Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

His name actually was apparently supposed to be Bring Stabity and was supposed to be a 'distorted' version of Bring Stability. They even called him Bring Stabity in the official dub.

Let me tell you about Eww-reka Seven....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

G-reco is contrroversial. I greatly enjoyed it and I know many others who did, but I also know a lot of people hated it. One thing you should know is that it expects you to pay close attention, so if you don't you'll probably have a bad time. It's available on Hulu

There are things like Raraiya regaining her mind midway through the series that can somewhat seem like they're out of nowhere, but if you take a second look through the early episodes (or just hung out in the thread at the time) you pick up a lot of great subtle moments that build up to it properly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

I would not be surprised if people have been complaining about cute girls ruining anime since shortly after it existed

There's probably someone somewhere furious about how popular Gundam is with the housewife demographic.

I know that was the case for SEED at least, is it a general thing, or was that an outlier?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

AGE is still pretty good five episodes in and the annoying rear end in a top hat pilot turned out to not be an annoying rear end in a top hat for the most part.

This is going to be another round of watching one man's slow descent into madness isn't it? :sigh:

Turn back now, there are much better shows! :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Meanwhile, as of episode 8, AGE has veered into what feels like formulaic weekly cartoon territory, but it's still pretty decent. :unsmith:

Dude, bail. Save yourself while there's still time :ohdear:. We won't think less of you for doing so, just the opposite in fact.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gyra_Solune posted:

gundam forgets that usually its bits outside the robots are really cool and good. i was legit interested in politicians scheming at each other in gundam 00 and I was very sad when they opened up the second half with 'okay no more of that now the antagonists are exactly the same thing as the titans', even if it was there for a decentish reason

they do so many robot fights to sell toys, in truth, but to be honest it's probably in their best interest to make a handful of really striking and iconic designs rather than dozens upon dozens of somewhat forgettable ones, and just make more varieties of figures for those. it means they stick out better in the audiences memory, are more greatly appreciated down the road and thus can be remade a lot, and you have to animate less fancy shiny robots swerving around

IBO, so far, is doing this right

Gundam 00's second season got beaten into them from on-high for being "un-Gundam", sadly :sigh:. Though I did like the 0-Gundam looking like a GN-equipped RX-78-2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Should I watch the new Gundam anime?

Also I've only ever seen Wing as a kid and the movie for that growing up. What gundam should I watch (I know I should watch the original, but confused what order like aren't the movies supposed to be better than the normal anime?)

Iron-Blood Orphans is a completely stand-alone universe, and yes you should because it's fantastic. If you want a decent rendition of the original series, go read Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin. It's a series of hardcover manga retelling it with decent pacing and having the benefit of not being written on the fly only to have to fudge the last 25 episodes of content down to 15.

The Missing Link posted:

South Burning. Lockon Stratos.

The Gundam-00 Meisters don't really count, as those were all codenames to protect their identities. Lockon's real name is a much more mundane Neil Dylandy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My favourite thing about this list is people pointing out these inaccuracies, but my calling 00 a super robot show is something everyone agrees with. :v:

Well it really is, from the perspective of everyone who wasn't a member of Celestial Being at least. There you are, showing off your top-of-the-line transforming fighter going through its paces, then some fancy white motherfucker touches down in a cloud of magical flickering lights and cleaves your billion-dollar robot in two like it's made of warm butter. Then for a followup it floats away to make your existing fighter aces look like fumbling morons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know if the US is getting it, but Madman Entertainment's announced a G no Reconguista DVD set in Australia. First half of the series gets released in January.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Only with subtitles I presume?

Yup. Most of Madman's dubbed DVDs are rips of the US releases, down to the Funimation-marked trailers :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CaptainYesterday posted:

I would watch/listen to G-Reco dubbed by Australians. Make this happen, Madman!

You know, on second thought this actually already exists; Steer's VA is half-Australian :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infected posted:

00 is a very long and elaborate message about promising beginnings that end in utter disappointment.

Actually it was more a message of "don't try anything new and/or successful, or the guys upstairs lose their loving minds".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Booourns posted:

I just want an RX-78 model that changes wildly in shape and proportion every time I look away from it, preferably without drug use

Stick one in a microwave and blink slowly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The Crossbone fight was pretty OK.

It becomes pretty glaring when you notice that most of the good fights come from an absence of the Build Burning Gundam, the Tryon fight being an outlier. Even the Star Winning and Lightning actually got a decent final fight going 2v2 at the end.

