Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
I'm poo pooposting in a legendary thread.

I'm kind of down on Standard right now. I've been the one man hype train for standard at my LGS for the last year, but I can't seem to find anything engaging about this current standard. I've spent a while thinking about it and what I've come up with is that the mana is too good. Standard is engaging in a metagame sense because of the limitations on deckbuilding. You only have 2 blocks worth of cards to work with and your mana is poor but workable. Those are the constraints, and you have to come up with a complex and robust gameplan within those constraints. Right now you can literally jam all the good cards you think will work together into the same deck and the mana will work itself out. Even if it works itself out poorer than other formats, it's still about as consistent and workable than Standard has always been. So the mana, by Standard's standards, is akin to Modern.

I like Modern because you can essentially come up with a plan with some powerful synergies and cards, and as long as you don't ask for the moon, the mana will take care of itself. That, along with the walled garden WOTC creates, developed into a complex and varied metagame where a player can choose a type of strategy they like to play and have, maybe not tier 1, but at least a not-poo poo option in that strategy. Very cool.

So why don't I like this current Standard? It's Modern with a lovely card pool. You get to play what you want, but those options aren't as interesting as the options you get in Modern, and the answers decks have to each other aren't as diverse. This is purely subjective and I'm sure once the mana has deadened out more I'll be back to Mr. Positivity about Standard, but it surprised me that as Standard got more powerful, I lost interest in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Serperoth posted:

ChannelFireball didn't have any issues showing all the rounds, and that was Legacy. There's, what, 2500 people there? Can't they find 2-3 folks who aren't going to forget their Splinter Twin sequence or something?

If CFB didn't show those first few rounds, we wouldn't have ever been blessed with WastelandKarl. Do the brave thing Wizards. Show us the jank.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Did Hoglund have triple red for Kiki at the end there? Didn't look like it...

Wall of Roots, Bird, and a red land.

I want to build that as my first modern deck. It looks like something you can stick with for a while and just develop a good skill set.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ok that explains it, it was pretty obscured.

The entire deck is play lines obscured. Sometimes I think it just gets wins because the opponent can't see one of the 5 lines available to Hoogland (or Hoogland stand-in).

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

playground tough posted:

I just pulled a Sunken Ruins and foil Kozilek, The Great Distortion in my fat pack. As a player who started at BFZ pre release without a large collection, what is the best way to maximize the value I can get from these cards? Should I wait for pro tour or something to see if anything spikes? Hang on to the expedition for a while? Set up pucatrade or what? Also I have the R/G landfall t1 deck, does ogw really affect this deck in standard?

You can hold or trade away Kozilek any time you'd like. I don't see that as being something to act on now. As someone who also opened a Sunken Ruins yesterday, my advice is GET RID OF IT. NOW. Trade it or get it into a local card shop. It sees play, but it's gonna tank from the $100 price tag its at right now. (I see TCG is already sub-80) I got $52 in credit from my LGS for it and I consider that a good deal for me. Unless you plan to use it or to hold onto it for 3+ years, just dump it quick, while everyone's looking for them.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Alright. I need to build 2 Standard decks for this weekend, but I only have 1 set of each fetchland. What are two competitve decks that don't overlap on the fetches? I was thinking of UR Prowesss and maybe the GR Ramp deck, but I lack Cosi's Return for the latter. The UR Prowess uses Mire and Delta to get respective colors and cross over with Sunken Hollow and Smoldering Marsh. I'm not even sure the ramp deck plays fetches. Is there anything else being played to any success that doesn't use, like, 12 fetches?

Oh yeah, where the hell did GW or Bant megamorph go? Was it just Dark Jeskai that hated it out of the format?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Sickening posted:

Seriously, i had no idea how much poo poo you can get in for this. The store owner just sent me a fb message practically begging me to recant my statement. I just assumed email to wotc would be waste of time and only would have mattered if they were reported multiple times. I kind of feel bad now.

I have a little sympathy for a store owner with regulars and low turn out. But the solution to his problem here is to not do poo poo you know will get you un-friended by WotC.

Do I have to keep to the brewhaus, or can I post the ridiculously fun allies deck I made today and confused people with at FNM?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Why did that guy just scoop? Play that poo poo out dude.

