Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Drythe posted:

Pre-order beta progress doesn't save to the release.

It most likely will, though. Current Beta won't, pre-order 'beta' will:

quote:

We've said this in previous threads, but I'll say it again for clarity :)

We want to keep all progress from the pre-order beta, but we can't promise that a wipe won't happen. It's still a beta, and if we encounter any issues that forces us to wipe the progress, we have to do it.

From: http://steamcommunity.com/app/235540/discussions/1/483366528923412735/#c483366528923517985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Metos posted:

I just did a Hard Horn 1grimoire where someone dropped the grimoire right at the end before the lift like an idiot but I still somehow rolled all successes and got this:

I'm loving stoked, but the fact that everyone keeps talking about a flaming sword that I've never managed to get makes me feeling like its just not good enough, because it could be on fire.

I got a flame sword last night (finally), but the lack of headshots is noticeable. I've been using the standard white bright wizard sword up until now - dodging into packs with a charged swing at head level and backing out. The flame swords don't have that headshot and It's pretty noticeable. The one you got is pretty drat good.

Beam staff primary is so nice, the alternate attack is ehh. It takes so long even with headshots to down specials compared to a headshot shot from anyone else. At least it stuns em, I guess?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Robzilla posted:

You know, after finally getting a flaming sword I gotta say I'm not that impressed with it's sweap. I prefer the starting type sword for the BW since the sweep is larger to hit more rats.

Second. I miss the headshots you get with the normal sword while sweeping at headheight as well. Then again, it's a flaming sword.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Trier posted:

Consider this proposal: Saltzpyre, surrounded by 3 Bright Wizards.

:sweatdrop:

80% of everyone's screen real estate is fire.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Is it me, or did they add like a second or so 'stun' when you get hit now? If you're moving and/or turning the camera and you get hit, it just locks your camera for a second and stops your movement and attacks/block attempts.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

My first run of Wizard Tower we had in the staircase behind the bookshelf you activate at the start:

Rat horde
Rat Ogre
Storm Vermin Squad
Packmaster that clipped through the bookshelf and dragged the person that went to open it through the wall and into the middle of them

Not sure what you're supposed to do about that.

I had a packmaster drag me back up the ledge you jump down from in Wizard's tower in order to open the gate in the illusion room. That sucked.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Finally, a blue trinket! I bet it's got a really useful trait!

Oh.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Gimnbo posted:

These packmasters are getting clever.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Desperately want a Dark Elf Corsair with a ridiculous Canadian accent.

Alternatively, http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Long_Drong%27s_Slayer_Pirates

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

apostateCourier posted:

+Revive speed is great, at least. It's great, being able to pick people up between rat swings.

+30% revive speed is the only trinket I've never replaced. It's so goddamn useful when it does actually happen to matter. Fast-revive dudes being beaten by ogres, fast revive dudes downed by assasins/clanrat mobbin's. So good.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 31, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

PSA: Always check behind you. Like, make a habit of it. Too many goons I've grouped with just like sprint ahead and ignore anything that's past. This isn't L4D - those 2 - 3 random clanrats chasing us WILL stab you in the butt at the worst time, or make the guy at the back of the group lose health dealing with it. Always be checkin your butts and killing rats that chase.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I believe they actually speed up if they're behind you.

Skaven love stabbin' backs.

It is very easy to lose someone who's only slightly behind because he keeps getting hit by random chasers - especially on 'escape' parts of missions (Ramparts, Enemy Below, etc). Don't ignore that poo poo.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Might've been me.

MEDIOCRE

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

Shotgun does one shot things in nightmare. So does other weapons (ie: good two handers for WH or soldier). Conflag does knock things back and set them on fire, but I don't really feel like it does enough for the amount of heat it generates. Especially given that it requires you to stand there winding up to aim your right click, which is an excellent way to lose all your health to getting stabbed in the rear end the entire game

You can still dodge around while winding up conflag/fireball.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Krinkle posted:

I looked really hard for that possibility, I couldn't find a "does a dumb shotgun blast in front of you" spell so I didn't know what to think.

I think that's 'Sear', and it's not dumb :colbert:.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Death by Chickens posted:

I like the elf's dual swords more than the sword + dagger combo. With dual swords I can normal attack constantly while dodging from side to side and kill hordes while taking minimal / no damage. With the + dagger I find that the last attack in the combo that stabs the dagger forward just completely ruins my timing and causes me to almost always get poked.

Do the charge attack that's the diagonal one (which is actually pretty great vs hordes), dodge back, move forward and repeat. Alternatively, block for like half a second after the diagonal charge attack hits and it'll reset. I lucked out and got a really decent orange sword & dagger set on the elf and I love it. The normal attacks have fairly wide sweeps as well.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

dogstile posted:

They were on half health and hadn't picked up a single grain bag, it definitely doesn't matter, they didn't win that one!
If I remember that game correctly (too much W&C last night), there's 2 grain sacks near the cart - just not in it, and we did actually win that one :v:.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 2, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Vargs posted:

Spent several hours bashing our heads against nightmare Wheat & Chaff the other day, come back today and we finished first try on an ultra smooth and easy run. Then we proceeded to complete nightmare Well Watch + Supply and Demand first shot as well, no problem. I almost feel like Fatshark secretly made the game 90% easier over the past 24 hours that I haven't touched Vermintide.

