Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...m-burns-oregon/

That represents an enormous loss of income for the Finicums. According to a 2010 tax filing, Catholic Charities paid the family $115,343 to foster children in 2009. That year, foster parents were compensated between $22.31 and $37.49 per child, per day, meaning if the Finicums were paid at the maximum rate, they cared for, on average, eight children per day in 2009.

“That was my main source of income,” Finicum said.

Oh yeah, that was a loving scam right there. Apparently, they broke even on the ranch, so basically, room, board, and feeding the kids was entirely taken care of out of the ranch expenses; a minuscule amount was spent toward clothing them and they were likely homeschooled; and that the foster children probably provided free labor if they were old enough.

The hilarious thing is you're likely not going to see anything on that stream for days, because the Feds can just wait them out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm hearing that the sheriff's department busted Pete Santilli around the same time.

https://twitter.com/HarneyCoSheriff/status/692192569304989697

And "Captain" Joseph Donald O'Shaughnessy in a separate incident as well.

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/692180204211552256

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Finicum's daughter confirmed that he had been killed in the traffic stop, so it's likely the truth. Apparently, Ryan Bundy was also shot, but his injury was non-life threatening.

Also, Jon Ritzheimer surrendered to police in Arizona. That's likely not going to dissuade anyone from thinking he's an informant.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh god, reading the breaking news off Oregon Live. This is a choice quote...

quote:

So the Bundy's are occupying a new gov't building tonight? Good for them, staying the course.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Supposedly, they had a base camp at the Silver Spur Hotel and weren't really camping out at the refuge. There's a whole bunch of supplies there.

There's supposedly being some sort of conference there to elect new leadership and figure out what's the next course of action.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

In the now ventilated memory of LaVoy Finicum, we must have a Let's Read of his magnum opus, his survival guide-cum-novel "Only By Blood and Suffering".

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/lavoy-finicum-is-a-militiaman-and-a-novelist

quote:

Finicum's 241-page apocalyptic cowboy thriller titled "Only By Blood and Suffering" is a how-to on surviving after a electromagnetic pulse or nuclear attack when your Escalade stops driving, the government has bought back all of your guns, President Bill Clinton signed away your country's missile technology to the Chinese, the Supreme Court is loaded with lefty judicial activists and you don't have an adequate amount of gold and "junk silver" to get by when the stock market implodes, interest rates balloon overnight and the value of the dollar collapses.

Finicum chronicles the struggle of the Bonham family's grown children as each copes with the political, financial and nuclear crisis that has befallen America. As Dan, Cat and the twins HayLee and KayLee attempt to return to their father's ranch, they must all grapple with the reality that they are not as prepared for a societal meltdown as dear old dad warned them to be.

"A twinge of guilt pulled at me. What would dad think with me showing up at the ranch with so little food? Of course he would say nothing and in no way try to make me feel like I had let him down. Bu I had. How many timed had he told us kids to lay up stores and supplies?"

Dan Bonham in that passage is reflecting as he seeks to leave the rioting streets of San Diego with his wife and kids (spoiler alert: the baby dies on the way).

Finicum writes that to stop a government takeover, the townspeople end up hanging one government official - Ann Rafferty- a mayor who had "all the charm and good looks of a movie star" and "a figure that filled out her business skirts nicely."

Her "not pretty" and "not quick" execution is rationalized because "if a man cannot own and control his own property, he does not have freedom."

The book also alludes to a third party – the Independent American Party– which emerges to fill the void felt by Libertarians and tea party voters. A party of the same name, which has been linked to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, actually does exist -- and is actually engaged in an internal dispute today over whether or not to support the ranchers in Oregon.

Roast in pieces, you loving shitbag.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

simplefish posted:

Blaine gonna get sniped in the NVGs

He's going to get hit with a laser blinder and that'll be the last thing those NVGs are going to see. And, soon enough, probably Blaine.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HJE-Cobra posted:

Yeah I saw that the guy who died had to pay a fee of $1,126 to let his 161 cows graze on the federal land for like six months, back in 2014. That is not a very large fee.

