Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Remove hinges, rehang door. Steps 1 and 2 of the post-install toilet reactivation process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Spatial posted:

drat, that's hosed up. Hundreds of people died so some random dipshit politician could save face.

Most heart-wrenching part was an interview with one of the survivors, detailing how much screaming/crying/begging there was, and how it slowly stopped as the night went on.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ramadu posted:

Those are the best parts of the movie though and the movie could have used about 40 more minutes of hilarious bureaucracy

If you like hilarious bureaucracy, check out The Pentagon Wars, with Kelsey Grammar!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Obsurveyor posted:

Also, when everything is inevitably hacked from the Internet of lovely Things with Even Shittier Security, hackers can force blood curdling screams to play at 2 in the morning and wake you up and have the neighbors call the cops. Uptick in paranormal investigation business though.

If a hacker reprograms all of my incredibly ill advised lovely chinese Hue knockoffs and just fucks with me by playing the Shodan hacker bits at me while flickering the lights at 3 am, I'd honestly be impressed.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RyokoTK posted:

There's still a concussive effect to flashbang grenades, so I would assume exploding one in a bedroom would be fine if you don't mind permanently damaging someone that you want to STOP RESISTING!!! but maybe you don't want to murder.

The issue that occurs often enough is you get 10 keyed up cops for a no knock raid on someone, they flashbang the poor fucker while he's sleeping, then storm in and scream to get on the ground and stop resisting. So now you're suddenly woken up, concussed, can't see or hear, and your sense of balance is completely gone, and now have a bunch of strangers in your house screaming a bunch of poo poo at you at the top of their lungs. He staggers around drunkenly and lurches towards an officer, who then shoots him dead.

They later learn that they served the warrant to the wrong house. Police department determines there was no wrongdoing, case closed. Also, they shot his dog.

Demonstrating the effects of a flashbang in a courtroom is a stroke of genius if they were angling to get the cops to admit that is a massively disorienting effect and nobody can be reasonably expected to do anything except wallow in misery for a minute or so after it happens. Probably good enough to get the resisting arrest and assaulting an officer charges dropped.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Now I kinda wanna make some kind of hilarious potato cannon and fire increasingly unlikely objects at poo poo to see how well they penetrate things. Gotta recreate that picture of a chunk of wheat straw that was driven through an oak tree.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also firefighters really loving hate people who block hydrants and they take an ENORMOUS amount of joy in being able to legally smash the gently caress out of their poo poo:

In a lot of states, the fact that the hoses were touching bits of broken out glass means they need to be replaced and they bill the owner of the car for a new set of 4" hoses.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

When we touch! When we kiss!

Danger! Danger!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Phanatic posted:

It's not about the RP-1, it's about the cryogenic oxygen.

Cryogenic oxygen is some loving terrifying poo poo. If you gently caress up and set it off, it'll burn stainless steel tubing like it's det cord all the way back to a flange or bulkhead too large to flash-heat and burn. A match, a charcoal briquette, and a cup full of LOX is enough to commit a very :science: suicide, since the total energy of the charcoal is liberated as heat in like 20 milliseconds. An uncontrolled LOX/airframe fire would be brief, energetic, and very very loud.

AirLiquide won't even sell it to random people without a safety signoff in a lot of areas, after too many people didn't take the 'degrease everything or die horribly' warnings seriously.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Gunshow Poophole posted:

ok so "cryogenic" is just a fancy word for liquid oxygen which, of necessity, is cold at standard pressure. i was thinking there was some sort of turbo-version

Technically any kind of LOX is cryogenic, but the stuff SpaceX is using is a special kind of awful. You get it about 40K colder than the boiling point and it gets measurably denser, which is super great if you have a finite amount of space to cram it into. Less super great if that finite amount of space doesn't have a very robust bleedoff mechanism when large portions of it suddenly become 12-14% larger by volume, while still being an otherwise incompressible fluid.

Phanatic posted:

Anything you're going to launch a rocket into space with is some loving terrifying poo poo. Dimethylhydrazine? Red fuming nitric acid?

Super high purity Peroxide is also an amazing nightmare inducing pile of horror. Nothing else in the panoply of fun chemicals rockets use is able to basically melt the poor bastard fueling the rocket into goo in 60 seconds or less.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 7, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EoRaptor posted:

Chlorine Triflouride would like to have a word with you. It's outside, on the giant pile of burning asbestos.

They managed to synthesize chlorine pentafloride, which will do interesting things, like florinate gold, and occasionally the Nobel gasses. From a purely analytic chemistry standpoint, it was the best possible oxidizer. The downside, the huge quantity of hilarious fluorinated RP1 exhaust put a bit of a damper on it.

