Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Superman still has some semblance of a secret identity. AS Superman, he refers to his mother as Martha, as Clark, as "mom." Lex, knew his secret identity, so he would refer to her as "mom," Batman, who didn't know at this point, he was telling to rescue Martha Kent. I don't know why this has spawned so much Internety Internet complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Serious question: Do any of you use reviews or aggregators to determine if you're going to see a movie or not? They just seem pointless when you can watch a trailer within seconds and the theater-to-streaming/BluRay turnaround is like 3 months. Personally, sometimes I read them after the fact to help clarify my thoughts on a movie, but I decide on going to one if my friends want to go, it looks good from trailers, or both.

I used to when reviewers like Ebert who really understood and new film were alive and around. They have a point of view I could base "is this worth planning around"...around.I could read their reviews and get a general idea of what I was in for and if I'd get something from it.

Now that the aggregate sites are filled with people that just made websites and got popular enough to be on there without really studying film (I was doing the same thing in my 20's, and my reviews were as lovely as these currently are), they have become pointless because it's a POV that doesn't have any bearing on how I will receive someting.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Marvel movies do a good job of distilling the basic formula of the blockbuster movies from Jaws down to today on a surface level. Especially the latter era as the balance shifted more towards humor and action than drama.They also balance this with visuals that they ensure don't challenge a person while watching (People feeling "tired" when watching movies often comes from directorial choices that subconsciously make them think or feel - using soft, brighter colors with no hard oppressive shadows, flat angles, etc. have the opposite effect on relaxing people. See how Jurassic Park starts off extremely flat, with soft lighting until the T-Rex attack, where the movement/angles/etc. all jump up ridiculously, to make the viewer feel more jumpy/uneasy. Now compare how TLW NEVER gives you the softer feels of JP). Combine with non invasive scores that are not very percussion heavy and focus more on just flowing, and you have a lot of set formula decisions meaning you'll never turn off the average person who EXPECTS this from every big blockbuster movie they see.

It's very comparable to a McDonalds or something that gives you an expected product for an expected price. But there are varying degrees of fast food quality, and some quality in some fast food has dropped over the years, even though people still buy it. That analogy is actually apt in many of the arguments here.

The other arguable part is whether movies that purposely buck that formula are "bad" for doing so.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

True, and I'm just trying to generate some real discussion. So then let's discuss something that leads us to: why are people willing to accept that Tony Stark means well when he fucks up and people die, but when you try the same defense with Superman from Man of Steel it is rejected out of hand?

(sidenote: This is why arguing these Marvel things is so frustrating: something that works in isolation in the context of a Marvel movie dies on the vine when ported to another film. So you have people arguing that "it's easy, just do it like Marvel" but when you actually start pointing out those "Marvel elements" in other movies they concede they don't work there!)

Tony Stark is a man everyone wants to be and expresses that by doing what they expect to do if they were him. He's the smartest man in the world and the richest and he flaunts it constantly and buys super expensive cars and sleeps with everyone and shows up everyone in the room. He fucks up, but that's okay because you know he'll fix it because he's you and you would fix in in your projection of yourself.

Superman is someone everyone wants to be (the most powerful person in the world who can do anything)...and...DOESN'T do what most people would do with it! He holds his powers back, and hides who he is behind a quiet, unassuming dude, and is hesitant about jumping into things. It frustrates people, so when he messes up, they're like 'of course it's his fault, he's an idiot, that's not what I would have done - this proves that it's bad writing and they don't get the character!" They would rather see something like Hancock where a guy with Superman's powers just gets wasted and bangs women and...oh wait, the movie is about how racism actually held back that character and he's actually giving up on love altruistically to basically live in solitude, never mind, that sucks too. They love Batgod but hate any time Batman fucks up completely or decides to retire. Etc.

Follow discussions on any superpowered character, and you start to see that kind of projection pattern.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I loved The Godfather as a kid, so I dunno about all that. Are you talking about ages 3-5 or how young?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crion posted:

Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are perfectly fine. Christian Bale and Katie Holmes, on the other hand,

Well, Rachel kept brushing him off for the entire movie and didn't like him, so that makes sense.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

At best he reads the back of the TPB and a wiki summary.

