Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I can't wait to play a K***ht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Gologle posted:

Is it just me, or does Deprived actually look like the best class to start out with? They start at the lowest level out of all the starting classes, so more room to fit stats in, and their stats are all balanced. Yeah, it sucks to start out naked, but come on, fashion souls has to start somewhere, why don't you pull yourself up by your own bootstraps and make something of yourself in this new, competitive world of looking the best? Plus the club apparently kicks rear end.

If you want to be all willy-nilly with stats, it's probably fine. But if you wanted to be heavily focused in, say, End, Vig, and Str, the Warrior would be at SL 7 for what the Deprived would have to level to 12 to match it in. This is important if you like to make fixed-level characters for jolly cooperation, or similar online activities.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Watching intro cutscene. I'm hyped to spend 3 hours in the character creator.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I restarted 3 times.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Already died.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'm starting to think that Poise isn't turned on. There were some clues, but obviously we can't be sure.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

turtlecrunch posted:

Let's see...

+ Find it deep below the Nexus in water
+ It's a blob monster
+ TREE BRANCH MOTIF
+ Ate another guy who is trapped inside it
+ Wants to devour everything
+ Has periods of destructive wakefulness followed by long, sleepy digestions

Checks out! :vince:

If nothing else, King Allant was the influence for DS3's poise

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I sure hope Ocelotte shows up in the DLC and tells us how this was all a training kernel to show that given the right situation, the right story, anyone can be shaped into Lords of Cinder.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Didn't Tallgeese mention before that you could gently caress people's games up in DkS2 in a similar way if you knew how to go about it, it's just that not a lot of people know how to go about it?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
He's Batman

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Jose posted:

i think this game would be vastly improved with bloodborne's dodging and healing mechanics

It'd be vastly improved by the mechanics that are already present being improved, such as armor, miracles, sorcery, anything not a long sword, etc

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Parrying Pontiff Sulyvhan so you can dump with the Avelyn is as effective as you'd expect!

Not at all

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Malek Deneith posted:

Re: Dark Sword discussion. Again, been using Dark Sword through NG. Switched to Carthus Curved Sword for NG+. What I got has miniscule (~13 on a 40/35 build currently) amount less AR and worse weapon art but gets bleed and a better R2, and feel pretty identical in other regards. Yet Dark Sword gets all the hate and overusage, but I hardly see CCS and nobody complains about it. It's hilarious.

For the same damage the CCS weighs more, takes more stats, has worse scaling, and does slashing damage. It probably does less poise damage, too. It's definitely not a direct upgrade.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The infusion numbers seem to be hand-tuned and only loosely follow a formula. I've definitely seen weapons that had no difference in damage between sharp/heavy/quality, and others that had a significant difference.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

turtlecrunch posted:

Also wouldn't it be funny if poise is only turned off because it was in Bloodborne and they just pulled Bloodborne's framework in without checking it ever?

This seems dumb enough to be possible so it's the most believable theory I've heard so far.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

In the video you posted, a single point of poise is doing the same thing as a huge amount. So if poise does work that way, there's zero point in stacking it as one point is all you need.

That's idiotic.

Obviously Poise has diminishing returns because you only need one.

Also for all we know hyperarmor just looks at whether or not you're wearing armor since it seems to behave no differently with just 1 poise.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

SciFiDownBeat posted:

it means pontiff has his fingers in a lot of fuckin pies

Oh boy, more yaoi theories

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tallgeese posted:

Okay, enough of this poise nonsense. I'll take a look at it.

What effects are known to grant "poise" and actually work? I'll simply see what they do to the character.

Perseverance doesn't actually boost your poise but references it all the same so I'm curious what's going on there.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'm personally looking forward to Dark Souls IV: The Quest For Poise.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tallgeese posted:

Someone asked about Perseverance: the description is misleading.

It does nothing to the poise stat, DS3 or DS1 flavors. It just straight up applies a no-stagger state.

It also provides what appears to be a 35 point reduction in incoming damage.

This lines up with how its displayed on the stat screen(increased resistance, but no poise change), which is good, but also very dumb.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tallgeese posted:

Wow.

It took them... almost four years to do what I figured out how to do in a few months, and what eur0pa did with PVP Watchdog.

Can this be... progress?

I'm actually shocked.

There might come a day when we don't even need the Batman.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'm ready for a new Armored Core game filled with Souls references to accompany all the King's Field references.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Filthy Hans posted:

Farming for infusion gems is the shittiest part of this game that isn't trying to get trophy ears. The only ones that aren't too bad are raw (which you'll never need more than 1 or 2 of) and str because you have 3 goatmen right outside one of the spawns in the Farron swamp. Refined are an absolute pain in the balls - I just spent 90 minutes with 411 item find and got 1 off the guy outside the Dancer and now I'm out of gold coins. Sharps are even worse. I just want enough refined ones to do all the halberd class weapons and maybe a couple secondaries but I guess that's too much to ask for if you're not going NG++ or whatever.

