Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

Tigers wouldn't be competitive again for years if ever.

Send them over to the SEC east, they'd get at least one conference win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're already in the SEC East and have won the Division, twice in three years.

:ughh:

That was even one of our only two conference wins this year too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

If the withdrawal of subsidies was really due to Obamacare, why does that fall on the university? And how does a university begin to follow up on 'some guy yelled something at me from a car'?

If the withdrawal of subsidies was due to Obamacare it was because the insurance was so lovely that it did not qualify as insurance under Obamacare.

As for the "some guy yelled something at me from a car" its more that there is a culture of racism and the school's administration taking a bit of a laissez faire attitude about it. The problem is cultural and the only way to change that is to be very strict, vocal and for the administration to get out ahead of the issue. Racism needs to be seen as something shameful, not something you pay some lip service to whenever something gets too much media attention.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amergin posted:

Expelling racist students is laissez faire?

Only expelling students when theres media attention is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amergin posted:

Furthermore how exactly do you get "ahead" of the situation?

Well you could start with having a "this is racism, don't be racist" message along with the "this is rape, don't rape people" messages everywhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, if this is a tragic repeated failure of messaging, I feel a bit bad for the guy - on the other hand, messaging is a pretty big part of being a university president, so even if we give him the benefit of the doubt on his statements and his clunky bureaucratic responses to endemic racial issues, he still needs to up his game.

I'm not sure it's exactly a firing offense, but I also don't see him exactly being a professional pariah. If nothing else, he fell on his sword to protect the functioning of the institution and its football money. :911:

Is unilaterally decreasing every graduate student's aid package immediately before the semester started just a messaging issue too?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Has SEC football been destroyed yet, inshallah?

Missouri and Kentucky are terrible but thats not enough to destroy the SEC east.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A university president's job is to pander. All that nitty gritty stuff is done by the provost.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

The fewer people watch, the better for Hillary's opponents, since she's good at debating.

Was it Hillary that stood in for Palin during Biden's debate practice?

I'm assuming theres no video because it'd have been leaked by now but that must have been amazing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

lol are you implying that the journalists here have been assaulted?

No, I don't believe in assaulting paprazzi, so it's great that nobody was assaulted.

I do agree with treating paprazzi like the scum of the earth, though, so why's everyone coming out against the protesters unless they believe they don't deserve the same consideration as movie stars?

Yes, he was "assaulted"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"Teaching associate professor" huh. Is that what mizzou calls non tenure track lecturers to make them feel better about being paid $30k/year?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

I always wondered about this. I mean obviously hearing protection is a no brainer when you're training and what not, but how does it work in an active combat situation? It seems like wearing sufficiently effective hearing protection could cause you to miss stuff you actually need to hear, like someone giving orders.

Well according to the documentary tv series Archer tinnitus seems like an impediment to hearing orders.

(That kind of hearing damage is 100% a real thing)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought they were doing a race reversed casting like Patrick Stewart's Othello which... actually wouldn't have been any better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

Kentucky voting for a Republican governor wasn't exactly an unexpected outcome. Disappointing, yes, but not unexpected.

Actually it was rather unexpected.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obama, and Clinton as a member of his administration, say "Jihadist Islam" which is confusing to me. If you can say "Jihadist Islam" why not "Radical Islam"? If you're afraid of saying you're at war with Islamic fundamentalist countries like Saudi Arabia or Iran then wouldn't "Jihadist" be as bad as "Radical"?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shageletic posted:

This whole thing is ridiculously useless, but the key difference is that what might be construed from "radical Islam" is that involves "fundamentalist" Muslims, which I suppose might refer to Salafism, the majority of whom (at least their most well-known proponents) tack to a firm non-involvment in political matters. Its a belief system.

"JIhadist Islam" might be construed (might, because its largely a non-sensical term that has been thrown at a criminal enterprise) as involving action.

"Radical Islam" is also kinda meaningless because its in English and you could say it applies to anything. Like Obama could say that we are at war with "Radical Islam" and then praise our Wahhabi allies in Saudi Arabia or something.

Its also curious that the people that we'd be concerned about pissing off with "Radical Islam" are those friendliest to the Republican party. Or is that just the Bush family?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Uh, isn't Global Entry just where you fork over cash to get to go into the fast line at the airport?

Well, if you mean fork over cash, your finger prints and have an interview with a CBP officer then yes.

Global Entry is not available to French citizens, however it is available to Mexicans.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

Also exempted will be members of SkyPriorityŽ from Delta Airlines.

Thats the TSA fast line you're thinking of. Even then, you have TSA Pre and normal TSA and then potentially "elite" versions of both.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe it's the 6% loving with polls demographic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

At the end of the day: it's Louisiana.

It's probably the same people anyways.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Gotta say, I love that 6%.

