Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sagebrush posted:

e: then again you're from a country that puts dishes back in the cupboard while they're still wet so maybe you're equally hosed up about showers

This is actually the best thing ever and all other systems are inferior stone age BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

They can also turn your index finger into a thumb via procedure called pollicization.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

dis astranagant posted:

It's more often used to correct birth defects.

Exactly, got some personal experience with this procedure (my twin boys) and it's worked out quite well for them (1, 2). They don't really cut anything off, more like they move it around. You won't have the same amount of movement or pinch strength but it's an improvement nonetheless.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Groda posted:

:catstare:
I'm guessing that wasn't in Sweden.

No? Guy is talking swedish without an accent and the roadsigns looks typical of the type in the nordic countries.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I know a guy who knew a guy who died last friday. Got crushed to death by his truck. Was working on the engine and that requires the whole cabin to be lifted up on hydraulics. Well it seems they failed and he got stuck... Seems like a really lovely way to go.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ABAB. All Billionaires Are Bastards

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Carbon dioxide posted:

French tourists get out of their car in a cheetah enclosure in a drive-through Safari park in the Netherlands.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-44086107/cheetahs-chase-family-at-safari-park

They're drat lucky that little child wasn't mauled.

They're lucky it was cheetahs who aren't top predator in their own environment and who are behaviorally more skittish and less aggressive than say lions or tigers. Dolph C. Volker has a lot of big cat videos on youtube and cheetahs in particular.

E: I guess this was all hashed out a while ago, I take too long to check up on this thread.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Blast of Confetti posted:

for real tho who are those guys living exactly in the middle of australia thousands of miles away from everyone else

TBH it sounds pretty awesome to live like that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

GotLag posted:

Crepes are tastier and only require three ingredients: flour, egg and milk

Yeah this. There's even a saying here to that effect "Lätt som en plätt". "Easy as crepes".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Enourmo posted:

The branch chewer at 12:20-ish is pretty hilarious too, but a lot of those have either slow action (lots of time to walk to safety) or low amounts of kinetic energy, and in no way can be called proper farm-rigged deathtraps.

I'm sure this has been posted 10 million times in here by now but here's a proper :stonk: contraption:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ejWHlPLaE

How about an actually nice one for a change:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-XcO7mcD0

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

^^^^
Was this photo taken at the cool-aid hospital?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I dunno, the positive stop spring loaded safety bar is pretty OSHA, not gonna lie. The dude is even wearing ear pro! This is the old salty gently caress slavic dude who saw some poo poo and refused to be like his one eyed, one armed drinking buddies.

This guy is swedish though, not slavic.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Synthbuttrange posted:

Get your piping hot lava here!

Yeah sure until some grandma burns herself, sues and we'll only get lukewarm lava again.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cable Guy posted:

Non subscription locked link from the ABC.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/beloved-terrier-eaten-by-a-crocodile-it-had-taunted-for-a-decade/9840026

(Uh... oh gently caress, it has a link to a facebook vid)
:stare:

Am I not supposed to side with the gator?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Can't they just bring in more pumps? Surely mankind has enough and big enough pumps to show any old cave what for?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm sure this can suck off the cave to the point it has an orgasm.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Perestroika posted:

Elon Musk is going to kill a dozen children.

So nothing new then.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Saukkis posted:

I'm so glad a I grew up in Finland where screw taps were obsolete and Oras was the monopoly before I was born. Up and down to adjust water volume, turn left for hot water, turn right for cold. In the middle the water is somewhere between lukewarm and handwarm. It's so nice to wash your hands when the default is warm water.

Finland here, my parents got an Oras screw tap in their upper bathroom. House built 1977. It's actually a mixer tap though, just got two knobs you adjust, personally I think it rules. And it's still in perfect working order. Quality.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Some homemade OSHA to report here. My parents are greenhouse farmers and grow tomatoes and cucumbers and other stuff hydroponically. Well they're getting old and this will be their last season, which is probably as well.