He storyboards his own movies, and often uses comic panels as reference for doing so. He kept Action Comics #1 on him at all times while directing MoS/BvS.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

greatn posted:

I've honestly come to appreciate Goyer's style. It's very light on exposition and relies a lot on the director to step up the visual storytelling though. He's lucky his biggest scripts were done by Nolan and Snyder.

Ehhhh....Batman Begins was basically all exposition. Fear fear fear fear FEAR fear Fear...FEAR, explain oneself completely, repeat. Nolan(s) wrote more of Dark Knight and even more of DKR to the point where they probably basically did all of both, and the differences show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The dude said that every comic book movie prior to 2008 wasn't as entertaining as Marvel's worst stuff.

Edit: this came off as harsh so I changed it but come on. Nearly everyone in this thread likes Marvel movies.

The Rocketeer, which is the template every Marvel movie is based on, is better than every Marvel movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Do you think the very similar look of all Zack Snyder films is just a pure coincidence and he has no input on how the movie visually looks? They don't all share a cinematographer.

BvS looks nothing like Man of Steel which looks nothing like Dawn of the Dead. Larry Fong's cinematography is very distinctive, and the ones he did are the ones that look the most similar.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No, it was specifically that they did brownface on Zoe Saldana for some strange reason.

Brownface and a general lack of roles for darker female actors, combined. You have the latter, then a slap in the face to brownskin a lighter person.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

People today always tell me 1st season Next Generation sucked and that TOS hasn't aged well but holy poo poo have people who say that watched any other sci-fi tv from the 60s and 80s? Most of it was mega-poo poo we simply don't even remember today.

Yes, but being at the peak of poo poo doesn't mean it isn't still poo poo. Like, Transformers was generally a terrible cartoon and nothing more than a toy commercial, and being the top of the toy commercials doesn't change the fact that it was still a toy commercial.

DS9 aged decently, however, as a comparison, and had some really powerful episodes that served as better social commentary than TNG did.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 15, 2016

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Batman kills in Batman 66, Batman 89, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, I'm pretty sure Baleman ices some dudes or at least doesn't care anymore that Catwoman does, plus that lovely two-faced "I don't have to save you!" thing. Interesting definition of "usually". According to your way of viewing Batman, Batman & Robin is truest to what Batman "is really about", whatever that means.

Batman ends up not being Batman any more in the Nolan movies by using a gun to shoot two people and kill them because he had to, getting a real girlfriend, and giving up the stupid Batman crap. So yeah, he definitely does, outside of doing stuff like blowing up the League's base and killing everyone by doing that and slamming Two Face off a building.

The cartoon Batman is the most well received because he's the best at everything and total wish fulfillment. He fucks Lois, Zatanna, Wonder Woman, and more people, he's totally the best member of the League even though he has no powers and he dodges Omega beams. His character flaws were brought up and fixed within singular episodes for the most part. Beyond is the only thing that really salvages that character.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The "message" of TDKR re: Occupy, etc. is that disaffected people often look for heroes and are often fooled by demagogues who use rhetoric that appeals to those disaffected people, only to really be manipulating them for their own ends and being the opposite of what they're preaching. And that well meaning liberals can get too much up their own rear end and help hurt society by doing so at the same time.

Bane was all about the "little person" and taking down the "fat cats" and giving the power (bomb) to the "people" while actually being backed by the elite (Talia) who really held the power for her own destructive goals.

Nobody paid attention to that point, though, and then people elected Trump.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

It's not dire in the sense that WB will stop making DCEU movies, no. I'm just commenting on Drifter's original question of why it's so hard for WB to get their DCEU films made in comparison to Marvel and their cinematic universe. The issue I have with what happened with the DCEU's solo Batman film is that talks with Matt Reeves fell through likely because WB wouldn't give him creative control, and so he walked. Then a few weeks later Matt Reeves signs back on the project. Like, good lord WB, why couldn't you come to an agreement the first time? Sure, the negotiations were definitely more complicated and had terms/agreements that I'm totally unaware of, but that to me shows a sign of what's partially responsible for WB having a rocky start to their DC movie universe.

Because DC uses film directors instead of TV directors.