That guy died over a few thousand dollar annual fee for letting cows graze

Meanwhile, he was scamming about $115,000 a year from charities and the government for all those foster kids of his.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

OccupiedBurns is some weird non-supporter of the people at the ranch? like he was nice to them but didn't really support them and he's local

The guy is supposedly an old Vietnam Veteran Against The Vietnam War hippie who took part in some of the federal building seizures during the anti-war protests, so he knows his way on how to handle these situations, but you can tell he doesn't like these guys one bit. He's been reposting stuff from Yemen, where the Saudi army is bombing the poo poo out of rebels there, as a way to mock the occupiers.

Entropic posted:

Y'all Qaeda getting stomped by the federal government in spite of their guns is a hilarious rebuttal to the WE NEED GUNS TO PROTECT OURSELVES FROM GOVERNMENT TYRANTS argument for gun ownership.

TBF, if this poo poo kept going on without the Feds or the sheriff's department moving in, the only way Oregonians would have to get rid of them would be to get a bunch of guys together, get a bunch of guns and ammo, and do it themselves.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Entropic posted:

Now that they brought the Doof Wagon, can this turn into Mad Max but with snow instead of desert?

Sadly, with the snow, it'll be more like Battletruck/Warriors Of The 21st Century than Fury Road.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I wonder if any Portland hipsters got arrested for ironically hanging out with them

loving PETA went up there more than once to hand out veggie and tofu snacks to them.

hitchensgoespop posted:

What's the story about the tarp. I'm feeling like I'm missing something

You might be missing something about the blue tarp but I can tell you that the Feds didn't miss.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cygni posted:

my thinking would be that they can just pick em up later after theyve dispersed. these guys arent rocket surgeons

The Feds and local police have a shut down a 50 mile stretch of road. They could be hiding around a bend just outside the refuge or at a roadblock 20 miles down the road.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lolie posted:

Feds have used the info from youtubes to support the criminal complaints. lol.

https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/692489344481890304

That's the problem about calling for an insurrection, you better go through with it or it's not going to be good on your end.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

staberind posted:

they could, or they could just earn more overtime and wait them out, while the piss and moan about inedible dildo's or maritime law.

They most definitely have FLIR cameras watching for anyone trying to sneak out the back way. In that weather, it'll look as if someone set themselves on fire through infrared.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cygni posted:

FBI dudes are probably poutin' and jealous cause they cant smoke weed as a federal employee, despite it being legal in the state

Doesn't the federal government not recognize the state's legalization of marijuana? Hello, drug war charges.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

slidebite posted:

The government can fake the moon landing in 69 they can photo shop whatever they want now :911: :tinfoil:

Funny you say that, a professor at Oxford University did the numbers for four popular conspiracy theories compared to actual conspiracies that were revealed publicly like NSA Prism and the Tuskegee syphilis experiments. His math says that it would take almost a half-million conspirators to fake the moon landing given it's scope, but it would likely take 3 years for a whistleblower to show up to blow the whole thing wide open with no prior investigations. Conspiracies that get too big don't stay quiet for long.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

text editor posted:

Legally

It's not hard at all to get guns from a gunshow with a felony

These guys are going to be so famous to law enforcement that they'll probably won't be within 100 feet of a gun show.

Casimir Radon posted:

Ritzheimer and some other idiot allegedly threatened a BLM employee at a Safeway last year. Threatening to follow her homr and burn her house down. Then a trucm that looked like their's was seen lingering near her house. He's not going to need any dildos in prison.

I actually took it as they saw someone in a BLM shirt. It might not have been actually been a Bureau of Land Management, but them misreading a Black Lives Matter shirt.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I am The Fury posted:

Why is old Ronnie considered such a hero to these people if he went and sealed all of their service records thereby making it look like stolen valor? I'd be pretty pissed if I was a green hatted colonel but couldn't prove it.

