Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dreylad posted:

So it's better than the comic version. Cool.

I think part of it too is that this is new to the MCU as opposed to in the Marvel comics where it's like what X-Men is entirely about and the world has thousands of people and planets and so on getting wiped out all day. Not that the MCU is super grounded (or that the Netflix shows will ever cross over with them in a meaningful way) but the way the MCU is going someone like Killgrave alone existing makes it a lot easier for Iron Man to make his case.

That description does make me a little skeptical. It starts off saying the film is definitely Captain America 3 and not Avengers 2.5, then talks about how great it is that it deals with the fallout of all this stuff in Age of Ultron, not that that should go unacknowledged but uh...

I don't think it's a bad thing if it is an Avengers 2.5, obviously the rest of the team won't get as much screen time as Cap/Iron Man/Bucky/Falcon, but if the entire story ends up just springing forth from Age of Ultron alone that's pretty crazy (if super powered people being registered officially wasn't an issue after NYC was trashed in Avengers 1 then come on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

*Lex Luthor creating Doomsday in a lab with Zod's body after logging off of AICN's comments page* "At least, the world will get to see MY Superman."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I forgot that they retconned part of Venom's backstory about 10 years ago, where they changed part of Eddie Brock's backstory to make it so that he had cancer and the Venom symbiote was the only thing keeping him alive. So when he was going after Spider-Man it was out of fear that he was going to take the symbiote back, and not actually because he wanted revenge due to his failed career. I don't even know if that is still canon or not.

This is a really weird change to me because this was part of Carnage's backstory forever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was glad Daredevil did this. There's a great scene where Ben Urich is typing this scathing article about Fisk that he will submit to his newspaper the following morning. Then that morning he has to delete the whole thing because Fisk gives a live press statement where he basically says the same stuff about himself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I said come in! posted:

For Robin, there's actually hints in the trailers that Robin in this version of the Justice League universe turned into the Joker who is in Suicide Squad. This has been a story in the comics and cartoon tv shows, and a lot of the imagery is exactly the same as in those. This is probably completely off base though and not true at all, but it's fun to think about.

They should make it like The Dark Knight where his origin is unconfirmed. But instead of the different origins coming from the Joker they come from the other characters talking about him in passing. Like Batman says outright that he was Robin etc., but then a different character mentions something totally inconsistent with that and so on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

soapgish posted:

That would just make everyone look stupid as the audience is going to take Batman's word?

If everyone but Batman looks stupid it will be a nice switch from how Batman movies normally play out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

In general, sure, but the implication is 'gently caress bloggers' in contrast to, like, mainstream print newspapers, which is like, what?

She breaks the story via a blogger and not the mainstream print newspaper so the movie seems pretty realistic about this to me. Literally anyone I ever met from any print newspaper either has a blog, a friend's blog for weird stuff and like three podcasts they do on their own or they're actively looking to exit news related work completely. That scene came off to me more as being frustrating because White is doubting Lois and worried about legal ramifications (which he's partially right about, the government comes knocking to find Lois like right after she runs it).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 8, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

The anachronistic thing to me is that it seems to treat the independent, online publishing of news as this sketchy "blogging" thing rather than just a way to publish stuff. Like, is legitimate news published on Buzzfeed a blog?

She has to specifically go through a renowned but questionable blogger because she's under contract with the Planet, so she can't just take the story to whatever other news site or drop it herself on Medium with her name on it. The idea that online publishing in general is invalid never ocurred to me in that scene (and obviously isn't treated as such by the movie itself, otherwise Lois would never have gotten to meet Superman via the army).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

With this movie being the Dawn of Justice league I'm assuming his cover will be blown and or revealed in this movie and he'll just be Superman from then on.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 8, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Burkion posted:

Do random celebs get hassled when they're some where they aren't known to be?

Like obviously they're going to be noticed if they're hanging around where they actually live. But you go far enough away without anyone knowing that, or if no one is EXPECTING you to be around, you can get around pretty easily.

