Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Next week Sunrise is doing a livestream presentation to celebrate Gundam's 40th anniversary

http://gundam40th.net/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kanos posted:

The OYW is baked into Gundam's DNA, and for better or for worse, will always define the franchise.

Only really UC Gundam. A lot of Gundam shows have gotten away from the OYW or OYW type conflict. G Gundam, G-Reco, all three seasons of Build Fighters, etc.

It's just if they're doing a show set in the Universal Century, people are gonna want to see Zakus

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kanos posted:

Basically every AU Gundam series draws huge amounts of influences and ideas from UC and the OYW. You have your really obvious ones, like Zechs going through three series of Char's story arc in one show, or the entire setting of Gundam X being built around something nearly identical to the OYW happening. You also have your less blatant ones, like G Gundam drawing heavily on some of UC's environmentalist overtones, or the relationship of McGillis and Gaelio in IBO being basically a reimagining of Char and Garma's relationship. Build Fighters itself has a unique story but the entire show is built on the bones of franchise love and wouldn't really exist without it.

It's not a bad thing but it's just a truism that every Gundam product at some point traces its lineage back to 1979 and the OYW.

But environmentalism and Char and Garma's relationship aren't part of the sci-fi reimagining of WW2. Which is Wark Say's original complaint, that too many shows in the UC are stuck in the One Year War

Wark Say posted:

I know it's futile, and it might read crazy, because I feel that UC-related media will always, in one way or another, either center around a conflict during or employ a framework similar to the One Year War because how the hell do you get away from something as massively popular and important to Gundam...?

... but at the same time, I really kinda wish that whichever Bandai producers get to veto Gundam-related stuff would just go "Okay, enough. No more OYW/stuff based on WWII for a while".

So yeah, all Gundam shows trace their lineage back to original Gundam, hell, plenty of non-Gundam mecha series can trace their lineage back to Gundam too. But the One Year War specifically is not inextricably linked to the franchise. As evidenced by the fact that a good number of Gundam shows don't have anything like the OYW in them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kanos posted:

The desolation of Earth caused by the conflict and Char and Garma's relationship are kind of pivotal plot points in the OYW. Like there's a whole arc devoted to massive trains of human refugees where Amuro meets his mom and at one point the White Base has to stop off because they can't find a supply of salt, of all things.

Since the original MSG was about the One Year War, every thing in it is part of the One Year War. But if another show takes an event, a theme, a character, whatever, from MSG and then uses it in a different context, it's not still part of the One Year War.

Wark Say was complaining about the One Year War, specifically. That so many Gundam shows are either set in it or are more WWII in space. They specifically called out the the second season of Thunderbolt as a positive change because it's about a different and new political situation arising after the One Year War.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NikkolasKing posted:

Also did anybody post this? Some Gundam series is getting dubbed:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2018-11-17/gundam-nt-anime-gets-english-dub/.139648

I've never heard of it.

Of course I still need to watch Iron Blooded Orphans and Thunderbolt....

It's an upcoming movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukp1iNI6M0Q

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Monaghan posted:

Japanese weird pricing is mostly limited it to it's anime, at least with respect to Gundam. Gunpla is actually reasonably priced in Japan in comparison to other toys/models of the same range.

I think Bandai was afraid of expanding more aggressively in the states as they tried that in the early 2000's but completely over saturated the market. They'll likely take their time in expanding the market. Their are signs that they are thinking about it though. Now all newer kits have english instructions with them and from what I remember reading they made a good amount of money from the states in IBO model sales.

There's also the issue of where do they expand? Their partnership with Rightstuf is working at a pretty good clip towards getting all Gundam series on bluray in America. And there's a ton of Gundam available on the Gundamofficial Youtube channel. It seems like most comic shops sell Gundam models, and Barnes and Noble carries Gundam models at most of their locations. I'd certainly like to see Barnes and Noble carry a wider range of Gundam models, but I assume that mainly up to Barnes and Noble, not Bandai.

The real criticism I have is how few Gundam manga series get US releases. Since Tokyopop collapsed there's only been three Gundam manga released here. But I think maybe the blame for that lies at least a little on me, I didn't buy the Origin manga because they were thirty dollars a volume.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm concerned that a G-Reco compilation movie will be somewhat jumbled and difficult to follow

Solkanar512 posted:

No post disaster material after teasing those shots? Laaaaaaaaaaame.

there's whatever this is?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The Zaku owned the feddies for the entirety of the OYW until they simply out produced them. Guys piloting them deep into the 0080s clown on Fed Suits in almost every series. A Bao A Qu is literally Zeon being out numbered and the GMs finally getting beam pistol/rifles that out gun them.

