Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

It's really weird that they aren't doing it this way in the show. Interspersing the new villains and plot while battle of the Gods stuff goes on seems like it would have been a much better way to do it since at least then people who have seen the movies have something to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

SirKibbles posted:

Ah gently caress hopefully he gets better.

Don't think there is a cure for old age. Then again maybe he can just badger one of his friends to get him the dragonballs.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Aurora posted:

He didn't really come out worse, he just thought it would work against Cell. The point at which he busts out Broly Form is the point at which Vegeta couldn't do poo poo either.

Yeah, the thing about Trunks' super buff form is that it ups his strength to a ridiculous level (pretty close to Super Saiyan 2 levels of raw strength is Cell is to be believed) but it bleeds energy like crazy and is actually an overall speed decrease from the Super Vegeta buff form that smacks cell's second form around like a rag doll.

Trunks is still significantly stronger when he comes out of the hypersonic lion tamer than he was going in. He's got the same upgraded form as Vegeta which can clown semi perfect cell and would have easily been enough for the androids, its just that he also developed a kicking rad super strength version that is also slow as balls.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^DBZ: Super Saiyan Densetsu, I think.

I could be wrong but I think there's also a gimmick where Vegeta ignores your commands during battle and basically does whatever the gently caress he wants, so setting up tricks like the Ginyu swap is contingent on Vegeta not murdering him first.

9/10 Vegeta's ignoring the player schtick simply involves him smugly turning to the side and refusing to fight. I believe the only time he does the extra attack is when an enemy is at low life and he wants to kill steal. If you don't power level him then Ginyu should be strong enough at the body swap that Vegeta can't do the KS.

Legend of the Super Saiyan (the SNES game) is full of crazy little exploits. You can beat the poo poo out of Radditz/Goku while the former is trapped in the full nelson and keep feeding Goku Zenkais. Do this enough and you can have him come back to earth well before the Saiyans with a base power level of something like 16,000. If you grind levels on Gohan and use a couple of items you can have great ape Gohan beat the ever loving poo poo out of Super Sayian vegeta in the post credits hidden boss. Good times.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Esroc posted:

Didn't that game have Super Saiyan Gohan, but no way to unlock him without a Gameshark/Action Replay?

You are correct! The game includes a Super Saiyan Gohan sprite but there is no way to unlock it during gameplay. If you hack it in with a Game Genie your entire party becomes super saiyan and the game crashes almost immediately.

My best guess is that he might have been there as an alternative/hidden gameplay mechanic if Goku/Piccolo died against freeza. I mostly think this because it is hilarious in light of the most recent DBZ abridged.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

So anyone else think that the fight between Goku and Beerus was really lame and long winded? (and yes, I mean way moreso than your typical DBZ fight)

Yup. They probably could have gotten away with trimming a full episode of it with no discernable difference to the quality, as evidenced by the movie. Hell, even Beerus agreed when he gets pissed off at Goku for ruining the solid thematic ending that he'd settled in favor of beam class #47.

Right now I'm just trying to take solace in the idea that the BoG and RoF stuff is basically B-material and the staff know it. They have to tell it because company exec's are worried that people wouldn't get it if they hadn't seen the films, so they're doing them half assed and trying to pad the run time to give themselves time to work on the stuff that will actually be good. Because so far Super is just really underwhelming in a lot of ways.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jivjov posted:

For better or for worse, Super is almost exactly like DB/Z. Episodes that are nothing but drawn out fights, the occasional weird/bad art, rehashes of things done before.

The negative backlash is from people who either a) have forgotten what it was like back then (or never watched the original) or b) are more accustomed to/prefer more limited run type stuff.

There is a slight difference in that Dragonball was animating something that was previously only available in manga form. Even though the dragonball anime absolutely had flaws in its pacing and animation budget, it still had the virtue of being an animated version which comes with its own advantages over still pictures. For a lot of people the anime is an improvement over the manga because audio/motion/color add a lot to the experience.

The problem Super has in that regards with the rehash stuff is that it doesn't have that upgrade from the manga to help float it along. I'd have watched DBZ even if I'd read the manga because it adds something. Going from the uber-high quality, relatively tight pacing theatrical releases to the anime feels like a measurable drop in quality. You've seen this before, exactly like this, except it looked better and took half as long.

That isn't to say Super is without its advantages. Their new material is pretty much all fantastic, and once they get out of the remake stuff they'll lose their single largest flaw as a result. Even in the rehash stuff you still have fun little tidbits like Goku being a dick to Beerus in replicating the neck chop and the like.

Caros
May 14, 2008

While it is probably in vain, I think the most entertaining sort of tournament they could do would be a best of five style rather than any sort of bracketed budokai style.

