Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

"I have a really interesting political point of view, and it’s not always something I say too loud at dinner tables here, but you can’t go from a $2,000-a-night suite at La Mirage to a penitentiary and really understand it and come out a liberal." - Robert Downey Jr. in 2009

This is such a bizarre thought process on display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'll have you know that the internet can say with authority that Batman is in fact, pretty swole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J12A70-HeAQ

Not just the internet, it's even specifically stated in the Lego Batman Movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pretty much every single character in the DC Bombshells book is queer to varying degrees.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Wait wait I got it

The opening sequence: a massive Wayne Enterprises ferry delivers 400 cars to the surprised and delighted people of Themyscira.

Darkseid goes to Themyscira not to attack it, but to destroy the tendrils of neoliberal advance before Batman can marketize the last pre-capitalist society on Earth.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I wish more would handle them like the Ed Norton Hulk (however you feel about the rest of that movie). A montage over the opening credits of what we already know, and we're off for movie we actually want to tell.

I feel like Blade was great at introducing a comic character in a way that almost completely sidestepped his origin. And when aspects of his origin are revealed throughout the movie, it actually flows well with the plot that the movie is already telling.

Just one of many great things Blade did that subsequent comic book movies seem to have not remembered.

Drifter posted:

I just think the movie was incredibly hyped up, for solid reasons - much lighter tone, female led comic blockbuster, et cetera -, but that hype flowed over into actual critiques of the movie.

Hmm, critics letting the popular consensus determine how they review a comic book movie, you say? That sounds a bit too conspiratorial to be true.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Yes, handing the reins over to a first-time director who was solely responsible for the absolute mess of a script that was Apocalypse (and who did the final draft on The Last Stand) ... there's no possible way that could end badly.

I don't know about him being a first-time director... didn't he direct some of the reshoots of Fantastic Four that he wrote against Josh Trank's wishes?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Same

edit also theatrical Beavis is the better Beavis, though they shouldn't have cut Communion

I like about half of the stuff in the ultimate cut, but I do think the extra stuff with the African woman and the prison killers being on Lex's payroll rather than truly being collateral consequences of Super/Bat-man weakens the movie. The Lois Lane stuff with the bullet and Jena Malone is kind of unnecessary. The extra stuff with Clark in Gotham and the extended dystopian future dream are great, though.

Overall I think the best comic movie director's cut is the DOFP Rogue Cut. Other than BvS I can't really think of another comic movie director's cut that really sticks out, let alone is worthwhile.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cythereal posted:

The entire Injustice storyline is based on what happens if you give the Joker a nuke.

I hope Justice League incorporates the storyline where the Joker becomes Iran's ambassador to the UN, that seems pretty topical.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe Lord and Miller are not cut out for directing big blockbuster action movies? I mean, Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street are great, but they were basically given free reign to do whatever the gently caress they wanted in both instances, they probably are just the kind of guys who naturally bristle against that level of control.

Maybe they should stick to animated movies, comedies, and sitcoms.

Well, up until this point, Kennedy and other people involved in the Star Wars movies have claimed that there's no studio interference at all in their writers and directors. It was either Rian Johnson or the Rogue One writers who claimed they asked for more studio involvement because they were supposedly given so much leeway.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't they start filming MIB3 before they finished writing the script? I feel like I remember reading that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

WWII was butterflied away when Luddendorf killed Hindenburg and his staff, and then got himself killed by a Goddess. Hindenburg was President of the Wiemar Republic from 1925-34 and in his dottage was in many ways responsible for the Nazi seizure of power.

Maybe they had a late 40s World War started by Stalin. :shrug:

I would love to see Wonder Woman 2 as a stealth adaptation of Command & Conquer: Red Alert.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A (faint) possibility that we might someday see a live-action Superman: Red Son:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/superman/50345/superman-warner-bros-pitching-to-directors-for-live-action-red-son-movie

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I think some of Tom Clancy's early work is unironically good. Red Storm Rising, Hunt for Red October, and Patriot Games all hold up pretty well in my opinion. Maybe Clear and Present Danger.

I like both the movie and book Hunt for Red October, but the movie has much better characterization (such that it has). In the book, Ramius wants to defect just because the Soviet healthcare system is so corrupt that it killed his wife. In the movie he wants to stop World War III. In the book the Americans can track the Red October because their American technology is just so good it can detect the silent drive anyways. In the movie it's the sonar guy's skill and intuition that lets him realize what's happening.