Because if he didn't seal those records, then it would be direct evidence of terrorist actions by the United States against places like Nicaragua, San Salvador, and such, since America supported some lovely loving people like the Contras and Roberto D'Aubuisson that raped and murdered nuns, assassinated bishops, and mined commercial shipping harbors all in the name to prevent the spread of Communism in the Americas.

So, even if he was telling the truth, it would be because it's hiding that he's a really awful war criminal.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

red19fire posted:

Hahaha 'tactical retreat'. Does he mean the all the matching dribbles of poo poo leading to burned rubber streaks leading out of the compound once Ammon was captured? I don't think Washington was ever captured by the British, and his army actually fought and won some battles, most notably Trenton, one of the boldest moves in military history. But of course welfare queens screaming into youtube channels can't grasp this vital difference.

He's the coward that lasted longer than any of the other cowards, of course they disowned him. His continued occupation shames their inadequacy.

Also, Washington led an actual army, not a bunch of ragtag colonial militia.

If Fry dies by a federal bullet, they're still going to forget all that poo poo and elevate him to martyrdom, just like they did to Finicum.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

how many times have people actually won a federal case? i assumed federal was where they nailed you to a wall

There's a saying that, when dealing with the feds, the wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine. The feds want to make sure they have something before making their move.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cowman posted:

#snowangelfinicum :lol:

Holy poo poo, is that hashtag a joke on "he's no angel"?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

What's the stupid little chicken dance he does right before he gets shot? Is he trying to get his footing in the snow or indecision at trying to make a break for the truck?

The stupidest move had to be the decision to run in the first place. All you're going to do is die tired.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

During the press conference they said a federal agent was nearly hit. Sounds like the guy managed to jump out of the way.

Or the snow thrown up cushioned the impact or something. Because I'm looking at that it looks like he got sideswiped. You can see him on the ground a seconds later getting helped up by one of the officers who later shoots Finicum.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

And apparently he was milking the government for like 100k a year and using those foster kids as ranch hands.

I was theorizing that he probably did use the children as free labor on their ranch, but looking that they took nothing but boys and they ran through 50 of them in a decade tells me I'm not that far from the mark.

\/\/\/ Goddamnit :laffo:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

etalian posted:

It was free slave labor and also 110,000 per year from the private catholic charity per year.

The only thing that prevents me from just going out and saying it is I don't know the ages of the boys involved, but I can wager he was pulling them from mental hospitals and drug rehab that it's old enough to do hard labor.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Stupid enough to get shot by the feds, but clever enough to project an image of a wholesome god-fearing country life with strong family, blahblahfarrrt

If he was really smart, he would have paid his loving BLM fees to keep up the cover of being an upstanding citizen and not go out here to protest.

Fucker got greedy over $3000 and now he's in a body bag.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Random Number posted:

I'm glad this ended in bloodshed. Also I bet it's gonna come out in a couple weeks that tarpman diddled those foster kids.

Maybe or some of his grown foster sons will come forward and talk about him being a horrible slavedriver and how he tortured them, like sleep in a barn in underwear during winter, as a matter of discipline.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

What do you think that trooper's one-liner was after he domed Tarp Guy?

Blue tarps can't stop fed lead.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otisburg posted:

Plus you know, you know, that keyboard warrior is probably on Medicaid and seven other kinds of Evil Big Government programs to help him with his chronic respiratory and cognitive dissonance issues.

I'm really starting to be of the opinion that if you have to be on any kind of government welfare, you should swear loyalty and fealty to said government providing the welfare.

