Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Batham posted:

Throwing a tantrum isn't going to change the reality about it.

Arguing "they are not drawn specifically Asian, and are instead broad analogue more than one person can relate to" is one thing, arguing that they they're actually white people is something else.

Animated characters are never one to one with reality anyway, in terms of intent. The Simpsons have already been mentioned, but American Dad, Family Guy and even Frozen use body and face proportions that are basically impossible, and that's fine because they're symbolic representations of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Batham posted:

Yes, but cartoons like that play into exaggerated facial features to differentiate racial groups. The average face in an animé doesn't do this.

Ah, yes. Like how in Frozen, Elsa has the racial marker of her eyes being a foot across, so we know she's Swedish.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The other thing to remember specifically about eyes is that, in both 2d and 3d animation, they can't be 1:1 analogues to real eyes. They're the one part that needs to be a lot more expressionistic. 'realistic' eyes, like those in "Polar Express" look creepy, while massive, over the top, expressive eyes, seem more real. There's other symbolism to the eye as well. In Anime, like Ruroni Kenshin, eyes change size and colour depending on the character's relationship to killing. The titular character's eyes are very large, with purple irises, most of the time, while, when he's in killing mode, they narrow, and become red. Good characters are consistently large eyed, evil ones consistently narrowed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gyges posted:

Actually, I always wondered about this. Togusa is explicitly said to have no cybernetic enhancements, being totally human. Aramaki is somewhat implied to be similar. However both of them are always jumping into cyber lobbies for meetings and having thought conversations with the rest of the team. How the hell does Togusa keep doing these things that require at least minimal cyberization?

Also his use of a revolver is a little too on the nose.

Wasn't there an episode where Togusa starts doubting if he actually has that family, that they might be a layer of manipulation?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wank posted:

a) I don't get the problem with Scarjo - Is the Major "Japanese"? She is a cyborg.

Correct. A Japanese cyborg. From Japan. Who works for the Japanese government and whose appearance is designed to allow her to fit in in Japan.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wank posted:

Did anyone complain that Akira Kurosawa didn't cast any Scottish actors in Throne of Blood?

This is a really well thought out, appropriate comparison.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

, it seems odd to single out GITS for that.

icantfindaname posted:

I'm not sure why it's any more racist to not cast Asians in this than it is to not cast Asians in any other Hollywood movie

Yeah, why is an adaptation of a seminal Japanese work that turns out to have tried to CGI in Asianness being singled out? It's so random.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Clipperton posted:

i'm not defending anything, it's just that your own concocted scenario is looneytunes. but if you have any real information on what was going on with the screentest feel free to share it, i mean you seem very sure

"They couldn't have done that because that would be a dumb move" is a foolproof counter.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Clipperton posted:

None of that is inconsistent with Comrade Fakebot's theory, in fact it fits the facts better, since if the tests were for an alternate cyborg body of the Major's, it'd be true that they were both for Johansson's face (like Screencrush says) AND for a 'background character' (like Paramount claims)...

Or alternatively, the same industry that thought Gemma Arterton was a good choice for a movie called "Prince of Persia" and a Swedish guy was a good choice for "Gods of Egypt" and honestly cannot see the problem with casting hispanics as middle easterners actually is kind of dumb when it comes to race.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Those are pretty.

What is the lesbian orgy I keep hearing about?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've generally found that any movie that puts a comparison to another movie up front, like, on the poster or DVD case or whatever, is terrible. Frequently irredeemably so.

Bugblatter posted:

Is comparing yourself to the matrix even a strong selling point these days?

I doubt it. People who really think highly of the matrix are probably aging out of the viable movie-going demographic. I was blown away by it when it first came out, and I'm just shy of thirty now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
They're also leaning a fair bit on some matrix imagery, with the slow motion glass explosion and wall running gun fighting. It had been a while since I'd seen that in a movie. It looks really cheap, which is strange, because it presumably wasn't.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Canvassing for volunteers wouldn't be a good way to keep a program secret.

Which is of course why clandestine agencies around the world exclusively recruit unwilling volunteers.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
One thing SAC does really well is the transition between the monster of the week episodes and the actual plot. That's usually clunky as hell, but SAC gets it almost organic feeling.You just sort of switch at some point, without really noticing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Midjack posted:

They tell you at the title screen of each episode if it's a "stand alone" or "complex" episode.

I watched all 50 episodes and never noticed this, which says something worrying about me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, those 'making of books' tend to give you a pretty bare bones view of how the thing got made. They'll tell you they wanted a 'natural look' but they don't exactly break down lense and lighting choices, or walk you through what size nails the carpenters use. It would make perfect sense for them to inlcude a napkin sized summary of her arc, seeing as that's pretty much the 'we wanted a natural look' of story structure.

As silly as the film will probably be, this is more a reason that making of book is stupid, not the movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cosmically_cosmic posted:

The note basically says 'insert story arc here' I really don't get how you can describe it as some sort of valuable tool crucial to creating this work of fiction. It's like someone wrote 'PLAN: Make movie with character arc'. That's what's so embarassing about it, it doesn't do anything wrong it's just so childish and dumb that it's funny. I mean that might be me just being pretentious, thinking that 'is lost, finds self beats villain' should be written down with lines connecting those points like you might accidentally start with her found and then losing herself while beating the villain in the first act.

