Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Of course, we're ignoring the greatest Zeon ace of all, Breniff Oguz.

Notable traits:
Mild mannered
Not a dick
Credited kills to his wingmen rather than glory hogging
Never got a custom paint job
Oldtype
Just focused on shooting the enemy from as far away as possible
Criticized Zeon's deployment of undertrained pilots

He's great. Just this nice, kind of boring older guy who presumably retired to work on his garden after the war, and he's at the top of the Zeon killboard.

It has to just be the worst if you're one of the guys trying to revive Zeon. Like you work for months to covertly get into contact with The Greatest Zeon Ace Of All, and he's politely disinterested, but he wants to talk to you about his begonias, because Helen, you have to meet Helen, she's a peach, Helen said they'd grow better if he bought this new fertilizer, and gosh if she wasn't right, and you have to spend six hours just yammering about nothing before he explains that he never was that big into Zeon in the first place, but good luck with whatever it is you're working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Srice posted:

It also ultimately serves to explain something that really didn't need any explaining in the first place.

I'd go as far as to say it's a case where the explanation changes the meaning.

On its own, Zeta suggests that even relatively "good" systems can easily fall prey to their worst impulses and become everything they claimed to despise, and that assuming you're in the right because you fought evil last time is a pretty solid road to hell. Feddie and Zeke are just labels, that can and should be ignored to find the real enemy.

With 0083, we get the slightly less relevant in day to day life message that Zeon will continue to be assholes no matter what

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Mask grows into a real monster by the end of his show (the Kabakali should not be an even match for the Perfect Pack, and yet...), and Harry is also very impressive. Graham may count too, when he's sane.

Harry Ord rose up from the bottom rung of society to become the Queen's right hand man, shot down an entire sky full of bombs without singing the planes, and beat the Turn A in a mass produced mobile suit.

Harry Ord isn't a Char clone. Harry Ord is the man Char is trying to imitate.

And that's ignoring his amazing fashion sense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Keep in mind the Leos have the specs to be protaganist suits in most other Gundam shows, so the Talgeese is like absurdly powerful by normal standards. Gundam's main difference is their armor plating, which doesn't matter as much if it's a one-sided fight.

First time I've heard that, to be honest.

I mean, mostly I've heard that Leos are made of tinfoil, C4, and prayers, but even beyond that, it doesn't really seem protagonist mech level.

Maybe UC? But unless you're talking the space type, it doesn't carry guns as good as a basic Zaku II, let alone the Gundam. And the Universal Century went on a crazy power curve. Even if the Leo could beat the Ground Gundam, the RX-79 would be a joke against the Zeta, let alone something like the Nu.

Wing is out for obvious reasons.

X... maybe, don't remember much about how tough that suit is, but they don't have the Satellite cannon.

00 Gundam has basically magic super robots for Celestial Being, so no.

Seed, no idea. Have doubts.

Age, again, no idea, but I'd bet against it even in the first generation, since the mooks there were even more useless than the Leo against their enemies, while the Gundam could tear through the same guys like they weren't there. And the basic guns for the Leo and the Genoace seem about even in quality.

The Turn A is the most powerful mobile suit in any Gundam series, so it could probably outperform a Leo..

As for G, I'm pretty sure that the protagonists could take out the Leo on foot.

Leos might not be as crappy as their reputation suggests, but most Gundams are pretty bullshit. Leos just don't have that bit of extra kick you expect in a main series mech.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

How was the CGI this time around? Are they still using the Battle of Loum as a framing device like the first film?

Did you ever see that 30th anniversary animated short that was on one of the PS3 games? It was the Battle of A Baoa Qu from the POV of a Zeon and a Feddie grunt suit. Amuro shows up for about twenty seconds and utterly wastes the Zeon pilot's entire squadron like they were nothing.

Well, elite grunts. The Zeon pilot has a Gelgoog, and the Feddie pilot is in a space command GM.

The best part was just before Amuro showed up, when a Guncannon just schools the guy in the Gelgoog. Charges in, springboards off his shield, blows up a Zaku II, and goes flying off to blow people up somewhere else without even getting scratched.