It's easier to reign in guys that have done a lot of TV and are looking to make a jump to big-budget film production and are therefore willing to make adjustments to their vision to do that, than it is to reign in more proven talent with their own vision and get them to sacrifice it for company.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Marvel/TV director thing made sense in the period when you had Whedon having just made Avengers and Marvel hiring Alan Taylor and the Russos to do phase-two movies. It ignored people like Kenneth Branagh and Joe Johnston, and now it definitely doesn't stand up to their next four movies coming from James Gunn, Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler, and Jon Watts.

Branaugh was the outlier.

Faverau did a bunch TV, Swingers, Elf, and the quasi Jumanji sequel (and had problems with the studio by the time of IM2), Johnston is the most workman of workmen directors ever, possibly, who is always on budget, under time, and does what the studio wants, Whedon is TV and Serenity, Alan Taylor and the Russos are TV.

Simultaneously, DC was working with Nolan (critical director darling), Snyder (who had only done film, pretty much how he wanted, extremely stylistically), and bringing in people like Affleck (Academy Award winning director), David Ayer (who wrote critically acclaimed stuff but directed a bunch of gritty, more "personal" stuff) to direct their movies. Oh, and Martin Campbell, haha, who is Joe Johnston 2.0.

It was a huge gulf, and that mostly also explains the difference in press and conflict around productions. When Marvel hired someone with a similar track record to a Nolan or Snyder (Wright), he left.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Flash would be a better fit for him because I'd rather the more mainstream thing get more social commentary.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

A stealth remake of The Fly where Kirsten Dunst shotguns MaguireSpider to death at the end.

This movie already exists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_vs._the_Spider_(2001_film)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

People that say the movie misses the point read Watchmen for the first time a decade later and think that the heroes purposely look "goofy," and are not, instead wearing slightly more practical and grounded versions of suits that comics at the time had. So when they see that the film does the same to the superhero film outfits of the time, they think it's "trying to look cool" and "doesn't get it." The same goes for stylization of action seqences.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, the people who say it misses the point are talking about the ending.

In the comic they use a psychic squid that is completely unknown and alien to unite humanity against an outside threat to end war.

In the movie, they use Dr. Manhattan because it is easier to do narratively and the good Doctor is an American, who was allied with the American government, and fought in the American army. They try to really stress that he isn't "really American" anymore, but I doubt that Russia and all the other countries who just got bombed by Doctor Manhattan would see it that way and unite with America.

Not to mention: "Be eternally prepared and united to defend the human species against an alien threat that is coming" is a more compelling reason to unite humanity than "Manhattan bombed many major cities and then left because he thought humanity wasn't special. We need to prove that we are or he might come back."

The completely alien force and impending invasion to unite humanity for hundreds of years makes more sense than using Manhattan.

I was generally okay with the movie ending, but it does lose some of the cohesiveness and crazy punch that the comic ending had.

I see far more people that point it at the aesthetics and Snyder trying to be "cool" than those that complain about the squid. The squid complaints I heard when the movie first came out, as its aged and people have accepted/defended the Manhattan change but want to focus on Snyder being dumb instead.

And the world didn't know Manhattan left because he found humanity boring; they thought he basically became a self appointed god that judged humanity as unworthy and killed a bunch of people all over the world, meaning all nations would have to band together to work against this now, outside, source.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, the guy that did the Snyder (and Nolan) movie music is selling out his concert tour around the world and just did Coachella with all of this outside of a guest appearance being all his film scores. Hard to top that right now (but he just quit doing superhero movies).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

ITT:

Many male goons unable to comprehend distinction between "sexy" and "attractive" from a woman's perspective.

My female friend and I both agreed that Cavill was the most attractive and sexy man we ever met.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked the Red Hood movie and a couple of the weirder one-off things (like the Adam West Batman movie was at least interesting), but once I see that "generic new DC animation style" pop up, I know it's going to pretty much be a straight, bland adaptation of a lame recent comic and I lose all interest.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Man, I feel really bad for him.

Also, a combo Whedon and Snyder film will create a black hole that will destroy CineD.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alehkhs posted:

How far through production is Justice League at this point, anyways?