Farm the four knights before twin princes for refined. I've gotten a dozen or so from them with only 260 discovery

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

The fact that they specifically mentioned fixing the collisions on the washing pole and nothing else is seriously disheartening.

They really do think straight swords are perfectly fine.

I wish everything else was brought up to the Straight Sword class' level. Less stamina cost would be a good start.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tallgeese posted:

There are two separate poise systems: DS1 and DS3.

Players use DS3's, except when using Unfaltering Prayer where you gain DS1 poise.

Enemies use DS1's.

Nobody knows what the DS3 system does.

Any questions?

Yes,

Why didn't headbutting enemies to death come back?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Guillermus posted:

Before I spend the shards and my 8th slab, how good/bad would be a chaos Lucerne+Leo Ring for a melee pyro?

My seven +10 weapons on NG are:
Reinforced Dark Sword +10
Chaos Astora Greatsword +10
Chaos Thrall Axe +10
Dark Great Scythe +10
Chaos Warden Twinblades +10
Pyromance flame +10
RAW Dragonslayer Axe +10

So I'm looking for something with trust damage that has interesting moveset or at least different to the previous stuff (and of course, at least B/B scaling on INT/FTH).

Does Counter damage even work unless you deflect an attack? Wouldn't that make Lucerne really bad for counter damage because of its speed?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Humans Among Us posted:

It's basically when you'r trading hits. You counter if you hit them during their attack.

E; There's a video on utube somewhere where a guy tested the ring with 3 weapons he considered good for it: Pickaxe, Lance? and some other thing, i forgot

Having tested it, I'd say if your timing's good enough to take advantage of counter damage, you're better off going for a parry. Getting counter damage is definitely not as generous as it was in DkS1 or 2. It's probably too far in the opposite direction instead.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Fire Barrel posted:

Using rapiers for the bulk of my NG, counter damage seemed pretty noticeable. With or without the CMW applied, I would drop some serious damage on enemies/other players with well timed pokes. Maybe, though, I was just underestimating the damage Ricard's Rapier could do naturally.

The thrusting swords can get in pokes where other weapon classes would have to settle for a trade. Counter damage is seemingly tuned moreso to that style of play, as opposed to letting slower weapons exploit a miss for more damage. In other words, Rapiers have the right balance of fast to swing, fast to recover that makes them well-suited for hitting the counter frames, while everything else isn't as good at that. IMO this make it a crappier counter system than they've had before.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Jordbo posted:

Bloodborne even has songs with lyrics - and not only that, the lyrics make sense thematically! In contrast, I still haven't figured out what "HA HE HO HU HA HA HU" is supposed to mean in in relation to Dark Souls.

edit: okay, I actually listened to the Abyss Watchers theme again - I suppose some tracks actually have some lyrics beside HU HU HA HE HA

The soundtrack is laughing at you, just like in Demon's Souls

Also Demon's Souls soundtrack is the best IMO

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Crazygamer posted:

Why does my thrust damage absorption drop by 20 when I do a backstep attack with the astora great sword? Noticed it by accident in the stats screen. The drop only lasts as long as the attack does. That's not counter damage, is it? Wouldn't it apply to all damage types?

IIRC it's -30 and it's during every attack with every weapon I actually bothered to test. I don't know why when there's already a separate counter system and it doesn't seem to apply to anything but player absorption. Could be wrong though.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Dark Souls 2 and 3 both feel like they were contracted out to two different third-party development teams that had an idea what the games were about.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
OOB was possible in more places than just those though.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Good luck giving a scroll of sorcery to a pile of ashes!

That's working as intended-- The Gods hate mages.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Toriori posted:

I'm trying to get the secret ending and just "married" Anri but he was laying on the ground and I stuck a sword in him? Did I gently caress it up?

That's true love, p much

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Overly complicating poise sure paid off, it worked so well most people couldn't even tell it was working!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The stupid irony is that it shouldn't need an onscreen meter, but without an onscreen meter no one was positive what the hell was going on with it.

Also if it did have a meter more people would be complaining because the meter takes 30 seconds to refill even in instances where it did nothing.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Solaire is just some guy that eventually goes crazy? That's such a loose end and not at all similar to almost every NPC's fate in Dark Souls 1!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

GulagDolls posted:

what are the clues that solaire is gwyn's son besides, him being a man who wears a t-shirt with the sun on it

It's because sun and son sound the same

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Digirat posted:

You forget that solaire is also a meme, which is justification enough for fans to go insane coming up with theories about him. It's also enough for dark souls 3 to believably include references to him that make no sense, since it has a precedent for doing that with anything that fans liked in dark souls 1
They should have expanded bringing back fan-favorites to include mechanics and world design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The dream of a good translation.