If you want to rant about abolishing the federal government, try surviving without those sweet, sweet benefits provided by them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FuhrerHat posted:

someone asked earlier in the thread but i really need to know if this cop was off in the woods taking a piss immediately before he popped lavoy with his unwashed hands

I have a feeling, since they had ample time to prepare, that the FBI and OSP probably had at least two guys in the woods just to form a crude security perimeter to prevent them from going off road or started making a run into the forest. Or setup an ambush like that, since they'd see most of law enforcement and concentrate their focus on them and not a couple dudes in the forest.

At least, that's what they'll say if no one fesses up.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

waitwhatno posted:

trump will pardon them, you'll see

Trump says a bunch of poo poo, doesn't mean it will actually happen.

When it first happened, he had already said if he was president, it would have been over by day one by arresting all these fuckers. But then, a bunch of his supporters were boosters of the Bundys. So, I could he believe he says one thing to appeal to his base, but already knowing he's not going to follow through on it.

I'm surprised with haven't heard Jon Ritzwhatever was an informant, given the unusual circumstances of his arrest. Santilli at least had someone videotaping his arrest to let other know he wasn't complying.

Young Freud has issued a correction as of 22:06 on Jan 29, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lolie posted:

Talking about snipers again. Gotta love how they justify their own paranoid delusions with "we heard that..."

If they wanted to shoot you, they'd just storm the refuge you stupid morons. They don't need snipers to pick you off one by one. There are only 4 of you.

That and when the police or FBI pull something like this, where the number of perps is a known deal, they usually go with something like 6 or 8 operators to 1 perp. There's usually a shield guy leading the "stick", followed by a guy with a beanbag shotgun or taser, then a bunch of marksmen covering them, watching the corners and providing lethal support fire if needed. Then a sniper and spotter team covering everyone else. All that for one person, especially if they're looking to take them alive.

A raid on these four is something like a 30-40 man operation, with maybe more manpower for distractions and aerial support.

Young Freud has issued a correction as of 07:40 on Jan 30, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lolie posted:

I was wondering about that. If a law enforcement officer gets injured or killed when poo poo finally goes down, can Bundy and Co get charged for that even though they're currently in custody, given their previously stated intentions?

Since they incited people to come up there, they're responsible for their actions.

It's also why the book is probably going to be thrown at them whenever the Feds do reclaim the refuge. That conspiracy charge might have a maximum six years imprisonment, but they're going to get with "Destruction Of Government Property", maximum 10 years if damages over $100, for any damage or cleanup done to the refuge and "Theft Of Government Property", maximum 10 years if property over $100, since at least one of them used the BLM trucks at the site. And that's if they didn't have warrants and if no one gets killed or anything.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lolie posted:

I doubt any please from Bundy are going to work. The hold-outs are either going to conclude that he's being coerced and doesn't really mean it or that he's selling them out to save his own skin.

I don't know what will persuaded them to leave though. Even if the authorities promise them "pardons" if they leave, they're going to think it's a trap anyway. They've really backed themselves into a corner.

That one guy with the warrants has a reason to resist to the death, because he's probably looking at life imprisonment at this point.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Demonachizer posted:

Why aren't they in one of the buildings? I thought they had access to them. It seems like they would be more comfortable.

I believe that the buildings are situated in a valley, so them sleeping in them would be a tactical disaster since the FBI could get the high ground. So, they decided to camp up on a hill to get a view of any action the Feds might try against them.

Of course, them camping on the hill is a strategic disaster, since they're now freezing cold with only the campfire to warm them in addition to their supplies running low.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DancingShade posted:

So after a few dozen fat crazy rednecks spent weeks living in that wildlife office on a diet mostly consisting of grilled cheese they're pretty much going to have to fumigate with napalm to get rid of the stink right?

Also replace like all of the office furniture, carpet and bathroom fittings.

Yep. All that's going to be considered a damage and, because cleaning and reupholstering and such are going to be in excess of $1000, it's likely going to result in at least one charge of "Destruction of Federal Property", maximum charge of ten years.

