Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Did the thorns tear out their own/their victims' wings and shove them into Metatron's wounds?

Also, I enjoyed the story of Het. All the written background shorts have been pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Oxxidation posted:

Pree Aesma would be proud.

Aesma certainly seems the type to be happiest when humans are causing as much trouble as possible for everyone else in Throne and would probably really approve of masking devils.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Well the text underneath says that the recently dead are valuable to travelers for carrying cargo.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Archenteron posted:

Gotta say that for being a few (hundred) millennia old, (Dream) Incubus still looking fine :swoon:

Even so I feel like if a dude shows up in your dream and says his name is Incubus that has to set off some alarm bells

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Say Nothing posted:

Have any demons actually been killed yet?

I'm calling that it's going to be an ironic name since so far demons have been chill (as long as she's winning drinking contests) and the angels are the ones that are hostile to her. Like maybe she'll make deals with demons to fight and possibly die for her?

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
I have no idea what's going to happen here, it's going to be kind of a let down if Allison gets away too easy after the seven have been hyped up so much.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
I'm the bald ordinary guy in the upper left, looking like he doesn't really want to be here with all these weirdos.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
I just remembered that the Ogam in this update's story was mentioned before here where he offered to do YISUN a service and didn't fully understand the answer.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Jormagund posted:

And even without fruit will she necessarily die or just stay a crone, slowly wrinkling and husking until nothing but power remains... or transcend to another form of being, who needs flesh.

I would not be one bit surprised if she had other options that she didn't want to do since the other demiurges are still around. Or if she didn't even need the fruit but somehow didn't know it, it just kept her looking young and kept up appearances.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

The Mentalizer posted:

Sorry man, she might make it out of the fight but she's still dying. She's already looking quite a bit older.

Well if Zoss can keep showing up despite being dead, this might not be her last appearance anyway.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Mr. Lobe posted:

she really did, too. if not for Allison, her neck would have been slit to feed a stupid tree that's not even alive anymore

Probably its still not safe for her to go back home so she might as well follow the hero.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Has anyone guessed yet that the stolen key opens the gate to Allison's world? I'm not sure how but maybe that's what kicked everything off in this story.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

These shouldn't be this funny, the thread in cccc has broken me

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Lunatic Sledge posted:

The commentary at the bottom was a lyric from Meshuggah's "I Am Colossus." I looked up the rest of the lyrics out of curiosity. Seems appropriate and/or foreboding.

He's quoted Meshuggah before, from "Behind the Sun" on the same album I think. Along with Gojira and other similar metal bands.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

MikeJF posted:

I suspect his thing will be that he thinks he's a good guy who's making the universe a better place even though he's gone way past the line and ended up evil like all the others.

I'm guessing his worlds make 1984 or the Castle look good. Or worse, like in the Book of the New Sun, there is a nation of "tamed" people that can only quote the official texts:

Gene Wolfe posted:

Speaking almost to myself, I said, "It must surely be a trick, or a lie, or a mistake. Such a nation could not exist."
And the Ascian, his voice no louder than my own had been, and perhaps even softer, answered, "How shall the state be most vigorous? It shall be most vigorous when it is without conflict. How shall it be without conflict? When it is without disagreement. How shall disagreement be banished? By banishing the four causes of disagreement: lies, foolish talk, boastful talk, and talk which serves only to incite quarrels. How shall the four causes be banished? By speaking only Correct Thought. Then shall the state be without disagreement. Being without disagreement it shall be without conflict. Being without conflict it shall be vigorous, strong, and secure."
I had been answered, and doubly.

wow

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Avshalom posted:

the new devil has fluffy ears. i am content

Dhuutholmel last showed up briefly during the drinking contest. His fluffy ears are new though

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
I just realized that little horned figurine is a rubber stamp. This comic has such great settings and background details

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Say Nothing posted:

Is that purple lady an angel?

I guess this is the head priest, the alt-text is 000001.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Diogines posted:

I think a more likely explanation is that it was all set up when Mammon was still a jackass.

Poor, poor Grandpa Dragon :(. He needs a hug.

I feel pretty certain he's still a jackass and trying to play someone who can possibly actually kill him, although he probably really has gotten weaker with age. The story under the previous comic said that the better way was to lower your defenses and bring them back up when needed: "You are both prisoner and warden. This is the hardest way, but the strongest."

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Pureauthor posted:

well, I guess no one actually fights Mammon then!

Now we just have to deal with Oscar and Mottom on the way out

I'm thinking Mottom either bought him and left or is there to try to prevent anyone from taking him out.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Polaron posted:

Can someone please remind me who the hell all of these people are and why they're chasing Allison?