He was throwing a fit because he got called out for the second time for not properly revealing the dragon to Draconic Roar. He revealed it after the spell was already resolving both times he cast it. Probably got a warning for it the first time and Tickal was holding him to it this last time.

Ohyeah. Here's the Allies deck I was running last night.

3 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4 Kalastria Healer
4 Zulaport Cutthroat
1 Lantern Scount
4 Drana's Emissary
1 General Tazri
3 Cliffhaven Vampire
3 Retreat to Emeria
3 Oath of Gideon
2 Captain's Claws
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Ob Nixilis, Reignited

3 Shambling Vent
3 Ally Encampment
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Scoured Barrens
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Swamp
3 Plains

SB: (still don't know what I'd want to board out my main plan against, so I did a transform into BW controllish)
2 Secure the Wastes
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Flaying Tendrils
1 Murderous Cut
1 Ultimate Price
2 Read the Bones
2 Crux of Fate
2 Hallowed Moonlight

keeblerdrow fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 30, 2016

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

bhsman posted:

Gaby also wrote an article on ChannelFireball about women in Magic and got hired on as part of a fresh blood plan for MTG commentary.

EDIT: She's the one who's married to the guy that started Pottermore and is a millionaire now IIRC.

Just did some quick googling. He made mugglenet when he was, like, 12. The New Yorker did a profile on him and called him The Virologist and The King of Clickbait. He makes clickbait websites one after another and just sees what sticks.

Gaby will be fine on coverage, as long as she studies up and doesn't get disconnected with current metas like a lot of WotC coverage people have a habit of doing.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Soul Glo posted:

I have a question about the new colorless mana and EDH:

If I used Mina and Denn as an EDH Commander that has (2)GR, could I "legally" play cards like Thought-Knot Seer that are (3)Colorless?

Yep. From what I understand, colorless isn't part of any of the identities. The only place it would acutally matter for deck building purposes is if you had a colorless commander.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
In the whole of all top 8's 75s, there are very few colored cards. There are 96 cards with a color identity in the entire top 8 with 44 of them being cast with phyrexian mana. That leaves 52 cards with color identity from regular-rear end mana casting cost, 12 of which were Simian Spirit Guides. Of the 40 that would actually be cast, only 12 are in mainboards (8 Master of Etherium, 2 Thoughtcast, 2 Stubborn Denial).

There were only 21 lands in the top 8 that possessed basic land supertypes. Nine, if you don't count Urborg.

Colorless cards, phyrexian mana costs, and conditional lands seemed to rule the day.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Bah, hosed with my post but hit quote on it.

In stupid other news: I managed to pin down two siege rhinos with an allies deck on Friday night. It was fun.

keeblerdrow fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 7, 2016

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
I'm glad I don't own any Chandras yet. If I had any, I just KNOW I'd fall into the trap of trying to build a Sphinx's Tutelage deck. I saw one that won on damage more often than it actually milled anyone on the Hareruya stream a few nights ago. It ignited a fire in me to play a bad deck and not owning any Chandras is keeping me from that.

Also, someone needs to reply to Maro with a meme picture saying "Anything is a cycle, if you're brave enough."

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Today I found out the foil to Bant Company. It's Mardu Green, featuring Rhino and GDD. Its main threats are things you never want to bounce, like ever. And the rest of it is kill spells and card draw. I had my poo poo pushed in by it while I easily trounced every other match (if I didn't mulligan myself into oblivion).

My highlight of the deck was having 2 Wall of Resurgence post-board and winning a game 2 on the draw against UR Prowess. Him with a solid 7, me with a 4-card-1-lander. Hit Collected Company mana on turn five, it netted me a Wall and a Reflector Mage and he never recovered. His draw wasn't even that bad, too.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
So which region is going to lose their entire judging community organization over this new poo poo show?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
The only good planeswalker is a dead planeswalker.

#makedominariagreatagain

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Entropic posted:

Is there really no coverage of the Team Sealed GP in DC this weekend? The best format gets no coverage?

Best to play, second worst to telecast behind solo limited. It's just bad television and is largely a narrative-less top-decking war. Slightly less so for team events, but it's a slog to make compelling coverage for it.

