Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The MSJ posted:

Also Marvel have been reading this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtaReY6WCVQ
No mention of cars being destroyed though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Christ that one still hurts
Eh I like the changes they made for Ant Man after Weight left.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It joins Arrested Development, Community, and many others in the TV retirement home for critical darlings that not enough people watched.
I like to think all these shows die young just to keep Venture Bros alive because in the normal world that show would have not lasted as long as it has (which I'm glad we don't live in that world)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The Cameo posted:

How quickly people forget 2004 and how Snyder committed the blasphemy of making Romero zombies run - and not just a lumbering jog, but full blown sprinting. The corner of horror fans that were zombie nerds (because back then that's all they were - a subculture in a subculture on the fringe of the mainstream) were livid over even the idea of it. 28 Days Later was okay because those were "infected". This was spitting in the eye of George himself.

Needless to say, Snyder has always attracted derision for going against the grain. Doing Last Temptation with Superman and having Bruce Wayne going full Falling Down are just the latest trespasses against the borders of nerd culture. And Watchmen is a whole other front. 300 and Sucker Punch are minor (although Punch really, really makes some people sore) by comparison, and Ga'Hoole doesn't even register because what self-respecting nerd goes to see a movie about owls?*

You can imagine this guy is going to end up doing Akira, and he's somehow going to make it actually take place in Tokyo and have at least one Japanese/Japanese-American actor as a protagonist and squeeze every last bit of paranoia and grime and insanity contained in that story, and this will somehow be the worst possible thing that could have happened to it and why didn't they just leave it well enough alone, how could they have let him get his grubby mitts on it, he ruins everything

* Ga'Hoole kinda loving owns, by the way. A weird Don Bluth and Frank Frazetta lovechild of a thing. Owls with battle helmets and talon swords and a baby owl absolutely disturbed by its own natural body functions and getting Helen Mirren, Excalibur's Morgana, as the big baddie.
If the Dawn of the Dead remake wasn't titled Dawn of the Dead, it would have probably been more liked.

DrVenkman posted:

Snyder will make another movie, people will like it, life goes on. Not everyone gets it 'right'. Frothing hatred for anyone over a movie is patently ridiculous anyway.
I would not want to hang around a person who would like Zack Snyder's The Fountainhead

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Burkion posted:

That's because the original Dawn of the Dead is both amazing, and also in no way a perfect film. Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead? Those are untouchable and woe be any who try to remake them.

DAWN of the Dead? That's easily the least best made of the three, with the most amount of flaws and weird bullshit going on. It might be the least subtle movie ever made by human hands and it has the weirdest tone shifts.

A good remake of Dawn of the Dead can stand on its own well enough to be its own thing and be judged accordingly because no one is going to remake the original nor want it remade to the letter.

Snyder made a good remake.
that's actually a good point considering how awful the Night of the Living Dead/Day of the Dead remakes are.

I should say I don't really like the Dawn of the Dead remake, but that's more of personal preference to the original and the remake not really clicking for me.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Agreed. Tom Savini directed that, right? Would've been interesting to see him direct more stuff.
Yeah its pretty interesting that he was able to make a NOTLD remake after missing the original because he was drafted into Vietnam as a combat photographer which probably helped him in some ways with his SFX career, he always has a booth for Pittsburgh comic con. I always heard conflicting things about him whether he's a jerk or not to fans.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I'm glad Jeff Goldblum is getting more mainstream blockbuster roles again.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I don't think she's trying to argue herself into anything. I think she knows that if they called up Arrow and The Flash then they'd leave the other characters by the wayside, and she specifically mentions Amell and Gustin, both of whom are pretty good at what they do. Gustin in particular is a charming presence and I hope that whenever they're done on that show he goes on to something better. Melissa Benoist too is a better Superman than Cavill is, and I like Cavill.

