Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wait, so is DC like...scrapping the New 52 and folding it back into the old continuity or are they throwing everything into the trash and starting over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I got a chuckle out of Batman managing to find his way on the cover of Action Comics. Where's Dick Grayson ending up? Nightwing again? Still Secret Agent Man?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Barry is Silver Age. Wally represented the modern age 80s-00s.

He was saying Wally was sacrificed to bring back the Silver Age aka Barry Allen aka MY CHILDHOOD WAS BETTER THAN YOURS.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dacap posted:

Nightwing again with the black and blue costume

Sweet. I like that more than the red and black thing they did with all the Robins in New 52. When does this thing roll out/when do I need to buy yet another Nightwing #1?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

WickedHate posted:

Everyone talks about how boring Hal is but I feel the exact same way about Barry. Replacing either of them with Kyle or Wally isn't just nostalgia, it's objectively better. Barry was mainly the Flash in an era of stilted dialogue and characterization, he was never anything special and no one's made him anything special since.

That's because the same is true for Barry. Bringing them back was just the inmates running the asylum. The guy who grew up with them as his Flash and GL decided that if he was in charge, they would have to be Flash and GL again. Barry is like Jason. They do so much more for the universe by dying. And staying that way.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Hal is one thing, but bringing Barry back to life comes off as critically missing the point. Not of Barry, not of Wally, not of The Flash, but of the entire DC Universe. It's all about legacy and you piss all over that when you bring back Barry and then kick everyone else out of the clubhouse. There's a clear line of succession and the parade doesn't move backwards. What's worse is I don't feel like we've gotten any Barry stories in the interim to justify his return. Not really. Even the CW Flash, which I love, isn't enough. Hell, that show's stab at having the Flash family is 0-2.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's gonna be MAY

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I read Rebirth and really liked what I read. It's definitely a very meta storyline, but I'm happy to have one. I'm happy to see someone point out how broken the DC Universe is. Having the flaw be that the love and legacy of the universe was literally ripped out is pretty great. At least that's how I see things. The scene with Wally and Barry actually got me good. I wasn't sure if he was going to be able to pull him out. The Watchmen...huh. I mean I saw the spoiler image, but since I'm not good at comics I just put it out of focus. This looks interesting enough to me. I'll probably buy some books from Bats and his kids. Flash and Superman as well.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm doing more reading on Rebirth since my knowledge of the DC Universe is fragmented at best. Why do we have two Teen Titans books both led by Bat Kids and why are neither of them led by Tim Drake? Which book will he be in? Is he back to being Robin while Damian is leading the Teen Titans? How is Nightwing not Secret Agent Man anymore again?That last one I may have already been told.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

None of the Flash family have shown up aside from Barry and Iris in the New 52. Very explicitly for the same reason practically none of them showed up after Flash Rebirth -- not being Barry Allen was a sin for the last 7 years.

Hell, not being Barry Allen was punishable by being written out of reality.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gaz-L posted:

They're technically not both TEEN Titans, plus it's DC, and they'll never stop trying to make you care about Silver Age books you've never read, but one guy in the editorial office really loves.
Tim is still Red Robin, in a less silly outfit, and will be in Detective Comics, as part of a team of rookie Bat-heroes led by Batman and Batwoman.
Damian is still Robin.
Nightwing, I believe, finished his secret agent double-agent job, and the evil spy group collapsed, but they used their secret spy tech to erase his identity from people's minds, so he can be Nightwing again.

Tim got put on the team of rookies and Damian gets to be on the Teen Titans? No wonder that kid has middle child syndrome so hard.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

You say that like it's better to be on the Teen Titans then working directly with Batman.

It is if Batman's training a team of novices.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

Novices that include Stephanie Brown.

e: Stephanie is really the only novice on the team, the rest of the cast is Batwoman, Clayface and Cassandra Cain, who is like the best martial artist in the DC Universe, so I think Tim's looking pretty good.