Glad to have nightmare completion out of the way though. Now I can get back to doing things that are at least slightly more loot-profitable than NM Wheat&Chaff/Well Watch/White Rat, which are pretty loving dire in that regard.

Slamming our dick into Nightmare Wheat and Chaff so many times before made this first run of the night that ended up perfectly so much more special.

Now all I need is NM Waterfront and Ramparts :v:.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 4, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

pnutz posted:

at least it doesn't kill you like that scepter in spelunky

https://youtu.be/pYewxmhMxuk?t=24

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The delay between shooting a charged fireball and quickswitching to melee literally keeps killing me; for some reason the entire animation just HAS to play out - I think i'm quickswitching, RMB to block and nope - chargin another fireball.

Why did I fuse my beam staff away :negative:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Finally, all the nightmare stuff done, thanks to a drat solid goon group that makes Nightmare feel like Hard. Those Wheat and Chaff runs paid off.

Next up, Cataclysm :v:.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 5, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Coolguye posted:

The rat ogre getting REALLY confused about being up on the mausoleum for a few moments was also really funny.

Rat ogre warpin' around and/or spinning into place seems like a thing now on Engines of War.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Protip: If you ever get a 'fatal error' popup during Enemy below - do not click ok. I was able to play fine with the error up - and if you click ok it instantly boots you out of the game. So, click OK in a safe spot or not at all? I don't know what the effect on the actual end of the mission is.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Tonight was my night! Finally rolled a 7

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Tai posted:

How forgiving is this game in the graphics department? Just wondering if the minimum requirements of the geforce 460 is set in stone or if lowering the graphics would allow my 260 to run it.

It is mostly very CPU heavy although the last patch has fixed that a bit. I'm on a 670 and can run things on medium/mixed high at 60fps with dips when the cpu can't cope with the shitton of rats. A 260 is probably gonna have a bad time unless you have a decent CPU to go with it, even on lowest settings.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wish that engines of war had a better finale. The Inn is just piss easy to defend. Go into the basement and rats can only attack from two narrow chokepoints. Go upstairs and their pathing breaks so badly that they forget they can climb walls through gaping holes in the building.

And yet I still see pubbies trying to hold the line at the loving pier and getting thrown into the water by an angry ROgre.

The basement has a little hole in the ground in the back now where occasionally some rats clamber up from now. It's still just 2 major chokepoints, but you gotta check your butt occasionally now too.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Skandranon posted:

It almost certainly isn't, as has been discussed here before, the roll actually takes place as soon as the mission registers as successful. You can see this when you roll your first 7, you will get the Steam Achievement for it as soon as the map ends, and upon rolling your dice, you will of course get 7. As to why you had to re-roll, that is a mystery.

Like But not Tonight said, trait rolls are done completely clientside and are very much manipulable.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey elf can be good it's just that you have know what you're doing and play smart and most people don't.

Kind of like snipers in literally every shooter.

Elf is actually really good if you dont try to pretend to be Legolas lite. Her spam melee with a good Sword & Dagger is amazing for clearing out trash, and the charge attacks with S&D are also good at clearing trash (1st charge especially) or dealing with stormvermin people can't snipe. I have an orange trueflight and I think 90% of my time is spent meleeing. Clear out trash from around people who can snipe; use trueflight if no/little trash around to get specials or clear rats.

But I'm gonna agree, among goons the worst players have been dwarves or soldiers - not elves.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

trash is always around when you're playing

ohohohohoh

(let's play tonight~)

You're right, If i play with you, trash is always around.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Bad soldiers make me upset because I'm a really good soldier and I don't like thinking "if I don't play the soldier myself we are going to die".

I think most of the bad soldiers/dwarves are actually because they think they're being good by sniping specials - which is great - but the bad ones ignore the situation around. If your'e a Shield & whatever soldier/dwarf don't ignore the 15 rats around to try and snipe a special and then call bullshit as you get hit. Obviously situational, but I see too many of them just pull out the handgun and then get stabbed 4 times just to try and snipe a globadier which is way behind and not yet a threat. You can still snipe em just take like 10 seconds to clear this trash first, drat.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Whoever jumps in right now: It's not the ogre that kills you, its the rats he spawns and/or show up while dealing with him, especially on nightmare+.
This is really not a difficult concept; whoever has aggro kites him around preferrably relatively close to people, the other 3 clear rats, deal with specials that show up and only once those two jobs are done stab/shoot the ogre. You can also pick up downed people the ogre is beating on without getting knocked back, and you should - just make sure the ogre isn't aggro on you.