I was recently informed that last week my dad was climbing around near the top of the greenhouses because he had repairing something, don't remember what, something with the ventilation hatches perhaps. It was probably 12 meters or more up in the air when something he was standing on gave out and he only managed to not fall by getting his arms around a nearby beam, so imagine the scene, a 66 year old man hanging in the air by his arms 12 meters up in the air above a sea of tomato plants and trying to get his footing back. Fortunately he did or we wouldn't have talked to him this weekend about it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

So glad we don't use gas here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Same in swedish, högspänning, högspänningsledningar etc

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Got some potential for OSHA coming up soon, a truck will be delivering a deckel fp2 milling machine, I am somewhat worried the guy will screw up when unloading it, it will be delivered via truck with a liftgate. Here's hoping I won't be crushed, or worse, the machine will be damaged.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rad-daddio posted:

Deckels aren't cheap milling machine. pls post pics either way.

It went fine, pretty undramatic really, down and indoors pretty quickly. Worst part was it did not fit through the doorway into the room I wanted it. But whatever. I might have to rethink my shop layout entirely anyway.

Detailed pics here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2905844&perpage=40&pagenumber=312#post489662699

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tzarnal posted:

Yeah, even one complete interruption of the flow would put it out. Also that would be The Worst loving Idea.

At this point its safer to let it burn at that controlled rate and get it cut off at the closest viable cutoff point really loving quick.

Man gently caress gas lines, so glad we only have to deal with electricity and water here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

About to try and lift my 1.2 metric ton milling machine at home, got myself a 2 ton harbor freight crane last night. Heavy machine lifting is always a very OSHA thing so wish me luck. Just want it up so I can pull away the pallet and let it sit on the floor for now.

Next step comes later, putting it on machine skates for actually moving it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

No but that's a clever idea for moving a heavy machine. I have a lever hoist like that. But I already got the crane. That thing's bigger than what I got, partially disassembled here, in need of repair and cleaning. Gonna need the crane just to lift of the Z-axis saddle.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I started watching that confederate beard guy and I am empathizing with him on the motor issues, the motor housing on my machine is looking like that as well, though I think the motor is sealed at least.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

drunkill posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DXXQIAw.mp4

do the soapy water test please

At least it's just propane, it won't burn back into the line like acetylene or oxygen would, it's quite a lot safer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

jemand posted:

If you do not use the nitrite salt, you get botulism cured meats which is nice and osha on its own.

Here's a lovely blog which not only gives great instructions on how to make wonderful homemade bacon, but has a nice footnote explainer about nitrites, botulism, meat, etc: https://nwedible.com/you-can-make-bacon-at-home/

Here's a post complaining about the "no nitrites added" consumer labels, which always just use celery juice (in order not to kill you from botulism): http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/

Lastly, just for botulism avoidance completeness, here's a nice graphical approach to learning how to can things without killing people: https://nwedible.com/how-not-to-die-from-botulism-what-home-canners-need-to-know-about-the-worlds-most-deadly-toxin/

A traditional christmas food in Finland is the ham and christmas ham in finland is often different because it's only salted and thus grey. The ham can be bought in stores, but loads of people cure their own hams. It's then oven baked to some temp, depending on your tastes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Supradog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ks_lbtgJSw&t=109s

Yeah, no thanks. The rope to pull with, the wood bouncing everywhere, the speed of the flywheel. Frankly the whole mechanism.

The first one looked pretty OK to me, slow going and high torque.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

chitoryu12 posted:

I really like that upon seeing the giant child in the background, your first instinct was to try and justify the existence of giants.

Welcome to tiny truck world, Winston.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

ive seen all kinds of crazy poo poo with chainsaws kicking, chainsaws flying through the air, etc.... that one made my jaw drop

Nearly his, too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeeeah I'm gonna need an explanation here.

It's an electric car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Drone_Fragger posted:

Or in WW1, there was something like 11 battles in a row they lost at the same river and mountain pass system because it was the only way out of Italy to armoured vehicles.

Also logically Italy’s army has always been a mess, they kept focusing on things like huge tanks ad artillery pieces, despite the fact the entire north of the country is mountains and mountain passes, where such equipment is too slow to be of use.

Shoulda stuck to legions