Whedon wont be doing much. Just fill ins, reshoots, and post.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna limit it to super-hero movies because

these are all obvious but feel like cheating. Honestly, X2 might be right up there, and Deadpool's script is definitely the highlight of the movie (along with ryan reynolds in general), which is not something one says about superhero movies ever.

Pure script? Full Watchmen script probably, but that's also cheating.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Phylodox posted:

The Spider-Man theme is boss, and I enjoyed the Age of Ultron soundtrack, while not being a huge fan of what I've heard of Junkie XL, so I'm pretty okay with this news. It's fun to watch all the panicking in this thread, though.

Mad Max's score is better than anything Elfman has done in the last 20 years.

The best way to look at Elfman is that whenever Zimmer steps in to do what Elfman did before, he blows him out of the water. Batman 89 ha a memorable thing, but a pretty whatever score - the Nolan trilogy had an amazing score. Spider-man had a great theme, but Zimmer's Amazing 2's score was inventive and really, really good. This is a reverse, where Zimmer already created memorable themes for the characters, leaving the score (which is Elfman's weaker point).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Phylodox posted:

I mean, I'm pretty much exactly the opposite of this. Neither the Nolan films nor the Amazing Spider-Man 2's score really did anything for me at all. Meanwhile, the Batman theme is iconic, and the Spider-Man's main theme (and Doc Ock's theme) remain some of my favourite to this day.

Themes are different than scores. Early Elfman was great at making themes, but not so great at making scores. It makes sense, as Elfman was a pop artist that made catchy songs. So, when he scored, he would make a "catchy song" for a section of the film, that didn't necessarily ebb and flow with what was going on on screen. Lots of his old scores, including Batman, are basically a song popping in when something happens in the movie.

Later Elfman got better at scoring, and as he got better at scoring, his themes became a little less apparent, as, he was no longer making "songs" (which are easier to remember) but attempting to flow in and out of what was happening on screen. Spider-man 2 is probably the best mix of old and new Elfman that we got.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Again, I gotta disagree. I think Elfman is good at making strong themes, yeah, but also working them into a coherent musical soundtrack, kind of like John Williams. You can almost follow what's going on in the movie just based on the music (but not as strongly as William's work on Star Wars). Zimmer's work on the Batman films left me cold because it sounded kind of like a generic Zimmer score where he forgot to layer in most of the themes. And I just didn't care for his Spider-Man theme, which just kind of sounded like a generic fanfare to me.

Forgot to layer in themes? Zimmer stuff tends to blend in more because it's tonal, but the Nolan Batman scores are always weaving themes in and out. Take these as prime examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox7S0Nttbh0

And with an actual example with visuals, the score is always playing around with exactly what is going on, on screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjffIi2Pl7M

It goes from the "fishy pasta" (Lazarus) Pit score used for the pit, fails (and the score fails), hits the Thomas Wayne/Young Bruce theme when he recalls being lifted back up, and goes into the triumphant "rise" Batman theme when he succeeds.

The "height" of Elfman's Batman scoring is basically just him playing a very trumphant song as a car is driving. A good song, but it's not telling a story in the same manner. There's no Vicki motif, no cave motif, the driving "theme" never comes back - it's basically just a song with a variation of the Batman theme in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnVl_TXhoZs

edit: Movie Score Fight, heh

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 15, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Another movie score fight:

In Amazing Spider-man 2, as much as I don't remember any of this movie, the score itself has Spider-man's motif "fighting" Electro's motif through the whole fight with one overriding the other depending on what is going on (but still blending together perfectly and flowing throughout):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msoyjm3gCBM

In Spider-man 2, in the most similar scene, which is one of Elfman's best, he does this somewhat, but has to revert to a lot of start/stop with the score to make it work. It works in both instances, but the former takes a bit more skill to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgrUa-IOf_8

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Phylodox posted:

A better example would probably be the dancing/fighting scene at the end, with Joker's whimsical waltz interspersed with Batman's more ominous theme.

