Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Solice Kirsk posted:

The gently caress? How the hell fast was he going?

Forklifts are pretty much designed to take out support columns. Lifting things is secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

calvus posted:

Is that real? Why don't more people do that?

because it ruins osha threads

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

"Hes alive, broke his back in 2 spots, broke both legs, and shattered his face, but hes great. Walking and talking. Dudes a champ!!! This video was from last year. I didn't post it until I knew he was ok."

Check your zipline speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaX_XktU34Y

poo poo looks treepunk as hell

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

He was questioning the use of two different metals for the electrodes, and I believe the reason for this is to create that oxidization effect you see in the two glasses of water. Basically, using the dissimilar metals on those poles, in any kind of un-pure water would cause rapid oxidization of the iron/steel based rod, which is why he mentioned distilled water. So, to make a glass appear clear, you either have to somehow disable one set of electrodes or use purified water. Though I could be wrong, it's been ages since I took materials class and why metals rust.

No you got it, its also the exact same reason why the navy's newest boat dissolves in water.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

You can barely see it but there's some thin netting as the only thing remotely resembling a safety feature.

he also nearly manages to put his arm into the blades during an early test run crash

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I'd assume the vaporization is just dad hyperbole but that charred remains were there to figure out what happened

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

nice trick but how you gonna get down dummy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

aren't the worst decay products no longer an issue after a hundred years anyway

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Blistex posted:

You want nuclear waste to be touched by absolutely nobody for the rest of all time? Bury it 50 feet underground where there are no natural resources at all. I'm talking about in the middle of the most useless, burned out, patch of worthless desert in the US. Now who the hell is going to bother to exert the effort to dig 50 feet down in an area where they know they are going to get nothing useful and it's uncomfortable to work in? Nobody. The only way someone will find it is if they are walking around with some sort of device that detects radiation, and when they find it they will say, "oh, there are trace amounts of radiation that are 400 times background levels. . . better move along".

Putting some sort of a marker near nuclear waste is the absolutely worst thing you could ever do, as you are literally marking the location and creating interest in the site.

or hell to make extra sure and use an oil rig to dig a deep rear end hole at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico and then cap it with cement

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i'm kinda amazed he actually stepped into the water and then still dived in headfirst

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zedprime posted:

Yeah, sure, you just happened to slip onto that dowel.

"I swear doc, million to one shot"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ranbo das posted:

Googled mosquito hawk and I have no idea why you'd let those things live

they don't do anything except fly around poorly and be huge

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Why wouldn't they just copy the Apollo program after the fire and make the door open outwards?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Randyslawterhouse posted:

Christ :aaa:

What if he hadn't had a knife? Do you reckon you could kill a sleeping bear with your bare hands?!

more difficult bear killings have been done

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

- "later shitlords"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

why wouldn't you just buy a chainsaw since that doesn't even do anything special

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

eh the crew doesn't need to escape do they

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

haha it's even got the little old lady slowly shuffling for her life

her shriek as she notices the boat is the best

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Translation please? I don't speak Army.

enemy infantry kept crawling up on the tank because the british army decided early version centurion tanks didn't need a machine gun. crews jury rigged brownings to the commanders cupola in order to fight off infantry and they had the added benefit of catching low hanging wires put up the signals corps. tank commanders that rode with their head sticking out of the hatch were apparently getting caught on them.

and then he stole a bunch of cable car wiring from seoul

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Generally everything related to military rocketry is bad news for your health, even if it's not a missile being fired at your wedding. For the Titan II specifically, both the fuel (hydrazine) and the oxidizer (N2O4) are toxic as well as corrosive.

Also if hydrazine and N2O4 come into contact they will instantly explode.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

How expensive is mercury? Because 250 lbs sounds pretty drat costly.

If this is the same guy I'm thinking of, he mines and smelts his own

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

could have been worse. the chinese once bombed one of their own villages after a rocket failed in 1996. officially it killed 6 but since it's the chinese government and they lie about everything the death toll was probably much higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelsat_708

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOtSwQkybVw

warning for loud chinese yelling when poo poo goes down.

the chinese also have a habit of dropping rocket parts over their own territory and sickening villagers foolish enough to get too close to the debris. rocket fuel is not something you want to breath.