That said, there's no coverage of anything this weekend. We've been having these weird weeks where there's nothing streaming so far this year. Standard is terrible to play right now, but it's super entertaining to watch (like an accident in progress). We've had maybe 2 standard major streamed events since OGW released? And we're only getting one more before rotation.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
I kinda like it with Dragonlord Ojutai. I dunno.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Little Jace's -3 ability allows you to pay alternate casting costs, doesn't it? It's the main difference between it and Snapcaster. Not that you'd want to, but you should be able to suspend AV from the graveyard if you use Jace's ability to target it. You just can't cast it for free immediately.

In Standard news, I played against two decks in a row last Friday that were Erebos's Titan, Kalitas, Drana, Ob Nixilis, and then just all removal. It was a brutal going and I'm sure if I wasn't playing gimmick Oops All Rhinos and constantly copying their guys and my Rhinos, I would've folded to it hard. And it seems to be good to go post-rotation, too. Has anyone put anything like this together? Or is it just the BW control shell minus all the sweet white cards?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Boom. There it is. Thanks for the correction.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Rinkles posted:

Kinda weird how Westvale Abbey's transformation cost involves tapping it, only for it to untap itself when transforming.

No tapping it for mana for its own activation, probably.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

mcmagic posted:

Anyone playing the invitational this weekend?

I have 4 people in my area just begging for borrows on Avacyn. They're running 4 in each of their decks. The invitational is gonna be just 5 mana held up all day everyday.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Guys. When you're building your deck at 4pm or later prior to FNM, slow it down. Check your deck. Make sure you're not missing anything. Make sure you haven't just built your Bant CoCo deck without your copies of Collected Company in it.

Don't be like me.

I hate myself

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Why not Oath of Gideon in some amount?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

qbert posted:

They're showing it.

Aaaaand it's gone. Two non-games, apparently.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Took down Game Day today with Bant Company w/ Special Guest Eldrazi Displacer. Only loss in the swiss was to the mirror against a stock list. It came down to him drawing Dromoka's Command and me not drawing it. In the semis, I had to be on the draw against BG Aristocrats, the nightmare match up for Bant. Turns out? Eldrazi Displacer is a BOSS against this deck. It turns off the Nantuko Husk and Abbey kills and they need cutthroat to win or nothing at all. I was dropping Displacer on 3 and just passing with mana for his activation every turn doing nothing else to drop my activation. Got to 6 lands, dropped a Sylvan Advocate. Then it was attack with Advocate every turn, make him chump or put Husk in front of it and sack 2. Any time Husk was in danger of killing me or my Advocate I would blink and reset it. I whittled away his board this way and just ground out all his cards and advantage. It was a relief and a little glorious. Then took out Mardu Control in the finals by never having more than 2 things on board at once and reloading every time he swept my board. Duskwatch Recruiter is the best uncommon in the entire set. Holy poo poo.

I'm playing CryptoBG tomorrow for fun. We have shittons of Kalitas running around, but everyone knows that Displacer also stalls that deck now too. I'm thinking Ultimate Price isn't the right call for sideboard options to prevent the Kalitas hosing. I need something that unconditionally takes care of both creatures but also exiles them so they can't be recurred (BG Seasons Past or Kolaghan's Command). I was thinking Oblivion Strike? 3B Sorcery, Exile Target Creature. Gets it gone and it can hit Displacer unlike Ultimate Price. I considered Complete Disregard, but if Kalitas eats a single zombie I have no answers. Anyone have a 3 mana instant answer to both creatures in black or green?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Sharzak posted:

You're aware of grasp of darkness?

Once he eats a Zombie, he's out of range. Need to be able to deal with 5/6 and 7/8 Kalitas, too. It's fair against Displacer, though.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Voyager I posted:

Infinite Obliteration might be worth the likely card disadvantage if it means getting rid of a creature your deck is literally incapable of beating.

Yep. Right now, I have, specifically for Kalitas, 4 Transgress the Mind, 2 Infinite Obliteration, 4 Ultimate Price/Oblivion Strike. This is fine, except that I taught the entire store today that Eldrazi Displacer shuts down 2 out of the 3 blow out kills that deck can do. So I need an answer to that too, now. Ultimate Prices won't cut it. Bleh.