Yeah it's an attempt to 'map out his protagonist' but that map is literally 'is lost, who am I? I am me'. I do feel bad for repeating myself over and over, but I just don't think your attempts to frame this thing as more impressive are working by saying stuff like 'MAXIMUM CONCEPTUAL LEGIBILITY' in regards to that post-it.

'Such a device' kind of missing the point that the device in question is that piece of paper. If it had a little more to it then maybe I could agree, but it's so overly simplistic it looks like something written by a 10 year old. The idea that this piece of paper was a valuable part of the collaborative process that everyone needed just makes them all look as dumb as the guy who wrote it.

I mean I'm not even slagging off the movie or saying it's gonna be garbage, I just love that plan and think it's comedic genius.

Nobody has framed it as valuable, crucial or impressive except you. You've used these lofty terms, then gotten angry when the image in a shallow making of book fails to live up to the towering heights you've set. You might as well have spent several long posts being angry about sketches of characters. "Why do they need sketches? People can just figure out how they stand. This is not a gorgeous, beautiful, transcendant image."

Young Freud posted:

It thinks it's deep and unique but in reality, it's almost generic to the point of being boilerplate.

It does not think anything because it is a piece of paper represented on another piece of paper.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 21, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Phone posted:

If you don't think it's going to be the dumbest thing you've ever seen, you're going to be in for a rude awakening.

The movie will probably be bad. However, it's not going to be bad because, at some point, the director sketched out a bare bones outline, and then someone else put that in a making of book.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

It's really the little things that set it apart. The way the animation makes the water ripples beautiful and peaceful seeming, coupled with the slow music. It's the way the attacks are sort of impressionistic. The way the completely bland big city is contrasted with the lively but dilapidated alley.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Absolutely that.

One more difference that make no sense to not have (except to save :effort:): The acting on the hacked dude. In the animation he shows relief when he thinks he's escaped, and there's a distinct pause of silence, then a grunt of surprise when her steps break it. In the live action version the dude never shows any change of emotion.

It's not a bad scene, just a thoroughly mediocre one that could be improved leaps and bounds with no more effort than cribbing more closely from the original.

There's also the disconnect between his face/voice being that of a garbage truck driver and his moves being that of a trained assassin, which ties in nicely to the film's themes of the increasingly fluid nature of identity.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

Liberia has one of the lowest populations of white people in Western Africa and the fact that he was born in the jungle and fought in Charles Taylor's civil war in the 90s along with him getting heavily shat upon for his skin tone hints at him possibly being an albino. It's honestly one of those "huh, okay, weird" things in Metal Gear that was never explained. I doubt Kojima will ever outright say if he's supposed to be strictly white, mixed race or suffering from albinism either. Raiden black, so what.

One of the things I honestly love about the Metal Gear Solid series is how it transitions between everything being immaculately researched and lovingly recreated, and just being like 'yeah, there's an albino child soldier from Liberia, what of it?'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Thisis one of those perfect, bullshit, self justifying catch 22s. Non-white leads aren't pushed, so they don't exist, so they can't be given the big roles because that's a risk, so can't prove themselves, so they aren't pushed, and so on.

Meanwhile, we have to keep pretending that every Jai Courteny, Chris Pratt, Sam Worthington or Joel Kinnaman is going to be the next thing unless it's exhaustively demonstrated that they're not. Studios have no goddamn problem taking a risk on guys like that, even as it keeps failing to pay off. poo poo, I am a tall white guy and I'm sick of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
/\ /\ /\ /\ Or a guy from neighbours to play Thor, or a guy from alcoholism to become Marvel's biggest star.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

For a movie like this they don't want "the next big star", they want an already big star who can sell a niche property to a wider audience.

It's a mostly naked cyborg woman doing gun karate in the future to other robots. That's not niche, that's a blockbuster unless you gently caress it up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

And it was a far cheaper film.
I don't know what you're basing this on, as a quick google show' no budget information for Ghost in the Shell, but Thor cost 150 million, which is not a cheap film.

Bugblatter posted:

And yes it had to be $100m+. Your example of Thor was 150m and they set it mostly on location in a small town to save money. What do you think a big cyberpunk action film costs? They couldn't do Dredd in SA on a single soundstage for under $100m.
Actually, it was set equal parts in a small town and a fantastical magic kingdom. The climax of the film involved blowing up that small town, which seems like a strange way to save money. Thor was, in no way, a small cheap film trying to save money.

Also, they actually did Dredd not just on a soundstage for a lot less than 100 million. In fact, literally less than half that. You probably could have picked a better example.

EDIT: I had a look at a few other cyberpunk movies and their budgets: The Matrix was 63 million, Johnny Mnemonic was done for 26, and the Terminator was done for the spare change in Gale Ann Hurd's couch.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 27, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I will temper that it was the '90s ('80s for The Terminator), but even if you adjusted those figures for inflation, they'd still be less than $100 million in 2017 USD.

