Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Grendels Dad posted:

Is the white spider no longer a part of Venom's look? I know he has been a hulking mass of black semi-liquid poo poo for a long time, but he still basically looked like a dude in a dark costume with a big white spider on his chest. And there aren't many spider-related superheroes out there.

Comic Book Movie Megathread: a hulking mass of black semi-liquid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Bob Quixote posted:

So is the protagonist of pretty much every non-rated R action or adventure movie ever if we go by that metric.

Yes, and?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I've seen Spike Lee walking around near NYU a few times and nobody hassles him. He's usually incredibly conspicuous too, completely decked out in blue and orange Knicks gear.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Burkion posted:

I actually am because the first Guyver OVA is pretty fantastic all for 1985 anime. Great action, great animation, unique story that does something very different with the one everyone knows, F Guyver II has a unique Guyver design and is an even better fighter than Guyver II, Sho isn't a total putz, and you get all of the weirdo off model and not quite right designs due to it being made so soon.

It's this weird AU universe and I'd LOVE to see where it went after that.

Fat luck about suggesting anyone watch it though because of the literal tentacle rape!

Women being treated as sex objects...IN AN ANIME??? :monocle:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Kurzon posted:

He must have been either a troll, a retard, or an enlightened genius decades ahead of his time.

Please don't insult the developmentally disabled by comparing them to Baron Bifford.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jeffrey Dean Morgan would be a much better Lobo than Danny Trejo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Imagine a Thor film directed by Tarsem Singh, with a Manowar soundtrack

now compare that to the Thor films we actually got and get real sad

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Nothing in the Incredible Hulk is connected to Hulk.

Well I mean they both have the Hulk, that seems like a pretty strong connection

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

What's wrong with the world that Nic Cage was not cast as Dr. Strange?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I actually feel that casting a woman as the Ancient One is pretty cool.

It would be neat to see an Asian actor portraying a martial arts guru in a film for once, though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Burkion posted:

So this isn't the right thread for this but there isn't a right thread for this so gently caress it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw

FUUUUUUCK YES

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in how homogenous the casting is here.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

As long as she plays the part with a heavy Japanese accent I don't see what the problem is

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Letting Ken Watanabe overdub Johansson's lines would be an acceptable compromise

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Handsome Neanderthal.

I want to see an Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer film starring Sebastian Stan.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Weird and transgressive.

Venture Bros. pretty much nailed it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The early Venture Bros stuff definitely gets at the weird wonder of FF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qhfoihw0E

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Geoff Johns has written a ton of great comics, including some very good Green Lantern stories. When I heard he was attached to the Green Lantern movie I was very glad because in my opinion they couldn't have picked a better guy. So what the gently caress happened?

Also, running zombies was the coolest thing to come out of the zombie genre since... well, ever, really. Was Snyder really the first to do fast zombies? Either way the Dawn of the Dead remake is my favorite zombie movie and has been since I first saw it. Day of the Dead remake was absolute garbage. gently caress you, Nick Cannon. You loving suck.

28 Days Later was 2002, Dawn of the Dead was 2004.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

computer parts posted:

Apparently the first Resident Evil movie also has them? According to this article anyway:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2004/03/dead_run.html

Nah, the zombies in the RE film (the first one at least) shamble around, but it does have zombie dogs that can run :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, the last week I've been watching "gritty crime dramas/thrillers", stuff like A Walk Among the Tombstones or Seven or whatever. And the thought once again appeared in my mind that they really need to make a The Question movie in that style. Or maybe a full neo-noir take on Sandman Mystery Theatre. They'd be different, you could do them on a lower budget so that they needed less money to be successful and since he'll say yes to anything they could even get Liam Neeson.

I always loved the weirder, more obscure comics in DC's library and I think they'd work pretty well as movies. Just not superhero movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYGUai7PNc

Directed by Richard Donner, even.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jon Bernthal has to be Fred Ward's illegitimate son right

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Equeen posted:

If Granny Goodness does appear, I hope she's a bizarre combination of Divine and Betty White.

Harvey Fierstein?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Irwin Spiderman, CPA

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

He's going to set up rope-based traps that will make Saw seem tame and die after he breaks a dozen guys' necks just with a rope. They come running, he catches them inna rope and SNAP. Slipknot gonna own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otFW-xb9J1U

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Seriously though, who would still be a Christian when Actual Norse God Thor is flying around Manhattan.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Obviously what Phylodox meant is that the Chirauri were a smaller event because 9/11 killed over 3000 people and a massive dimensional rift and alien invasion by a god only killed 74.