I also think secret identities is a thing that Marvel in general never worried too much about because the majority of their heroes aren't ones that NEED them. Steve Rogers is Captain America there is no distinction.

Superman is not Clark Kent. Clark Kent is not Superman.

Here in NYC at least celebrities are seen walking around getting food/at a club/whatever all the time and no one gives a poo poo beyond thinking "Oh hey wasn't that ____? Cool" a few minutes later.

But obviously the impact a celebrity has on people will be different that that of someone like Superman. Another way they could handle it is to say that after his dealings with General Swanwick (sic?) the government helps him hide his identity but again for the sheer impact Superman has on the world in the movie even that's a reach.

It would be great if they just go full Silver Age and he throws on glasses and no one can tell but keep everything else about the film's tone the same as Man of Steel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

And yet it still won't FEEL as long as Age of Ultron.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Now I'm remembering when Kate Mara was on Craig Ferguson to promote Iron Man 2 and after she showed the 15-second clip of her serving Tony with some papers, she was like, "Yeah, that's literally my entire role" and they just forgot about Iron Man and shot the poo poo for 10 minutes

I'm hoping water supply guy from Batman Begins appears and reads the entire registration act directly to the camera.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

So do they charge up to each other to all fight in a group but then Spider-Man breaks it up and is like "THE REAL ENEMY IS ______ !"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Cap can return for Infinity War easily enough with the infinity stones.

I was going to say, even if they do have that iconic Cap/Thanos scene they will definitely have him appear at some point to scream "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!" for Infinity War Part II's climax.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"Swing away Merrill."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Skwirl posted:

If we took Iron Man's boast about "privatizing world peace" as accurate in Iron Man 2, The Avengers are significantly less costly and more humane than real world America's interventionist strategies.

Away all Goats posted:

All 74 people must have been in this building when the space whale flies through it causing it to collapse.

Or maybe it was one of those empty buildings in Manhattan.

Maybe it's like the end of level score screen in the classic Neo Geo game King of the Monsters where the two to three digit number is an abbreviation of how many thousands of casualties.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 11, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Cameo posted:

If only any Marvel movie was as willing to embrace camp on a level even approaching Flash Gordon's.

Flash Gordon and Barbarella are two of the best comic book movies ever made so I'd be totally down with this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They got a different actress for Karai and a different actor for Shredder also. William Fitchner is lucky as hell, didn't he sign on to do like three or four pictures as THE SHREDDER or whatever but now he gets to collect that sweet money for a few minutes of being which ever Japanese actor Shredder they get for that installment's lackey?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"Maybe, I don't know." is not advocacy for killing children. His actions growing up and as a young adult are proven as correct throughout the movie, and his dad comes off as initially callous but as he says himself, they're making this up as they go along. It's not subtle. He also walks the walk and sacrifices his life to rescue a dog and continue to protect his kid so that he could decide on his own what kind of person he wants and needs to be. He uses his last moments on earth to heroically sacrifice himself for his kid's sake which also inspires his kid actually leave and try to find himself. It's the best depiction of Clark's dad in any on screen version of Superman (except for the one episode of the animated series where the villain of the week knocks Superman down and Pa Kent just rolls up to him like YOU CAN'T HIT MY SON LIKE THAT to steamroll him even though it would obviously result in him being killed).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I have difficulty discussing Man of Steel because it's actually pretty common for comic nerds to have somehow taken away from that scene that Clark's dad literally approaches the shoreline and pushes a child's head under the water after informing Clark that defective creations should be put down.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's amazing to me that if everything about Man of Steel was the same but Zod was sucked into the phantom zone with the world builder/etc. other Kryptonians and Superman cracked a one liner everyone would think this was the greatest superhero flick ever made. The endgame being a 90% cathartic power trip with a triumphant end and not a 100% cathartic power trip with a cathartic end really broke people's brains.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Electromax posted:

Personally, I assumed he killed Zod in the 70s movie too, I've only seen the old ones once. I didn't think that was a thing at all, nor the lack of humor. It was the superhero excesses at the end that I didn't really like.

I forget if Zach Snyder mentions it in those interviews someone compiled earlier, but besides that Superman cold kills Zod in the comics plenty of times. The most definitive of which happened in the late 80s, which I find hilarious because that time period and Superman killing Doomsday was when a lot of the loudest lifelong comic fans complaining about him killing Zod in this movie got into comics.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McCloud posted:

Once. He killed Zod once, along with two accomplices. He executes three powerless kryptonians, Zod among them, after having judged them guilty. The crime in question was murdering every single man, woman and child on an earth in a parallel pocket dimension. Superman was the only living person left, hence why he was the judge, jury and executioner. And after executing Zod, he suffered a nervous breakdown.

And that was the first, and only time,Superman killed anyone.

Besides this being wrong (a few characters like Supergirl/etc. do survive Zod's alternate earth massacre, and Superman would of course go on to kill Doomsday not long after), after his breakdown he swears he will never ever kill again. I'm assuming that's what they were going for with Man of Steel's ending. And if you count Superman in pop culture (comics, movies/etc.) he's killed plenty of folks. People in this same thread were talking about how the Injustice: Gods Among Us comics are good even though the entire story is set off by Superman beating Lois to death because he was brainwashed into thinking Lois was Doomsday (who he of course immediately wants to kill) followed by him murdering the Joker. But THIS, THIS is okay and cool and totally rad. But not him snapping Zod's neck in Man of Steel.

Is it going to be okay for Superman to kill or otherwise destroy Doomsday in this movie since that's something people remember better from the more hyped and heavily marketed comics?

This is what I meant with my post earlier, it could have been clearer. I think that people honestly couldn't care less if Superman kills a genocidal super powered maniac. They care and hate it because it wasn't presented in a comedic and/or badass way. You don't have to take my word for it, just look at how many people think Superman II is the best Superman movie!

It's interesting too, if people remember when Batman Begins came out, at that point in the public eye Batman killing Liam Neeson at the end with a one liner was considered too flippant for Batman by quite a few folks compared to the tone of the movie (even though half of the movie's script is goofy callbacks to the first half of its script). One has to wonder how the reaction would have been if it was filmed as originally scripted where rather than stopping to gloat Batman escapes in a silent and more urgent "Oh poo poo this thing really is going off the rails" way while Neeson realizes too late that the bridge is out.*

That Superman has only killed _ number of people in "the main canon" isn't relevant because not being beholden to a main canon is what makes interesting stories with any of these iconic long running pulp characters possible. I don't mean to direct this to anyone in this thread but I see this inconsistent reaction a lot where the same people who despise Man of Steel will in the same conversation at some point be sure to inform me how The Killing Joke is basically Hamlet because it's "real" in its brutality.

*I appreciate how every defeat any character goes through in Batman Begins in any context happens because they were not paying attention to their surroundings like Neeson warns Bruce way early in the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 16, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Superman vs. Godzilla is a movie I would watch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One of the most derivative works of fiction of the 21st century, no less. Talking about Mass Effect like it put the first foot forward in anything, smh.

Agreed I looooove Mass Effect but it looks like pulp 70/80s sci-fi book covers/comics by design, like that was their stated goal of the series' visual design and that's cool as hell but not particularly inventive. I think X-Men outfits were even mentioned specifically in one developer interview.

Either way the form of media doesn't matter, costume design stuff is always going to cross pollinate so that even if the creators of this X-Men movie never even heard of Mass Effect, some light similarity is inevitable because both are popular sci-fi things. If I had to pick a specific thing I'd say the outfits are closer to something like what a lot of the aliens would wear in early to mid 90s Star Trek stuff. It's interesting to try to trace but in reality rare for something like this to have a singular influence.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 25, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Doflamingo posted:

Oh, and I just thought of another dumb thing: so Metropolis is getting its poo poo kicked by a world destroying machine and everyone at the Wayne building feels the need to wait for confirmation from the man himself before escaping? What the hell kind of operation was Wayne running there? It was beyond stupid.

The movie opened in theaters on the same day as the Triangle Fire. :tinfoil:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/triangle-shirtwaist-fire-in-new-york-city

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Marvel is good at having endless horde type enemies. Iron Man 1's bad guys for most of the movie are stupidly generic evil terrorists so it's okay for them to die horribly since Iron Man is funny and his suit is cool.

I don't think anyone even really has a problem with Batman or Superman killing people, but rather a problem with how it''s delivered. Like if Superman punched Zod so hard Zod died at the same moment they show the rest of the Kryptonians/engine stuff getting sucked into the phantom zone and then Superman cracked a one liner no one would have batted an eye about it and people would think it was the best superhero movie ever made except for Pa Kent advocating child murder.* That there was any consequence or actual game changing to how Superman feels or how the world is in the movie was too much for people.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting dramatic weight attached to superhero antics, but people want to have their cake and eat it too and act like mainstream superheros are high art creations worthy of intense evaluation and respect while at the same time completely dismissing and hating anything that isn't within their super narrow vision of what the "right" way to make a movie about them is.

*More than Superman's snap decision with Zod that was so overblown to me. By the time I got around to actually seeing Man of Steel from what I heard from my friends/etc. I was expecting to see Kevin Costner show up during the bus scene and push that last kid's head back under water or something. A hilarious misread of Costner's entire character people already had in their heads just based on that one line without any context in the trailer.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 27, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Davros1 posted:

[quote="Snowglobe of Doom" post="457961976"]
Superman II back in 1980 was operating under standard superhero/action movie rules so when he killed Zod that time he looked like this:

... but when the DCCU Superman kills Zod he looks like this:

MoS wasn't trying to be standard comicbook/action movie and it instead decided to question the cliched comicbook resolution by asking "What if you can't neatly make the problem go away? What if you don't get the triumphant happy ending? What if the good guy doesn't have all the answers just because he's the good guy?"

It's more interesting that the Superman II photo is of a Superman, when confronted by a problem he couldn't out punch, instead resorted to outsmarting the villains together with Lois Lane after which they killed all three of them. MoS took a "more humane" approach where Lois uses her knowledge to warp them back into the Phantom Zone except for Zod, who is killed by Superman like in Superman II.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Actually, a great many people thought it was poo poo to begin with. It was not exactly a favorably received movie. Hell, it's only recently that I've seen anyone reevaluate it.

Roger Ebert posted:

Spawn (1997)

"Spawn'' is best seen as an experimental art film. It walks and talks like a big budget horror film, heavy on special effects and pitched at the teenage audience, and maybe that's how it will be received. But it's more impressive if you ignore the genre and just look at what's on the screen. What we have here are creators in several different areas doing their best to push the envelope. The subject is simply an excuse for their art--just as it always is with serious artists.

Still, we can begin with the story. A man named Al Simmons (Michael Jai White) is happily married and at peace with himself, when he's recruited on a mission to destroy a biological warfare factory in North Korea. The mission is a setup. He is horribly burned and disfigured, and made captive of the forces of darkness. They offer him a deal: Lead the army of evil, and he can see his wife again. He loves her, and he agrees.

That's what comic book writers call the "origination story,'' and "Spawn,'' of course, is based on a famous series of comic books by Todd McFarlane, who made "Spiderman'' the top-selling comic in history before jumping ship at Marvel to start his own company.

After the setup, five years pass before the evil ones make good on their promise. Simmons by now is Spawn, seen either grotesquely scarred or in an elaborate costume. He goes to his old home, sees his wife (Theresa Randle) now happily remarried and is mistaken as a homeless man by everyone except his faithful little dog, Spaz.