I do think the hampering of DC with the TV stuff is ridiculous though. They basically had to kill off their Suicide Squad, and a brief appearance of Harley Quinn was ordered to be cut altogether. Marvel don't have it right either, but that's because of their weird divide in bosses between the film and tv divisions getting really petty about that poo poo. DC could've taken some initiative, and if you're going to say that the TV world doesn't matter, then let the TV world do whatever they want.
I'm not really shocked because WB/DC did this to the DCAU cartoons were certain heroes/villains were "embargoed" because they showed up in this new Batman cartoon or there was a potential Aquaman Smallville spinoff

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Equeen posted:

If Granny Goodness does appear, I hope she's a bizarre combination of Divine and Betty White.
I want it to be Ed Asner in drag

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Electromax posted:

Also some wicked scoring for a kids cartoon show.
Yeah BTAS and its movies had great scoring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6K1qNsE9v0

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Hm, what would Batman do if faced with a superperson of unbelievable power who could kill thousands and the only option given is to kill them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOooJW5SSDA
That or drive the Watchtower into it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaJ47V2pnUw

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Here's how Batman really interrogates people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtsSj11dU-c
And that's when he was green
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETk8eBbfN0
God that 2 parter was so great

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Johns is the guy who thought people would like Barry Allen over Wally West right?

Also from the set of Thor Ragnarock
https://twitter.com/MarkRuffalo/status/752718948152381442?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jimbot posted:

They were at least tricked into doing that hit mission by their country rather than secret nazis. Boy, was that one of the most spineless plot points put in modern movies. Instead of human greed and corruption and all the things that can come with power, it's secret nazi machinations who are responsible for all the terrible things in the world.

I really enjoyed the movie but that was some serious cringe.
I don't think the Russo's were trying to say anything about how lovely our government/NSA is but rather, "Okay we are adapting Winter Soldier, why don't we add a little Secret Warriors in there too?"

Of course its a secret Nazi cabal because its comic book movies, I want to escape from the troubling reality and just imagine that all the poo poo is because of a bunch of Nazis loving up our government/society.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why's that a comforting fantasy?
Its not when you think about it, I just don't go to a Marvel movie expecting to get some cutting edge political commentary and want to be entertained

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

computer parts posted:

That again goes back to the question of "why is a world that is objectively worse than the one we currently live in entertaining to you".
I don't know really at this point

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Now that I think about it I like the structure of the movies, I like the characters and their interactions, the action sans stuff like the Avengers is enjoyable for me; really now that I think about it, the one issue that I don't care is probably the world because its just the sandbox for the characters to play in. That and I'm a person who for some reason really sticks with a brand once I like it and I just like the Marvel brand and its an excuse to go to the movies twice a year with my friends and family since they are easy watches and no one I personally know dislikes the MCU brand.

Sorry I can't elaborate in intricate detail, but I'm not one to go beyond simplicity when it comes to discussing stuff like movies.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The implication is that American foreign policy since WW2 is such garbage that it may as well have been decided by a secret nazi cabal.

Doesn't explain why it was such garbage before WW2, though.
Well before WWII we still had foreign policy decided by racists and imperialists even by our most progressive Presidents like TR

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 15, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

I think the comics addressed this by saying that above all the various gods is a capital-G God that created the Marvel universe.
In the Marvel Universe God is actually Jack Kirby

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Burkion posted:

That's not a bug that's a feature.

Because it doesn't matter what side you take in World War 1

You're hosed no matter what. No one won that war.

It's seriously the best reason for her to abandon humanity.
It was really the nail in the coffin of the idea that going to war was this glorious thing.

I'm going to assume the bad guys are the Germans because people just assume the Germans in WW1 were already Nazis.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

If Zach Snyder loves dream sequences so much, why hasn't done a dream sequence with Cain and Abel from the Houses of Secrets and Mysteries yet!? :argh:
Is that Sandman movie dead now btw? I hope so, it would not translate well to film at all; put it on HBO to compete with American Gods on Starz

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Maybe the Defenders series will explain that giant loving hole in DD season 2.
Its a mouth to hell and the Defenders are going to have to beat up Mephisto and his demonic hordes

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

So what's the hold up on more creator owned superhero movies being greenlit? Or otherwise alternative ones to Marvel/DC? We had the Hellboy movies a bit before the current Marvel movie boom, where's a Savage Dragon movie? Or Invincible (by Walking Dead's Robert Kirkman). I could even see a Witchblade/Darkness movie being very cool.