My favorite bit about the Hunt for Red October movie is that the book came out in 1984 and is pretty clearly intended to be set when it was written. The movie adaptation was filmed in 1989, and was originally going to be set in November 1991, with on-screen text explaining that Gorbachev was removed from power by a KGB coup in July 1991. But when the movie came out in 1990, no one believed that Gorbachev would be threatened by hardliners, so they removed the opening text that set it in the then-future and replaced it with text setting the movie back in 1984. And then in August 1991 the KGB attempted exactly that. If only they had kept that text scrawl in, it would have been pretty prescient.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

teagone posted:

I want a Zack Snyder Star Wars movie. The one that was rumored to be like Seven Samurai, with seven Jedi protecting an entire planet.

The funny thing is, back in the 70s when Marvel originally had the Star Wars license, their first ever original Star Wars story after the ANH adaptation was a loose Seven Samurai adaptation. Their version of the seven samurai included Jaxxon the giant green rabbit and a Jedi Knight named Don-Wan Kihotay, and the villain was a parody of Sergio Aragones.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Bible says that humanity is the only intelligent life created by god.

There's also a ton of other quotes that would lead protestant evangelicals to reject the idea of alien life.

The Church is described as the bride of Christ and covers all life in creation. Creation covers all material space, but life exists only on earth.

The bible also says that man was created first in god's image and endowed with craftsmanship immediately after. God blessed mankind to always be closest to him (in intelligence and craftsmanship). If another species were able to travel to earth, then that would mean they were either more intelligent or possesd more craftsmanship, and would therefore be closer to god, than humanity. Which is impossible because humanity was created in god's image.

Jesus also says that all life exists on earth and will eventually be united in one flock under him, bringing all of creation under Christ.

I'm just saying that acceptance of aliens in religion is mostly a recent development and no religions are explicitly positive on alien life.

Catholics and Protestants in particular already had to deal with this issue 500 years ago when they discovered an entire continent full of people who had never had any contact with the rest of the world or possibility of hearing Christ's message or even discussed at all by the Bible. The issue of what the existence of Indians meant to Christianity was pretty much the same context of what aliens would mean to Christianity.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

I kind of want to see a story about the plight of an alien missionary trying to win human converts when it is a squid immersed in a tank because our oceans don't contain enough ammonia for its species to survive in. All the metaphors are weird and humans communicate with vibrations in a gaseous medium rather than rapid changes in skin color and the whole thing is just a mess.

Gives a new spin on the ending of Europa Report.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well there was that whole "piecing the bullet together" thing in TDK. I guess that's more forensics.

I remember a lot of reviewers back when TDK came out making a big deal about how the movie was the first to finally remember that he's also the World's Greatest Detective.

Also, man, I can't believe it's almost a decade since TDK came out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh my God I cannot believe how much better Logan is than the last two Wolverine movies. like holy poo poo this is great.

I do like the second Wolverine movie. But yeah, Logan is light years ahead of it and the vast majority of other comic movies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i feel like there's actually pretty solid odds of Turk showing up, especially if the Defenders are still gonna be in it

I thought they weren't?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My girlfriend's family had a big cookout this weekend, and I talked to her six year old nephew there, who told me they had just seen Spider-Man. I asked him if he liked it, and his response was, "No. He didn't really do anything. He only fought people."

I then asked him what his favorite superhero movie was, and he immediately replied, "Batman vs. Superman."

He has a bright future as a CineD poster ahead of him.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lobok posted:

He only fought people or he only fought people?

The former.

It was such a CD thing to say I almost started laughing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Isn't Wakanda supposed to be based on Great Zimbabwe, at least in the run that Ta-Nehisi Coates did?

I haven't actually read anything with Black Panther, but I remember reading that in articles at the time he started.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BvS should have ended with them fighting Hulk instead of Doomsday.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just saw Valerian. The theater was almost empty - maybe a dozen or so total besides me, and I think at least four of them walked out about the 2/3 mark. My views (keeping in mind I have not read the comics):

The pros:
  • Great visuals and designs for the aliens, ships, environments (at least most of the time) and some interesting sci-fi concepts. Main reason I wanted to see the movie in the first place.
  • Ethan Hawke and Rihanna put in good, if small, performances. (Honestly, I thought Rihanna was better than either of the main leads.)
  • Really liked the opening credits montage.
  • The villains were a racist military officer who uses human access to the galactic free market and claims of cultural superiority to justify covering up genocide, which seems tailor made to appeal to the CineD crowd.

