Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Arbite posted:

Also, since we're not grandfathering in last year's choices, BB Mutsu. . I've got a lucky feeling about her.

drat you! Was looking forward to claim it for the third WitP LP in a row (both the previous ones were abandoned). :argh:

I guess I'll call the CL Sendai instead, since it seems to be the heaviest IJN ship left according to the Google sheet.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd just like to remind everyone of what happened the last time Grey Hunter played a game where it was "OK I'm going to win like nuts in the beginning, and then the way the game's designed inevitably means that I'm going to start going backwards and consolidating somewhat and the real measure of success isn't what I gain now, it's what I don't lose later"

http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-East/

We have an even-money chance of this either ending in Operation Downfall or the American intelligence report reading "Tokyo Bay Fortress is located at San Francisco".

If Grey ever does a WitE LP as the Soviets, Stalin will be having tea in the ruins of the Reichstag by Christmas 1941.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I found the Sealion talk on the previous page super interesting. Did the Germans ever really have a plausible win point for the war? Could they have conquered all of mainland Europe, not invaded Russian during Winter, won in Northern Africa and then just peaced out of there until they got their nukes working for Britain?

No, they were pretty much hosed from the start.

Which isn't all that surprising when you get into some of the more academic literature on the subject - the Nazi leadership was such a bunch of bumbling clowns it's an honest-to-god miracle they ever got anything done at all. The German economy from the 1930's onwards was basically run as a gigantic pyramid scheme.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 8, 2016

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Drone posted:

If they could have avoided war with Russia, then I think they'd have been able to get some kind of peace deal that was favorable, though I bet the war would have continued for far longer than 1945 if that happened.

Possibly, but then they wouldn't have been the Nazis. Huge territorial expansion to the east was essential to their plans from the start.

EDIT: For anyone interested in this, there's a really great archived thread on the subject:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541449

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 8, 2016

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ikasuhito posted:

You know speaking of dongs, I've noticed a distinct lack of venereal disease tracking lists. What kind of grog game is this where I can't even check to see if my privates have syphilis?

War in the Pacific - Surgeon General's Edition

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Maternal grandfather flew bombers for the Luftwaffe around the Mediterranean. Unlike most people, he actually wrote poo poo down. Highlights of his service included:

* Initially getting drafted into an infantry reserve unit for the invasion of Poland. Due to supply mismanagement, they crossed the border and spent the first few days on enemy territory without any ammunition at all.

* Grabbing his abusive drill instructor by the lapels and tossing him into a latrine pit. Mysteriously enough, no one had heard or seen anything and the incident wasn't even reported.

* Frying breakfast eggs on the aircraft wings in the desert heat.

* Peeing in glass bottles during long flight missions. After returning to base, they put the bottles on the ground somewhere to dispose of them later. At one time, an Italian serviceman happened by and thought "Sweet, free wine!"...

* Outmanuevering a Bristol Beaufighter by diving steeply and then pulling up, causing the pursuing plane to splash into to the ocean.

* Trading schedules with a friend so he could go home for the holidays. One night while he was away, the airbase was bombed and a lot of his squadmates were killed. Apparently a bomb had struck the building right on top of where his bunk used to be.

* Almost getting shot on the spot after being captured by GI's in Germany because they mistook his Luftwaffe insignia for some sort of SS markings. Thankfully, he spoke fluent English and could clear things up.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Games > Let's Play > War in the Pacific - Flags of our Grandfathers / Effortposts from Iwo Jima

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

McNally posted:

So has David Irving.

He'll probably take that as a compliment. :jerkbag:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

Just spending a few days with a CK2 or EUIV game on "observe" mode would probably give you a better grasp of history than years of public schooling.

All the way up until an insane, homosexual Bulgarian Jew founds the kingdom of Israel on the Baltic coast in 1232 AD, loses a war against the Sultanate of Norway and subsequently converts to Jainism.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grumio posted:

a mini kido butai

I support this if, and only if, we name this new task force the Kawaii Butai. :nyoron:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

I also keep forgetting to introduce the Baby Butai. (better name suggestions please.)

Kawaii Butai :nyoron:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

jerman999 posted:

The Dutch crew scuttled her on 1 March 1942, but the IJN refloated and launched her as a patrol boat in 1944.

code:
Previous report of sinking of AVP Arend incorrect. Intelligence reports ship has been un-sunk.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

"I hereby baptize christen thee Enterprise Grigsby Soviet Bigglesworth Kiafeng Defiantly Hunter"

This is (hopefully) where someone intervenes before Grey smashes a bottle of champagne over the poor infant. :ohdear:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

In other news - need more badly written stuff in your life. I'm trying my hand at a Create your own adventure in the Trad games forums.

Come make me do terrible things to match my terrible spelling!

Looking forward to you getting the LP's mixed up. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Where is (211, 186) on the actual map?

Not a drat clue, just made up some random numbers.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

goatface posted:

Mikhail has been taken by a fey mood.
Mikhail has claimed a munitions factory.
Mikhail has created Avtomat Kalashnikova! A legendary automatic firearm!

code:
On the item is an image of Josef Manygulags and germans in ebony. Josef Manygulags is striking down the germans. 

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

Try not to land any troops on North Sentinel by mistake. :ohdear:

Conscript the Sentinelese into a commando unit and drop them off in the continental US by submarine. :black101:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Jesenjin posted:

And now I am imagining space chaplain giving a prep talk to a group of space marines before fighting the Orkz.

In the grim darkness of the far future 1940's China, there is only war BANZAI :japan:

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 4, 2016

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Combat reports written in crayon stuck to the refrigerator

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

The RPG's are planned during dead times in tests at work, and are my evening slots at the weekend. the CYOA will be written at random times when I have a few mins spare.

Probably shouldn't ask here, but is the Trail of Cthulhu CYOA permanently dead, or just ...not dead, but dreaming? :cthulhu:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mikl posted:

The next words will be "battleship", "carrier", "sunk", and "shank". And "clunk", can't forget clunk.

I'm guessing his first book will be Betty and Kate go to Eniwetok. Or possibly Nate and the mystery of Tokyo Bay Fortress.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

dylguy90 posted:

Then again, Simo Hahya was 5'3", so I'm pretty sure context matters. In his case I'm sure being a tiny Finnish sprite probably helped him avoid getting hit.

Sure didn’t help him avoid a bullet to the face, though.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

How about a goon vs goon LP of WITP where there is a goon in command of each branch and nation :psyboom:

Even better - run WitW and WitE simultaneously on the same map and give every goon a divisional command.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hang in there, Sendai! :ohdear:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is such a Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf post :allears:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The ultimate showdown LP - Grey vs uPen, playing as the IJN and IJA.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Hey guys, I just found out that FNG is getting a 3rd Edition in a couple of months.

You all know what that means.....

OH YES :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

It’s been a wild ride. Thank you, Grey! :japan: