridge of Zadornov capture missions that got really tedious. This felt more deliberate than the cut and paste nature of Chapter 2 of TPP, though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mischitary posted:

I mean, it took Kojima Productions 3 years to do one chapter and like half of a chapter for the completed game.

The one chapter was actually plenty of plot. I think had some of the chapter 2 material been thrown in, it would've been good enough. People would've been a bit disappointed, but there's no version of MGS5 that doesn't disappoint anyone.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kojima probably isn't the best at managing his time, but his attention to detail and depth of gameplay is why his games are so different and good. Being able to actually do almost any crazy thing you can imagine, and having enemy AI that reacts to all those crazy things, is one of the big things separating his games from all the other sterile AAA titles. I love that Kojima will come in and make people retexture a doorknob because it didn't look right and gave an unflattering impression of his artists' hard work. People that wish he had cut down on the gameplay elements to add more story are crazy.

I wasn't advocating cutting anything gameplay wise, but actually the part of the plot that doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackguy32 posted:

This is where I am at. poo poo like having to go back to Mother Base every once in a while just to shower just seems so unnecessary and time consuming. Mother base as a whole just feels pointless.

That being said, I am surprised how much I like Code Talker's character. I just know when I hear a cassette tape by him, that it will be a good one.

I wish there was more missions like the one with Mosquito(Mosquito's mission is actually one of the better story bits), but I think they thought the FOB gameplay would be enough. Mother base has a really interesting layout compared to the other areas and it would've been cool to do more tactical espionage there.

• Locked thread