Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

That's pretty loving impressive for a TV show.

This is a good description for pretty much all the CW shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

The rich billionaire character having a dream sequence about a future threat, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxkdS4TfGBo

Still a pretty great scene.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not sure if those scenes are meant to make the films do better in china (at least, most chinese articles and english articles about chinese audience reactions I've found seem to find them insulting and pandering), I think it's more that a film with scenes directed in China are more likely to make the list of allowed western films for that year (China has a protectionist system where western films can't outnumber chinese films, or somesuch), and when your film costs half a billion dollars you wantit available in all the regions.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nerds are wrong as ever. Already have bad vibes from the trailer promising a putatively futuristic society concerned with a medieval succession crisis.

I'm sure this is going to launch into a discussion of either capitalism or feudalism, but I feel like pointing out that a family leading a country and having a succession crisis is literally something that recently happened (behind-the-scenes, admittedly) in Cuba.

Also if we're going to talk about intellectual value Ta-Nahisi Coates is involved in its production, and he's one of the most prominent black intellectuals and pundits around, and specializes in systematic oppression and the impact of capital in continuing it.

Just wanted to head off any weird "marvel has no value" screed. Thank you for your time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

Ta-Nahisi Coates is a darling of neo-liberals. He might speak of systemic oppression and capital, but he does not speak to it in a material way.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/02/ta-nehisi-coates-case-for-reparations-bernie-sanders-racism/

That's a pretty dated article, specifically after he wrote an article wishing Sanders was more open to the concept of modern reparations. He was later interviewed and specified that he called Sanders out not because he considered him the worst offender, but because he considered him the best and only sane choice. Neoliberals quickly evaporated around him after that.

Basically his only 'crime' is not believing in tactical critique.

As for the rest of the post: as Shaglectic already said, BP and Wakanda are far more related to a desire for a What-If Africa, one that had been allowed to grow without being stunted by empires around them. It's less "we want to be the rich oppressors" in that context, and more "we want our fair share", which I'm sure any self-respecting leftist can relate to.

The existence of a royal family is not integral to the vision in any way but cultural; Wakanda has a royal family because Africa had a glut of royal families before they were put under heel. In that sense they serve as more of a modern-day british royalty; more symbolic of the country than commanding. Of course, this does not apply to all BP plotlines and certainly not more recent ones, such as TNC's run.

What I'm saying is, you're reading too much into a trailer where a young kid acts charismatic and then does stuff in a super suit.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 26, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

Actually it's his identity politics driven worldview.

I mean, if you would like to ignore the real effects of redlining in preventing black americans from receiving aid, sure. He's written plenty about a need for all poor americans to recieve what they are due, he simply also recognizes that some poor sects are worse off than others, and that without fixes to systemic problems that will continue.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In all fairness to Rogue One, I feel that there's a benefit to how it's changed; the original concept would have hit harder on the message but had niche appeal which means it would be more likely to have an audience that already agrees with the premise. It lost some edge by becoming more mainstream, but that also comes with having more mainstream appeal.

Also Whitaker doesn't really end up a Vader fascimilie outside of appearance; we only see one negative instance of his group (the city fight, and even that doesn't lean on them being bad). The scene with implications of torture has no "payoff"; it's described as unpleasant, but the deserter leaves unharmed in the long run.

Admittedly, I'm a bit soft on R1 because I like the ancillary message of "it's not actually possible to be apolitical"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Please. Don't be stupid.

Cyborg's would be selling chamois cloths and buffing heads.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Conal Cochran posted:

This is out of the blue, but I'm trying to remember and I ask this earnestly, when Batman Begins first came out did fans make as big of a discussion out of his "I don't have to save you line." and letting Raz Al Ghul die at the end as they did about him killing people in BvS?

Yep. It was a pretty common point of contention when discussing the film.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

There was certainly discussion of what a cop-out that is, particularly considering Batman caused the train accident that's about to kill Raz, and also all the people he killed blowing up the League of Shadow's lair. But it didn't break people's brains the way BvS did and wasn't nearly as large a part of the conversation.