It is kind of incredible that a Chitauri planetary invasion force was worse at killing people than a Tunisian guy with a truck

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 16, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Canonically, "hundreds" of people died in New York.

74 is the number of people accidentally killed by the Avengers themselves.

Hahahaha

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yaws posted:

Wow. Thank god he didn't land in New York City or some other ungodly hellhole.

I also live in the rural Midwest (Iowa whattup!) and if Superman had landed here he'd probably be a racist libertarian.

Guy from Iowa calls NYC a hellhole lmao

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Erik Killmonger

Hahaha, is that really a character's name?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The S stands for "looks terrible"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Make it 3 parts. That's what the world wants and needs, 9 hours of the loving Avengers get on board y'all

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah this will probably be unwatchable, David Ayer is notorious for making lovely movies with bad characterization.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I like most of Ayer's movies, but The Fast and The Furious wasn't an entertaining movie because of the rich fiction it weaved with Dom's backstory.

What does backstory have to with anything? I don't think you actually know what characterization means. F&F is absolutely as popular as it is because of its characters, it's practically a superhero ensemble franchise at this point.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

My argument is that this "baseline of quality" is just a Two Broke Girls script. Nothing to get excited about, easy to understand. I'm agreeing.

Savage.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

RDJ's Iron Man is the perfect hero for today's Twitter world (and this forum) because he maintains an outward-facing sardonic ironic sense of detachment from everything - making jokes and calling everyone else idiots - while revealing (only to the audience) that deep down he is a sensitive lonely insecure nerdshoe full of CareFeels that wants to make the world a better place.

It's why he's the de-facto audience surrogate in all these films.

The fact that he constantly and demonstrably makes the world worse with his "disruption" is totally glossed over and totally ignored by everyone - the movie, the fans, the critics, etc.

I don't think it's necessarily 'glossed over', it's intrinsic to what makes the character resonate with the fans. There's a real sense of guilt stemming from a growing awareness of how participating in consumer capitalism makes us complicit in exploitation and oppression. The reaction is, over course, not "what if I'm the bad guy" or "how do I stop being the bad guy", but "no, I'm still the good guy because my intentions are pure".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

True, and I'm just trying to generate some real discussion. So then let's discuss something that leads us to: why are people willing to accept that Tony Stark means well when he fucks up and people die, but when you try the same defense with Superman from Man of Steel it is rejected out of hand? Tony Stark's brooding is "concern", Superman's brooding is "whining".

(sidenote: This is why arguing these Marvel things is so frustrating: something that works in isolation in the context of a Marvel movie dies on the vine when ported to another film. So you have people arguing that "it's easy, just do it like Marvel" but when you actually start pointing out those "Marvel elements" in other movies they concede they don't work there!)

What offends people about Clark's central conflict in Man of Steel is that he's concerned not how, but if he should use his power. It comes back to that guilt over consumer capitalism; people want to feel better by spending their money on the right things. If I buy more Ghostbusters tickets, I am supporting women; I need to buy the kind of bottled water that contributes to charity, etc. Even the idea of boycotting things elevates the dollar as moral currency, and makes the individual 'important' because they can 'speak with their wallet' (you're not, and your individual spending habits don't loving matter). Clark questions if it's even possible to make things better by participating, and this makes people very, very uncomfortable.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 3, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I know the first is from QOS (I think) but what's the second from?

Looks like John Wick

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

criticizing people for not using subjective enough language rather than making an effort to understand and respond to what they mean is a jive rear end move

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

End of Watch has a really effective, sun-bleached 'LA' look to it. The cinematography is good, it's just that Los Angeles is an ugly city.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 4, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its absolutely untrue to call Cavill a bad actor because of BvS when all the performances were stilted.
That's a sign of bad and inflexible direction.

Stilted how? The acting isn't naturalistic, but naturalism isn't always the goal -- especially not in a superhero film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It is when you try to tackle attachment to or perception of one's humanity. If superman really turned out to be as unfeeling or unemotive as his portrayal batman would be vindicated in his hunt. The revelation that he found out supes has some semblance of humanity rather than the alien, impersonal force of nature he was assumed to be is what stopped batman.

Nonsense, plenty of incredibly non-naturalistic/expressionist films address humanist themes. Metropolis, 2001, Solaris, etc.

• Locked thread