And uhh having just watched Origin, there is not a single scene where the GMs get the upper hand, the first Fed MS on the Moon get absolutely torn apart by the Zaku 1. The Zaku 2 is a suit that carries longevity until almost Zeta.

What are you talking about?

The GM was a significantly superior suit to the Zaku, but Zeon pilots were massively more experienced than Federation pilots. When the Federation started mass producing GMs, they made them faster than they could train pilots. as shown in Thunderbolt, when they had teens piloting GMs. Meanwhile, Zeon pilots had been piloting MS through the entire war.

It's actually shown in the Origin scene you reference. The point of that scene wasn't "Zeon suits are better than Federation suits", it showed off the result of Zeon committing to MS years beforehand and having highly skilled pilots.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Argas posted:

It's an uncredited role. I swear the guy who voices dubbed Sergei Smirnov is Septum though.

I thought Duo's voice actor did Septum?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Until I saw that poster I had never really thought about the fact that none of the major characters in 00 are Japanese

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The voice actor who played Kai collects Guncannons

https://twitter.com/TOSHIO_FURUKAWA/status/1077183706836549632

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What if the RahXephon was an Astray?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How many different Astrays and Astray variants are there now?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm sure I missed some, but I counted Red, Blue, Green, Gold, Mirage, Out, and Delta frames. The number of variations averages to four frame, counting the base.

Plus the mass production Astray and the Build Fighters variants

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drat, Spinner Rodi looking badass

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, it should have been a Demon from the Ars Goetia to continue with Barbatos and such. This means it's probably not one of the original 72 Gundams.

If Venus is where criminals are exiled, and the Gundam has been passed down generation from generation, maybe it is one of the original 72 but the name has been changed to hide it's history? Like, it belonged to one of the original Gundam pilots but who was exiled by the 7 Stars for some kind of political reason?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hope we get an HG of that new Rodi variant, at least.

Isn't it just the Spinner Rodi with different colors?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tickets for NT are now available!

But drat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Midjack posted:

The theater listing had it dubbed. Sometimes they get it wrong though.

In other news: Anaheim Electronics still dirtbags.

They spent that money building a secret full size robot for Kotobukiya

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Did anybody watch Zoids Wild?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kurieg posted:

And then the Movie hurtled off the rails into nonsense land.

I really liked the Gundam 00 movie. On an unrelated note, I believe Maximum Overdrive is the greatest movie ever made.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Hiz8fEkws

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hey, it turns out we had a Gundam fan in the White House!

https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/302491904707272704

The holocaust centers guy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I like the Astray with the big hat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Raxivace posted:

Is Astray any good?

Or at least good compared to SEED and Destiny?

I only read the first bit, but the main guy wants a sword for his Gundam, so he finds this meteor made of alien metal and takes it to a swordsmith and tells him to make a sword out of it. The swordsmith asks how big he wants it, and the guy insists that he just use all of the metal, as big as possible. The end result is a sword that is as big to the Gundam as a full size katana would be to a MG gundam kit. So he makes giants arms to put on his Gundam so it can hold the sword

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, there was actually a lot of stuff I liked. Michelle was a really good character. The Jesta team was great. There were a lot of Jestas. The action and music were good.

But there were two huge problems

First off, two of the three main characters were absolutely nothing. Rita was literally just a thing to be chased after. At first I thought her voice actor was doing a bad job, just breathy innocent perfection, but by the end I realized that year no there is literally nothing more to Rita. Trying to inject any kind of character into that voice would've been an incorrect interpretation of the character. Which leads into the next nothing character, Jona. Who is Jona? He is the guy who likes Rita. That's it, that's all you get. And since Rita isn't a person, that's not much.