E: Also if the ogre is aggroed on you, if you have full stamina you can block the actual attack and negate any damage - he'll still knock you back though. The slam attack also can't be blocked.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 21, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

No. 6 posted:

That is weird. Right now this is all I can see after the Vermintide logo

or

Repeat ad nauseam

Like Coolguye said, this is somehow unique to you. I'm assuming you've tried reinstalling/Verifying cache just to make sure. Also I remember an issue about Steam names with strange characters? So if youre one of those, try renaming yourself to something that just has standard ASCII characters.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I want to pick this game up but I heard that it's pretty buggy (A.I. director is hosed, netcode isn't great etc.)

Is there any truth to this?

AI director can sometimes really want your group dead when it spawns a special "gently caress you" combo of specials, but other than that I wouldn't say it's an issue.
Netcode has never been an issue for me as a EU playing mostly on games hosted by American people - you just have to be aware of the latency t hat exists whenever you are not the host, regardless of his location, in that you can't be as ballsy with blocks and dodges.

If anything my issue recomending this game to people would be its heavy CPU depency, although that's been somewhat resolved in one of these last patches. If you don't have a decent cpu (and that is generous - I'm on an i5 2500K at 4ghz, which is a 5 year old CPU and I run good on medium settings), regardless of your graphics card, you will have a bad time. On the flipside, turning down CPU heavy options like physics debris and some particular graphics options doesn't really have a big effect on how t he game looks but generally has a big performance increase.

But then there's always those situations where youre in a horde spawn and there's 60+ rats, and that'll take a toll on your system, regardless of settings.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Turns out, if you keep block up when you hit E to revive someone - it'll actually keep blocking during the entire revive animation. The only thing that'll interrupt you is specials.
I fully expect them to patch that out at some point though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

New patch is supposed to drop tomorrow right?

Thursday the third.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

IAmUnaware posted:

I'm not super familiar with WHFB's lore, but you can see Schluesselschloss on this map: http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow.html It's south of where the map loads, just south of the big Reikland banner, and just west of Ubersreik and the Reikwald Forest. Apparently it's featured in an adventure from a WFRP boxed set called Hero's Call: http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-Fantasy-Roleplay-Heros-Call/dp/1616613343

It sounds like Schluesselschloss is a big castle sitting at one end of a mountain pass that serves as the tomb of a legendary hero of the Empire called Otto who got himself turned into a vampire, except since he's a vampire now it's less of a tomb and more of a prison. Otto managed to sneak a magic artifact called the Black Orb into the tomb with him, and he's using it to mind-control the current steward of the castle above, as well as some nearby goblins for some reason. In the adventure an army of orcs comes into the pass and sieges the aging and poorly-maintained castle, but I don't know how relevant that will be to us going there.

Someone already datamined some of the unused strings a while ago:

quote:

"Find A Way Into Castle Drachenfels"
"Drachenfels Castle"
"Outside Drachenfels Castle"
"Drachenfels Castle Floor 1"
"Drachenfels Castle Floor 2"
"Drachenfels Catacombs"
"Drachenfels Ballroom"
"Find the Chalice"
"Take the Chalice"

Which is this castle. Could be a reference to that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

I found one of the grimoires on the new Horn of Magnus. It's really easy to get to - in the same room as the first tome, just perched on the top of the doorframe behind you as you come in the room. A pubby showed me where the second one is - run to the left once you enter the big courtyard, there's a crate half-sunk into the ground at a slant. Jump up on it and run up the slant, which directs you straight to a series of jumps onto various rubbish then onto a little ledge sticking out of the surrounding buildings. Follow the ledge around the left side of the courtyard, jumping from ledge to ledge, until you drop down onto a tiny platform which has the grimoire on it.

You don't even need to do all those stupid jumps, you can just run to the side where the actual grimoire is and grab it while just jumping up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwTIcIMn8Q

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Mortimer posted:

Does anyone still play normal mode or am I SOL if I don't want to play nightmare+

IF (and that's a big if) you can find people to play normal to get your bearings, you should move up to hard. Practially nobody plays normal because the difficulty:reward doesnt matter until you at least play hard. But, you really should try and play a game on normal, even if it's all bots just to get your bearings. Then move to hard. Plenty of pubbie groups playing hard.
You should play Hard to get more familiar with blocking and dodging

Once you feel comfortable with the game mechanics, try a nightmare. Don't just drop into nightmare because you will have a bad time.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 5, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Grondoth posted:

What are the staff vet item stats

Here is all 40 Veteran items. A lot of them are not good

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does hail of doom even work on Beam staffs? Does it just add an extra tick like haste does when doing the beam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Metrohunter posted:

I think the crosshair grows an extra pair of legs if you get a headshot. Like, it gets two extra notches on it when you hit something, and then another two on top of that if you scored a headshot.
Handguns and crossbows will drop stormvermin with a single headshot regardless of weapon quality/difficulty. Maybe not a white handgun on cataclysm mode but I'm not mad enough to try that one. Longbows require at least two good headshots

Gasrats are probably the hardest to reliably headshot because a) they really love to shuffle, 2) their hitbox is really weird. But I think an orange handgun (and maybe crossbow?) oneshots them even on a body shot on Nightmare

• Locked thread