Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We use Phabricator's differential tool, and I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Python has a few advantages when it comes to data science: it's easy to pick up enough of it to write short scripts, the performance is acceptable, and the scipy stack has all of the popular machine learning algorithms. On the other hand, if you're developing large software systems, need better than acceptable performance, or have to use a model that's not in ML for Dummies, it's a bad choice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

For scientific computing, Python is ideal for people who do enough of it that they need to have some high-performance libraries, but not enough that it's worth investing in code written in Fortran/C++/etc. If that's you, you should seriously look at Julia, which is Matlab's programming language with all the crazy removed.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Help I got a Scala job after having gotten familiar with Java and I cannot wrap my head around functional programming at all yet. Especially in combination with Akka and the other frameworks they use.

Take a look at Martin Odersky's courses on Coursera. The first one, which introduces the basics of functional programming, is very good. The second one is terrible, but its first week used to be part of the first one, and is pretty essential. The third and fourth are a bit more of a mixed bag, from what I've heard, but they still might be worthwhile.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 10, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's completely fair and probably even a good idea to ask a candidate how they've grown as a developer and how they keep their skills up to date. If the answers are bad, you probably shouldn't hire them. But if you do that, don't throw around nebulous terms like "passion" that don't describe what you're actually trying to get at.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The 80 character limit is a holdover from punch cards. Technology has moved on, and standards should go with it. Very long lines are bad and there should be a limit, but there's no reason to keep it below the 120-150 range.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

e. e. cummings has nothing on y'all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

code:
Thereare
n
o
f
o
r
m
a
t
t
i
n
g
                                     rules
und
ercap
itali                                       sm

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's variation in how much people need to talk to other engineers over the course of their projects. If you're designing a user-facing app where the code is almost but not quite boilerplate, then you don't have to concentrate really hard, and working with other team members to make sure all of the pieces work together is incredibly important. Most of my projects involve designing an algorithm for part of a massively complex predictive model and implementing it as a referentially transparent microservice. I need to get the other people on my team to agree that the algorithm I'm proposing is good, and I need to get people on other teams to agree on the interface, but that's all of the interaction required. The implementation work can be somewhat mindless, but the actual research part really does require a high degree of focus, and getting distracted from that necessarily slows me down.

Also, one more study: open plan offices are also associated with a higher number of sick days than traditional offices.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pixelboy posted:

FWIW, we have things setup where you can't merge into master w/o a signed off PR.

Has saved many disasters.

We have it set up so that you need a human reviewer and a successful Jenkins build (as well as some other company-specific checks).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

My product team is split between the US and England, but there's a very clear delineation of responsibilities between teams, and there's no one group of ICs that's split across countries. I think breaking that promise would not work very well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Everyone has tech debt, but not everyone is trying to manage it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The mentally disabled as well. ADHD and autism both come with fine motor control issues and would prevent someone from typing very quickly.

There's also age-related decreases in typing speed, as well as things like arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

netcat posted:

People typing out the same command over and over again in terminals instead of just pressing up :cripes:

One of the platforms I have to interact with doesn't let you press up to cycle through previous commands (and it also doesn't support tab completion). It's the worst thing ever.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

IBM being one notable example. Kill WFH and close offices and now you either move or quit. And conveniently the older employees are less likely to move. Scummy.

IBM had a pretty explicit strategy to get rid of older employees and replace them with younger people. ProPublica did a great writeup of it.

fantastic in plastic posted:

I think there's good points to most of those things, at least in the abstract.

Asking one question at a time is a good idea in general, because otherwise you risk overwhelming the other person.

The best form of "word it like he's not very bright" is to avoid technical jargon and to use simple, direct language and sentence structure wherever possible. (Expressing that as "word it like he's not very bright" is how an rear end in a top hat would say it, but I already know that about your boss from the other thread.)

I'm not sure what's meant by "don't ever list options". I'm guessing this is to prevent someone saying something like "Well, we could write a patch for this or we could [completely redesign feature X]" and then Sales is like "great, let's completely redesign the feature!" and suddenly the department is on the hook for it.

"Don't offer help or anything we aren't currently doing" can be a good idea because engineering management needs to be able to plan and estimate workloads. It can't reliably do that if developers are spending hours a week helping another department with its bullshit on an ad hoc basis.

There's no reason to not be friendly and personable in your communication style, though, as long as you can still be friendly and personable while telling someone no, you can't/won't do this thing they want you to do.

To summarize: be friendly, but don't commit the team to anything beyond what you're already doing, and be aware that the salespeople don't need that much from you to take it as a commitment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shirec posted:

Question for y'all more experienced devs: Is it bad form to use a word wrap option in your IDE so you don't have to horizontally scroll all the time? I just got taken to task majorly for it.

In the bad old days, it was very hard to view a line that extended more than 80 characters, so the rule was to limit yourself to 80 characters per line. The reasons for having that restriction went away, but it's the rule, and rules will often outlive their rationales. Some people are very picky about it. Others, like me, see it as a nice guideline that we should all strive to live up to whenever we remember to.

Having lines so long that word wrap kicks in is probably a real issue because anyone who tries to view that code outside of an IDE won't necessarily have the option to enable word wrap. On the other hand, your boss is the worst, so you shouldn't read too much into this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Volmarias posted:

:aaaaa:

Shirec please PM me your info / resume, I can't promise I can get you out of your nightmarish hellscape but I can put your resume in.