Unnamed Guncannon pilot is pretty badass for a dude with no lines.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

He was flying with Amuro. Had to be Kai. That's even the sort of silly stunt he'd pull.

It really is his kind of move, but the number doesn't match.

Kai flew Guncannon 108. The one in 081's opening was marked 203.

Apparently Guncannon pilots are just naturally prone to battlefield jackassery.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That reminds me.

In the Plot to Assassinate Gihren manga, don't they have a store selling Zeon model kits, with one of the best sellers being Zaku I models carrying gas grenades, primed and ready to murder civilians?

Because that seems like the kind of store that would have a colony drop tablet stand.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't want them doing the rest of The Origin if they can't do better than mid-budget CGI because seriously look at that fuckin' page and how good that art is.

I'm still kind of shocked by how, according to the little piece on his methods at the back of volume 5, Yoshikazu Yasuhiko didn't do any guide lines or roughs. Just started drawing directly.

I mean, The Origin was seriously good looking to begin with, but that's something else.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The Zaku Reuse (P) is pretty entertainingly weird and ugly, and will almost certainly come out now they're doing the Thunderbolt OVAs.

I think it came out already. That's the high mobility Zaku an excess of guns, right? I've seen it up on Amazon with free shipping.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Kai is basically death to everyone around him. All his friends and his lovers die.

Bright wisely tried to limit contact and Sayla got the hell out of dodge.

Bright survived being in the main cast for Zeta, double Zeta, and Char's Counterattack.

The man is a loving cockroach.

His dignity, on the other hand, will die in a light breeze.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Isn't Garma's issue that he just lacks the skill for his position? And not because of any personality flaws, he just simply wasn't that good of a strategist/fighter/whatever. I remember him actually acknowledging the nepotism that got him as far as he had before he died, and one of his big motivations is trying to prove he's good enough.

Garma's actually pretty good. He graduated first in his class, and it seemed like a competitive spot. (Would have been in second if Char hadn't mouthed off to... well, shorter to list who he didn't mouth off to, honestly.)

He just feels like he has to be the actual best to justify what he gets by default from being a Zabi, so he pushes himself too far, and then he fucks up. If a Zabi had to be in power, he's the only one who seems like he'd be okay at it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean, it's not as if Char is inherently a shitlord- it's beaten into him by decades and decades of horrible poo poo happening to him and everyone else. I'd have to know when that ending can pop and what the conditions are to really make a call on it- if it's end-of-MSG Char or later, gently caress no, but if it's fairly early, he'd probably be fine.

Well, Ral's still kicking around, so the divergence point has to be reasonably early in MSG. Early enough that Char's only somewhat an rear end-wipe if I had to guess.

And Zeta Char was in decline on the shitlord status. It's just, you know, he relapsed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Origin's art is like goddamn magic.

I thought it was really good... until they had the extra explaining how it was drawn.

At that point, yeah. I realized it was loving magic. No roughs! I mean, who does that?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Turn A is great stuff. You'll dig it.

It should be a nice change of pace, too. Even ignoring general tone differences, it'll more than make up for how poor a Char clone Asher was.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sorry, my bad thought it was that episode too.

Oh I didn't say how now.....he ate the last of the burgers, Bright airlocked him without a suit.

Bright Noa is truly the last sane man in the Earth Federation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oohhboy posted:

That is a pretty silly statement that you can't pin on Fukuda or anybody. MSG, Zeta, ZZ were almost black and white out of the gate.

MSG had Ramble Ral on the one end, and the Luna II crew on the other, both relatively early. Yes, the Federation was the good guys, and Zeon murdered half the human race, but the Feddies had their share of jackasses, and Zeon had their Rommel types. And yes, later Zeta did have the Titans try to outdo Zeon in the obviously evil department, but they also had their side be the good guys from the last war, and Bright Noa only defected once the series started.

It wasn't like the viewer went "Who is good and who is bad? I have no way of recognizing this in a cartoon made to sell toys to children!", but both shows went out of their way to establish that decent, mostly reasonable people could wind up on the wrong side of the war, and that, although the big picture right and wrong was clear, individual incidents could be much more ambiguous.