That's different. The description I got made it sound like Bats put Robin on The Outsiders. That'd be hosed up. When did Clayface do a (clay) face turn?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Die Laughing posted:

Wasn't Max fresh out of high school when he wrote that Shocker fanfic? He was still in college when he used to post his Batman videos here.

I hope so. I remember liking it when I was in high school.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's really been lame that Tim only got to half graduate from being Robin. Red Robin is stupid. Might as well start calling the kid in Bludhaven Blue Robin. Maybe by the end Bats will have a whole team of Power Ranger Robins.

Only mildly related, but it bothers me that this costume looks so great on print, but atrocious in the Arkham game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'll believe Rebirth is about restoring the DC Universe when it puts Jason and Barry back in the grave. Permanently. Again.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I have a question, but it's mildly Todd-related, so please don't hate me. Why did Arsenal and Starfire end up in his comic? I've never known those characters to have any relationship with him before. Did someone get their Robins mixed up?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Everyone posted:

Batman wasn't very good.

Sad, that's my guy. I guess I'll be looking forward to Superman then. How much of the last stuff do I need to know to get into this stuff? Is it ok to have just read Rebirth?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Just read Bats. Reading comics is tough, man. Just in terms of buying enough books to keep up. I dropped out before Robin War, so I have no idea who Duke is. I guess he was/is/pretended to be Robin at some point. I also very do not like the purple accent on Batman's cape. I thought it was fine. Nothing particularly exciting. Kind of a confusing story honestly. Like they wanted to tell a story of have some kind of point, but it got lost in the shuffle. So instead we got...Yellow Batman, Calendar Man molting, and that's about it. Like a filler episode in comic form.

Superman had a nice storyline for a #0 issue. "He honored both" was really good. I also liked the realization that he couldn't resurrect New52perman. I'm not sure that'll stick and I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, death being permanent in a comic book is hilarious. On the other hand, seems like a bit of a slap in the face to deliberately kill one world's Superman to substitute another in. Maybe I misunderstood the ending, but I got the impression that Old Clark was gonna be New Superman.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

Also Bruce said it completely offhand like he'd known about it for years and that this was a known aspect of the character. Which is part of the reason it came off so flat for me when I think it was supposed to be some kind of reveal.

Yeah, even the comic treated it like the least important thing ever. Batman took literally a couple minutes to stop him and didn't need his new Yellow Bat partner for any part of it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Lark is an awful name. He might as well just be Robin. gently caress, I would've taken another Blackbat. Batboy? Kid Bat? Whatever.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Norns posted:

Lark is fine. You can't be serious about Blackbat...

I was as serious about Blackbat as I was Bat Boy and Kid Bat. He should just be Robin. Lark is just not a cool codename at all and doesn't have 75 years of history like Robin does to make up for that. Yellow is also a bad color.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

JoshTheStampede posted:

You can. But apparently people come in and say "hey I want to write a story about batgirl being Barbara Gordon living in Brooklyn" and the default answer was "no, she's paralyzed and oracle and you cant" and DCYou changed that answer to "awesome, go for it".

I like DCYou as a concept, but I would rather DC had continuity to handicap stuff like that rather than not. Hell, I wish they did more. I kinda hate that a writer can jump on Batman, decide they like Barbara more than Cass, and just write Cass out of being Batgirl in favor of their Batgirl. Johns did it with Flash and it sucked canal water.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

No human being alive can think Jay was/is worse than Bart as The Flash.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I quite liked The Flash. It was better than Batman at least for kicking off a new and interesting storyline. Detective Comics was quite fun too. Nothing beats a story where you bring the team together. I got a smile out of Clayface not having a Bat-Grapple.

How do you guys keep up with all of these books? I have a number of characters I want to keep up with and even that is like 50 million different books.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like I definitely recall Tim having quite a bit of resent toward Damian when Dick had him move aside. He hated that little fucker the most.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Endless Mike posted:

Buy good comics.

Don't buy bad comics.

Neither DC nor Marvel has ever really been good at having more than one good book per character, if they can even manage that. Obviously there's exceptions (I like both Iron Man comics right now, for instance), but this is generally not the case.

