Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sassassin posted:

I don't care how good Affleck's nutritionist is or how much free time he supposedly has, a 45 year old man doesn't drink as much as he does and look like Batman without some chemical help.

All Cavill and Momoa do in their off-time is get wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Burkion posted:

The Death Note movie is loving art and I love it.

For reference, I hate Death Note and this feels like a movie made for me. The character of the main dude from the manga is basically put into his girlfriend and it's great.

His girlfriend in the movie is nothing like Light in the manga. Light is an ubermensch Moriarty in the manga and absolutely perfect to everyone until his mask falls off at the very end. His girlfriend in the movie is like one of the mobsters Light gives the Note to in the manga.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

hump day bitches! posted:

Everybody in Spartacus nailed it , but Jai Courtney somehow got away with a career.He just keeps doing flaming garbage so it will catch up to him.
I miss spartacus so bad, never felt so attached to characters than watching that show.

I know this is late, but since Spartacus' showrunner is directing Pacific Rim 2, he managed to stick Gannicus in that, at least.

Who really should have, but doesn't get, more work - is Liam Mcintyre. He really did well in it in actual *acting* and only seems to pop up every blue moon in random stuff waaaay in the background.

Given all the Spartacus actors' athletic chops, I'm really suprised they haven't shown up in more comic movies. I mean, you have the obvious "this is madness" from 300 that probably got Mensah cast in Spartacus, and everyone showed up in the Arrowverse once, but movies basically draw a blank outside of...Courtney...again.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Regarding the Christian imagery in Wonder Woman, some sects, ie. Jehovah's Witnesses (who think that Satan was cast to earth in 1914) think that the Devil controls the world and is behind wars like World War 1, making the Ares ---> Satan connection even more close in comparison.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Danny Elfman's Hero Theme from Justice League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojyuFzWA0v4

Ugh, goddamit, could they have gotten anyone but Elfman on this?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean that's literally the first time I've seen anyone anywhere say that about DK which I always assumed was the best regarded one by a margin. The CD opinion on DKR is considerably better than elsewhere tho

Ask people who like TDK the most how they thought things like score (weakest of the 3, with dog chases cars being the large standout and great, but not quite as rich throughout), cinematography (weakest of the 3; not as beautiful as Rises, not as varied as Begins), or other technical aspects were better than the other two, and many will just cross eyes - which is kind of the difference between this forum and other opinions.

Without dissemination of each aspect of a film while watching, opinions are often mostly formed by expectation and realization of, and TDK is the Batman film that matched expectations the most, while TDKR is the one that subverted them the most.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 11, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Who cares?

People that care to understand and explain why they like what they like or vise versa.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah I'd have to note that between all 3 soundtracks I basically only have TDKR tracks in my "driving around" list, with tracks like Imagine the Fire or The Fire Rises.

Zimmer seems to prefer Rises as well since he stressed that more in his concert.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Super Fan posted:

He hardly said much of anything

Agreed. I just said aficionados of anything generally have different tastes and appreciation points.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody cares about movie scores. Most people wouldn't care that one movie has better cinematography than another, not to mention that sounds subjective as gently caress. What people do care about is a plot that makes at least a little bit of sense. TDKR did subvert my expectations because I went in expecting a movie at least as good or better than TDK and instead I got... that. I spent the whole movie wondering if I was crazy for thinking it was dumb until I got to the very end with the Robin reveal, then I realized that no, this actually does suck.

That's not actually explaining anything though. That's just an adjective. WHY did it suck? Wht did the plot make no sense? If you don't give an actual thoughtful perspective in discussion, how can one gain appreciation in any manner? (Even with thoughtful negatives of how things are done wrong - it raises appreciation for when other films do things right.)

For example, I'll explain why I appreciated the Robin reveal.

Im a movie that purposely included a wide range of many aspects and tales of Batman, from standard continuity, to his most famous Elseworlds, to Adam West, etc., and answered the question of how this general character can succeed, creating a character that combined aspects of Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, and Jason Todd and simply naming him Robin, to encapsulate all (and it works as a reveal, as people realize after the fact that hes been carrying on the Robin role the entire film), is a good companion to that. I liked that, personally.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also a score in a film is part of the plot when done well; and its a major part of the film dialogue and plot (along with the cinematography) in the Nolan Batfilms. There's an important reason why the same cue as young Bruce in the well comes into play and turns into the new "Rise" theme when Bruce is reborn and rises out of the (Lazarus) pit. That kind of auditory storytelling is important for show, don't tell filmaking, that, yes, many people don't (actively) recognize.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Dark Knight Returns features an aging Bruce Wayne who returns to the role of Batman after a decade-long absence, and who suffers a humiliating defeat the first time he faces the Mutant Gang leader. I admit saying it had the same arc might have been a bit inaccurate given they end in different places.