Except if Kai should be a snarky rear end in a top hat at someone. That's always the right thing to do.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Just finished the first episode of Thunderbolt. I never knew how much I needed jazz and robots. Do we know what rate the episodes are coming out?

We know the next one's in February. That's about it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

SEED mode isn't a Coordinator-only thing. Supposedly the reason that happened was to show that it wasn't just a Coordinator thing but it never got followed up on in Destiny and Destiny poo poo all over Cagalli so an explanation ain't happening.

To be fair in the main series Cagalli is literally the only major named pilot who isn't a Coordinator, Newtype or Boosted Man/Extended so it ain't like anyone else had a chance!

God, that's sad.

Edit: Although I guess to be fair it isn't like major oldtype pilots are a dime a dozen in any Gundam show not specifically about regular people but still.

It's stupid, and I've talked about it before, but I still love that the Gundam ace pilot variation books mentioning the top scoring ace of the one year war was... Some Guy.

Didn't really play politics, tried to not be a dick. No newtype powers, no fancy melee tricks, not even a custom paint job on any of his suits. He's like, the Anti-Char.

I like to think he opened a roofing business after the war. Maybe got second place in a model train competition.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah, he'd have started his own Rau Faction to fight another civil war in OZ/Romefeller and then done the same speech he did to Kira to Heero, except Heero would have shot back and it would have been beautiful.

Edit: Listen to his words (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOpN1r-C_CM, and don't watch the video, it's the most horrendous thing I've ever seen) and then imagine a three-way battle between him, Heero and crazy Zechs. :allears:

I think the most amazing result might be sending him against Mikazuki.

Someone like Loran might try to argue with him.

Mika would just shrug, stab him in the cockpit, and maybe think about it later.

I mean, his response to the standard "You like killing!" was "Huh. Maybe. But you need to die, so it's not like that's a bad thing here." before bisecting a dude.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

he's good at weaving in funny parts.

i think silly stuff only bothers most people when mood whiplash occurs. I need to read the rest of the origin. I like the part where Revil starts to give a speech and is bowled over by a squad of children.

It was even better than that, if I remember right. He ducked the first couple kids coming at him, didn't lose his composure...

Then he got bowled over by a squad of children.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I'm just posting examples of well done humor in Tomino shows

I love Turn A.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

I loving love MS Era for a lot of reasons, but as a photographer I love how well it captures the visual language of 60s-70s Era conflict photography without being directly referential of famous pieces.

I love how it casually mentions that Zeon aces claimed more kills than there were GMs produced.

It's a really nice little piece in so many ways.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kuvo posted:

But i thought Captain Quattro, he is a CHAR?

Well, so's Harry Ord, and he's not Char Aznable.

...As far as we know.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Watch Turn-A, which is still the best full-length Gundam series.

Loran is a really solid protagonist, too. He actually sells not killing people in a war without feeling like an idealistic idiot or a holier-than-thou prick.

Honestly, Loran's probably the most mature and responsible person ever to pilot a Gundam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Also, if I wiki Char how much will I spoil myself on this series? I don't mind spoiling other series since I have no way to watch them. He got mentioned in this episode and I remember seeing his name pop up quite frequently in the IBO thread.

OR

Could one of you give me a non-spoily breakdown of who he his?

You know McGillis?

There you go.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought Garma was supposed to be more of a jerk in Origins? I can't say, it's just what I've heard.

It's... complicated.

You see more of where he's coming from, and how he can be a good friend and a decent guy, how he wants to earn his place instead of getting it handed on a silver platter...

But you also see him participating in some pretty lovely stuff, and not questioning it for a second.

Honestly, in some ways Degwin (of all people) comes off best of the Zabis. He knows it's all gone wrong, but he just can't get out of the hell he made, no matter how he tries. (And he did try.) Meanwhile, Dozle has moments where he almost goes "Oh, gently caress. We're the baddies.", before going "Wait, no. We're the Zabis! We're a loving family of good guys. THIS IS ALL COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED."