For example, we know they broke or smashed open the Paiute tribe exhibits because they videotaped that poo poo like they were loving ISIS or something.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

autoaim.cfg posted:

What in God's name would be their rationale for doing that?

Were they "liberating" the Native American stuff from Federal oppression or what?

I might have been exaggerating, but they did rifle through the storerooms at the refuge as if they were spoils of war. And, yes, that's exactly what they're claiming. Of course, the Bundys were also claiming that they had a right to handle those artifacts because they're part Native American or some bullshit.

The Guardian posted:

The militiamen stationed at a federal wildlife refuge in eastern Oregon are now rummaging through artifacts and documents of the Paiute tribe, sparking outrage among local Native Americans whose ancestors originally occupied the land.

LaVoy Finicum, one of the leaders of the armed protesters occupying the Malheur national wildlife refuge, posted a video of himself inside a government building looking through cardboard boxes of papers and other items associated with the local tribe – and inviting Paiute leaders to meet with the militia and reclaim their belongings.

“We want to make sure these things are returned to their rightful owner,” said Finicum, who recently helped destroy a US Fish and Wildlife Service fence and remove cameras that he claimed the government was using for surveillance.

“I feel disrespected that they’re even out there,” said Jarvis Kennedy, the tribal council’s sergeant-at-arms. Kennedy said he was too upset to watch all of Finicum’s video. “It’s like me going through their drawers at their house.”

Tribe leaders and federal officials say the refuge stores confidential documents and thousands of historic artifacts, such as baskets, spears, tools and beads. The refuge is also home to Paiute burial grounds, making the militia’s recent decision to pave a road through the refuge particularly alarming.

“I could go to the Bundys where his grandparents are buried,” Kennedy said. “How would they feel if I drove over their grave and went through their heirlooms?”

In his video, Finicum said that he was showing how the wildlife refuge has done a poor job maintaining the artifacts and keeping storage rooms clean. “This needs to be taken care of, and so we’re reaching out to the Paiute people in the sincerest manner as we can,” he said on camera. “Let’s make sure that we take care of the heritage of the Native American people.”

Added militia member Blaine Cooper: “The rightful owners need to come back and claim their belongings.”

Kennedy noted that the militiamen have had no trouble leaving and returning to the refuge and feared one of them might damage or steal their artifacts and documents. “All the stuff they are doing out there, it’s like a crime scene,” he said. “Once this is done, we’ll see what’s missing.”

autoaim.cfg posted:

Do you remember which of the videos that was? I'd like to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzFhWAcu3i0

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

this is actually an ice cold burn on an Israeli even though the dude making it is a retard

lol

Also, he left him wide open going to the Nazis because the best retort would be something like Finicum had more in common with Hitler, such as illegal occupation, slave labor, and writing a horrible book, than with the Jews.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Goatfather posted:

cliven bundy (the dad) has decided his son is a bitch and has declared himself the leader of the 4 people remaining at the refuge and issued new demands

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/01/oregon-armed-militia-standoff-cliven-ammon-bundy-malheur-national-wildlife-refuge

Sheriff Ward needs to send a reply that he doesn't take complaints from non-resident citizens, especially out-of-staters, since the office of sheriff is a local position, and that if he wishes to file a complaint, he can visit the sheriff's office in Harney County in person. :smug:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

If this whole thing turns Cliven Bundy from 'I'm above the government' to 'please don't make me serve all 150 years, I'm an old man,' I'm all loving for it.

This, so much this. I'm half expecting him to get lured up there and ambushed by the FBI as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

Kids don't cost that much money if you do it on the cheap, but he was probably saving for cars and college for them.

For 50 of them over 10 years? Because, remember, those really weren't his kids.

VikingSkull posted:

or he was using the kids as free labor on his ranch, and he spent the money on guns and self-publishing apocalyptic fan fiction, one or the other

This. I think he and his wife had biological children, who are all grown now. The foster children were all boys taken from mental institutions and drug rehab so they could perform hard labor.