I wouldn't necessarily say it 'broke their brains', more that comic fans frame nonserial superhero films as being contained in their own right (just as most comics are, especially Marvel's, which had an unwritten rule that the reader should be able to pick up any issue and figure out what the hell was going on). Their grievance was that Batman is not established in-film as having ever been less-than-lethal. If one wanted to appeal to them, it would involve changing the opening scene so that it's Batman and not Bruce, and have him not-kill an aggressor with a lethal weapon.

Obviously the counterargument is that they should know what Batman is like before even seeing the film, and understand that the film much like MoS relies on your prior knowledge of bea and vis as good figures. But I can understand their point of view, it's just another example of how a film can be interpreted in ways unforseen by the director as their work is observed and absorbed into pop culture.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

I do not recall this being the extent of people's grievances.

Well, obviously you can find sizzling hot takes of all varieties from the billions of people that exist on this rock. In my personal experience both anecdotal and reading/watching reviews their concern was generally less "batman should never ever kill" and more that it seems unprompted and nonsensical when they feel that they are expected to take Batmans' concerns seriously or with any merit. For a rather topical reviewer example: Rich Evans of RLM said that Batman was the only good part of BvS, and his primary annoyance was that he killed for no reason. I can't blame him for feeling that way when one of his biggest solo scenes, chasing the kryptonite van, is revealed to have been pointless.

I think the promotional material hyping it up as evoking DKR took out a lot of potential fervor over baman killing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

McCloud posted:

Not to be glib or anything, but you know that this particular power armor predates the hulk buster by about three decades, yeah?

https://imgur.com/a/RAcQD

Rest of armor chat aside, this doesn't necessarily mean that the inclusion of the batman armor is impossible to have been influence by AoU showing off a giant mech suit. Doesn't mean it's a ripoff ofc (and I dont think that's what MiddleOne was suggesting).

quote:

Neurolimal was saying that the kryptonite van chase was pointless at the time it happened, I'm saying that Bruce also realised that everything he'd done had been pointless in retrospect.

I'm just trying to show the thought process that would lead to such takeaways from the film, I dont like how close the two scenes were to each other but understand that was due to rough editing and even then it doesn't bother me too much. I simply like to look at things from the perspective of others, especially if they're being derided.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Batman already has a suit that closes of his emotions in the movie. It's the batsuit. He kills people cold-blooded while dressed up in it.

This is especially clear in the prison scene, where it becomes extremely obvious that the basic suit costume was designed to give off an inhuman visage:

Not sure if I said it here or in the JL thread but it's also a good example of how lighting specific the costume it; it's very obviously meant to be shown obscured in shadows, looking up at, or looking down from in a shot, and when shown off in JL in broad daylight at/close to neutral he just looks....really puffy. Like a life-sized He-man figure posing next to normal proportioned people.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 28, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Davros1 posted:

There's nothing "otherworldliness" about the texture. It still looks like a man in suit. Worse, it fails to even evoke a creepiness that it's suppose to project

I'm not even a fan of BvS/MoS and I think you're being a bit silly here. Even Snyder's detractors have never denied that he's great at making single frame shots, and that one is perfectly successful at making him look like an otherworldly creature, down to the appearance of a featureless black face.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It would have been far more effective and tactical if Batman had instead lubed himself up in grease to prevent superman from detaining him. He could wear those superengineered football gloves that effortlessly grab balls to hold the spear.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe it's just how lovely my day is going

But I kinda dig this now. It's cool. Dunno if I'll like the movie on a rewatch though.

I like that scene but mostly because Christopher Meloni aka Angry Cop Dad owns. He's the modern David Boreanaz, in that he has that dumb puppy charisma that emanates from their powerful foreheads.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Evans has said he'll be back if they want him back. Or in other words, if they want to pay him he'll keep doing the movies. Hemsworth is in the same boat. RDJ has said he feels like he's getting too old so he might be done, or maybe just backed down to cameos or voice work.

It also makes sense for Stark to martyr himself, considering every IM and Avengers film has dealt with him facing his issues, loving up, and realizing he can't play super-king. Letting go of it all and trusting everyone else to keep things under control is the natural conclusion.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

i think its called the Bifrost, and if you get pushed out mid way in between you end up in a fantastic four movie.

