Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bates
Jun 15, 2006

drilldo squirt posted:

Can you imagine how this wojld go down if they were black?

Now I kinda want those Black Panther guys to occupy a closed down library or something and emulate every tweet and video coming out of Oregon - except about real problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

wiffle ball bat posted:

I agree with the judge who sentenced them to 1 year and in my opinion the Hammonds have served their time and repaid their debt to society.

Fine but other judges disagreed with that judge. The Ninth Court of Appeals upheld the federal sentencing law, saying “given the seriousness of arson, the five-year sentence is not grossly disproportionate to the offense".

Sorry, you don't get to chose which court and judge you want to listen to. There's a process and theoretically it applies to everyone equally. It's in the constitution.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what i gathered from the video, it they basically want to set up there own little non official mini state or some poo poo.

They want to return prosperity to Harney County - like it used to be before 1908 when the refuge was established. Basically it's a bunch of rural folks experiencing the shifting tides of a changing economy and failing to understand why rural communities are struggling and will continue to struggle. There must be a reason and that reason is the government because realizing your way of life is doomed, is unbearable. The government is the cause of their hardships and "freeing" public lands for some sort of free market sharing scheme will solve everything. It would be sad and pathetic if it wasn't for the guns and delusions.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

The fact of the matter is, is that while most people would say the riot destroy poo poo protests are bad, they are happening. Not every leftist is destroying innocent peoples property and businesses, not everyone on the right is sitting in a nature reserve with their rifles. If you look at the recent uni protests were leftists are assaulting journalists and fake vandalising pictures of black people combined with bullshit lies about KKK hunting blacks on campus, then compare it to this protest where they have managed to get a fucktonne of media attention without any bullshit at all, without destroying property, and without interrupting innocent peoples lives, you have to be actually mentally broken to say this is not a far better form of protest. Regardless of your views on what they are on about.

There is that thing with threats, saying you are willing to kill and be killed, which makes it an escalation beyond peacefully occupying a building. The entirety of their strategy, to get media attention, hinges on that implicit threat. It would be better if people didn't threaten to start shootouts every time they have a grievance because one day it will inevitably escalate beyond words.

Also, riots spurred by race tensions and poverty are not leftwing riots anymore than sports riots are rightwing riots.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

A better question is "how many federal agents should lay down their lives to evict these people from this land by force, as opposed for waiting for them to run out of vacation days and go home so that the land can be seized back without any harm to federal employees"? An armed standoff should always be a last resort, not the first one.

What if they stay "for years" as they plan? When should they be evicted and how many federal agents should lay down their lives to do it?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Ninkobei posted:

we're losing sight of the real victors here : the men and women, employed at whatever building this thing is happening at , getting an extra long winter vacation. god bless

But think of all the excrement they'll be scraping and shovelling to get the place back in order.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

I have a request: the Bundy people have referred to some incident involving a woman in Utah being abused by the government regarding her right to graze on land set aside for a public monument. I haven't been able to find a single news article or blog entry about the incident, does anyone have a link to an article discussing the allegation?

Probably this. Ranchers have a business model based on grazing on federal land but want the land to be developed more for the purpose of grazing. Environmental groups think it'll eventually ruin the land. What's the right amount of grazing and how much can you develop the land before it ceases to be a natural habitat and exists mostly for grazing?

edit: ^^^ :nyd:

Bates fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 6, 2016

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Evidently tarping is what happens when you take larping too far.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

The entire place is flat and if the cops block off the roads, people will just drive over the grass and shrubs.

It would keep reporters away.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
No reason to confront them directly but I also see no particular reason to stand idly by as people truck food and supplies in there.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

I'm still amused at the irony that the least-prepped preppers in history took over a site whose name literally translates as 'misfortune.'

To be fair, prepping is a waste of time if you can just go get pizzas.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Horking Delight posted:

I'm pretty sure eating the slice of tomato from a burger you buy at the local restaurant is enough to keep you from getting scurvy.