Mr Hootington posted:

You either buy everything or make tough choices.

I was afraid this would be the answer. Don't you end up missing a bunch if you do this though? Like the story in Batman had nearly 0 to do with the story in Detective Comics. Which is probably for the better since that means they can both fly, but both are canon. Which means eventually I'm gonna read a little bubble that says "Hope you read Batman #14" and then I'm gonna feel left out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

Wowzers the New 52 Mr. Freeze is a totally garbage character. Jesus. Talk about missing the loving point of why he became a favorite villain in the first place.

They didn't miss the point. The "point" is what they were directly trying to subvert. Part of the point of a New52 is not to pull an Ultimate Marvel and say "They're the exact same except some minor thing". Or even worse, the same Freeze we've had for 20 years now. I'm not saying this Freeze is better or even good at all, but "It's different so it's bad" is a childish way to view the product of a complete reboot. Or at least partial reboot in Batman's case. I liked that story. After Arkham Origins, I can't say I need yet another DO YOU REMEMBER HEART OF ICE storyline.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

It's bad, so it's bad. Does that work? Are you going to go to bat for fuckin' One-Face next?

Say it's bad for reasons that actually matter. Not because it wasn't Heart of Ice. Don't be a baby.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
What are the great non-Heart of Ice Mr. Freeze stories? His appearance in Batman Beyond?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gaz-L posted:

Believe it or not, all of his appearances in the Arkham video games are really good. The DLC ones for Origins and Knight are especially good and the latter actually gives his and Nora's story an appropriately bittersweet end.

The only time I thought the writing around him was weak was when they wanted to justify his boss battle in City. There really is no reason he should've fought Batman at that point. Even for an irrational man with mental problems.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

Was that before or after Batman was pouring out his suit's coolant in front of him? Because that might have made a difference.

Those games are so much Goddamn fun but christ that version of Batman is a pouty dickhole

Arkham Bats is definitely a brutal rear end in a top hat, but I always try and keep in mind that he wasn't really that way in Asylum. Not as much as it would get played up in City and Knight. I think we're meant to believe it's related to him dying in City and being Joker'd in Knight.

Thing is, Bats shows up for the cure and Freeze is locking it in a safe. Then he says "Hey, gently caress off and save Nora first." Batman should have said "Okay fine, but I'll be better at that if you cure me first." Instead he got all "gently caress you" and then things got punchy. Victor started it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

Spoiler is such an atrociously bad superhero, which sucks considering how good of a character Stephanie Brown is (and how she's the only love interest of Tim Drake's I actually loving buy as a love interest).

What about Jubilee?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

The Batman/Nightwing issue of Batman and Robin was better than the entirety of Requiem and it ends up mourning the death of Damian better than Morrison ever did.

gently caress that issue is loving incredible.

The panels with Alfred. Just....drat, man I got somethin in my eye.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Man, that is a magnificent preview. I will definitely be reading the gently caress out of Superman. Titans looks fun enough to give it a shot. I really like "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive." gently caress you, Barry. Plus it has Nightwing in it, so I am physically compelled to read it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Madkal posted:

Actually

Unless I'm reading that weird, I think you just repeated what he said.

Toxxupation posted:

Damian Wayne is the best Robin and Jason Todd done right, and the best and most sympathetic parts to Red Hood are when he's paired with Red Robin, because Tim Drake has that rebellious edge that Dick and Bruce don't where he can understand and relate to Jason's methods even though he personally abhors them. The pairing of Red Robin and Red Hood makes sense, honestly, and I always bought the idea that Tim would be friendly to Jason and try to be the most altruistically nice to him out of everyone in the Bat-Family.

First, Damian is not the best Robin. He's the 2nd or 3rd. Tim is the best Robin. Second, I think it's weird that you would think Tim would be friendly to Jason. I can see that he would be nice since that's his default way of handling people, but Jason has tried to kill Tim multiple times. Tim is another reminder that Batman just continued business as usual after he died. He didn't stop the Robins, he didn't kill Joker, he didn't hang up the cowl. In Jason's mind, everything about Batman after Death in the Family is a brutal reminder that the war keeps on going. I have to imagine that until you reach like a few years of Red Hood being back, he would try to kill Tim immediately upon every encounter.