A fate worse than death.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The thought is awesome but you thought WB was rough with Justice League, I can only imagine how Disney would gut his film. But that said, they'll probably have the good graces of having him film the reshoots and let him keep his visual style.

I mean, for all the bluster people kick up over Disney oppressing directirial vision, the last 4 WB hero films have had extreme reshoots, color correction, directors leaving the project, and giant tonal shifts. Whereas all the Marvel films lay out their requirements beforehand, which is basically "work with Kevin Fiege so the film fits serially with the others".

Like, it seems less like Disney is strangling marvel films, and more that they've given Fiege incredible artistic control over an entire franchise of films.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I just realized he's dressed up in what is basically a black wifebeater. Not the style of shirt I'd expect some sort of mad intergalactic dictator to wear.

Thanos isn't really a dictator, he just has a huge crush on Death (the literal character representation of death) and has been making bigger and bigger murderpocalypse scenarios in the supervillain equivalent of "love-drunk kid stands outside your window with a boombox" displays.

I think he's been a ruler once or twice, and IIRC they went exactly how letting someone trying to get Death to notice them be your ruler would go (i.e him getting them all killed).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As someone with no real malice in either general direction, DC fans do give off a really powerful aura of insecurity.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It will be interesting to see how they handle Thanos, either if they go the Ronan route of being a basic movie-progressing plot device, the Loki route of a somewhat understandable villain (the spirit journey quote suggests this one), or the Ultron route of being a reflection of the main character that genuinely criticizes them.

I'm not too excited for that trailer, but trailers tend to be more indicative of the trailer editors' skill than the actual films quality. Every big budget action film has That Shot of a bunch of characters running at each other or a city blowing up, or the closest thing the film has to that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

teagone posted:

I'm the same way as I enjoy both Marvel and DC films alike and will call out a lovely film when I see it from either studio. But I also like revelling in all the dumb fanboy antics on social media because it's fascinating. From what I've seen, it's not really hard to see why DC fandom gets so defensive when any moment they express their interest in a DC film or Zack Snyder or whatever, they're almost always immediately bombarded with poo poo like "dumb DC movies are for retards and no one likes them, look at the RT scores and critic reviews" or idiots (sometimes even critics) saying stuff like "Zack Snyder is a self hating jew, congrats on enjoying the work of an Ayn Rand fanatic."

Dunno if it's the same in comic book fandom, but the for the movies it's generally like that.

For sure, I didn't mean to say it was entirely unjustified. Just something that came to mind when I read BotL's post about Thanos :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That was a general mockery of comic book writing, which has led people to praise the brilliance of the character who loves killing so much that it's literalized as him wanting to gently caress Lady Death.

I mean, he doesn't really love killing itself. It's pretty weird and I dont remember how his affection starts in the first place (near death experience?), but it's led to some good stories of Thanos tragicly abandoning any semblences of family and children he sometimes ends up with to try to earn the attention and respect of a god that doesn't even know he's there.

Basically purple Ahab in giving himself a futile and self-destructive quest. Grapehab

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You're trying to argue in favour of stories about a purple comic book spaceman called Thanatos who fucks up trying to please the Grim Reaper.

If you're trying to make the story sound uninteresting you're doing a bad job

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Superhero comics are neither particularly good or interesting. Even the good ones (from the Silver Age) are mostly only good because they're so bad, like Superman marrying Jimmy Olsen to a sacred ape to resolve a sub-Saharan traffic jam.

Jim Starlin's comics about Thanos, on which the limited fame of the character rests, are just superhero comics.

ok

i'm more interested in that than a film about how a hero is jesus, but that's the cool thing about opinions, everyone's got them.

DrNutt posted:

We can only hope that the movie is finished enough that suits can't go back and ask for extensive comedy reshoots as a result of how well received Ragnarok was.

Now i'm curious; has any marvel film had the kind of Suicide Squad/JL style complete tonal reshoots against the director's vision? I know Ant-Man had some pretty heavy retooling, but that was because Pegg threw a fit about something and left it unfinished.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Well that is what we call arrested development, where purple space tyrants with badly written monologues are considered as more profound than Christianity.