I mean i shouldn't be surprised given how lax safety is on everything the chinese do but how the gently caress do you get this far in a space program without developing the concept of the range safety officer

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

qkkl posted:

Nah, modern ICBMs use solid propellants, which are pretty safe. They stopped using the hypergolic ones cause they eroded the tanks when stored for too long. I still find it pretty funny that the Space Shuttle had no launch escape system. Spend billions of dollars on your next-gen manned space vehicle, but make it so the crew is guaranteed to die if the bomb they are riding on happens to blow up.

no it had an escape system, it was literally a zipline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--QoLPzvXOQ

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I hope bitcoins are the environmental disaster that finally does humanity in, it'd be too perfect

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

please please please cite a source on this - I want to be able to share it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Bond

e:lmao he died in Jackass Flats

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 30, 2016

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

quote:

When a mock attack at the guard gate at Area 51 occurred, in 1982, test flights of the F‑117 - which only ever happened at night - were already in full swing. For some weeks, a debate raged as to how an act of idiocy by a small group of Wackenhut Security guards nearly outed a billion-dollar aircraft as well as two top secret military test facilities that had remained secret for thirty years.

man who would have guessed the rent a cops from WACKENHUT SECURITY were morons

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Also there's the issue of funding. Anything more than 2 guys in a pickup truck will need allocation of taxpayer funds and we are never ever allowed to increase taxes unless you are from communist poo poo hole like California.

lol being able to pass taxes is a relatively new status in California since you need a supermajority to do anything. the democrats just got the supermajority back after losing it due to an assembly member being arrested for international arms deals

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

why don't they look?

you're deep ernie

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm kind of intrigued as to what the OD symptoms are.

according to his wife he died from a heart attack in a movie theater

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

Their sanity is the limiting factor on deployment length as it is.

well that and storage space for food

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So I started working at a new place. I cannot get everyone to stop climbing up the wooden rungs on the carpet sample wall that's like 25 feet high over a hardwood floor. So they're grabbing onto a wooden rung that has a carpet sample draped over it and putting their feet onto a rung with a carpet sample draped over it. Also I'm not worried about repercussions because they do this poo poo IN FRONT OF CUSTOMERS.

This happens multiple times a day. Does anyone have any applicable laws or maybe a link to some facts about fall injuries? Because I know if someone falls down and hurts themselves the company's going to go "welp, we had ladders there, you're screwed."

if by any chance your name is roy you might wanna get screened for cancer asap

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

At least they were caught before their wildcard cut the brake lines

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

What the gently caress, root canals on teeth that they know will be temporary?

its probably better to keep them in there until they're ready to fall out on their own. I lost some baby teeth years before their replacements grew in and the spacing between my permanent teeth was all hosed up

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh gently caress i remember this one, the local news station interviewed the crew before the crash and then played the interview right before airing the crash footage

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mozi posted:

Why do I get the sense that they don't really have any idea of what to do?

from the article the emergency spillway isn't actually a proper spillway so its better to keep using the damaged one until it stops raining and they can begin repairs

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh well i'm sure its not going to rain in oroville for like the next two weeks or anything

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Oroville+CA+95966:4:US

uh oh

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean Jerry Brown has been working for several years to get a major reworking of the dam and levee system, but he has had to fight farming interests tooth and nail because it means that they wont be able to waste as much water on crops not suited for the region

uhh i'm sorry sir but we have to STOP THE GOVERNMENT CREATED DROUGHT STOP THE TUNNELS ARGLEBARGLE

driving up and down highway 99 sure is fun

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

FMguru posted:

Not tonight it isn't...

it never is

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Ramadu posted:

SO heres the funniest thing about the Governator. He's a republican because when he came to america in the 70s one of the first things he saw on TV was a speech by Nixon. That's why he's a republican, though he's pretty much a RINO at this point like so many others.

eh he buys into their economic policies but not to the extent that others do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, yeah, the problem with americas crumbling infrastructure isn't for lack if it being inspected. All of it gets inspected to hell and back, it just that once the reports are turned in, the beancounters go "Sorry, no money.", and poo poo is left to rot.

We joke in this thread about "it ain't worth fixing until somebody dies", but that is literally americas policy these days on infrastructure spending. "Oh, it could go bad in the future? gently caress it, it's the present, not my problem or my money."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfrJzdx7DA