Okay, Movie Score Fight P3:

In BvS, during the Superman fight, again, the motifs are telling the whole story. Batman's motif is overriding most of the battle, Superman starts to rise a bit, and it calls back to the motif of Superman rising against the world engine in MoS, Batman still beats him up, but as Superman gets his power back, the Superman theme starts to come in...but since he becomes the aggressor, it changes entirely to the Zod/city destruction theme instead. Very subtle, but also drives the scene because there are a ton of score callbacks to emotional moments that happened before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y4LlY-on3k

Here's the Batman vs. the Joker scene you referenced (unless your'e talking about the cathedral fight before that) which seems to be more Mickey-Mousing than really telling a story in the same manner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptNkOgvfd1E

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Phylodox posted:

I mean, I just hate Zimmer's Spider-Man fanfare.

It's my least favorite of all the superhero fanfares he's done, but then again, I don't like that Spider-man at all either. His Electro work with Junkie XL was fantastic though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Eh, I like to bag on Marvel as much as the next guy, buy they did do the excellent Mandarin twist in Iron Man 3.

Iron Man 3 is also the most non "Marvel Movie" Marvel movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I was nonplussed by Homecoming. It was...there...and I'll forget most of it after the fact. Nothing in particular really stood out to me, but I didn't "mind" anything i saw.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

It kinda sucks that it's going to be delayed but honestly Deathstroke is the least interested option for a Batman villain IMO

I agree with that. Deathstroke isn't even really a Batman villain, for good reason.

Also, Black Panther's best antagonist is Dr. Doom. Equally as smart (actually a little "smarter," but eh), runs his own Eastern European isolationist country, trying to invade the African country for its resources.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RevolverDivider posted:

Death Note looks interesting, and I like that they're willing to change stuff and do a different spin on it. Light was a supervillain from day one in the anime, and it looks like they're going for a more gradual descent into insanity which plays better for this.

I normally don't care about fidelity to the source, but the Ddaw of Death Note to me wasn't the conceit of the Note itself, it was two sociopaths going at it because of their egos - basically Sherlock vs. Moriarty with a supernatural twist, with the protagonist being Morarty this time. Losing the "they are both sociopaths from the start" aspect kind of loses the point of it to me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

You do know the action choreographer on The Matrix was Yuen Woo Ping, director of Drunken Master and Snake In Eagle's Shadow (among a pile of other all time greats), right?

He was working with people that weren't forced into child slavery in theatrical schools their whole lives and it hurt the choreography greatly.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

I just think complaints about the (excellent) action in The Matrix often, and in this case explicitly, come with a heh, how can you enjoy this American pablum obviously you haven't seen the brilliant work of the Chinese masters :smug: when it's actually "how can you enjoy the work of Yuen Woo Ping with real money I have seen the work of Yuen Woo Ping with seven yuan and a tray of jiaozi as his whole budget". A gifted cast of physical actors is a huge plus but wouldn't even be appropriate for the setting, style, themes, or aesthetic of The Matrix. I think complaints about wirework amount to the same thing as complaints about CGI

The comparison would be arguments against someone saying the action in Hard Target is great or the action in Rush Hour is great. If you've seen The Killer and Hard Boiled, etc. already, you'll probably have a different opinion of the lesser version of some of the same stuff in Hard Target, while if you haven't, you might think that some of that stuff is really awesome. Same with The Matrix, the fight scenes were lesser version of things we've seen in wuxia films, and would be underwhelming to people who had already seen those, while being fresh and new and more amazing for someone who hadn't. The actual fight scenes in The Matrix aren't really good at all (Reloaded actually improved them a great deal, probably helped by Keanu not being as injured and more used to it), but other things stand out in the film that make them "good enough."

Darko fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 21, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Just to understand what you two are talking about, you're addressing specifically the hand-to-hand martials arts stuff in The Matrix, not the entirety of the action, right? That is to say, you're not talking about the bullet-time gunplay, which was a huge part of the first movie.

I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm friends with guys that did the bodybuilding circuit and, yeah, a lot of the conceptions of how steroids work and act by the public is...weird. Even the meaness and ball shrinkage are not universal. And they mostly just mean "your muscles heal faster so you can work out more." While I'd have to wait a day or two to work on bicepts again due to having to wait for them to heal from the last time I worked on them, depending on the roids, a friend could work on them the next day.

• Locked thread