Disney and WB are all in, you'd think some other companies would try to get these things going. Granted, there's a Power Rangers movie happening, that's a non-Marvel/DC superhero thingy sorta.
Darkness would be great if they got Mike Patton again to do the voice

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hemsworth and Ruffalo in a buddy movie where they go to space and Jeff Goldblum makes them fight, directed by the dandy vampire from What We Do in the Shadows, sounds so loving good that I can honestly only be disappointed probably.
That and Karl Urban is playing Skurge the Executioner which means they are probably going to recreate the most badass scene in comic books :getin:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The Tick reboot pilot is free on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/The-Tick/dp/B01J776HVW/
Its really good

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

When I saw Civil War in the theater, two preteens sitting behind me were aghast and appalled that a young petite nerdy dude was playing Peter Parker

Comic Books bring out the worst in all human life. Who would've thought.
I sat by a guy who would quietly repeat lines before they happened because he saw them in the trailer

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

You must be this tall to kill.
Then why does Keaton Batman have such a high deathcount?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

I'm really excited for Thor 3, this is weird.
The cast seems to be having fun which I bet is night and day compared to the filming of Thor 2

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

HIJK posted:

Dan Harmon's a funny guy and jokes are good.
I like his history channel webshow where he resurrects short term clones of famous people; my favorite being Paul F Thompkins as Edgar Allen Poe. Still no Bob Odenkirk as Lincoln though! :argh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tom Kenny as Lincoln seems more appropriate.
Yeah true, its mostly because the reason why Lincoln showed up a lot in Mr. Show was because Bob had an obsession with having him in skits.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Crosspost from BSS

Dacap posted:

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/769927705651392513

Here's Taika Waititi's short from SDCC showing what Thor was doing during Civil War

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

All I know about Prometheus is he was the main villain in Cry for Justice, in which everyone says the word "justice" a bunch of times and then he kills a bunch of people.
Didn't this comic also ruin Speedy/Red Arrow because killing a character's daughter means that your comic book can be taken seriously?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

The main beef of YJ that I have is the ridiculous levels of "just as planned" the villains had
Another problem the show had was that it was operating on the idea that the show was going to last seven seasons.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

I feel like it's in part a symptom of how the Russo movies want to be taken seriously as political thrillers and operate within the language of politics but are also super allergic to anything remotely resembling policy, so the whole concept of the Sokovia Accords just becomes this empty canard that's gonna get flouted and/or co-opted by existing moneyed interests from day one, and if we're really generous then that's maybe the (hyper-cynical) point

It also rules how the general geek culture zeitgeist is pro-Marvel and anti-DC but is also generally liberally-minded so like, there are some bonus points on the table that they can score if they also point out how Marvel movies support these egalitarian and tolerant values, how DC movies are vile right-wing power fantasies, how Zack Snyder is a die-hard objectivist, and so on. It's almost always hopelessly out of its depth, but like... it's just too drat tempting to pass up
I doubt that the Russos want their movies want to be taken that seriously

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

You know i should have seen that gbs post come to bite me in the rear end

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So do you just hate-read comics or what?
Hate reading comics sounds like a horrific money sink

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

A shame they didn't try to adapt Robbie Reyes's actual skull design

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, no poo poo.

Which admittedly is more of a flaming skull mask

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Eh its a fine enough show, I don't know why people get so worked up about it on either side

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I don't know if this has been posted already, but this guy made a pretty good response to that Every Frame a Painting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXsH88XlKM

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

greatn posted:

I think cap ends the film a wanted man on the lamb.
Along with his allies too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Drifter posted:

What's this in reference to? We all know George was elevated by the people who worked for him, before he became too big.
The wonderful guys at Red Letter Media

• Locked thread