IPCRESS posted:

What if my degreasing procedure is to hose stuff down with LOX?

Brought to you by the same lads who decided using a lighter to check inside the used gasoline tanker cars was a bright idea.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I have a gallon of 50% H202 in my freezer, and can confirm that, even at its relatively low concentration, it will burn you just like any acid. I use it to clean metal parts of any organic matter. 90% H202, which is what's normally used as rocket oxidizer/fuel must be horrifying to work with.

H2O2 is great because it can readily catalyze itself into O2 and 700C steam, catalysts include fire retardant clothing, humans, asphalt, and most forms of greases and oils. It also has a very strong bleaching effect. One of these days someone is gonna convince the smarter ever day dude, or the high speed camera guys to play around with bits of meat and 90% H2O2, and it'll be glorious.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GotLag posted:

noble

Because they're snobs and won't react

I am irate, irate I tell you, that autocorrect has led me astray once more!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yep. I treat the 50% H202 as if it were Aqua Regia. It can turn nasty on you really fast.

It's ability to foam up almost instantly to 50x it's original volume is always an eye opener to see in person.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 8, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah you really shouldn't underestimate lower strength earthquakes when it comes to buildings/infrastructure not made with earthquakes in mind.

That's a nice overpass you got there, be a shame is something happened to it, like, say a 6.5 earthquake!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dessert poutine

Somewhere in Canada this is a thing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Relentless posted:

That being said, not even vulcanologists drink as hard as the paleontologists.

I had a weird childhood.

Tell us more of your alcoholic dino-guys.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

haveblue posted:

If the plate isn't supported all the way to the edge, there are spots where the weight of a person would lever it up.

And the only difference between an industrial macerator and the underside of an escalator is the macerator will at least kill you quicker than the escalator gears will.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Helpful illustration of the underside of an escalator

It's too clean. It needs gear oil that has the consistency of peanut butter, a respectable coating of filth, and the pulverized remains of at least three good sized rats. Rust is also appropriate, but should be kept to tasteful malignant neglect, rather than slathering it on and going for the outdoor scrapyard chic look.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Memento posted:

Well if you get a job somewhere else, after you've given notice, if they don't walk you off site, you know what to do.

The term for that is Malicious Compliance. Do every single thing by the book, regardless of if it's stupid or not.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Wrong thread, it's even got a safety feature!

(this thing is super cool)

I dunno, the positive stop spring loaded safety bar is pretty OSHA, not gonna lie. The dude is even wearing ear pro! This is the old salty gently caress slavic dude who saw some poo poo and refused to be like his one eyed, one armed drinking buddies.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 28, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RabbitWizard posted:

He probably got blinded (if lucky only for a few seconds or minutes) and that's why he didn't move.

And deafened, and possibly with a mild to moderate concussion. Arc flashes are nothing to gently caress with.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Three-Phase posted:

So I was looking at cryogenic power cables - I think you can get high-temperature superconducting cables rated for 4160V, three phases, at 2000+ amps in a single cable with liquid nitrogen pumped through the center.

So if there’s a failure you might simultaneously get:
- Shocked
- Arc flashed/arc blasted
- Frozen

The point of failure in the cable will act almost like a bolted fault, so in addition to 2000 amps suddenly trying to get conducted through a wire roughly 8 gauge, you'll have all the liquid nitrogen violently boiling off.

So arc flashed, with extra bits of ceramic grit and insulation in the blast, your lungs will be extremely displeased both by the low oxygen content AND the fact that the nitrogen is still like -100 F, and if you're a preferential ground path you learn why you shouldn't be.

All in all A+ would watch on a low res security camera feed again.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

tangy yet delightful posted:

Lava has metal in it so it's obviously magnetic so obviously make a house floating on a big rear end neodymium foundation!

Lave is above the Curie point, so no, it's not magnetic :science:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

spankmeister posted:

Thorium is 10-20 years out just like fusion is 20-30 years out.

In the meantime let's destroy the environment some more!

Modern advances in high temp Gen 2 REBCO magnet tapes are probably gonna get fusion working within our lifetime. The fusion power works on the 4th power of the magnetic field, which does some really :psyduck: poo poo to scaling costs. Bringing the magnet's peak field from 11.8-ish tesla in the ITER, which is so large and thus expensive you need to be the EU to afford to build one, to 20T in some of the computed designs using the new tapes lowers the cost by a factor of 10-500x, depending on the exact topology. Some of the cool things the tapes let you go also means you can get the fucker apart for quick servicing, vs. what's basically a fukushima reactor cleanup level effort to service the reactor that ITER style designs will need.