The cons:
  • The story was trite and the dialogue was bland.
  • Way, way too long. There was no reason this was almost 2.5 hours long. None at all.
  • At multiple points throughout the movie, major plot points are given out in huge chunks of expository dialogue. Rutger Hauer is wasted so he can give a 30 second monologue during the opening credits to help set up the premise.
  • Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevigne are really wooden actors and have no chemistry with each other, even though 90% of their interactions are supposed to be endearing flirtations. Almost none of the other actors in here acquitted themselves much, either.
  • Related to the above, Valerian was a completely unsympathetic and annoying/borderline gross character. He was probably intended to come across as a charming Han Solo rogue type but was portrayed more like a sleazy PUA in space. This may have to do with my above point about Dane DeHaan.
  • This felt very derivative. I know people are going to say that Mass Effect and Star Wars and Blade Runner stole stuff from the original comics or whatever, but even beyond the visual references (and whether that's true or not, as someone who hasn't read the comics but has seen those movies/games, it's really hard not to see them being pretty blatant in some of the designs) there are shots clearly borrowing from iconic Star Wars scenes and other shots clearly inspired by sci-fi FPS games, Cara Delevigne even has an "I have a bad feeling about this," and to be honest, there were multiple times when I felt like the movie was recreating parts of The Phantom Menace, of all movies.
  • Again, perhaps related to the above, this felt less like a movie and more like watching a Let's Play of Mass Effect or EVE or something like that.

The weird:
  • There's a space hooker who imitates Jessica Rabbit.

Ultimately, while I did really love a lot of the visuals in the movie, I can't really recommend it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Han Solo and Tony Stark are likeable because both the characters and the actors are charismatic. Dane DeHann/Valerian and Cara Delevigne/Laureline are not in the slightest.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's no question Valerian is good if the criticism of it is that it's annoyingly unconventional.

Valerian isn't annoyingly unconventional, it's utterly conventional. Its format is about two and a half hours of "Valerian and Laureline get into a fight while trying to get a macguffin, make stilted quips at each other in a monotone while shooting their blasters, run to the next scene, another character infodumps the next plot objective to them, repeat." The visuals are the least conventional thing about it, and they're great for the most part, but there's nothing innovative or out of the ordinary about the rest of the movie.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How scary was Valerian? I have a small child I would like to maybe take if it wasn't too scary, and one trailer I saw kind of cut it like a kid's film. And was it particularly gory? And was the depiction of women decent or were they mostly objectified?

For scary and gory, I didn't really think it was all that much. There's a lot of sci-fi gun violence and one alien gets his head cut in half with some yellow goop coming out, but it's played more for laughs than anything really shocking. There's also a scene where a character is getting tortured, but you don't actually see any of the torture. Then again, I guess I am kind of desensitized to violence compared to a small kid. I don't really think it's that scary, though.

As for women, there are essentially only two women characters in the movie. One is Laureline, and her entire arc with Valerian for the movie is him trying to convince her to marry him so he can finally gently caress her and whether or not she's going to say yes. The movie begins with him trying to gently caress her, she says no because he fucks all the women he works with, and he says that if she marries him it will show that he loves her and will stop womanizing and they can finally gently caress. Add on to this the complete lack of chemistry or charisma from either of them. Laureline also complains a lot about her clothes getting ruined and there are a few jokes about her being a bad driver.

The other woman in the movie is Rihanna, who (I guess minor spoilers) is a shape-changing alien stripper who's been enslaved to Ethan Hawke since she was 4 years old and puts on a show with various fetish outfits for Valerian, before he helps her escape. She then gets killed a few minutes later.

K. Waste posted:

Yo, Chairmen Capone, you didn't answer the question of whether the space hooker sings "Why Don't You Do Right?"

I wish, that at least would have been annoyingly unconventional.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Radical new direction: Bateman for Batman.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Xealot posted:

This. Prior to 2008, Iron Man was charitably a B-list hero. Now he's the biggest Marvel character. Alongside the Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean, what?

I remember before the 2008 movie came out, the only things I knew about Iron Man was that he was a billionaire with a tech suit, there was a storyline about him being an alcoholic, and Orson Scott Card recently wrote for the title.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought that Clooney was a pretty good Wayne. But really, I think that "handsome and charming guy" is pretty easy as a foundation for at least a decent Wayne.

I did like that Bale and Affleck both portray Wayne as a pretty unlikeable guy. In BB/TDK he was an smug tabloid-headlines playboy, in TDKR he was Howard Hughes, and in BvS he's a Sheldon Adelson rear end in a top hat who buys newspapers whose op-eds he doesn't like.

dont even fink about it posted:

Bane is just inverted Batman in pretty much every possible way they could think of, including his costume design.