I also built my girlfriend a Jeskai Superfriends deck featureing Jace, Chandra, Gideon, and Nahiri. It's just got nothing to do til turn 3, so that's concerning.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Yawgmoth posted:

A good mountain, but my choice will always be:

The new go to Mountain is now the vaginaland.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

mcmagic posted:

I've seen them be complete dicks to their opponent more than once. Kevin Jones on the other hand is one of the nicest dudes I've met playing magic.

I have to keep balancing all the good things I've heard about Kevin Jones with the fact that he has also gave himself his nickname. My internet rear end in a top hat impulses don't know who to side with.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Judge question: are you allowed to shortcut "infinite scry 1" to "look through your deck and cut to the card of your choice"?

If your opponent agrees. But you have to keep your library in the same order.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
My LGS has a father and son play every Friday night that used to tap their lands about 30 degrees or so to denote usage for mana. I could never tell what was and wasn't tapped all the time because they were also a little sloppy on land placement. I broke them of the habit by constantly asking them to describe their board state, how much mana they had untapped, etc. Several times they couldn't tell me exactly and we'd have to get a judge in to sort it all out. They sorted it out quickly and now tap about 85 degrees.

Now I just need to get one of the teenagers in the store to stop picking up my creatures and putting them in my graveyard for me when he kills something. And, when aiming burn spells at me, reaching across the table to nearly tap me with it. Personal space hoola hoop, man. But I enjoy his enthusiasm.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Sickening posted:

Sunday always draws less of a crowd than Saturday. But does it draw less than competing against 5 other stores the same day?

I've got 5 different LGS in my area with another 2 that are looking to start MTG events and I have 0 PPTQs most weekends. Why? Because they all are cannibalizing the same player base and back when they actually held PTQs, they'd all hold theirs on the same day, in the same place, and then "learned" that there was too much competition to make PTQs worth it.

Also, we have exactly 5 standard tournaments every week... at 6:30pm on Friday nights in 5 different locations. When I ask if they can run standard on other nights, replies are "We tried that years ago, there's no interest." I've been playing for ~3 years, I haven't seen anyone in the area run standard on any other night than Friday in that entire time. But hey, we've got modern running in the area on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.

Rant over, I guess.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
I've only been playing for a few years so my scope is limited.

I love Mastery of the Unseen for utility. This will probably earn me enemies.

My flavor pick is Rescue from the Underworld. It tells the entire story in the card name and the mechanic. It doesn't even need to reference specifics and it self-contained. For something that's part of the larger story and connected to Official Magic Story Fiction™, I like the Kytheon, Hero of Akros. It tells his specific story in the mechanics and the art makes him look like a little poo poo who might get all his friends killed and survive like that.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Rinkles posted:

Why is burn supposedly on a downturn?

Abzan Company, the most popular and maybe the best deck in the format, plays 4x Kitchen Finks. Lightning Helix is also all over the place now that the Twin decks have splintered natch and Jeskai colors are being run more.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Angry Grimace posted:

The reason why Red doesn't have Lightning Strike is actually really obvious: both design and development are consciously experimenting with designing colors without certain crutches that every color is assumed to have. There's no Elvish Mystic, white doesn't have a 4-mana wrath, blue's card draw is significantly less powerful, red doesn't have relatively cheap direct damage. All of these things occurring around the same time isn't a random coincidence.

Yes. It is the hand of our lord Jesus Christ at work in Standard.

godbless.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'll buy that, but blue's card draw is less powerful compared to what? As a long time player, it seems like between RTR and now been extremely powerful blue card draw.

There hasn't been a truly good or efficient draw spell printed in blue since Jace Vryn's Prodigy was released. I think R&D have been trying to be super careful about him breaking standards. Notice all the good blue spells he was casting from the graveyard were printed before he was.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

bagrada posted:

Are there no SDCC walker promos this year?

No core set with 5 walkers to riff on. They'd have to get creative about what they would choose for them.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
So I was flipping through my Standard binders putting cards back in preparation for the new set's brewing and I noticed and then remembered this little guy.

Think this might be something that could put a flash/flying deck over the top in UWx? Hell, maybe even UW? It's the closest we'll get to a spirit lord for now, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Elyv posted:

Alternatively, you could run Gideon and choose to make an unkillable anthem, a giant threat, or a grindy knight producing machine.

In the interest of continuing to argue for the virtues of a dumb card, I'll point to the fact that Gideon is sorcery speed.

+1 for the drake. Take that, internet.

• Locked thread