Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Race Realists posted:

is.. is this some sort of bait?:wtc:

I think it's just more that people have already seem to have decided that Ep VII is the most awesome movie ever, so it's going to be hard to find a objective review.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Clone Wars brought Maul back as a part cyborg. Don't know what would have happened to him, since Disney cancelled it once they bought it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Was it RLM that pointed out that they don't even necessarily know that Dooku is headed towards specifically a hangar? Like, Dooku could have just parked that poo poo on a rooftop, or in the middle of nowhere on the ground, or an underground lair with a secret hidden door that retracts to let his ship fly out, or like a runway. Hell he might not have had any escape plan other than peacing out on that speeder bike thing. But no, Padme knows it's a hangar that he's headed towards and she's gotta get to it.

Also, requesting whoever made it to please repost the Padme/Rey shooting gif.

poo poo, in ANH R2 & 3P0 just happen to crash land practically in Kenobi's lap, despite having a whole planet to land on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Artoo programmed a landing area, no doubt.

Maybe they had seen Dooku's landing pad when they were landing on Geonosis?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

They didn't though? They were pretty drat far from where anyone was and the only reason they got to Luke was because the Jawas snatched them up and sold it to Owen. And even then, Obi Wan was still pretty drat far.

It wasn't as if they landed on the other side of the planet though. They fell, were picked out and sold in like, what, a day? Two at most? And then ran into Kenobi that night.

Waffles Inc. posted:

The "how did they know it was a hanger/!?!" gripe is absolutely dumb

I know. I love it when people nitpick the prequels for evidence as to why they're "Bad", but refuse to recognize the same flaw in the original trilogy.

It reminds me of the box office argument. If a film they like makes a billion dollars, then that's proof that it's a great film. However, if it's a film they detest, then all it proves is other people are stupid.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DrNutt posted:

It's almost like there's a mystical energy guiding things along a certain path. Call it a 'force,' if you must.

Exactly. Maybe the force helped Padme know where Dooku's ship was.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

well why not posted:

Angling for clicks or pushing a weird agenda? Who knows!

Well, that's basically what people were saying as the trailers came out, that it was looking more and more like just a remake of ANH. I can see how someone wouldn't find that an exciting experience to sit through.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I enjoyed all the Star Wars films.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Phantom Menace is done. Seriously I don't why this movie gets so much hate. Jar Jar is annoying, yes, but the action scenes are top notch. Good times.

Because people basically wanted a remake of ANH, except Luke going to dark side instead of the light at the end.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

It doesn't have to be The Shawshank Redemption, I just don't want it to be pedestrian. If it has all the triggers that makes me feel like I'm watching a Star Wars movie, is a reasonable continuation of the OT, and has enough overall quality and uniqueness that it rises above "generic action movie with a Star Wars re-skin", I'll be happy.

That's how the PT felt to me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yoda's sort of based on the kung fu movie archetype of the wisened old master who is so good he doesn't even need to do all the fancy poo poo he teaches the pupil to do. If you can move spaceships with your mind and see the future you've kind of moved past having to beat dudes with a laser stick. Same goes for Palpatine - he's so menacing because he doesn't carry a lightsaber, and when we learn why in RotJ, it's a major holy poo poo moment. When both of them finally get some action and it turns out they just fight like Sonic the Hedgehog, it kind of throws that out the window.

But that kung fu archetype also wold also show that the wise old master could move like lightning if the need arose.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

At least now we're hitting my favorite part of these threads: the people getting upset at other people for not liking something they like.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pulp Can Move posted:

It's rare to see an action-adventure movie where the humor is handled as well as it is in this. Every joke lands really well, and there are a lot of them.

Nah, there's way too many jokes in this. It deflates any tension the scenes could be building, because if the characters can joke about it, it must not be too serious, can it?

Anyway, for me, this felt less like a Star Wars film, and more like someone's bad Star Wars fan fiction.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

It just processed for me that Lucas didn't write, direct, or produce ESB. In retrospect, it's surprising anyone would have thought the prequels would be good.

What? He totally produced it. He also came up with the story, and was on set for the majority of it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

punchymcpunch posted:

I say in general because I'm sure Lucas was way more hands-on than that. Nevertheless, it's totally valid to say that "Lucas didn't produce the movie" because he isn't the credited producer, Gary Kurtz is.

The thing is, the poster was trying to imply that Lucas had absolutely nothing to do with ESB, except finance it, which is bullshit.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Denis Lawson was the inside man for Fox, which is the only reason Wedge survived all three films.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They should have waited for Ren to take off his mask. Instead of doing it before Rey, it probably would have been a more powerful moment if the first time we saw his face is when his father asked him to remove it.

Speaking of which. I'll buy into spaceships, lightsabers, The Force and all that, but am I truly supposed to believe that Kylo Ren's hair looks that magnificent once the helmut is removed?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

At least TFA kept up the PT standards of awful dialogue.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

The prequels already had a tough job just in concept: they had to make the tragic transformation of a dumb little kid into the coolest villain of all time (but notably, still a villain and a murderer and stuff) into a rollicking family adventure, and the audience already knows the ending the entire time. Why even bother making it? I think the answer is money.

It's why Disney made TFA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PT6A posted:

I flew an hour to see this movie in a VIP theatre and I was worried it wouldn't by worth it, but it was totally worth it, and if you don't like this movie, on the balance, you're basically a horrible person who hates fun.