Also, Ramble Ral is a Good Dude. But, that's kinda a gimmee.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

Wow, even for Gundam Thunderbolt, episode 3 was unrelentingly grim. :stonk:

Yep.

Poor kids clearly slept through Professor Augus's lectures on proper shot placement. A couple things bugged me, though.

1) Holy poo poo, Thunderbolt does not do well by its female characters. I'll gladly cede that the manga might do better, been meaning to read it, but in the animation, the two named women with significant roles are a scientist who seems to primarily exist to feel sad as Daryl's limbs get lopped off, and Claudia Peer, who... well. Where do I start? I'd trust pre-engagement Sochie Heim with a command position before I'd give her a tugboat, and I'd gladly follow Atra Mixtra into hell before I'd think about signing up for anything that involved working with Claudia.

She's portrayed as the most cliched Emotional Woman Who Can't Be Trusted To Make The Right Call I can imagine. When I first heard that Thunderbolt had the line "I WISH I COULD ORDER YOU TO DIE!", I assumed it was, you know, hatred. Like she's got a weird, complicated love/hate thing with Io, where she loathes him and needs him in equal measure, and as an officer, she has to keep her top ace alive while as a person she wants him dead and on fire. I can dig that. But no. It's just inability to Do Her drat Job, which Io, as a MAN, has to slap her out of.

gently caress's sake. She even gets addicted to Space Drugs to cope with the pain, because this is REAL and EDGY.

Then she gets killed for no purpose by one of her subordinates. Seriously, Thunderbolt. What the hell is wrong with you?

2)This one's much more minor, and much more My Issue, but I might as well mention it, while I'm here. I get the whole child-soldiers-sell-the-hell-of-war thing, but the Federation could probably invest their resources a bit better. Like, the Balls, I get. They're cheap, they only have to be a distraction, and they're easy to learn. Send a bunch of kids out in those, they'll perform admirably at their design goal of dying so important people can live, all for a bargain price. But they sent twenty GM Cannons and four Guncannons, all modified for the sector, and those are not the bargain basement Mobile Suit model. Hell, Guncannons are actually good. For what you spent on all of those suits, which accomplished basically jack/poo poo, you could have gotten a squad of vets an upgrade from basic GMs to Sniper Customs, or built another Gundam, or done something else that might have some payoff. You don't send expendable and untrained rookies out in expensive equipment. It doesn't help them, and it doesn't help you.

Nice animation, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

*Fat lips

This seems to be late in the war, so I'm not surprised to see kids. Half the human race has died after all, gotta conscript next years class. It's the same problem you see in WWII, which TB is cribbing from liberally. The production is finally up but experienced pilots are lacking from attrition. Zeon is putting maimed soldiers back to work and the feds are dropping kids into the grinder.

Eh.

One of the running things about the late war in Gundam stuff is how the Federation's finally building up this core of aces, where the guy in a GM is probably a veteran badass, despite his comparatively crap suit. Meanwhile, Zeon's got cutting edge wonder-weapons, but they're basically shoving whoever they can find into them, since their best tended to get sent after the White Base, and that... that is not what they should have done with their aces. The fancy new mobile suits get drowned in a tide of GMs and Balls, because the Federation still had decent pilots.

As for the thematic stuff, I can see how they might have been going for it, but it's hurt by the fact the kids aren't in fancy suits. They're in mass production models, same as we saw get wiped out to the last Jim in episode 1. You aren't getting a Katz or a Hatahway where the parallels to Amuro are played up before the big moment of "Oh, BTW, this is a loving WAR, KID. Welcome to hell." Instead, the kids are explicitly presented as meat for the grinder. Works for a WWII analogue, but it doesn't work at all for comparison to other Gundam shows, where the kid pilot is generally piloting something special.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Panzeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRD4QSjwXg

I think this clip has pretty much all the defining features of Gundam Wing.

Wow.

Even a Thunderbolt sector grunt has more dignity and a better chance to impact the course of a battle.

And yet, none of them seem to notice at any point just how hosed they are.

(Also, man that makes IBO combat look better. Old shows can keep their beam weapons. Give me fights with some loving weight.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm rewatching 0083 because it is drat pretty if poorly written. I can't help but feel that Keith would have been a better protagonist than Kou. For one thing he's not nearly as much of a wimp with a lovely haircut.