Bring the tapes to gen 3 with field strengths in the 25-30 tesla range, and the reactor core becomes small enough to fit in shipping container, and the much MUCH cheaper shielding takes up the majority of the space. Bonus points are that the shielding is low level waste, which can be safely buried in a sandy hole in the ground for 20 years while it decays out to safe-for-handling levels, and that there are no energetic daughter products involved in the waste stream. The most active and actively dangerous thing it produces is the tritium it uses for fuel, which is much too precious to do something stupid like contaminate water with.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Phanatic posted:

Great. You still don't have a material that can withstand the huge number of displacements per atom caused by the intense neutron bombardment of DT fusion. You can't commercialize it if you need to replace your reactor vessel every few years. Ditto for the PFCs, we still don't know what to build them out of that won't sputter off into the plasma and ruin everything. ITER's aiming forr Q=10 at best, for commercial fusion power you need at least Q=20.

We're not going to get commercial fusion working within our lifetime. My money's on "never."

If you change the design of the magnets to a separable clamshell , which the tapes allow, you can pull the entire reactor core out as one big stainless steel unit. If you use a molten lithium salt as the breeder material, thermal transfer system, and neutron shield, you cut down on the tremendous issues with displacement effects, because 99% of the shielding is a liquid, and immune to it.

The PFCs might just be regular wear items and subject to rebuild on a yearly basis. Once you're able to just pull the magnets apart and lift the entire core out, commercial scale modular component fabrication and subassembly shops start making sense, and drive costs down substantially. Even the entire reactor body could be a wear/consumable item. If you need to make 3 of something a year, it's loving stupid expensive. If you need to make 3000 of them, suddenly the tooling costs needed to do it efficiently and cheaply start to make a lot more sense.

A lot of engineering problems can be solved via 'it's cheap enough to throw away when it wears out'.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Lone Badger posted:

...tax authorities do not gently caress around.

The best part is all the stupid poo poo people try to do to filter the dye out of the diesel. Hilarious breaking bad style distillery setups all to avoid the fuel taxes.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jabor posted:

Presumably "road" here means "a public road that the government owns and maintains". You can do as you please on any access ways you've built on your own property.

Yep, if the government doesn't have to pay to maintain it, you can do whatever you want on it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sagebrush posted:

so is there a reason that cop had to pull up behind the car and dump two magazines into the general vicinity of the driver's seat while driving with one hand instead of, say, hanging back and following from a safe distance while some other cops set up a roadblock

Yeah, they other car is actively shooting at the cop cars. Policy in that case is to work as fast as you can to neutralize the threat, which in this case means playing bumper cars and wrecking your windshield.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

If southpark doesn't manage to work a Bezos and Gore manbearpig reference in, I'll be kinda sad.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
The payoff was very very much worth it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m imagining the Hamburgler, but wearing a high-vis vest and cackling while stealing work trucks.

Nah, the act of Fuckling a truck is the reason why the CDL requires the driver to perform the 27 point inspection of the truck and trailer before driving the load. A true truckfuckler will perform acts of subtle sabotage, such that the poor driver is stuck broken down in Bat Country, suddenly veers off the road into oncoming traffic due to a broken steering wheel pinon, or has the entire load fall off the back at highway speeds.

The Hamburgler has nothing on the Truckfuckler.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

(tapping a jagged piece of metal with my extremely fancy pen) aha. there's your culprit. the coupling was fuckled beyond the fatigue point. infestation of automodius fuckulatus at the factory most likely, gonna have to recall the whole batch. probably shut down the whole facility depending on severity, good men are going to lose jobs over this.

Phiz, the inspector at the factory just called us back, it's clean. Cleanest he's ever seen a parts plant. I hate to say it, but this might be the territory marking acts of an automodius fuckulatus majesticus, and you know how bad even a single Greater Crested Truckfuckler is for anyone who has to park a tractor inside their territory. God help us all if it's mating season already. No way am I gonna get the fuckulatus traps out of storage and try to capture one of those huge bastards, not after the last one cut my brake lines. We're gonna have to call in the feds to handle this, maybe those CVSA guys can send us a kill team?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

luxury handset posted:

most small commercial jets have engines that are higher up on the fuselage than someone's rare ww2 hot rod jet

That's a pure jet engine. Most modern jet engines are turbo-fan jet engines. There's a big fan in the front of the cowling that sucks in cold air, and blows it out in a ring around the super hot jet exhaust from the center section. This both makes it way more efficient and makes it way less noisy. As a nifty side effect it also keeps you from power-blow torching the runway apart.

Sorta like comparing a big air gun to a blowtorch, similar air-make-go-fast technologies, wildly different operating temperatures of the bulk exhaust gasses.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 6, 2019

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Flannelette posted:

Upstream dam barely meets the definition of a dam I can see why they were banned but why were they ever approved?