I hate this argument. "You hate fun" if you didn't like "X".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They could have completely removed the character of Dameron from the film and it wouldn't have affected the story one bit.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

One thing I do appreciate about what JJ did with TFA is how he took some of the more absurd nitpicks and complaints about the PT and used them in TFA, as if he was daring people to criticize him. Examples:

The complaint about R2-D2 having rocket jets. Well, if you thought that was dumb, here's BB-8, able to shoot several harpoons from his body!

Don't like Jar-Jar or CGI Yoda? Here's Maz, who could have, and should have, been done with a puppet.

Thought Grevious was stupid? Well, here's CGI Snoke.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

This already looks so much better than TFA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

High Lord Elbow posted:

If you strip away the visuals and sound effects and just consider the plot and dialogue, the prequels sound like something you would overhear listening to a fairly creative six-year-old playing with his action figures.

Makes sense. Since TFA sounds like a thirteen year old's fan fiction.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

What makes Jar Jar's role in the army more selfless than any other Gunga soldier?

He had been banished by his people. He had no reason to go back to them and stand among them to fight. And yet he did.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Something that bugged me is that the naboo star fighter, which looks and feels to me like a short range fighter, has hyperspace capability as they fly in with the queens ship in aotc. Jedis got robbed man they ships worse than a naboo

Space Kingdom vs Space Monks? Yeah, Space Kingdom should have the better ships. Space Hare Krishnas should be tooling around in their version of a Gremlin.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Played by David Tennant.

Who won an Emmy for it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

The Alamo Drafthouse near me is doing a screening of the documentary Elstree 1976 tonight and I'm trying to decide if it's worth driving downtown to go see.

Anyone heard anything strongly positive or negative about it?

http://www.avclub.com/review/star-wars-minor-players-take-center-stage-elstree--236128

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lucas said that in the first edit of RotS that the rescue mission at the beginning took up almost an hour in his original cut, which led to Shaak Ti's death being moved from there to a later shoot.

It's funny to look at these stories about Rogue One reshoots and how TFA turned out, and see that the only one who seemed interested in doing new things with Star Wars was George Lucas.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yaws posted:

I''m genuinely curious if you two know anyone outside of this thread that unironically enjoys the PT. I'm sure you're going to lie and be all like "ACTUALLY I KNOW SEVERAL PEOPLE AND ONE IS A NEUROSURGEON!"

I enjoyed them. And I know many people who enjoyed them. And not for "ironic" reasons, either. They, and myself, enjoyed them as the popcorn movies that they were.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

euphronius posted:

In the movie she witnesses kylo killing Han Solo.

Yet another way TFA apes ANH. Both Rey and Luke get way too emotional over someone they've only known for a few hours.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yaws posted:

Just look at these lines Lee was forced to say in that scene:

"You've interfered with our affairs for the last time"

"I've become more powerful than any Jedi"

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but our skills with a Lightsaber"

This is the type of poo poo you hear before a boss fight in a video game. As noted, it's a combination of things, the poor line reading, the atrocious dialogue, the bland direction, the fact that they're just staring at eachother while a clearly bored Lee is throwing debris at Yoda. The scene isn't cinematic.

To top it off, what happens next is the worst lightsaber duel in the series. We all suspected Yoda didn't have a lightsaber in the OT because it would look dumb. AotC confirmed this.

More "video game" dialogue:

Rey: Where am I?

Kylo Ren: You're my guest.

Rey: Where are the others?

Kylo Ren: Do you mean the murderers, traitors and thieves you call friends? You'll be relieved to hear I have no idea.

[pause]

Kylo Ren: You still want to kill me.

Rey: That happens when you're being hunted by a creature in a mask.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Yoda is an alien.

So are all the "humans". They may look like us, doesn't mean they have the same biology as us.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Not the trailer, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUb_zpdyDpU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

My biggest take from that video: "The pressure is so high. We're making a film that is right touching my favorite movie of all time. But then if you are too respectful of it that you don't do anything new, different, take a risk, then what are you bringing to the table?"

Gareth throwing some shade.

Edwards is awesome. I am going to miss him doing Godzilla 2, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The prequels were good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Oh don't worry, I'm a fan of the B1s (although they went a bit overboard with them in the early episodes of Clone Wars).

Speaking of Clone Wars; yeah, they definitely have a lot more individuality in "things-after-Phantom-Menace"...but I find it unclear if they became 'people' by way of being given individuality, or if they always had programmed personality but that was squashed by the control ship signals.

If you take in account the CW cartoon, they definitely have personalities. Like the group who took joy in seeing the terror of the clones they were about to inject into space.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Barudak posted:

I'm gonna have to disagree pretty hard here. Pretty much everybody does a great job across the board. I know some people don't like anakin and Padme but you have to admit Sheev and Obiwan are perfect.

I like Padme and Anakin fine. They're two kids who were robbed of having normal childhoods, so of course they're unable to process their feelings and are awkward as gently caress around one another.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Barudak posted:

That momentary shot of a fallen Jedi statue has made me realize I want an Indiana jones movie but in the Star Wars universe.

Because of course there loving is:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Henrietya_Antilles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Shiroc posted:

The last time I watched Empire Strikes Back, it struck me how pointless the soldiers in the trenches and manning the turrets were during Hoth. The visible Imperials were the AT-ATs (which could only be harmed by the snowspeeders tripping them) and a single AT-ST that only appears in one shot. I get the impression that the battle was supposed to be more like the one in Attack of the Clones, with tons of combined units and the infantry actually doing something other than futility shooting and retreating.

Also, the Rebels seemed to be shocked at the sight of the AT-ATs. Perhaps they were expecting a more traditional battle.

• Locked thread