I'm gonna be pissed if they stay the several months necessary to develop scurvy.

Why would they get scurvy when they can just go shopping? They might not be the brightest but I'm sure they know how to buy groceries.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

Any new developments with this? Are they still camping in the building with no interference and a lukewarm population around them?

Of course. They have access to the media and a stage to get their message out nationally. They would be crazy to just leave that - it's invaluable.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

An incredibly charitable reading would be that they are using the list to signal there are women there with them.

Given that they are free to go buy whatever they want they are really signalling an unwillingness to pay their own way.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Fargo Fukes posted:

When this fizzles out and is abandoned (in six weeks or six months or however long it takes), the militias will take the lesson that they didn't have enough public support, that their problem was with their own organization, they'll look inward. They won't take the view that they needed more guns, more bombs, more violence, because that's not how they were beaten. The feds barely made an appearance. And they'll have a harder time drumming up support for another occupation given how lovely this bunch have been to the local county.

As long as they are in the media and have a platform to get their message out nationally they have zero incentive to leave, beyond personal finances. If the media starts ignoring them the math will change but that assumes they can't come up with a stunt to get attention back like taking down fences to allow patriot cows free reign of the traitor wildlife preserve. If the BLM can't properly enforce the grazing system they will have achieved the objectives they can realistically hope for whether local ranchers initially take advantage of it or not. It would give them a victory if not of substance then of PR value and a precedent for future, better prepared actions.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I don't know if the Bundy gang knows this but everyone in this thread should: this isn't BLM land. The BLM is not involved in this. The BLM blinked at the last Bundy standoff (BLM Director Neil Kornze is the one who made the decision to call off the agents) and if this were another confrontation with the BLM then they might do it again, but they aren't in this. I know that doesn't mean there won't be another failure of law enforcement here. I wouldn't be surprised if Kornze had been pressured from higher up to back down. But I do think that the fact this is an actual land grab and not a dispute over grazing fees makes it different enough from Bundy Standoff 1 that simple comparisons don't really apply.

Ok that might be true but the objective of the militia is to open the lands to exploitation by, among others, local ranchers. If the feds do nothing and the militia haven't left come grazing season they will in practice achieve that objective. It wouldn't be legal or permanent but that's not the point – it would serve as a demonstration and a precedent. The militia may yet leave but staying there is not worthless from their perspective. That big shiny victory sign in the distance is cattle grazing while the refuge is unable to monitor or control it.

Even if they can't accomplish that, every day they are hot poo poo in the limelight and can explain the constitution to reporters is a victory.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
They'll leave when they run out of food!
- Can get groceries and is supplied hourly.
They'll leave when they get bored!
- Is the center of a media circus.
They'll leave without popular support!
- Is a living persecution complex.
Infighting will break them apart!
- Slow trickle of new volunteers.

Any day now!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Well, personally, the two week mark is when I would expect the cracks to START showing, not the point where they'd all be gone. I went to summer camp for two weeks as a kid

These guys are having the time of their lives - they get to pose in tacticool on national TV and people are bringing them doughnuts. They're not going anywhere.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The current plan is hoping they'll eventually leave when they have accomplished all of their goals.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Radish posted:

That's beautiful.

Gummy dicks is hate.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

If these guys are allowed to receive a large shipment of anything, then I say just gently caress it and let them have the land, and all federal lands in the state of Oregon. There's no danger in preventing a truck or van filled with supplies or whatever from reaching the refuge grounds, so if they are going to let even that happen then it is because they have little interest in stopping these guys from doing anything aside from starting a fire or trying to kill some one.

No blockade means they can come and go as they please. We initially gave them poo poo for not being prepared but you obviously don't need to prepare anything if you can just go get pizza and beer when you feel like it.