Because if you sign here sir, we'll give you the hooker for the rest of the evening, and this briefcase full of 'campaign contributions'.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SardonicTyrant posted:

I had a course on ethics in college, and literally everyone still applied to Uber at the job fair, so.

Ethics: That thing you may or may not care about when retired, or during the accident investigation and/or Congressional hearing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Memento posted:

How are they surveying geoscience professors from liberal arts colleges?

Maybe the term means something different than what I'm used to but to me an arts college is one that doesn't have a science faculty.

A university can be rated as #4 for a degree in postmodernist dance therapy and training seeing ear dogs ASL, and still have an engineering program.

It doesn't help that the term College and University can mean different things in different areas.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

chitoryu12 posted:

Jewish rules lawyering is entirely based on the premise that God only wants people to exactly follow the letter of his demands and will just kinda throw up his hands and shrug if you find a way to scam him.

I mean, if I managed to create a race of monkeys with severe anxiety issues, and they managed to pull a fast one on me after I told them to stop loving about with the lightswitch by removing the bulb instead, I'd probably allow it too.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, not to poo pooh whistleblowers, but without any other corroboration it does sound like it could just as easily be a disgruntled crank. "By his calculation, those children could have received radiation dosages" leaves a ton of wiggle room. Is he actually qualified to make that calculation? Does he have sufficient data? Or did he make some wild-rear end napkin math using the worst possible assumptions? I'm mainly a little skeptical because there are lots of teachers and such that keep a chunk of uranium ore around in their office for decades without everyone freaking out.

"As a former Army helicopter pilot who later worked as a safety manager in the Navy, Stephenson said he knew it was "bad mojo"".

And also this, flight school generally doesn't include a section on the health effects of uranium ore.

Even a chunk of pure uranium metal the size of your fist isn't appreciably radioactive. You're way more likely to suffer health consequences from breathing in the ore dust than you are sitting next to a paperweight made from it.

Also, federal safety standards are hilariously conservative, having a basement in certain parts of the country with decomposed granite will exceed the federal limits quite handily.

Non-radiation Workers and the Public posted:

The dose limit to non-radiation workers and members of the public are two percent of the annual occupational dose limit. Therefore, a non-radiation worker can receive a whole body dose of no more that 0.1 rem/year from industrial ionizing radiation. This exposure would be in addition to the 0.3 rem/year from natural background radiation and the 0.05 rem/year from man-made sources such as medical x-rays.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 19, 2019

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

darthbob88 posted:

1. Might as well talk about the health hazards of the iron and aluminum ore that went into assembling the helicopter.
2. Depleted uranium is really not radioactive, because it's been depleted of the radioactive U235. It's actually kinda useful as radiation shielding as a result.
3. The U238 that makes up most of the mass of depleted uranium is an alpha emitter, which is only significantly hazardous if it gets on/under your skin.

The dust is poisonous as gently caress and does all kinds of wonky poo poo to critical enzymes in your body when absorbed through the lungs or digestive tract. And breathing in dust would qualify as 'under your skin' which is why it's seen as such a bad industrial hazard at mines and in industry.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Lone Badger posted:

Except for neutron radiation. Please do not use U-238 as neutron radiation shielding.

U238 makes fantastic neutron radiation shielding! It stops those neutrons in their tracks! The plutonium it transmutes into and the associated beta decays are also very well shielded, but might be outside the scope of the shielding at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can't get more than 100% of designed power. You can get more than 100% of what the designers think the designed power is. :smugmrgw:

e: Of course the main thing isn't the design, it's what the actual ship-builders did contrary to the designs to make it all work, unless ship-building was very different back then.

Design power comes with a crapload of caveats that are understood to exist if you do any kind of engineering work. The biggest one for a steam turbine power plant is the safety margin. The boilers that make steam run at a design point temperature and pressure. This produces the design rated power, in a safe, economical way, and has basically no chance of damaging the plant equipment, employees or hull. If you decide to go full YOLO, you can increase the fuel flow into the boilers, and overspeed the blower fans feeding it air, and run the boilers at temperatures and pressures well beyond the safe limits. You get a shitload more power out of them, with the understanding that you're basically sitting next to a huge loving bomb, and if the boiler fails, it'll probably crack the loving ship in half or blow a huge rear end hole in the hull under the water line.

It also helps that since the plant was designed to run for like 20+ years before needing a rebuild, everything is robust as gently caress, which means going completely balls out for 6 hours probably won't kill everyone, but it might shorten the life of the plant by years.

Edit: Running a steam plant over design temp and pressure is basically the most OSHA thing you can do on a boat that doesn't involve water skis.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 21, 2019