He also has better taste in women, and spends less time wrecking priceless prototype mobile suits.

Incidentally, all of these descriptors also apply to the Keith in Turn A.

Yes. A non-combatant who sells his mobile suit to afford a better bakery is a better protagonist for a mech combat anime than Kou. Dammit, Kou.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm not sure what I find funnier. The fedora/trilby head design, or the fact its main weapon is a switchblade knife.

The switchblade is goofier.

The fedora is funny, but it's just an aesthetic choice.

The switchblade completely goes against the standard IBO weapon setup. Normally, mobile suits get gently caress-off huge primary weapons because it's the only way to reliably score a kill against other mobile suits. Ridiculous durability and near-immunity to ranged weapons will do that. A switchblade means managing any kind of attack involves several seconds in an opponent's kill range without a chance of landing a counter. One is merely inherently aesthetically goofy, while the other involves future goofiness as well, assuming the Triaina doesn't get scratched off in its first fight about five seconds in.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

0080 and IBO are pretty much proof that action-light Gundam shows actually have the best action

(granted, one of 0080's two action scenes is soul-crushingly depressing, but the one you're talking about is badass and that GM guy is the best)

He's great, but he's clearly not a particularly good pilot. (If we're going for the best grunt pilot, my vote's for Guncannon 203, from the opening of Battlefield Record 081. Fucker zeroes in on a Gelgoog piloted by a named character, fucks it up a little with his vulcans, then jumps off the shield to kill a Zaku and persumably continue floating around the battlefield kicking rear end) He had a Z'gok E tumbling to the ground right in front of him, and he still didn't secure his second kill.

Looking at his actions, he's probably a rookie. Four man squad at a base that was never expecting any company. The war on Earth was pretty much down to mop-up. He and three of his buddies, they were glorified security guards, supplied with standard issue GMs since, hell. Federation had plenty to go around by then. Didn't even get a loving beam spray gun. Sure, fine. They're guarding supplies that could be the secret weapon to win the war. But, hell. It's December. There's been dozens of weapons that would win the war, and most of them were bullshit. Not much to do but smoke, make dirty jokes, and wait for Zack to blow up the Earth or die.

Then, out of nowhere, they get an squad of Zeon pilots coming in, piloting mobile suits nobody's seen before. Squad leader's rifle gets shot out from under him, and his own gun blows his brains all over the cockpit. The guard in the tunnels goes dark, who knows what happened to him. And our hero sees a friend's suit get grabbed as a shield by one of the Zack pilots. He stops firing so he won't hit his pal, and it turns out the drat thing has integrated beam cannons. He ducks back, tries to regroup, and gets to hear his helpless best friend get melted.

At this point, he has to realize he's hosed. Four hostile suits. One of him. They're elites in cutting edge gear. He's a barely trained rear end in a top hat in a mass production jobbie that's less equipped to fight armor than a loving mobile coffin. The smart thing to do would be to bail. Ditch the suit, surrender, and hope your new guests honor the antarctic treaty.

But nobody accused our man of being smart. Brave, maybe. But not smart. He hauls rear end for the launch site, because right now, he's the only hope those guys have. Another blue mobile suit pops out, same gear as killed his buddies. It aims at the shuttle.

Three more hostiles around, and our man isn't exactly Ray or Jung. Just some rookie in the wrong place at the wrong time. All he can do is lay down covering fire, and hope it's enough.

This once, it is. He manages to get a kill before he dies. And the last thing he sees is the rocket taking off with the cargo that he lets himself believe, for the first and last time, will save the Federation and win the war.

Poor dumb bastard.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

the first chapter of the ibo sidestory manga's been translated http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kidou-senshi-gundam-tekketsu-no-orphans-gekkou-r18729

So, how many seconds would it take Mikazuki to kill everything in this?

Fifteen?

Seriously, the kid looks like even more of a loving monster of a pilot when compared to these guys. Guess that there's going to be a lot more of a chump-to-ace-pilot arc with this than in the show, where Mika was a killing machine from the jump.

