Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I'm hoping for a spread for each brother and dad getting curbstomped! Sanji's explosion is going to be incredible to see unfold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't they wake her up to find the right mirror?

They used tickle torture to make her spill it!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

anime was right posted:

wouldnt it make sense...

that bobbin is commander snack? he literally asks for snacks when he's introduced and is seemingly powerful enough and unphased enough to be a commander.

also, bobbin has like, the best voice in the anime. listening to that guy is so fun in that one clip of him.

That's an interesting idea! It would be a pretty decisive moment for Sanji protecting a weakened Luffy and finally showing us what he can do. One of the Commanders is a perfect way to do that!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

wasn't it implied that doflamingo killed him

if he shows up at all, I'd expect it to be like kuma and he's been modified in some way by vegapunk

No, Doflamingo said he disappeared into thin air which was definitely Abasalom saving him with his invisibility power. He's still out there somewhere

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah, Hancock got $80 million and then Shichibukai status after a single trip away from her Island. If hers was allowed to grow she would most likely have a giant bounty given her aggressive nature and Conqueror's Haki.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I always thought it was pretty clear that Moria was still alive and escaped with Absalom's ability. Then even if he had mortal injuries, Dr. Hogback would be able treat him pretty effectively.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

New chapter out a bit early! Jinbei is the coolest :allears:. But I really hope Luffy is ready to bust a move because he's not looking too good.

I must have channeled my inner-Katakuri because I 100% knew a one week break was coming at the end of the chapter...

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Looks like Katakuri has a glass jaw. :grin:

And dog teeth. Was Mangastream right all along???

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Sugar getting haki-sniped with a crudely drawn face is pretty much quintessential One Piece to me and I forgive all of the arc's weaknesses because the payoff was beyond worth it.

Zoro and Fujitora not being to cut or damage the bird cage is bullshit though.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

There were many times when I looked forward to chapters of Toriko more than One Piece and it's a shame the author had to wrap up so quickly when there seemed like a lot more could have been explored in the Gourmet World (and outer space because why not!). The Cooking Fest is one of my top 3 arcs of all time along with the Chimera Ant and the currently running Whole Cake Island arcs and I was rabid for those chapters to come out. It's such an adrenaline rush to read through it every now and then!

German Joey posted:

This!! One Piece is just too awesome for such a long a period of time to say its anything but the best. But those last few arcs near the end of Toriko though... man, those last 100 chapters of Toriko might be the greatest 100 chapters of any shonen ever. It was magical... all so freaking crazy and hilarious, and yet, by its own internal logic, it somehow all made complete sense.

Yeah. It's like the author achieved some sort of beyond-human, Buddha-like enlightenment state, like the blind Gungi girl from Hunter x Hunter, except with drawing flamboyant muscle men fighting insane monsters and then eating them.

The ending was one hell of a ride but it'll always be bittersweet to me because of the sheer amount of potential that had to be left behind. So many amazing characters that seemed like they were going to get more spotlight but had to be glossed over

Reiche fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 4, 2017

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm fine with Luffy struggling to take down Katakuri. The guy's one of the strongest pirates in the world, and this shows that Luffy's strong, but he's not quite there yet. Also lol at everyone who thought Luffy could take out Big Mom by himself. He can't even beat her henchman.

10 minute cooldown is still really stupid and I hate it

I agree with Katakuri being a little too much at this point, but I think there's a lot of value in the fight because between Doflamingo and Katakuri, things should be set for Luffy to start figuring out awakening. A future rematch (if the conclusion of this arc leaves that on the table) would be an excellent way to show Luffy's growth after tasting the full power of a Yonkou's top crew members.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Sub Harrison posted:

It would definitely change the atmosphere of the Ace-Sabo-Luffy arc if Oda was.

Oda is not a pedophile

Oda totally hates children, just take a look at every tragic backstory in the manga so far.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Zoro will reveal the Colour of the Supreme King on Wano IMO, he fits the requirements for it and when Luffy used it on Fishman Island that it was the minimum he'd expect in order to follow Luffy.

I can see this happening. Oda seems to be drawing a number of parallels between Luffy and Roger (voice of all things, straw hat, dying with a smile, etc) and since Reyleigh has Conqueror's Haki it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Zoro use it, perhaps for the first time in Wano. Zoro doesn't want to be Pirate King obviously but his drive to be the greatest swordsman may be enough to have it!

Now I'm not the biggest fan of Luffy being that similar to Roger but it would be awesome as hell for Zoro to bust it out.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Technically Sengoku's fruit is a mythical Zoan (Chopper has the base version obviously) along with Marco's which seem to be the most powerful of the Zoan fruits because they both offer some kind of ability beyond just a physical transformation. If Dragon indeed has a Dragon fruit then the supposed weather-control power would go along with the other two as well.

I hope once we move into the Wano arc we'll get to see a lot more zoan types, especially of the mythical and ancient varieties! I believe the only ancient Zoans we've seen so far are X Drake's, who has the most awesome Zoan, and Jack's if mammoth's count as ancient Zoans. Bring on some megafauna!

I've been wondering this though; what would happen to a Mink that ate their corresponding Zoan fruit? Like if Pedro got his paws on Rob Lucci's Jaguar fruit. Apparently a human that eats the hito-hito fruit would become an "enlightened" human, whatever that entails. So would Pedro become some kind of enlightened jaguar or just an especially hulked out were-cat? And now how would the Ceylon/Sulong transformation work into that? I wish I could ask Oda in an SBS...

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

This chapter owned. Katakuri owns and I don't care that it's dragged out because it's really driving home how big of an accomplishment taking him out truly is.