Most of the movie involves Spawn's efforts to break loose from his bargain with the devil, whose representative is Clown, a fat, wisecracking midget played with brilliant comic timing by John Leguizamo (who has little but his timing left to recognize after the special effects and makeup people have finished disguising him). Other key characters include Martin Sheen as Jason Wynn, a diabolical government agent who hopes to control the earth with biological blackmail, and Nicol Williamson as Cogliostro, Clown's enemy and a counterforce for good. Spawn has agreed to lead Armageddon for the powers of hell, but now finds himself trapped between good and evil.

And so on. I am sure there will be some who get involved at the plot level, but in comic books, and movies spawned by comic books, few things are ever really settled forever; the ending has to be left open for a sequel, and of course whole story lines can be negated (as happened at Marvel recently) just by explaining that impostors were at work. What matters is style, tone, and creative energy.

"Spawn'' is the work of some of the most inventive artists now working in the area of digital effects. Its first-time director, Mark Dippe, worked on the dinosaurs of "Jurassic Park" and the shape-shifting villain of "Terminator 2: Judgment Day." The visual effects coordinator is Steve "Spaz'' Williams, once a resident genius at Industrial Light and Magic. They've gathered an expert creative team, and what they put on the screen are vivid, bizarre, intense images--including visions of hell that are worthy of Hieronymous Bosch.

Spawn himself is an extraordinary superhero, with smoking green eyeballs and two looks--scarred skin, or a uniform that makes Batman look underdressed. Clown is a shape-shifter who can impersonate almost anyone else in the movie; Leguizamo's features are buried in fat makeup and then transplanted by animation onto a grotesque clown's body. There is a dragonlike thing, the beast of hell, that is all tooth and eyeball and disgusting coiling tongue (an "overgrown gekko,'' it's called). And there are vast vistas of the expanse of hell, with countless souls writhing on clouds of flame, tortured by the very anonymity of their suffering.

Against this, and preventing the film from being even better, is a pretty sappy plot. Yes, I said that the subject is just an excuse for the art, but audiences don't always see it that way, and some are likely to complain that "Spawn'' is basically just shallow set-ups for virtuoso special effects sequences. And so it is. Michael Jai White (who once played Mike Tyson on TV) makes a powerful Spawn with a presence both menacing and touching, and Clown is an inspired villain with one wicked one-liner after another ("You're Jimmy Stewart--and I'm Clarence''). But the Sheen and Williamson characters exist primarily just to nudge the plot along, and Theresa Randle's wife is underwritten; we want more about her feelings.

So the way to view the movie, I think, is to consider the story as the frame--necessary, but upstaged by what it contains, which in this case is some of the most impressive effects I've seen. The disciplines blend into one another: Animation, makeup, costuming, process shots, morphing. They create a place and a look as specific as the places evoked in such films as "Metropolis" and "Blade Runner". As a visual experience, "Spawn'' is unforgettable.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/spawn-1997

Also, note the paragraph about the inherent storytelling editorial limitations of mainstream superhero comics and how those can leak into their film adaptations. It could have been written this week.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zzulu posted:

where was wonder woman during world war 2

Wonder Woman did nothing wrong.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think people make a mistake by taking from movies that shoot on location or otherwise look realistic the expectation that events in them "should" be a simulation of exacting reality for them to be "well made" movies. But not many movies are actually made that way when so much more impact can be made with the film's tone and atmosphere. In this case the Joker's bank robbery doesn't work the way it does because it makes sense or is the textbook correct way to navigate the criminal underworld, it works the way it does because it's built around him being a chaotic person that thinks people only exist to consume each other.

One could make a movie where the Joker is confined to operating in a fully realistic way, and that could potentially be a good movie too, but showing how to rob banks and how to do a lot these other actions wasn't the point of the movie, and since it's already pushing it at two+ hours it's understandable to have the bank robbery scene structured so that thematically it tells you everything you need to know about the setting and what the Joker is all about in a few minutes without even showing him on screen while also maintaining a consistent intensity until the buses pull out at the end. It's great.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 7, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jack of Hearts posted:

The Nolan films are "dark gritty 'realistic'" Batman, though.

I don't think any Batman product on earth is this except for maybe The Forensic Files of Batman.