Ultimately though, you were spot on in what you said earlier. Jason Todd should be dead. So should Barry and Hal, but that's a different story. Red Hood existing beyond Under the Red Hood never has and never will work.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Drake is my favorite Robin but Damian went up from 'what is this, this is dumb, stop it DC' to 'alright I love this little shitbag' fast enough to earn him a close 2 spot.

Right there with you. I remember there being a series of panels where Bruce himself concluded that Tim was the best for the job. Dick was always meant to grow out of it, obviously Jason failed wildly, but Tim was the best. He wanted the job. He never wanted to be Nightwing II or Batman or any of that. He just wanted to be Robin.

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair I'm going off this page which is one of if not the only time I've ever seen Jason Todd come across as a human being.

(This is from the Night of the Owls tie-in for RHATO.)

Well I will say, that is a very nice page. I don't know if New 52 Jason has tried to flat out kill the poo poo out of Tim as much as before all that. Things may be different. I've kinda stayed away from both Jason and Tim in the New 52 Bat books that I own, because I've only ever been told that Teen Titans and RHATO were both terrible.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Who decided to draw Simon Baz as a POC Kick-rear end?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

The biggest problem is that Gotham has to be a shithole, and Gotham's only a shithole because Superman isn't there

What could Superman do that Batman doesn't? I know he could do a lot of it faster, but speed isn't the reason Gotham sucks. Like no amount of heat vision would stop corrupt cops. Superman would use Arkham, except it wouldn't have Wayne funding.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

I would counter that if I'm a dirty cop and I get heat visioned, any amount of heat vision, I'm going straight.

I'm not loving around with a guy who has laser eyes.

You gotta figure Bats does drat near the same thing though, right? Like you'd also quit fuckin around if you got a Batarang to the nose.

Codependent Poster posted:

It's really kind of dumb that Gotham is so much worse when Metropolis is like, right across the bay. Does Superman not go out of the city limits? It wouldn't be anything for him to take care of both cities.

Batman specifically tells him not to do that a lot. I think it's about escalation.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

On the other hand if you live south of the border you will be safely ignored by everyone :v:

Superman will show up to make a frowny face at some point, which is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah it's really weird. Like, Crisis was born out of DC being both insanely envious of Marvel's invention of the modern-day crossover event and their desire to wipe the slate clean and attempt some form of a singular, persistent universe like the 616 (despite the fact that DC's whole appeal is that they don't have one), and they've been chasing after it ever since. And it's weird that DC has waffled so heavily on whether or not to have a multiverse and whether or not to have legacy characters showing up and hanging out with modern-day Flashes and Green Lanterns and Supermen considering every event ends up using them in some way.

I mean everyone makes a big joke of that dumb as hell Multiversity map, and admittedly it is pretty goddamn loving silly but on the other hand DC would be so, so much better off creatively if they just stuck to the idea of Earth-One and Earth-Two and Earth-Three over trying to make DC into something it's not and never was, a persistent singular universe like the MU.

It's just really weird how they keep trying to fit the DCU square peg into the 616 round hole but petulantly refuse to do unequivocally good stuff like recap pages, which are a far far FAR simpler idea then loving ______Crisis where they attempt to make the canon no truly for reals one story this time, we swear.

I don't understand DC's motive. It's like they'll do a Crisis and say "This is our timeline and there's one Earth and these events happened, but these ones didn't." But like within 6 months we'll have an Earth 2. Without fail. And within 2 years we'll have 4 Robins and Impulse and 8 Green Lanterns of Earth and we end up back where we goddamn started. Why not try going the opposite way once? Why not just saying "No, gently caress it, there's a billion Earths and everyone you like is around somewhere" and let things go nuts? It's stupid, but it's comicbook stupid.