This is basically how I'm justifying it. While I do think Oda has some issues with heavily dragging out the conclusions in the last few arcs, this extremely long fight with Katakuri has been on point in showing just how far past his limits Luffy has had to overcome in order to triumph. The eventual panel of a victorious Luffy and downed Katakuri is going to be amazing and sooooo worth it!

RuBisCO posted:

Jesus Christ.

This panel is loving sick and made me audibly "Woahhhh" :allears:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Most likely. At least I don't think it's a coincidence.

gently caress yeah! If this scene doesn't get the same love and care in the anime that they did with Gear Second then the whole anime is trash.

Meh, I can't really think of anything in the last 8 chapters that I'd cut out to get to this point faster, and I'd prefer having this moment be it's own, full chapter as is.

The anime already ruined the initial gear 4 introduction imo so I don't have much confidence, if any, that this will be any different. I have a feeling that the anime will drag this fight out immensely...

But yeah, it's hard reading week to week. I've re-read the arc like 5 times now and everything is great when you can binge up to whatever current chapter!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Man I gotta stop watching the anime, it's so frustrating. The latest episode totally spoiled Luffy and Brook's milk gag in the previews for next week...

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I think they're collecting powerful fruits for his crew too. Jesus Burgess said the fire fruit was supposed to be his to eat.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Plus they have Sanjuan Wolf, the guy too huge to fit on any ship and has to swim everywhere.

But honestly we know almost no actual details of what BB's crew members can do fruit abilities or not. Who knows whether Blackbeard is absorbing all the fruits for himself or handing them out? My guess is both.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Sindai posted:

so one of those foodgasm gags in a cooking manga

I'm hoping for Big Mom's take on the Century Soup face myself

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Here's something that owns that I would have never expected from the NBA thread:

MelancholyMark posted:

Lol the Utah broadcast trying to explain Gobert's custom One Piece Luffy shoes rn

https://twitter.com/Kickstradomis/status/973375546791903232

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Hate-Senpai posted:

That's less about character importance and more because Oda is an avid baseball fan, and the chapter came out a few weeks after a major doping scandal in the NPB (Nippon Professional Baseball). It's his subtle way of getting the message across the performance enhancers aren't effective (hence why the dudes failed to kill or even hurt Crocodile) and dangerous (hence why they die from the side effects).

And suddenly the enemy with the baseball bat makes complete sense!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

DrakePegasus posted:

“Hey Zoro how did your date go?”

*covered in own blood* “Nothing...happened!”

“...is that good or bad?”

"Afraid to sleep with my girl on her monthly?

I don't want to go on a boring adventure like that."

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Case in point the last couple episodes are embarrassingly awful. I must have skipped through at least a third of both.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

That gets me thinking, how many proper 'character-faces' have we seen? Enel, Perona, Lucy, and Jinbei are all I can come up with at the moment but they've all been spectacular!

Edit: Ugh how could I forget Ussop and Sugar too, that was the climax of the entire Dressrosa arc for me

Reiche fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 11, 2018

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Charlotte Dogtooth, clearly named after the flower not the starch derived from it, which remains consistent with his family's names such as his beloved younger sister Charlotte Custard Blowtorch.

Charlotte Custard Blowtorch would be a pretty cool name imo :shrug:

Buuuut Charlotte Katakuri is way better

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I know! They actually did a wonderful job with the entire reveal and Katakuri's anger afterwards

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Zoro not being able to cut it was the biggest BS. Like, part of his mantra when he's dicing up Pica is "there is nothing I cannot cut" :shrug:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Robin's fruit with a strong haki user would be among the most broken powers in all of One Piece, no doubt

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Spoiler chat doesn't happen too often here thankfully so it's easy enough to stay away for a day or two.

One Piece is just too spectacular week to week. I personally won't go near spoilers for any reason.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

So does this mean Kaidou doesn't have a fruit but is actually a humongous dragon? It's obvious his club is a huge hunk of seastone which would make him fruitless in order to use it, unless it's just in the end like Smoker's.

I busted a gut so hard when Franky's face showed up

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

One Piece guest chapters during Oda's break weeks. Starring Togashi-sensei!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Ahaha I was watching some Ed Edd n Eddy clips and this scene with sumo wrestling Jimmy is the conclusion of the Luffy vs Cracker fight down to a tee! I wonder if Oda would like the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eaNPsqWjjc&t=163s

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It's odd that impel down exists almost as a soft execution for prisoners in several of the levels but shiliew was too cruel to continue to work there

I think his deal was that he sliced up both prisoners and guards willy-nilly

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I really appreciated Franky taking a page out of Señor Pink's book and supplexing a dude off the top of a building.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Just reading posts about Merry is enough to make my eyes misty.

I started reading One Piece in 2010 and it still floors me that one of the most poignant and emotional scenes in its entire run is about a boat. The other two that stand out to me are Robin's "I wanna live" and the panel when Sanji utterly breaks down in the rain outside of Pudding's room. That was devastating

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Luffy is hungry Luffy though.

Big Mom is Prader-Willi Luffy which I had look up the name of and it's surprising how her food-related behaviors match up the hunger-related symptoms of the disease.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

I just realized during this convo how brilliant it was to have Luffy stage a hunger strike in that arc while in contrast Big Mom was literally murdering her children if they got in the way of her cravings

Luffy is gluttonous but his friends are still way more important to him than food

Yup I love that juxtaposition too. I think even more emphasis can be added because Luffy actually gets repeatedly mad/frustrated that he has to eat in his fights (biscuits 'n mochi mmmmm). I honestly couldn't see Luffy raising a stink about eating during a fight at any other point in the manga.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

chappy? chapty chapper? chap plz.......gib chapeter

All I heard was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaljftPbxDA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Minion of Freya posted:

Can we at least agree that Gon was baby dumpster trash who smiled at everything literally the same way puppy would?

I don't think we read the same manga. Because this is incredibly wrong