A best of tournament means you could have two losses on the earth side and still have them win overall, which means you could have the possibility of someone like piccolo and/or Gohan lose after a very hard fought battle and yet have Krillen still contribute if he ends up beating their fifth strongest guy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darko posted:

Someone likes Yu Yu Hakusho, I see (and yes, that was a well done tournament).

Literally never read more than the first few chapters over a decade ago.

Good to know that it is a time worn idea however. :)

Caros
May 14, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Good god, think about how stressful that WEEK was. The Androids, Imperfect/Semi-Perfect Cell, Android 13, Broly, Perfect Cell, Bojack...

Bojack was presumably a little while after. They mention Trunks has come back for a visit and Vegeta has had enough time to really start pouting.

And speaking of which, future Trunks is an rear end for not coming back to visit his past friends.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Future Trunks became a time cop and summoned you to help fight time crime.

This has been bothering me for a while, why does he get shorter? Trunks is noticeably taller when he comes out of the hypersonic lion tamer because of a year worth of ageing, but he shrinks back to (and adopts the old hairstyle of) pre-crying chamber when he shows up in heroes and xenoverse.

Probably just toriyama being himself (Vegeta's height increase and shrinking hair), but I can't be the only person who sees it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

HGH posted:

Don't listen bad opinions cause Super 13 laying the smackdown on people is still fun.

He keeps punching me in the dick. Why?! Why does he keep punching me in the dick?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

Except the tv series didn't reanimate stuff already seen in the movies and vice versa. Well okay, everything except for cooler :v:.

Lord Slug?

Caros
May 14, 2008

I never knew I wanted a full version of Cha-la Head Cha-la done on a violin until just this very moment.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Oh yeah, Super Saiyan.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you really want Kid Trunks to get the poo poo beat out of him or something

I think the reasoning is that it'd be funny to see freeza's reaction to the fact that he was apparently killed by a time traveller.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

I never exactly understood the deal with Bojack. He was trapped in King Kai's planet, right (how that was able to hold someone nearly at SSJ2 level, I'm still not sure)? So I would think that meant that he was a being that was part of that realm. But if he was, why did he immediately go to Earth after being released? And if he was actually from the living world, how did he wind up in the afterlife to be sealed in KK's planet?

Presumably the Kai's used some weird technique to rather than raw power to seal up Bojack and his men inside a star. Think something like the Mafuba which doesn't require you to be stronger than the person you're using it on.

Once the group of them were released they apparently made a rush for earth because they felt the power being released as a result of the Cell games. His stated reason in the film is that he wants to thank Goku for killing King Kai by... killing Gohan. Bojack is a total sociopath in the movie so I guess this makes sense? Not his best plan honestly.

And yeah, the last part of the tournament took place in a specially designed arena. The first phase was a battle royale, then they took the winners of that and sent them into an arena to fight 'aliens' who were supposed to be Mr. Satan's students in dumb costumes but who were instead Bojack's Galaxy Warriors. Why did they impersonate Satan's guys? How did they know how to do that? hosed if I know but it made for a cool movie.

The whole tournament was funded by a game named X.S. Cash as a cool treat for his son's birthday. I do love dragonball sometimes.

Caros fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 29, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I'm really liking the direction the RoF arc of Super is taking. Animation seems fairly consistent now.

I liked Krillin's scenes a lot too.

I actually really like what they've been doing with Krillin throughout super and I hope they extend it as an arc through the series. He got punched by Goku and went 'whelp, I'm giving up fighting' as a result. Then in this episode you have him quivering about fighting people because every single opponent since freeza has been so high above him that its comical. It actually makes a good deal of sense that he is nervous about fighting, and it was nice to seem him realize "Wait, these guys are loving chumps. lol."

The Gohan dropping thing didn't seem too bad to me since it also works as foreshadowing for later when Goku is gonna get backstabbed in a similar way.

Frankly nothing is going to beat the revival of Ginyu next episode. I have lived a blessed life to see the return of Captain Ginyu.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I wonder what's on Kanzenshuu today

:captainpop:

Pfft, Kaizenshuu is wrong based purely off what we see on screen.

Ki attacks routinely travel interplanetary distances in seconds. Piccolo blows up the moon in under two seconds in the show, two separate movies have villains being shot into the sun in time frames that are measured in seconds, and yet fighters also routinely dodge those same FTL energy attacks. Duh and/or hola.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

(it's a made-up statement based on a fake thing a guy posted copypasted from a a vibrator ad)

That was my 2 am nerd impression. :downs:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

here's my usual reminder that broly's creator is in a weird cult about sharing energy through touching and the entire climax of the first broly movie is basically thinly veiled propaganda for it

I have learned something new about dragonball for the first time in ages. Good to know.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The simplest answer I ever heard for "why don't they zenkai" is that you stop getting them once you reach Super Saiyan.