I know this was a few pages ago now but I am convinced that Nolan decided to do Bane of all characters as the villain for his final Batman film entirely because his name is a phonetic contraction of Bruce Wayne and it fit perfectly with the 'dark mirror of Bruce' type of story he was envisioning.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Years later, I finally got around to watching the Director's Cut of Watchmen. I thought the theatrical version of Watchmen was fine, probably the best that any 2.5 hour adaptation could be, but the DC is definitely an improvement. That being said, I feel like trimming it down for the theaters was probably a good move. I can't imagine audiences sitting through an over three hour comic movie. And I don't know if it was stuff in the DC or not (I honestly can't remember off the top of my head what exactly was new) but the performances of both Malin Akerman and especially Patrick Wilson really grew on me. I feel like Wilson in particular was really ideal for this role.

I remember reading somewhere that Nolan once told Snyder that Watchmen was ahead of its time and I do wonder if, had it come out now rather than in 2009, it would have gotten a better reception. I feel like not only its critique of superheroes (and superhero media as a result) is more in the zeitgeist now, but stuff like police violence, vigilantism, the cult of the "tech genius disruptor" figure, fear of apocalypse, and the desperation of searching for a savior to grasp at to avoid apocalypse are all more timely.

To that end, I thought it was funny how much of it felt like a presaging of Batman v Superman, even down to some very specific visual references:

-Dreiberg's desert nuclear apocalypse nightmare
-Laurie saving people of color from a burning building, as a girl asks her mom if Nite Owl is Jesus
-Dreiberg going through Ozymandias's secret superhero files on his computer
-Dreiberg increasingly-ineffectively punching Veidt against the wall
-Veidt's company building scaffolding around the crater in New York at the end

And speaking of the end, as much as I liked the DC, I still feel like the ending was flubbed. Not that I felt it had to be a giant space squid specifically (though I did like the storyline of the Indian woman artist in the comic, and I feel like her story inadvertently became a metaphor for what Moore feels like with how his own creations are adapted by others) but replacing it with Manhattan just doesn't feel as effective. He attacks New York along with the other cities, but he's still the symbol of American superpower superiority for a generation. Ignoring all the armchair diplomatic analysis of what would "really" happen in that case, I just don't feel like the symbolism is the same. Plus, the fear of an alien invasion and belief that the US and USSR would team up to fight one is something that Reagan talked about constantly at the time, so it even worked with the existing Cold War environment Moore was writing in (though obviously not as applicable today/in 2009).

There are a few other things about the ending I don't like, but they're less major. Bubastis getting killed didn't really have the impact since she wasn't as big as in the comic, so should have been left out since as it is, having a giant mutant He-Man cat was kind of a distraction. I also missed Veidt's one emotional moment of shouting "I did it!" and likewise, Manhattan being the one to say the "Nothing ever ends" (and to Veidt, rather than Sally of all characters) was a major missed opportunity. The ending with the New Frontiersman is something that like Bubastis kind of loses impact without the buildup it had through the comic, but I'm a bit more forgiving here since I honestly have no idea what else they could (or should) have ended it on.

Though speaking of the New Frontiersman, one change I did like from the ending was switching Reagan in for Robert Redford. Also Dreiberg being there to see Manhattan blast Rorschach.

Are Tales from the Black Freighter and Under the Hood worth watching?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

Saying your real name is Batman is pretty sad and horrifying. Not cool at all, dude needs help he's far gone.

I like at the end of Sandman where there's a single panel cameo of Superman and Batman at Dream's wake in the Dreaming, and since it's their dream selves, they both show off what they think of themselves as. Superman is just Clark, while Batman is this gross bat-hybrid monster.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

I think it does a pretty good job of illustrating Bruce's relationship to trauma. I don't think it's a coincidence the film opens up with the death of his parents followed immediately by the death of his extended Wayne Enterprises family.

Not only that, but finding the little girl whose mother just got killed, the same age he was when his mother just got killed.

Actually, since he clearly has mother issues, maybe he sees Diana as a replacement mom.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Best black superhero of the 90s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TaShNXN2PQ

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Finally, all those fans of the Flash TV show complaining that the movie outfit isn't as good as the TV version get their wish.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Collect all the power ups and then beat the game

Justice League is an action movie based on actual Gotham history. Stages of the movie are based on battles that actually took place in Gotham. So here's this giant enemy parademon. You attack its Motherbox for massive damage....

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

No, it's just that Singer did the whole Jesus thing with Superman Returns, so seeing the same motifs again was a let down. If they wanted to use a religious allegory, why not use one that hadn't been attempted before?

It's high time for a movie with a Superman-as-Mohammed analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Barudak posted:

I would prefer a Superman as Rama story, maybe a Batman as Odysseus.

Batman as Ulysses, but in the sense that he's Leopold Bloom and Gotham is Dublin.

• Locked thread