It's hardly the only source of inspiration (No Man's Land and Knightfall are the obvious other stories Rises draws from) but it's one of the most influential and well-regarded Batman stories of all time. It helped redefine people's expectations of a Batman story, so while the idea of an old Batman returning to the field might once have been a bold idea now it's one of the standard concepts for a story (see also Batman v Superman).

Dark Knight Returns features a Batman who goes into retirement, comes back out, and kicks rear end - finally ending by "beating" Superman and going underground as training Batmen forever.

Dark Knight Rises features a Batman who quits after like a year of being Batman and tries to make clean energy for Gotham, figures out it could become a bomb and shelves it, becomes a recluse, gets drawn out by a new guy and tries to be Batman again, alienates everyone from his life, fails miserably at being Batman again, realizes that being Batman is dumb and empowers the city instead, still fails again and gets bailed out by the "city" (Selina), realizes that he might have to shoot guns and kill people at times to succeed, and then quits being Batman for good.

Here are a few of the main things it did completely different than the comics, and what people VERY VOCALLY complained about when it came out - on these forums as well, but also places like AICN and Reddit if you want to see it for yourself:

- Batman was only Batman for a short time and stopped being Batman
- Batman alienated Alfred
- Batman would never quit being Batman (probably the biggest one)
- Batman would never shoot a gun and kill someone
- Why does Bane talk and act like that

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

You forgot "how'd he get back to Gotham so fast??"

Oh yes, that's from the people who apparently didn't see Begins where a penniless on purpose Bruce traveled the world for shits and giggles. That one was a big head scratcher for me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

multiple man played by james franco is some real monkeys paw poo poo

The Deuce is a surprise prequel to the movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, the Marvel formula is a basic 3 act story, amd whenever something gets serious, insert a joke to offset it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I find it more fascinating that people get so defensive when someone says they didn't like BvS or MoS.

I don't even really *like* BvS; it's just that a good part of CineD understands a subjective dislike or "I would have preferred something else here" where the people that run to GBS and complain (people really run to GBS to complain about specific subforums, haha) can't understand why their poorly articulated and thought out "this is objectively bad" gets ripped apart.

It's just the difference between knowing how to express yourself and not.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'll give one tiny example. When reading Blazing's rants, one thing really stood out to me - he stated one reason the movie was bad, and I paraphrase, is that "the world's greatest detective was dumb."

There are two glaringly wrong things with the way he's expressing that.

The first is that the actual text and dialogue and even visuals tell you that Batman became dumber because of the shock of Metropolis. We are shown visuals of Batman being traumatized by the destruction, destruction that is obviously shot to parallel 9-11 imagery and bring to mind the U.S. paranoid response to 9-11. We have Alfred literally saying that every since then, Batman basically flipped out and has lost it (along with other people alluding to it as well), and we have this happening in the movie. So, even when given a reason for Batman being an idiot, the reason is not accepted.

Which could be a fine, personal issue ("I would prefer if his trauma was focused on in a way that made it feel more "real" to me or something") , but presented as BO did, which is basically what you see in Facebook comments in blaming the movie for things that were explained, it becomes a weird non argument that makes no sense.

Secondly, nowhere in the movie does it say that Batman is the world's greatest detective, that I can recall. This is important, because, with 18 billion iterations of Batman, and this movie being an elseworld like vampire Batman and Steampunk Batman and Batman Beyond and anime Batman and manga Batman and Nolan Batman and Batman 89 - it's taking the base concept and building a new character off of it. And half of the time, these Batmen are and have been average or poo poo detectives who are fooled very often.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

There are good magnetoes and bad magnetoes. The First Class one is good.

And also one of the the closest one to the more separatist type "let's make our own nation and not integrate with white people" thought of the Civil Rights movement that the better versions represent.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

All those cabs and cars were empty when the aliens fired plasma grenades into deadlocked rush hour traffic

They are, from what I remember, haha. While MoS makes it purposeful to show the gravity thing is actually killing people.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, we got that in JL and it was loving garbage.

Yeah, this is how I felt too - it was EXACTLY what people asked for in complaints of MoS and it was really distracting and annoying for me.

Celtic, how did you feel about Superman smiling and saving people everywhere in Justice League in how it fit in with the situation on screen, as compared to how he was in MoS and how it fit that situation? Honest question.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

It was bad. They changed his character too much without a period where he's able to change. He's just a different character. You could've had him slowly get to where he ended up and have it work, but he'd have to be in the film more and the film should've been able to breathe for a second.

And the mustache thing ruined every scene.