It fits with every Saiyan character we see in the series and for cell you just make the argument that he is a weird biological nightmare so who the gently caress knows what happens with him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darko posted:

The claim is that any person who has done animation on any kind of professional level can do sections better on their own in a reasonable amount of time. No one that doesn't live in a basement with no job and unlimited time on their hands has time to do that for no profit, no. That is also obvious to anyone. Which is why I leveraged it as a monetary bet.

Scared to take the bet then? :)

edit: The whole point of this is that people are defending the animation as not being that bad/being better than before. This is not true - it is absolutely terrible on any level, to the point where relative amateurs or singular animators, given enough relative time, can legitimately do better on the character animations. And especially the keyframes. Saying "I can do better" is not a bold statement; it's an obvious one from anyone who has animated to any degree, because this level of animation is so terrible on so many levels. I'm particularly mediocre, but this level of animation (24) is so far beyond mediocre that I don't even understand how it was done.

You are a real whiny bitch about animes. You know that?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rutibex posted:

The Grand Kai is wearing a pair.

Plus, you know, dragonballs.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BattleCattle posted:

Maybe the super dragonballs are fake.

So they are in the fake universe 6 and 7?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

When the prince of all Saiyans and the richest woman in the world love each other very, very much...

Making a loooooot of assumptions here.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Dias posted:

Dragon Balls can do some poo poo, man.

Well we know what they use the super dragonball wish for I suppose.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nah, he made a point of powering up before he touched the ring so that Bra couldn't realize the mistake she'd made and punch him before he could finish transforming. He's touching the ring now, so he's probably done.

I would have preferred he go Gold, but he's also GIANT now, which could be interesting on its own.

I really enjoy when they have people playing with the rules of a tournament like this because it feels very dragonball.

Also, as far as beerus chat goes, he does actually appear in one of the recent chapters in a single crowd shot where he interrogates people about if they have seen the super saiyan God. It got more of a laugh out of me than it should.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If Goku showed up in bleach there would be a whole chapter dedicated to him yelling kame, another one to hame, a third one for ha, fourth chapter to the energy blast and then we'd skip to another fight for three months.

You forgot the part where the villain turns out to be the one person against whom the Kamehameha is totally ineffective. The villain no sells it only for good to pull out the perfect counter that only works in that exact situation.

Caros
May 14, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The "horrifying monster actually a childlike innocent who just wants to make people happy and then gets killed by the good guy anyway" is an old joke that honestly upsets me every time. I don't know what it is. You can give me any other kind of black comedy there is, but that one trope is just miserable for me.

They don't kill him in this tho?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jedah posted:

Sure, and that has happened countless times throughout the series. One classic example was Mr. Satan "beating" on Perfect Cell, while he ignored it. However, the power gap between Mr. Satan and Perfect Cell was enormous. Cell had his power level in the millions, while Mr. Satan was just a regular human. To reduce SSJ3 Gotenks down to Mr. Satan's level makes no sense, and I have no idea why you are still making this dumb argument.

Cell also no sold every attack from Vegeta that wasn't the goddamn Final Flash after his transformation. Frieza moved from form 2 to form 3 and went from getting his poo poo stomped to completely ignoring Piccolo. This is a common staple of Dragonball and I really don't see why you are having such a difficult time reconciling it.

Neither Goten nor Trunks have engaged in any significant training since the Buu Saga, meaning they have probably backslid since then in terms of power. Vegeta, meanwhile, has undergone something like two or three years of hypersonic lion taming opposite of his rival while training in a completely new form of Ki that upon first showing was able to effortlessly wreck the poo poo out of SSJ3 Goku. So the real question is why on earth you think Gotenks should be a threat to anyone with god Ki. I mean you do remember Beerus literally spanking him until he separated back into Goten and Trunks, right?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jedah posted:

If you were right and that was the case, why wouldn't they both be like Gohan, who can barely muster up anything beyond his basic SSJ form? Instead, Goten and Trunks easily went SSJ3, which used to put their power level in a league of monsters like Super Buu. SSJ3 was a form that Vegeta never obtained in DBZ, because it was so difficult to achieve. It should have some kind of significance.

Because Gohan barely being able to go SSJ was something largely done for comedic to show that Gohan doesn't even lift bro.