Also, it's hilarious that the first enemy mobile suit has, in addition to a switchblade, a loving giant pistol.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Artum posted:

It's funny that Thunderbolt still feels kind of weird for introducing two things that the UC was strange for not having; religion and nationalism(by people other than Zeon).

It was interesting in War in the Pocket (at bare minimum in the dub) that they had Al pray in a pretty standard "Kid begging God for a favor" way.

I mean, if the UC wasn't so low on religious references most of the time, it would be the most natural thing in the world, but as is, it kinda stands out.

Stands out more since the Unicorn novels, in their little "You know, if you think about it, ZEON was the good guys." crusade, has the Federation attempt to stamp out religion for... reasons.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Some of the problems I have with Turn A is the comedy. Outside of crossdressing and the confusion that came with it, it wasn't funny nor clever. When your standard reaction to a joke becomes :ughh: because it doesn't rise above football to the groin. What other comedy that does rise above this is unintentional and tend to be based on cultural oddities like Harry's glasses, that sweater or the dark comedy of retro tech where people just keep getting killed because great plan guys, your Elan will give you the strength to die! Tomino is bad at comedy, he should let someone else do it.

Considering that I'm arguing comedy with someone who thinks using a picard emoticon in mid sentence is clever, I know I'm facing an uphill battle, but I figure I should at least try.

1) Harry's glasses and sweater clearly are intentional comedy. Putting the slick, badass ace mobile suit pilot in the least fashionable clothing of all time doesn't happen by accident. I mean, just compare it to other Moonrace clothing. Even though some of it is pretty crazy looking, none of it clashes as much as Harry's casualwear, and that's by design.

2) The retrotech stuff is also clearly meant to be funny most of the time, in a dark humor way. It's part of the central theme of the show that pretty much nobody (other than Harry Ord) knows how the hell to fight a war when the series starts, but they're getting into it anyway as part of the dark legacy of mankind. It's a comedy of errors that sometimes turns into tragedy, because holy gently caress, these idiots just blew up hundreds of people.

3) A lot of the comedy is built off the characters. Like Loran and Gavan having a duel? You have the setup of Gavan being this bombastic would be dashing ace pilot who wants to settle things LIKE MEN, and Loran goes along with it since Loran is a guy who tends to go with the flow...

And then someone comes along and points out how loving stupid this is, which is funny partially because the characters took things so seriously.

4) Football to the groin is inherently funny. Like, that's comedy 101.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I know it's kind of a side note at this point, but on the whole Tomino/not Tomino thing, I feel like it's at least worth giving a mention to the first non-Tomino Gundam anime. Good old War in the Pocket.

Finally got around to seeing it, and everyone is right. It is, in fact, great.

Something that kind of stands out, though, is how it feels anti-war working from basically the opposite positions as compared to Thunderbolt. (The OVAs, at least. I haven't read the manga, so some points may be different there)

Thunderbolt doesn't have a single character outside the military in the present day. Everyone's trying to kill the hell out of either the Zekes or the Feddies, day in day out. The pirate radio station is an exception in the early part of the manga, but the anime cuts it. There's no-one outside of the war.

080 has a heavy focus on civilians. Sure, there's Chris on one side and Cyclops Team on the other, but mostly it's about how the war comes home for Al, a kid who doesn't know poo poo about real combat. This isn't payback for some past damage. This is innocent people caught between forces they had no way of stopping.

Thunderbolt's Gundam pilot is a combat addict. He's brash, he's kind of an rear end in a top hat, he gets his whole squad killed and walks it off. Io's not a guy you want to spend time around.

Meanwhile, 080's got Chris, who's pretty much the first person the Feds would want on a recruiting poster. She's friendly, likable, and pretty. She's in the fight to keep her home and family safe, and she's good at her job, but mostly she thinks of it as a data entry position. She honestly believes she's doing the right thing, and is willing to put her life in more risk to avoid harm coming to innocent people, even against orders. (The argument with the detective is interesting in that context)

Most of Thunderbolt's Zeon forces are fanatics in the end, willing to blow themselves up to kill a few more Feddies, even with the cavalry on the horizon.