The second problem is the entire construction of the movie. Pacing, editing, what they chose to keep in and leave out from the novel. How the flashbacks are placed throughout the movie is just a loving mess. The movie is about these three characters, but the history of them that motivates the entire plot is hacked to bits and randomly strewn throughout the entire running time of the movie. The final fight is interrupted by a flashback showing how the three necklaces got made. Which is important, that's an important metaphor, but by that point in the movie we've loving seen the necklaces so often that we've all basically pieced the concept together. The necklaces are part of a thing and they used to be together but now they're apart like the characters, we get it. So at that point the scene is just wasting time, explaining something we've already had to figure out for ourselves.
Why Jona calls Michelle a liar is super important! It's why there's tension between them, it should've been introduced way earlier, like before or shortly after they meet up again. They could hold off on why Michelle did what she did, that would be fine, but the fact of their split needed to be established way earlier to give their later relationship context. But instead it's just a big infodump, the longest flashback in the whole movie, explaining that they split up and why and it's almost two thirds of the way through the movie, way too late.
I haven't read the novel, but I can make assumptions on what they left out based on vestigial parts of plotlines leftover. Specifically, the movie has the end of two important relationship plotlines for Michelle. Her relationship with her sister and with her gay manservant. Those are clearly two really important relationships but we don't know about them until their resolution! Oh, her gay manservant is completely loyal to her. To an extent that surprises her. Ok? It's just kind of a floating fact, unattached to anything that could give it emotional resonance.
But the worst thing is her relationship with her sister. It's basically introduced literally at the same time that the conflict is resolved. I don't think they had any dialogue or shared any screentime at all before that. Maybe I'm wrong. I do remember her mentioning a sister beforehand, but I don't think the movie actually said that her sister was that blonde lady. Maybe it did, somewhere in the beginning when it was going super fast throwing characters and plot points and Unicorn tie-ins at me as fast as possible, but I don't remember it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vord posted:

I think she was the woman from Luio & Co from the Hong Kong arc in Zeta.

I haven't seen Zeta in years, I don't remember her being in there

TenementFunster posted:

i feel bad for anyone who watched this without seeing most everything from UC timeline

or without having seen everything from the UC timeline recently, apparently

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TenementFunster posted:

i let out a lil' woot when they had the flashback to Scirocco getting got

I hated that they actually used the old animation for that stuff. That made it feel like a super blatant attempt to hit viewer's nostalgia

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The more I think about it, the more I like Michelle's story. She's got two families and feels like she betrayed both so she thinks that catching the Phenex will let her make it up to both of them at the same time. That works really well as the driving impetus of the story
It's really frustrating that the movie didn't have any scenes setting up her relationship with the Luios, just like one scene where she meets and talks to her sister and her gay manservant would've drastically improved the movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shinjobi posted:

A movie/series about Anaheim would only be worth it if it's about the company finally imploding on itself. I wanna see those bastards fall

The Smartest Guys In The Room but with robot fights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w6duQhWuVk

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ManSedan posted:

So what happens in NT

A newtype ghost takes control of the Phenex and just kinda flies around for awhile. A couple people who were close with the Newtype when she was alive join the hunt for the Phenex in order to reconnect with her and also get the secret to living after death as a Newtype ghost in a Gundam. In the end a bad guy tries to use a second Neo Zeong to do a super duper colony drop, the Newtype ghost and her two alive friends join up to stop him, and everybody decides that this Newtype poo poo is too dangerous, so they're just not gonna do it anymore

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

New Gundam series announced!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjI8sOUeRNI

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ka0 posted:

The way Bandai has handled Wing is nothing short of shameful. It's certainly up there with the big fat popular franchises, and we've only just recently started getting grunt gunpla kits and no other media save for a side cameo ala Build Fighters. I wish I could grab the whole board of directors and throw them off a airplane midflight with the chairs and table attached.

In fairness, there's also the long running novel and manga series

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Origin is getting the Re:0096 treatment

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I liked the Re:0096 OP

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Acguy: 2250 Miles Across North America is good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Zudah would be fantastic if the writers realized that a failed prototype that keeps exploding but the company that makes it keeps insisting it's good and getting people killed is wonderful satiric black comedy, not a tale of heroic sacrifice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

HitTheTargets posted:

Jesus. Imagine if they make a Gundam game that's based on Dragonball Xenoverse. Can the Turn A Gundam and the Create-A-Gundam preserve the timeline by stopping Cybernewtype Ramba Ral from destroying the White Base?

I want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Looks like a writer's been confirmed for the live action Gundam movie

So I am really unfamiliar with this guy's works. Is this a good or bad decision? One of the other places I hang out thinks it means the movie will be worse than G-Savior.

According to Wikipedia, he was the showrunner and executive producer of Under The Dome. Which was shockingly bad.