ImpAtom posted:

Man, you don't have to argue that point to me, I'm just sayin' that if all you want is contextless fights BFT has a dude throwing fire phonixes every episode.

That's the exact problem though; It doesn't work when you have five other machines in the arena every fight that only exist to benefit setting up Sekai's Stock Footage Jigen Haoh Ryu Attack No.1/2/3 and just winds up tedious to watch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

Yeah us canucks don't get much, let us have this one sunrise.

Sunrise already gave you guys the licenses to dub most of the Gundam series in English, what more do you want?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Madman's having a hell of a sale on their website at the moment, including a few Gundam DVD's. Just picked up Char's Counterattack and Stardust Memories for all of $8 total if anyone else is looking for a cheap copy of either. And about $70-odd worth of other dirt-cheap DVD's and blu-ray's :shepspends::cripes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

Dang, I missed the actual figure for how long. Okay that makes more sense

Yeah, a big part of the series is that all the factions are pretty much playing at war with no real understanding of it anymore. Don't look at it with a modern understanding of combat, think more like World War 1 where they saw shellshock and PTSD as simply "cowardice", expected the whole issue gone in a year, and people were joining up to go to give those drat foreigners a jolly good kicking because they were clearly the better folk :wotwot:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

What's the difference between a mobile suit and mobile armor?

muike posted:

a mobile armor is non-humanoid, basically

It's more like if Mobile Suits are giant soldiers, then Mobile Armour are relatively-scaled tanks and artillery pieces.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Mobile Armors are monsters of the week.

Also, yes.

tsob posted:

G-Reco implies that the major powers weren't fighting for something like a thousand years though. And that coming out of a major crisis that created a lot of resource problems. Which seems like the kind of thing that'd create conflict. I am not, by the way saying that the show is bad for using this scenario because the show justifies it which is all that's important - just that any scenario where the whole world is at peace for something like a millenia is more unrealistic than 20 meter tall robots, psychic space conversations and so on to me.

Up until now, everyone's been kept in check by Capital Tower giving every nation equitable distribution of Photon Batteries. Every nation's kept the peace for nearly a millenia, because otherwise Daddy Gets Mad and their people starve in blackouts. Even the current war took some real nudging to kick off from outside factions, along with passing out the Rose of Hermes blueprints like candy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

Ep. 13 finally puts some faces to the threat from space, which is nice. Aida might be bad at the whole fighting thing, but I do like that she just went "fuckit let's go to the moon"

Also evil commander's little scurry out when the negotiators arrived was pretty funny. I'm guessing he's a deserter from the moon or something?

Holy poo poo, I never noticed that before. "I... forgot... a thing... BYE!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, BF had a couple of legitimately crap fights (SBS vs GXMaoh being a great example here) but they were by far the exception.

It's also worth remembering that out recent television output has been Gundam "Stock Footage" SEED, Gundam "we don't need to animate things moving" 00, and Gundam "Hahahaha" AGE. G-Reco is probably the best television show in terms of combat since then and even then its more due to strong storyboarding with dynamic scenes rather than high-budget animation. IBO has been reasonably good (but a little on the Gundam 00 side) but has also had like 3.5 fights in 10 episodes. Which is not a bad thing but still.

You forgot Build Fighters "Director's Golden Child Sekai" Try.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Level Slide posted:

Put a Gundam skin on a Danball Senki skeleton. But first remove the robot tournament bones and replace them with more assassination attempts and vehicular manslaughter.

In other words; more Build Fighters?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably still in production. It hasn't been that long since they were announced, relatively speaking.

They've started showing a kit from it behind frosted glass, so its definitely progressing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

I did it I finished G. Reco

Tell me about all the subtle poo poo I probably missed.

I was just super happy that Mick Jack survived, I was worried that all the supporting characters not on the Megafauna's team would get destroyed in the finale.

E: I guess I should share some thoughts on the ending. I thought it made sense that everyone just dropped fighting once the commanders were killed. Most of the ones left didn't have a huge stake for glory or anything like that.

I thought it was weird they never said if the people from Towasunga were going to continue trying to take the earth back. Their 3 commanders getting blown the gently caress up dissuaded them I guess.

I was confused by the Venus Globe G-IT group. They all seemed hyper ready for some bloodshed, but the remaining girl was relieved when Bellri spared her and called a ceasefire. I was honestly expecting her to try a sneak attack.

Happy with the ending though. Despite fighting each other, everyone seemed pretty amicable in the epilogue scenes. Bellri ditching Noredo seemed pretty cold, but he never even hinted at reciprocating her feelings sooooo oh well.