Same.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

I will definitely jump in on this side of the argument - in my experience (banks), larger companies have less need for everyone to pull their weight, and more need for butts in seats that can churn out code at a reasonable rate.

You can definitely find smart people, but they'll probably be contractors, and they'll probably be the exception rather than the rule.

This is true in general, but most big companies do have a few teams who are doing really innovative work and have a definite need for smart people who pull their weight. The trick is finding them and getting past the interviews.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/PHP_CEO/status/765298072691806209

That's perfect.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Accidentally posted in the newbie thread:

ultrafilter posted:

If you love GitHub and hate Microsoft, I've got some bad news for you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

For some reason there's been a big spike in projects imported to GitLab today.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Prison?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

slander/libel (I forget which is spoken and which is printed)

Slander is spoken, libel is written.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shirec posted:

at week 8 is where you officially know if you get an offer or not.

What happens if you don't get an offer?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

Whiteboarding is basically an IQ test that is related to the job activity, and there's decent evidence that it correlates with on the job performance.

Show us the evidence.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

If you want the whiteboard correlation, it's basically similar but the datasets are proprietary so you'd have to join a big company that does them like Facebook, Google, Microsoft etc and get onto a hiring committee. It's basically the same though, not a super strong correlation but it's there.

Are these companies getting valid IQ measurements of their employees? Are they only considering the people who were hired and not those who didn't make the cut? How do they validate whiteboard interviews as an instrument?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

The information I've seen isn't publicly available so dunno. Contrary to popular belief though, the people at Facebook/Amazon/Google/other big companies aren't literally retarded so if you have a question about whether they checked a 101 level thing like "is there a correlation" then the answer is probably yes.

Meanwhile, those of us who took stats past 101 know that looking for a correlation after you've selected on the dependent variable doesn't prove a drat thing.

If you want to claim that whiteboard interviewing is effective, you need to show that it reliably distinguishes people who would do well at the job from those who wouldn't. You can't do that just by looking at the people you decided to hire.

I'm sure that there is some signal in a whiteboard interview when it's done well, but I don't for a minute believe that the average big company engineer with no specific training is capable of doing it well.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 20, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shirec posted:

I am filing the HIPAA thing right now

:getin:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

As much as I'd like to see this guy named and shamed, especially to protect other people, my advice on this is to get done with all your reviews and violation report filings and stuff, and then just move the gently caress on. Don't go out of your way to create a situation that you might worry about, just celebrate the fact that you're out.

Jose Valasquez posted:

If he somehow manages to make your last 2 weeks even worse you are under no obligation to finish it out. You can quit immediately at any time

Truth spoken here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/iamrecruitr/status/984823146573369345

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I need a separate space for work and leisure or I don't get anything done, and a home office isn't separate enough. Remote is tough.

Same.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nothing on the internet is forgotten, even if you edit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chaff Bugs: Deterring Attackers by Making Software Buggier

quote:

Sophisticated attackers find bugs in software, evaluate their exploitability, and then create and launch exploits for bugs found to be exploitable. Most efforts to secure software attempt either to eliminate bugs or to add mitigations that make exploitation more difficult. In this paper, we introduce a new defensive technique called chaff bugs, which instead target the bug discovery and exploit creation stages of this process. Rather than eliminating bugs, we instead add large numbers of bugs that are provably (but not obviously) non-exploitable. Attackers who attempt to find and exploit bugs in software will, with high probability, find an intentionally placed non-exploitable bug and waste precious resources in trying to build a working exploit. We develop two strategies for ensuring non-exploitability and use them to automatically add thousands of non-exploitable bugs to real-world software such as nginx and libFLAC; we show that the functionality of the software is not harmed and demonstrate that our bugs look exploitable to current triage tools. We believe that chaff bugs can serve as an effective deterrent against both human attackers and automated Cyber Reasoning Systems (CRSes).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pair programming is useful in circumstances where you're trying to do something in a hurry that both people only know part of. A long time ago I did it for a complicated authentication/authorization flow where I knew the business logic very well and the other guy knew the code, and we didn't have time for either of us to pick up the other part.

However, if you do it right, it's much more demanding than programming on your own. You can't let your mind wander or go off to check Facebook or anything like that--it's eyes on the code the whole time you're doing it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Volmarias posted:

You're going to go on a journey of discovery that ends with price actually needing to be a float.

If you care about numerical accuracy, you don't store or even process prices as floats.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No j?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

So do the Jews, AFAIK, which is where the Easter problem comes from.

The Jewish calendar is a lunar calendar, but they have an extra month every few years to keep it roughly aligned with the solar calendar.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

if is a word. You put spaces between words, right?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Now you understand more about why finding a job is so drat hard.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Janitor Prime posted:

Rightly so, because that's the kind of hellscape found over and over again in countless orgs.

I think at this point horrible misinterpretations of scrum outnumber the ones that get right by a significant margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Both people are the right match somewhere. I'd hire the first one and make one of their performance goals to write cleaner code, but there are a lot of groups where the second person is a better match because they just need to churn out features as fast as possible to keep their customers happy.