They're guild mercenaries/the pursuers. They first showed up at the brothel in book one and started killing each other over the key, then stopped long enough to pursue her to Mottom's palace in book two. I think only Maya, Layla Brimstone, and Eris-Lo Kai were actually named in comic and have had dialogue.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Darth Walrus posted:

Mottom only hit Yre because she was chasing after Allison. Her spy network is probably good enough that if they hadn't gone in, the war wouldn't have happened.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm pretty sure Mottom knew Allison had entered Yre.
When she comes in she's not asking about Zaid or if Allison has arrived yet, she knew Allison was in the vault.
That tells me she got wind of Alison's heist, and wouldn't have come if Allison had stayed away.

I don't think Mottom is acting even this rationally. I think it's as simple as she told Allison that's where Zaid was and decided to tear the place apart to find her without caring about the consequences. I doubt she even double checked that Allison went into Yre.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Magnus Manfist posted:

"There is nothing beyond my control." - Dude who has to share ruling the universe with six lunatics who he hates

Mottom hates him too so I don't see why he thinks he can mediate between her and Mammon, other than his ego.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
None of these guys have keys either, so he doesn't even trust his idiot sons with that much. I bet the guy can't delegate and doesn't share with anyone else either if he can't even trust his family

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
K6BD: a rude, renegade, and unrefined style,

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Phy posted:

Angels got way too much gravitas to use Culture ship names.

The warship names would fit since they were supposed to be more direct, like "Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints".

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Dead Reckoning posted:

Except their essential natures are demonstrably not bullshit: Cio will eventually deliquesce back into the Black Flame if she doesn't find a way to cool her essence,

What are you talking about here? Where was this in the comic?

Demiurge4 posted:

Like I’ve been theorising in my head for a while that Allison is going to cut white chain from her nature somehow and give her a fleshy body in the material world. Both white chain and cio are very significant because they’re two sides of the underpinning of the entire universe and something crazy is going to happen to transform both.

I guess something like that could happen since Allison has all the power in this story, but I feel like a literal physical change would be an unsatisfying way to answer the questions these characters have about who they are.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

If these stories take place at the same time, Intra may have killed Yemmod while Solomon-David was training and robbed him of his revenge. But then how did he get so smug?

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Schwarzwald posted:

She could be addressing Incubus, but she could just as easily just be speaking to (and about) the room as a whole, or to no one at all.

I wonder if Jadis knows he's plotting against them. Or maybe she just dislikes the guy who hangs out in a blood pool.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Malpais Legate posted:

I think it's still larger than the original run of the first book?

I just remember my copy of that being a whole lot smaller than my other trade paperbacks.

It is, mine are all different sizes and it irrationally annoys me. I actually like this middle size best for some reason.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

President Ark posted:

Whose Worm Is It Anyway?

Who Wants to be a Million Worms?

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

PMush Perfect posted:

Under Solomon David's reign, you are guaranteed a house for the rest of your life.

Imagine the paperwork that he would make you fill out to prove you're still alive etc. though

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
The sun is driving it all but yeah the sugars formed in photosynthesis are either "burned" or used as cellular building block material.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Bongo Bill posted:

I really like the wordless exchange between the bald guy with the axe and the sword guy who remained kneeling.

My favorite is the lady in the middle looking one way then the other at all these idiots. I can't really tell but it looks like she's grimacing and grabbing her weird circular weapon, but hasn't moved in the last panel.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Ok, now is White Chain and/or Allison still dumb enough to fight him?

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Maybe she'll visit Solomon in his dreams? Does he even sleep?

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Glagha posted:

Tricking him into trying to remove his soul from his own body would be the funniest poo poo not gonna lie.

That's kind of perfect, he's so arrogant I could see him trying it anyway even though he probably he knows he's not supposed to be able to do it.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

JustaDamnFool posted:

This webcomic, and this thread, is incredibly loving rad

OhFunny posted:

This is some fantastic content all around.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Bongo Bill posted:

Jagganoth started the war of cosmic annihilation that he had been threatening to start by singlehandedly invading Rayuba, thereby triggering the obligations stipulated in the Pact of the Seven-Part World.

The reason why he wants to destroy the multiverse is complicated. However, he has become aware that Zoss keeps rewinding the universe every time he's about to succeed, because the old man keeps picking successors who fail to stop him.

Isn't it Metatron that rewinds time back? Zoss mentioned somewhere that he tried to master the wheel but only became a prisoner of it, but I can't find that page now, just the one where Juggernaut blames Zoss for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

lmao