Show owned and was super pretty, there's so many small details in the animation that I loved. Evil rear end in a top hat from space's last minute death was p funny too.

I actually wound up putting a list together in the original G-Reco thread, because there were so many factions. Spoilered for anyone who hasn't gotten around to watching G-Reco yet.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, I think I've managed to break down all the factions properly;

• Venus Globe
    • Venus Goverment - Backing the Megafauna with new toys and the Venus Police Mechs.
    • The G-IT Lab - Trying badly to kick off the Recongusita of Earth and backing the Capital Army. Pretty much see any Earthnoids as mindless savages.
  • Towasanga
    • Dorette Fleet - Also trying to kick off their own Reconguista of Earth, and now starting to get their poo poo pushed in because they no longer have the fanciest toys.
    • Towasanga Civilians/Rebels - Some of them were backing Aida and Bellri, turns out some of them were G-IT spies. Whoops.
  • Earth
    • The Megafauna - Gone to see the elephant where Photon Batteries come from and to end the monopoly to improve life for everyone.
    • The Capital Guard - Pretty much stuck nodding and doing whatever the Capital Army says at this point.
    • The Capital Army - Grandstanding amateurs, save for a few pilots like Mask's Team, and largely at the whims of whatever Cumpa's endgame is. Out to get better toys from Towasanga for themselves.
    • The Amerian Army - Klim Nick's command. Out to take Sankt Porto/Towasanga for themselves to take the Photon Battery monopoly and end the war that way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Man, the last shot there is so genuinely uncomfortable. Dude seems that death coming.

I think rather than a vertical slice it should've been a stab into the chest that suddenly turned into coming right through the middle of the screen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly a lot of the Gundam series have at least a few good moments. I genuinely liked the bit in SEED after they get to Earth where a guy is drinking a soda and tries to just let it go before remembering that he's got gravity now and he can't do that.

I always liked that the Strike's Aile Pack could only act as basic jump-jets in gravity.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

UC Gundam has always been pretty good with depicting people in space, really. It's cool.

Yeah, its really nice that outside of the robots they put some effort and research into how people would live in space. Just the little details other shows don't bother with like packing the crew into spacesuits for combat because, hey, the ship's gonna take damage so why not do something about surviving decompression? :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Easy example based on the top of my head: Insisting that A-LAWS in Gundam 00 is "Arrows", despite the fact that their logo clearly states otherwise.

Pretty sure it's also an acronym, so how anyone got that idea is beyond me :psyduck:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The writer's Mari Okada. She might want a giant space harem of adoring women, but it's not something I'd immediately assume.

I just put it down as one more (among probably a lot more) hosed-up unhealthy environment like the CGS child soldiers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

So a guy I know posted some pics which I guess are endings for the game Gihren's Greed.

Char/Casval and Sayla/whatever her real name is take over Zeon.

vs.

Garma takes over Zeon.

It just made me curious, which would have been better for the UC? I would assume Deikun's kids restore Zeon to its more democratic or republican government but loving Char is still a major player. On the other hand, I would assume Garma continues the Zabi dictatorship but we know Garma is actually a good person and would not be another Gihren and kill billions of people.

Char and Sayla by a clear mile. All Char really cared about is newtypes, and at least Sayla's a half-decent person. Any Zabi comes with the baggage of the entire family infighting with eachother and he'd have a lifespan of however long it took before conflicting with Kycilia or Gihren's own plans.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Democrazy posted:

I just finished reading the novelization of Mobile Suit Gundam by Tomino and for everyone who hasn't read it, I would highly recommend. It's a re-imagining of the story that tones down the super mecha elements of the series and doubles down on the high-concept sci-fi elements of Newtypes and space colonization. Aside from that, it departs significantly in that it takes place entirely in space, places new emphasis on ship combat and fleshes out a lot of characters, like the Zabis, Deikun siblings and General Revil.

Also,
Lalah is only alive for 20 pages and Char isn't even a full Newtype

Just a great, more mature retelling of the series.

I might be wrong, but doesn't The Origin manga do that too? From what I could tell, having not seen the original series, it seemed to be impying Char wasn't a full Newtype and just really wished he was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I could buy that Zeon proposed war as a possibility if the Earthnoids didn't play nice, and then the Zabis ran with that into "kill every loving Earthnoid NOW". I mean, even Gandhi said that sometimes armed resistance is necessary- the image of him as a pure, 100% pacifist is entirely a fabrication.