Frankly it seems to me you're vastly overestimating the value of SSJ3. SSJ3 was a joke transformation in its own saga, it was a transformation that wasted a lot of time, a lot of power and ultimately accomplished nothing. Goku failed to beat either form of Buu when he tried throwing out SSJ3 (and yes h e claimed he could, but he also thought he could beat Kid Buu with it and he was wrong there too) and while Gotenks beat up Super Buu for a bit, he still ultimately lost for the same reason. SSJ3 is a trap form that makes you really strong for all of a couple of minutes before it peters out.

quote:

My original point was this was a lazy filler episode where they didn't bother to think about consistency within the series, which was something DBGT was guilty of. It was probably cheaper to have Vegeta stand there and face-tank attacks rather than animate him going through perfect-timed dodges and parries.

Everyone else's rebuttal is that you're wrong. Lazy filler episode sure, but it fits entirely within what we've seen of the series which is that Goku and Vegeta are now at a level completely above anything from Dragonball Z.

Lets look at the resurrected freeza for one example. Gohan (who no longer lifts) was still able to effortlessly two hit Tagoma when he finally decided to let loose and go SSJ. Despite this, Freeza was able to utterly obliterate Gohan in his first form literally without leaving his chair. Goku (in his base form), who is more or less at par with Vegeta at this point, then proceeded to fight Freeza in his fourth form (which is something like 240x stronger than his base form if we're still using power levels, which are bullshit) to a standstill. Now keep in mind that this fight took place before two (or three, I can't be bothered to check) years spent doing nothing but training in the hypertonic crying chamber.

Vegeta in his base form is so far beyond the rest of the cast its sort of laughable. Three years before this time he was able to go toe to toe with someone who was hundreds of times stronger than Super Saiyan Gohan. Sure Gotenks could run rings around Gohan, but I see no reason to believe he'd have been able to do gently caress and/or all to Freeza at the level Goku or Vegeta fought him.

quote:

Also, Beerus showing up and beating everybody senseless is a different story altogether. There's no comparison. He's a God, so there are almost no rules or boundaries for what his character can do. Are you guys seriously comparing Vegeta to Beerus?

They've taken steps to point out that if Vegeta and Goku worked together they could probably beat Beerus. That was before years spent training for a tournament. The two of them are rapidly approaching Beerus' level while characters like Gotenks are sadly being left in the dust.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rutibex posted:

What exactly is the deal with Super Saiyan Gohan anyway? Like, he was fighting Super Buu in his base form after the Elder Kai "unlocked his power". If base form Gohan is stronger than Super Buu, is he now 50X stronger than he was in the Buu saga, seeing as he can transform into a Super Saiyan?

Best guess it probably wore off. That or there is the fan joke that it transferred to Pan.

Caros
May 14, 2008

StrifeHira posted:

He's too busy perfecting Diaper Beam.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

People's hair changes colour when they grow older. It just darkened into an arguably lighter colour.

Frankly the whole hair thing is weird because we saw the exact same change with Bulma between Z and super yet no one batted an eyelash.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rutibex posted:

When did they say they were linked? I assumed that Bulmas time machine has a dial or knob or something that goes to alternate timelines, like the Tardis.

The assumption comes from the fact that when future trunks travels back to the future he arrives in 'his future' despite having changed the past. Presumably the same would be true of the cell time machine.

Then again both the cell time machine and the trunks time machine go back to the same past despite being from different futures, so who the gently caress knows.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Looks like we've got more DBZA imminent, TFS tracker is at 99 percent.

Up on YouTube now. Good call.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

DBZ introduced the super saiyan.
Sonic the Hedgehog ripped it off for super sonic.
Sonic then took it a step further with hyper sonic.
20-something years later Toriyama realizes balance must be restored to the force, and we get red, blue, and now even pink super saiyans.

DB Super is taking us in exciting new directions.

Maximum Over-sayian.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kild posted:

it's a trifecta of food based puns, instrument based puns, and devil based puns.

Yeah, people seem to keep overlooking that the name is also an homage to green dad in that pan flutes are a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Nah, I think Buu is 100% true immortal. The only reason that Kid Buu was able to be disintegrated was because it was not the "primary" Buu. Like, if you cut off Zamasus arm, and he grew a new one. It wouldn't violate his immortality if you could destroy the arm that was cut off.

Kid buu was pretty clearly the primary buu though?

Fat buu was an amalgam created when the original (kid) buu stated absorbing people. Eventually he got so pissed off that he ended up fighting with himself and suppressing the 'good' part in favour of the evil which led to super buu. You take fat buu out of the equation entirely and you are left with the original purely malevolent form.

If anything fatty is an offshoot that came about as a result of absorption the same way that super buu did.

• Locked thread