Maybe the media will stop caring and they'll get bored and leave. I don't think either will happen. They either stay through the summer season to demonstrate what federal authority amounts to with ever increasing support from wingnuts or the feds remove them with force which gets more complicated every time another hick with a gun shows up to hang around Burns.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

As a Millennial I posted:

Stay strong against those federal occupiers who are highly intimidating you, fellow patriots

We took over a public building and now they have closed off other nearby public buildings. This is completely unreasonable!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

they constantly cite the constitution, but never the specific part they're talking about

Whichever part capitalization is key to proper patriotic understanding of it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
"You don't go to prison for this...?"
"No, you don't go to prison for the constitution."
"It depends on the strength of your resolve."

Riiiight,

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

who is this preachy broad on the livestream?

she's babbling like a bible study teacher about something that makes even less sense.

She's a "constitutional lawyer" who makes youtube videos. Her videos are circulating in the hick-sphere and now Pete has become a fan.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Oh poo poo is Kris Anne Hall finally there and on stream? Of all the days to be too busy to go in and troll.

Ye that's her --> http://krisannehall.com/

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
lol the FBI is ignoring them so tomorrow they're going to picket FBI HQ.

LOOK AT MEEEEEE

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It'll be pretty ironic when the Feds seize their property to pay off the fines they incurred protesting the Feds seizing not their property.

I'm sure they'll be slotted in just behind the debts of Cliven Bundy.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

The-Mole posted:

Going into the two poorest counties in Oregon, where people bust their asses for every bit that they have and telling them they should be willing to give up everything they have is one shockingly tone-deaf argument.

The whole thing rests on the assumption that the land can be exploited for more value than the refuge brings the community in terms of federal financial support, tourism, hunting etc. Somehow I doubt extended grazing rights is the only thing holding back a thriving cattle business and it seems the local ranchers are equally skeptical.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

kartikeya posted:

Anyhow, content! Sort of. This is a very, very angry man, and he calls what the US Government did to the Native Americans equivalent to Waco and Ruby Ridge, so that's. That's a thing.

The federal government really got in the way of those benevolent, tolerant states trying to live peacefully with them there Indians.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

oohhboy posted:

I hope someone lets off some fire crackers so they can fight the darkness.

Put a police siren/lights on a drone and fly it in circles around the refuge a mile out. They'll either be dead of stroke or out of ammo in 10 min. flat.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Just build a wall around it and invoice them for the cost.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Saw this linked on twitter, and couldn't believe that fark still existed. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Whole lotta stolen valor there. Now we just need a veterans group to go there and protest.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

FBI brilliant as usual. Nabbing almost all the leaders at once with limited gunfire, unlike if they'd done this at the reserve.

Wish they had got Cooper, though. Not sure if the next move for the FBI is siege, raid, or what

Well they got plenty of food for a siege.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Oh christ.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
How the gently caress did they run out of food with a month of preparation.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

SedanChair posted:

How long before these guys go all masada fortress and just paint the walls of the building with one another's brains? And that'll be even more tax dollars to clean up.

Cleaning it up would take most of a small napkin.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Crain posted:

Yep. They believe it's still like it was in the days of the Wild West. Or at least want it to go back to that.

A rancher to them seems to be akin to a mayor or regional leader/head of state. They control their land and have (or should have) final say on what goes on there. They command an army of Cowboys who are both the hardest working men ever (besides the rancher himself) and the toughest militia men you'll ever cross.

Nearest I can tell they see being a rancher as being akin to a business minded warlord. Just look at Finicum's book.

In many ways they seem to be lost in time. The premise that all wealth is created from land and freeing it for exploitation will usher in a golden age in rural nowhere is about 50 years out of date.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Fionnoula posted:

So the tarps blew away? This is TERRIBLE.

Show some goddamn respect. That man died to return a bird refuge to profitability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

So they're trying to roadblock the roadblocks? What exactly is that supposed to do?

They're cosplaying the Battle of Alesia.

• Locked thread