Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Twitter isn’t lacking in disinfo, toxicity, or stupidity by any means, but I’m pretty sure it’s facilitated fewer genocides than Facebook. Between the two, I’d rather see Meta go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh I agree, Facebook/Meta is a far worse company, but it will live longer than Twitter unless Twitter gets sold to someone else who isn't a huge idiot troll
Yeah, agreed. Facebook is one of THE ad companies, while Twitter isn’t exactly looking enticing to advertisers anymore. I imagine MyPillow will be on there though.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
People telling advertisers their thoughts is…also free speech?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
He bragged for ages about how little he sleeps. Maybe his brain just plain turned to mush.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
This is the best possible use of account verification. :bisonyes:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1590794421418790935
I guess the PR people didn’t write enough lines of code to make the cut.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Elon could probably make a living on Cameo if it came to that.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It’s shocking how every time someone tries extreme libertarianism, they quickly find out that actually some rules are there for a reason. And that you may even need something like, oh I don’t know, a governing body to enforce them.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
3 months of paid time off, and just in time for the holidays? Sounds like a better deal than continuing to work for this guy. I would say “unless they are in a financially precarious position,” but job security isn’t remotely a thing there anymore anyway, so

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Imagine if Twitter were sabotaged by an insider.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I can’t help but think that tech CEOs and VCs can’t say anything bad about Musk because they themselves have too many financial ties to him, or to what he represents. Musk is the very embodiment of Silicon Valley hype and (perceived) innovation, and if he comes crashing down, what does that mean? Especially as all these other superstar companies/leaders are having tons of their own problems (like Zuck), or have long since gone to poo poo (Theranos, WeWork, etc).

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
And Derry Girls just ended.

They also have The Great British Baking Show…too bad it loving sucks.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

I for one will never forget Qwikster
Did that site actually launch, or did they work on it for a while and say "actually nah, we'll stick with the Netflix branding"?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I kept my subscription to the DVD service for a long time because they had older/indie stuff that wasn't available (at least then) on streaming.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Some farseeing employee did this preemptively to stall Elon’s “git push —force”

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
His mythical 20-hour work day is necessary because he spends 18 of those searching for his name and shitposting.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ofecks posted:

20 years ago (!) I was working at a supermarket. Part of the orientation was some informational materials that said grocery retail operates on an extremely thin profit margin, like 1% or less. Who knows how accurate that is because the chain I worked for was extremely anti-union so most of us were paid minimum wage.
Same, and at both that job and another one, part of my training involved watching an anti-union propaganda video.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
When I was visiting my parents today, they had a repairman at their house to look at their malfunctioning fridge. He spent a decent amount of time ranting about how modern appliances break a lot faster than older ones. He said he regularly has to condemn fridges that are a year old or so.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last time I was in a Walmart they had a pretty big party section. The big box stores for the most part will have what people need.
They don’t have someone say “welcome to the party” when you walk in though.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

je1 healthcare posted:

Wow, I can't believe that Hollywood beancounters never considered this. It seems so obvious!
Maybe they should pivot to anime?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I’ve been getting emails from MoviePass about their re-launch. Perhaps they’ll save the theaters? :buddy:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn’t this the re-re-launch? I’ve lost track
They have to be one of the most baffling companies ever. In 2018, my wife and I both joined with a prepaid $8/mo plan. Tickets cost like $15 per person where we lived at the time. If we went to the movies even once a month - and we did - MoviePass was losing money on us.

I assumed from the pricing that it was some kind of temporary movie studio investment set up to harvest data on moviegoing habits. Nope. The company was just that dumb.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

value-brand cereal posted:

That person who said they bought a black panther movie ticket via that app subscription just to use the bathrooms which were better than the malls bathroom was the best use of that service. Godspeed you, man.
lmao

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Maybe she clicked a pi symbol on the bottom of the page.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
When they say their sales are down 50% since 2020, I can't help but wonder how their sales looked that year vs previous years, and how sales now look compared to, say, 2018-2019. Because people bought an awful lot of home cooking crap during 2020.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Are there any NFTs/kinds of NFTs that are still worth anything at this point or has the whole thing gone up in smoke?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RagnarokZ posted:

None of them were ever worth anything, but the answer is a resounding no.
Yes but I guess I'm asking whether there are still rubes who will fork over lots of money for them or if the rubes are all busy being conned by something else now.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Twitter's refusal to pay their bills is a bold strategy. Let's see if it works out for them.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

If today is any indication it’s working great!
I just want to see them evicted from their SF office for not paying rent. Never thought I'd cheer for a landlord, but here we are.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Did he fire a ton of software testing people during the early layoff rounds? I can't imagine many of them made the cut via his insanely dumb "# of commits/lines of code" metric

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The left has gone too far this time!!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The article ends with

quote:

He continues to stand by his debunked claims, insisting that machines were used to steal the election and filing an endless series of lawsuits, including one he claimed was “a class-action lawsuit against all machines.”
"a class-action lawsuit against all machines" is quite the line as well.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Selling machines to fund a lawsuit against machines

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Elon made so many obviously terrible choices with Twitter, it almost seems more parsimonious to think that he's deliberately killing the site.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ultrafilter posted:

He's shredding his reputation in the process, though. I think it's more likely that some of the people who encouraged him to buy it or who provided funding wanted to see Twitter go away and figured Elon was the man for the job.
Yeah, so much stuff is astroturfed these days that this crossed my mind as well.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It will never not be funny that he made blue-checked bots possible after complaining so much about the number of bots in the site.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Desert Bus posted:

their bloatware removal service comes bundled with MORE bloatware and you can't un-intertwine the two.
That's the beauty of it! It's a self-perpetuating product.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
3 direct denials? geez.

I had to say "no I don't want this lovely offer because I don't want your service at all" like 10 times when cancelling the Sirius XM trial that came with my car. Even if their service weren't obsolete, I'd never go back on general principle. They still send me marketing stuff all the time anyway.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Chaotic Flame posted:

I hate that human psychology makes this work. So many "sales" that aren't worth anything. I'm sad JCPenney (I think) failed when they just lowered prices instead of having sales.
Love all the "today only, 20% off!"-type marketing emails I got literally every single day from certain companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

canyoneer posted:

I didn't know this story so I looked it up

https://twitter.com/NeerajKA/status/1173997679363407872

It's a great story
lmao