Someone with no ambitions of power becomes a tyrant? So what you're saying is we're going to get Citizen Kane in space? Cool.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Citizen Kane is a man about a very ambitious man, who does not become a tyrant.

You've moved into the realm of fantasy and hallucination.

I think you're watching the wrong thing, because I'm pretty sure that Citizen Kane the film doesn't start with him having a desire to be powerful or in control, he starts off much more idealistic than that, and slowly alienates and drives off everyone else before attempting to exert control over others in his field, ultimately ending in him escaping the film so that he can bury it critically.

Citizen Kane the Man might be different though, I've never met him.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Again, you're arguing for fantasy and hallucination. Kane acts based on his ambition to be independent and admired, and his idealism was always just a cover for his childishness.

That seems a pessimistic take, but whatever strokes your goat.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Movie Fight always seemed pretty dumb when movies are more than a single picture

especially when people usually pick the blurriest possible ones

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hate to break it to you but the film CITIZEN KANE is a little bit cynical.

I moreso meant her belief that he was always a horrible person who had no intentions of doing right by his fellows.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

[slamming fist on table] It's bullshit that we didn't get sexy naked lady Ultron and then I think the heroes have to get vored by her in order to destroy her from within or something? I dunno exactly what happened in that storyline, but comics are goofy as hell and it rules when writers/artists get to be so blatantly horny on main

I keep sending WB my script for Wonder Woman: the Horny Lantern but I never get a response back :(

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It depicts the fact that we'll all be bald from the chemotherapy we'll be going through to survive the sun's cancerous rays by the time we reach a flying car society. Very ahead of its time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The Sears approach to film production, just toss all the IP's on a table and say 'to the victor goes the spoils'.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

Ultron the character generally works in that movie (and is maybe the only thing not a complete mess), but no one is listening to him and nothing is learned.

As someone who actually likes AoU, I feel the movie would be worse off if Stark had learned the right lesson from Ultron, mainly because that would end Stark's storyline way ahead of everyone else and it would deprive us of the Ultron v. Vision argument scene, which was great.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My biggest issue with Ares and WW learning that you cant make everything ok by killing Big Baddy is that....it's a film connected serially to a story where she joins an organization whos purpose is to kill Biggest Baddies.

It's more of an end-story for a WW that quits the JL to focus on more intimate change, not a WW that then seeks even bigger versions of Ares.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The DC is even more bloated than the TC, but if you're watching BvS you're settling yourself into a long watch anyways and you might as well go with the one that's less disjointed.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It was interesting because I tried searching 'Wonder Woman MRA Reaction,' 'Wonder Woman Return of Kings' etc to find some sweet salt on that and there was like, nothing. I think they learned their lesson from Mad Max and Force Awakens that all they get is mocked, sadly.

IDK if MRA's would be complaining that a woman doesn't have enough muscles

Most conservative outrage is pretty shallow, so I doubt many of them would dump on a WW1 valkyrie leading a charge against evil proto-nazis, even if the ultimate moral is "war bad, there is no big bad guy controlling bad habits in humanity"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Cant wait for the Director's Cuts version of JL that digitally inserts a full beard on all of Cavill's scenes :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The biggest difficulty in gauging general audience reception is that current film industry goals are (perhaps intentionally) skewed in the worst way to figure that out. Your best bet for general audience reception in most mediums can be found through lasting appeal; rewatches, home copy sales, continued word of mouth, expanded material sales etc., whereas right now they're largely focused on hype-based first-week figures, which you can only really use to gauge advertising effectiveness/brand appeal/franchise enthusiasm.

IMO, from what we've generally seen:

1) BvS theatrical was very negatively received, considering its' titanic drop in sales in the second week

2) DVD/Blu-ray sales of BvS suggest a cult following of a cut with clearer editing

3) People in general liked Harley Quinn in SS, even if they didnt like SS (continued endurance of HQ-based tie-ins even as the movies' dies out)

4) Justice League is suffering from diminishing franchise enthusiasm/trust (evident from tepid first-week sales) and audiences weren't impressed enough to try to change that (BO sales continuing to dive afterwards).

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It is kind of weird how a movie named Suicide Squad ended up having vastly fewer character deaths than a Star Wars movie in the same year.

• Locked thread