The Nolan films were touted by Warner Bros. and Nolan as being "more grounded than Batman and Robin," that critics and some moviegoers received the movies as being humorless or too dark is another thing entirely.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darko posted:

Nolan read every "important" Batman book, obviously, as all of the trilogy contain various aspects from those, put together.

For instance, DKR is a mix of Knightfall, No Man's Land, adds in some of the Bane/League connection from other books, etc. The combination of those things creates a different type of outcome at the end, yes, but you can clearly see they're created by someone that read and understood the material.

Nolan basically read the material and, unlike many people who read it and said, "this guy is awesome," he said, "this guy sucks and needs to grow up" and made his movies about that. People that read it as the former don't understand their "awesome" character being displayed as an ineffectual manchild, and hate the movie that stresses this the most.

The AICN review of Dark Knight Rises is hilarious for this. I think like 2/3 of the review is about how this isn't the ***REAL*** Batman because he quit being Batman and because he was defeated by Catwoman easily and by Bane easily. Uh.....

IIRC besides obviously familiarizing himself with the major stories, Batman Begins REALLY feels a lot like the animated series to me. There are a few brief moments too like the shot of Scarecrow's cronies poisoning the water supply in the asylum basement that's like 1:1 from a Scarecrow episode of the TAS. The sickly yellow and and green coloring whenever they're nearing or in the asylum, it's really cool looking and as a big fan of TAS' it really stuck me as awesome how much the film looks like a live action version of its sense of color.

Also of course the microwave emitter is the dehydrator from Batman: The Movie. Bruce Wayne isn't handed a newspaper at the end of the movie, it's thrown to the ground and spins out at him just like in the same movie and series. And of course DKR's final act is "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." with a huge budget. The Nolan trilogy begins and ends with Batman: The Movie.

I also appreciated the take on the Joker in The Dark Knight because it was very very similar to his earliest appearances where his entire thing was "If I don't get ____ thing then ____ very important person will die at ____ time." and he had some crazy way to pull off the assassination no matter what because by announcing it ahead of time people would get super paranoid about having traditional protection and ignore the stupid ways in which he would actually end up doing it.

In general I'm really impressed with how the three Nolan flicks are both a great criticism of Batman as a concept while simultaneously celebrating many different takes on the character in just three movies.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 8, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It was part of a general backlash about shaky cam because of Michael Bay. I couldn't helieve how many people were saying they cold couldn't follow the action at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The dock scene especially is set up like the first attack in Aliens but with Batman as the monster.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

site posted:

I hope Daisy's not in tomb raider because that movie will suck and she doesn't deserve to get drug down so early in her career.

A rawer and more toned down Tomb Raider compared to the two Jolie movies would probably be really good but it will be overblown crap like those two movies. The 2013 Tomb Raider game that restarted the character has a few small nods to First Blood in the early game, a Tomb Raider flick closer to like First Blood or The Hunted with light supernatural stuff in it could make for a rad movie that would still be unique compared to the general action adventure flick.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Evans will absolutely "die" dramatically at some point so that he can appear towards the end of IW2 at the most hopeless moment to finally scream "Avengers! Assemble!" to get the biggest hype explosion in the history of MCU theatrical opening nights.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm very hesitant to believe that.

It's pre-release screening reactions so I don't see why it's unbelievable. Remember even BvS was supposed to be "superior to The Dark Knight" going by the pre-release screening hype. Man of Steel was "THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER MADE!!!," Age of Ultron posed serious questions about the nature of man and featured incredible action, and so on. Not saying those are the worst movies ever made or Civil War will be bad but just that unless a MC/DCU movie is a legit total historically bad in all ways Manos: The Hands of Fate caliber disaster film the pre-release word will always be super positive.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should have her play Adam Warlock just to mega-gently caress with comic fanboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I suspect that "real-life" might be a stretch.

Ideally the after credits stinger is Benedict Cumberbatch wakes up in 70s garb and the entire MCU was a dream being had by his character in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

• Locked thread