Any goon that would not answer "more likely" should ban themselves tbh.

I mean, it's not running a troll republican campaign, but you have to start somewhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

I don't think you're allowed to challenge the POTUS to a duel Mr. Cruz.

Yeah thats the VP's job

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is america.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Perestroika posted:

So... he's basically advocating total, unrestricted, eternal war?

Isn't Obama saying AUMF 2002 counts against ISIS?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fade5 posted:

Isn't Congress amazing? No, not amazing, nightmarish.:suicide:

Seriously it's amazing how hosed up this is. Obama has specifically said he's not sure that the 2001 AUMF gives him the legality to attack ISIL, and so he tried to do things "the right way" and have Congress pass a new AMUF specifically for fighting ISIL. Congress refused.

So now we're using a bill that Authorizes the Use of Military Force against Al-Qaeda to attack a group that is not Al-Qaeda, and is in fact fighting with Al-Qaeda in Syria right now. The only reason this isn't more of an issue is because everybody hates ISIL.

Thats why I said the AUMF 2002, which authorized war against Iraq. Conveniently ISIS claims to be Iraq so we're good to go!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I mean what's a few JDAMs and hellfires between friends?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

You don't remember "Nuke Mecca"?

Bush wasn't saying "Nuke Mecca" - In fact he was saying that we're not at war with Islam and that most muslims are our friends, etc.

Also to not be afraid to go shopping.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

This is the greatest thread title. Probably the best. I've seen other thread titles, I'm friends with them, but let's face it, they're a total disaster.

bqhatevwr?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

Someone please come back into the thread and tell everyone that he won't be the nominee. I need this. :ohdear:

Don't worry, I'm sure the NSA already had that database.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If Hillary dies, sure.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lessail posted:

i mean he doesn't seem to be the one continually discounting what the polls are saying right now and looking at other measures to disprove them

You don't need to "unskew" the polls right now to say that Trump looks like a lot of candidates that polled quite high in November/December but still crashed and burned either before voting started or after IA/NH.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maarek posted:

she said terrorists attacked Wall Street on 9/11

Wall St is 4 blocks away from WTC, politifact rates this as half true.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzstaffel

People would unironically jump at the chance to join the Trumpstaffel.

Italy, Germany, whats the difference?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the_paradigm_shift posted:

C'mon, in the post-fact partisan world you're just going to divide into your camps anyways. Arguing that they picked bad optics when the loving optics are WE MATTER TOO is uh.. dumb and exactly the spin the right wanted so that they don't have to pretend the issues matter. It's a lost cause no matter what so why not try for the biggest bang.

Ah but the hashtag is "blacklivesmatter " not "blacklivesmattertoo" therefore...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

If you don't know enough to understand that hashtag black lives matter is not inherently saying that hashtag black lives matter more than hashtag white lives then you probably would not exactly be swayed to their cause by a name change.

The only problem is that the "white moderate" looks at the name and thinks "well, yeah, duh?" and nothing else.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Many gluten-free alternatives, particularly rice and corn, are high GI and thus not any better for diabetics than wheat.

I second SNAP pizza. Making it easier for low-income people to get prepared food in general would be a big help. If the crust and cheese layers are reasonably thin and there are some veggies on top pizza's way better nutritionally than most current choices.

Take and bake or frozen can be bought with snap. I don't understand how papa Murphys exists otherwise
http://www.papamurphys.com/faqs/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Running against Trump = treating him unfairly.

I figured he'd save the "unfair treatment" card for the inevitable delegate trickery but I guess he wants to start early.

A former RNC communications director is heading up a new company founded solely to go after Trump. That's more than enough evidence of a conspiracy by Trump standards.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

The link I posted says something about departments rejecting candidates. You can quibble about just HOW SMART a 120 IQ is (not smart enough to call someone intelligent unless we're just handing that adjective out), but departments commonly reject candidates who are too intelligent. This is not something hollismason made up, it's something that the departments themselves seem totally fine with.

This is something tiny suburban or rural departments do. It's because they know someone that is overqualified for the position will use it to get the training and spend long enough to jump ahead of the off the street line at an urban department. Next they try to get into a detective position, spend the 5 or 10 years there (I forget) that's minimum for FBI special agent hiring, spend 20 years there and retire with a good pension at 50ish.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Well they certainly can't do something like offer better pay/benefits to keep smart and capable people there. Better just get lower quality guys and make sure the FOP spokesman is shameless enough to lie repeatedly and victim blame when a cop does something horrific.

We're talking about a city of 20,000; policing it is probably boring as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SedanChair posted:

I don't use it to mean intelligent. Hitler and Trump are excellent examples of cunning. They are capable of manipulating people and situations to achieve some measure of personal success, but they are in way over their heads when it comes to serious matters.

That's charisma.

• Locked thread