I agree with this, for the most part. I LIKED the more introverted Superman because, well I'm an introvert and can relate more, and it reminded me of the few good parts of Birthright, etc., but I do understand not preferring that take on him. However, this complete 180 shouldn't appease anyone (although I see comments from a bunch of people who are all "thats MY Superman" now).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm black. I don't really care how "black people" might view BP because "black people" have lots of different opinions. For example, I am definitely highly skeptical of Disney "Afrofuturism".

I am black (and have been to various parts of Africa, at least, so I do have different pieces of first-hand experience with different countries at the very least), and am mostly agreeing with Hundu here as well. There was nothing really jarring about the Africa scene in BvS to me because the whole movie is about white guy Luthor setting up a bunch of crap to screw with Superman, and the Africa scene squarely puts the focus on the PMCs with that context. On the flip side, I am very, very wary about Black Panther, as a lot of it could easily be sheen to cover a lot of underlying problematic things - it's hard for me to trust Disney to handle that kind of material with any real nuance or understanding, as they tend to pander to mainstream interests too much. Case in point, Rogue One being written as a movie that gives a more nuanced looked at terrorism, being whittled down to create a protagonist that never actually gets her hands dirty.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Conal Cochran posted:

This is out of the blue, but I'm trying to remember and I ask this earnestly, when Batman Begins first came out did fans make as big of a discussion out of his "I don't have to save you line." and letting Raz Al Ghul die at the end as they did about him killing people in BvS?

Batman Begins was the first "not my Batman" I remember seeing, and that was a MAJOR sticking point for a lot of people. There were just less of them because it was coming off of And Robin as opposed to TDK to TDKR where way more popped up.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

If it was meant to fulfill the exact same purpose, then it didn't succeed in getting that across

How didn't it. Not only did it tie into the Arthurian stuff going on throughout the movie visually, it obviously let him be slammed through walls and hit by a weakened Superman, and delayed the fight long enough for him to hit him with kryptonite twice, which is what he wanted to do.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know people absolutely loathe John Ottoman's X-Men theme but you have to admit that Avengers poo poo is bottom of the barrel. Worst of the worst, total stinker.

It's a shame because the composer did one of the most awesome themes ever. I have no idea how he fell off so much (just like Elfman, really).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSqw9Yn_RMQ

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timby posted:

The best X-Men score is John Powell's work on The Last Stand and it isn't even close.

Yep. Last Stand >> First Class >>>> X-Men Apocalypse/Days of Future Past Where Ottman ripped off Zimmer > Everything else.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Last Stand is better than it gets credit for. The director even successfully apes Singers style for the most part and the story has individually some very good scenes and well written ones. Just as a whole the script sucks and the story sucks and Ratner felt the need to insert dumb memes like Juggernaut bitch.

Unlike most cultural references, "Juggernaut bitch" won't be confusing or stand out at all over time because it works as just a dick saying a dickish thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still don't get why blockbuster movie soundtracks are so poo poo nowadays. When did that knowledge get lost?

Zimmer is extremely effective at what he does because of subtle motif usage that tells a story in itself, directors like Zimmer's style so they temp track stuff with Zimmer stuff and the composer just does tonal music without telling a story with it.

For the other movies, directors who don't care that much about composition don't work closely with their composer on the film, and it's whatever. Without the old style "composer goes crazy with melodies" stye of scoring, this doesn't work.

Dunkirk's (blockbuster) score was arguably the most important part of the movie and drove it more than anything so it still happens; there are just like, 3 composers who consistently work with their directors in detail on scores and a lot of people that could pull out greatness are overworked or rushed.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj8mN_7Apcw

Oh they went and went full anime eyes with Battle Angel, haha.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The direction it's going is different, and after the initial shock, I'm happy we didn't get some generic GitS design, but actually something that may match the weirdness of the manga.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Cameo posted:

And also, spoiler alert: nobody actually gives a poo poo what's on your bookshelf.

Basically, if you're actually cool, people think what you like is cool, for the most part.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I saw a guy who had the smile tattoo on his hand. I thought that was really strange. Your favorite character is The Joker? It's even weirder when they have a girlfriend that's into Harley Quinn. What about this appeals to you? The abuse? You know they're doing some freaky rear end sex poo poo. I've also seen a shitload of Zod emblems on the backs of cars, what is up with that?

Depends on the Joker. If its the Grant Morrison one, for instance, you see the world for the farce it is and see nothing really matters in the end. Etc. The Joker has even more portrayals than Batman, so people can latch on to any singular one. Nolan one believes people are naturally weak and selfish and will turn to selfish destruction if pushed in the right direction, and post-Trump society, there is a reason to take that kind of worldview, for instance,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can't even think of a good joke for the Disney/Fox thing.

It's just not really funny at all.

A monopoly of almost all blockbuster films is pretty much the antithesis of how the blockbuster movement started in the 70s. It's just terrible.

• Locked thread