Yeah, I'd wager he probably said something like "we'll fight if we really have to to win our independence", and the Zabi's co-opted that into "WE FIGHT NOW AND WE'LL KILL THEM ALL!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheManSeries posted:

He's also incredibly effective as Kira's antithesis especially in the fact that he is the only villain in the show to make post deathmatch Kira break his oath to pacifism. Rau goes around killing so many of Kira's friends just to prove that pacifism poo poo will not cut it.

It doesn't hurt that Rau's dub VA absolutely killed with the role. Let alone Kira's friends :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeanBeansShako posted:

They really did, did Star Wars fandom ramp up the pace in the late eighties/early nineties in Japan?

But yeah, how light hearted and silly is G-Gundam? I need a break from the pathos, drama and suffering.

If you really need some cheerful Gundam, there's also Build Fighters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Mask's motivations are pretty clear, and he doesnt even care Cumpa's basically winding him up and setting him off most of the time to further Cumpa's plans so long as he gets a shot at kicking Bellri's poo poo in for the last n+1 times Bellri soundly clowned him with the G-Self.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

oohhboy posted:

Then there is the asinine episode where everybody starts fighting over space trash. Everybody was trying to do their own little gambits, but it was just embarrassing. People died over space trash.

This one was explained pretty drat clearly; do you see the big extravagant ship in the background? That belongs to the people who bring the Photon Batteries to Earth. If Mommy and Daddy catch the children squabbling and scratch up their sweet ride as a result, they might get pissed off enough that there'd be no Photon Battery shipments for anyone.

Everyone involved is at least smart enough to understand that they all might want to captain or rock the proverbial boat, but you don't try to sink it out from under everyone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gao posted:

It almost feels like someone played a prank on the Gundam fanbase by releasing two different shows under the same name and picked one at random to show to each of us. I mean I got 18 episodes in, and I honestly only have a vague at best idea of what anyone is even trying to do or why. It just seems like a bunch of people I barely know fighting each other simply because that's what they do and randomly switching sides for seemingly no reason. The series seems to vaguely hint at things, then move on without exploring or explaining further. Or maybe it's a show where if you miss something early on, you're just hosed for the rest of the series.

I'll break out the good ol' faction chart. Spoilered for those who haven't watched and all that, and cut back to around where you're at instead of the full final-arc rundown.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

• Towasanga
    • Dorette Fleet - Trying to kick off their Reconguista of Earth, despite the Towasanga general populace really wishing they wouldn't, but don't have the clout to stop them.
    • Towasanga Civilians/Rebels - Backing the Rayhuntons; Aida and Bellri.
  • Earth
    • The Megafauna - Gone to see the elephant where Photon Batteries come from and to end the monopoly to improve life for everyone.
    • The Capital Guard - Pretty much stuck nodding and doing whatever the Capital Army says at this point.
    • The Capital Army - Grandstanding amateurs, save for a few pilots like Mask's Team, and largely at the whims of whatever Cumpa's endgame is. Out to get better toys from Towasanga for themselves.
    • The Amerian Army - Klim Nick's command. Out to take Sankt Porto/Towasanga for themselves to take the Photon Battery monopoly and end the war that way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What you both seem to keep missing is that the moral of G-Reco is most people don't actually want war, it's just a handful of people with the right influence pushing for it. The whole point of stopping everyone involved is that they are the focal points for their respective faction's plans for their own plans to conquer Earth. Putting each of them down hard kills off the entire faction's drive for all-out war.

Caros posted:

They shot down an entire countries space navy during the finale as an almost incidental thing. I'd say the war had pretty well started.

Which ends the war outright, because, hey now they don't have a navy anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

They are not.

Kira was literally raised in an artifical womb. Cagalli was not. Kira is a Coordinator and Cagalli isn't.

Anyway Cagalli's name is Japanese in origin. It's actually derived from the word kagaribi. Cagalli's just how they decided to write it because Gundam.

Doesn't Cagali go SEED Mode late the series too though, or am I misremembering?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I like EW Heavyarms more but that's about it.

I just want Bandai to stop jerking us around and start releasing EW RG's that aren't the Wing Gundam already :argh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Its on the official Gundam Youtube channel. (Gundam.info)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GulagDolls posted:

i offer a blood sacrifice to the great gundam man, so that he might deliver unto me more blessed cartoons

See, there's your problem. You gotta nuke an MG kit of one of his existing series in the microwave to appease Tomino and receive the boon of a new show.