Over in the older OVA, while Zeon as a faction is portrayed in a negative light (Colonel Killing states he's acting on Gihren's orders, and he's king of the assholes), most of the Zeon characters are decent, regular guys. Captain Hardy puts his life on the line to save an innocent colony, even though he could just duck out until the war ends and make it out alive. He also repeatedly takes measures to minimize violence against civilians in completing his objectives. Several other Zeon officers are shocked and appalled by Killing's whole nuclear mass murder plan, and Bernie Wiseman's... Bernie Wiseman. If he's not the hero of the piece, he's the emergency backup. A regular guy in over his head, doing his best, even when he knows he's screwed.

Summed up, it felt like Thunderbolt, to the extent it was anti-war, basically centered around the idea that war makes people monsters. War is the place you find Bad People. 080 was about how war was where good people had lovely, lovely things happen to them.

Interesting.

(Especially with how, although the actions within War in the Pocket were largely futile, it didn't portray war-in-general as a pointless thing. Mobile suits were described as a necessary evil. Cyclops team fought with millions of lives on the line, even if it turned out the line was somewhere else. Bernie talked about how Al shouldn't hate the Gundam pilot for doing a job, even though he thought that it was just some random schmuck instead of the woman he had a crush on.

War in the Pocket seemed to treat war as something to be avoided if at all possible, while acknowledging that sometimes it's impossible. Which, of course, just makes things a little bit more tragic.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did you confuse Daryl (the quadruple amputee Zeon guy who is nice) with Io (the murderous rear end in a top hat Gundam pilot)?

I don't think he did.

I'm 80% sure this is another installment of oohhboy has weird opinions theater. Less weird than some, I suppose, since "Zeon is bad" is a pretty decent start location for opinions, but, you know. Of the characters on Thunderbolt, Daryl's not much of an rear end in a top hat.

Also, a character being unlikable isn't inherently bad (for a non-giant-robot example, everyone in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), but it's generally not a good thing when the primary thing you want from a character is them to just be gone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I am so loving sick of Bearguy mods as the obligatory cute one. I think it was the Build Fighter manga that had an Asshimar with a cat mod that was pretty great, and I'd love to see them use new suits as a base for cute mods. The Zock and Kapool could surely have something done for one.

The problem is that it's impossible to make the Kapool cuter.

That's just science.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The only value in Katz was that his death provided one of the series gut punches in ZZ, when Hayato is shown his room well after his death. I'm like "Oooooh yeah!" and then "oooooooh. Yeah....." and then I'm like "loving Katz ruins everything, the rear end in a top hat" as Hayato cries.:smith:

Man, it sucks to be Hayato.

I mean, Amuro becomes THE pilot, for good and ill. Basically a living legend. Yeah, in the end (and the middle. And the beginning) it ruined his life, but it was something.

Kai became a globetrotting superspy reporter and all around cool dude, and outlived the other initial White base pilots by a substantial amount.

Bright and Mirai managed to keep their marriage together, despite several near misses, and proved Bright has cockroach somewhere in his DNA, considering he survived Zeta, ZZ, AND Char's Counterattack, all in a reasonably prominent role.

Sayla had the sense to just blow everything off and sit by a pool somewhere.

And Hayato... married Fraw, who liked Amuro more than him, lost his adopted son to war, and then died before his kid was born, failing to evacuate civilians as he saw the Federation he fought for allow millions to die for, basically, no good reason.

Geesh. At least Ryu got to accomplish something when he bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Shiro is pretty odd as far as Gundam protagonists go. He's extremely...normal for one thing. Most Gundam MCs are very special for one reason or another.

I liked him and the rest of his team for this reason. They were just normal soldiers, not psychic badasses. You can keep your Bright Slap, give me Karen kicking the one guy in the balls.

I still say Chris is the biggest outlier for the main Gundam pilot in a series. She's a professional in her early 20s, she's level headed and friendly from the start, she's competent as a pilot without being The Best Ever, both her parents are alive and on quite good terms with her...

Seriously, for a mech pilot, the woman's a total freakshow.