I found an inflation calculator, The Terminator would have cost just over 15 million, The Matrix would have cost 92 million, and Johnny Mnemonic would have cost either 41 million or 63 (there are two numbers for its budget)

poo poo, even Judge Dredd, Stallone's one, would have cost 143 million.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

None of those have the production values that this film is showing off. I mean I love them and their style of imagery could absolutely have fit GitS, but the film shown in the trailers could not have been done cheap. You're comparing South African and Vancouver location shoots and a small soundstage film to a Hong Kong location shoot with large scale soundstage sets and extensive props and costuming.

You think it's more expensive to shoot in Hong Kong than Vancouver?

Also, everything we've seen has been in a mid-sized room. If they've got massive soundstages, they're hiding it well.

Not to mention that it looks cheap as poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

I know Vancouver is cheaper. They have significant cost saving incentives for film production, which is why a large volume of mid-budget television and film shoots go there (though Atlanta is overtaking them these days). Shooting on HK's island, by contrast, is extremely expensive.
That actually really surprises me, given Hong Kong's long history of having really good movies made on budgets that wouldn't even cover a Hollywood production's catering. I believe you, it's just surprising. What advantage do you think shooting in HK gave the film, which parts of it look better as a result?

Mithaldu posted:

Do you mean "achievable with little money" or "lacking taste"?

A blend of the two. For 200 million dollars, every shot should be 'holy poo poo' yet not a single shot in the trailer had that effect on me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Nothing in the world looks like Hong Kong. Chongqing has the verticality and density from a distance, but not the texture and the mix of cluttered but clean when in close (and Chongqing wouldn't be a realistic filming location). I don't know where else you would get those street shots or cityscape plates. It just is a cyberpunk city, but in reality.
Considering they covered every inch we've seen in CGI or shot it on a soundstage, it's still hard to guess what benefit this rendered. It feels more like the 'We grew an entire field of corn' type of movie making. Kind of impressive, but it's not going to actually make a difference.

Bugblatter posted:

I'd argue every shot is gorgeous and I thought that was the standard consensus (Pretty much every article states something along the lines of "it looks dumb but man is it pretty")

Pick one in particular.

quote:

At any rate, those sets do not look like cheap constructions.

They also don't look like 200 million dollars worth of sets.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

If you've been to HK you'll recognize Soho, Causeway Bay, and the Montane Mansion at least. And they aren't super touched up, aside from the holograms?
I haven't been.

quote:

Jesus, that's asinine.
In what sense is that asinine? I'd rather discuss a specific shot than a vague 'the conensus is that every shot is gorgeous' because I distinctly remember laughing very hard at the first version of her uncloaking. The current version isn't a lot better, but it is better.
Perhaps you could pick a non touched up shot of Hong Kong? I haven't been, so I can't pick them out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I had money on 'forgettable'

Does that count?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Well, no it couldn't, it's not that far removed. You can't recreate the iconic sequences in this detail and not have a lawsuit.

So, they could have made their own movie, but they would have had to come up with their own action set pieces rather than recreating them, but somehow doing them worse. You're not making a very good case for the idea that this needed to be GITS movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I guess I could take one for the team and attend a screening at a small art cinema theater tonight.

Please get a picture of the art cinema's ticket seller when you ask for the ticket.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Battleship was dumb as hell and pretty as hell, kinda like a kojima movie where all the writing went into nice art.

Kojima's writing doesn't go into the nice art, it goes into 72 hours of exposition.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

frank.club posted:

This movie is sub-Daredevil

Woah, let's not say things we can't take back.

frank.club posted:

I'd like to know the perspective on people who liked the action in this film, im not saying you're wrong for enjoying it. I personally found action scenes to be really unfulfilling. But did I miss something? I kinda figured going in that this movie would just go for cyberpunk John Wick but-

It was weird to see the trailers with all the hyper-stylised action. The moment for that seemed to have passed in about 2003 or 4.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

General Dog posted:

I enjoyed the guys who played Batou and the Section 9 chief whoever he was.

That's Takeshi Kitano, who's a freakishly multi-talented dude. Has directed a whole bunch of really enjoyable and weird movies. Look into him. His remake of Zatoichi was excellent.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Junior Jr. posted:

Wow, I didn't expect it would make a poor opening weekend, that's really got to hurt sales if it can't even make it past the $20M mark.

20 million is about what the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy movie did 12 years ago. If you don't remember that movie, that's currently the most notable thing about it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Junior Jr. posted:

Whereas Batman Begins made over $48M on its weekend, the first Chronicles of Narnia film made $65M, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and even the first Fantastic Four film both made $56M on their opening weekends respectively in the same year. Those numbers seem solid for those adaptations.

I'm not sure where you're getting at with this one.

That its numbers are really not good, seeing as I brought up a completely forgotten film that cost a lot less to make. I'm surprised that I'm having to explain that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

To draw comparisons, this feels like the Godzilla 2000 of the Ghost in the Shell franchise. Collectively, the production makes clear that it understands that people like Ghost in the Shell, but can't demonstrate that it knows why. We get simple answers to complex questions and a stupid ending wrapped in a bow. “We cling to our memories as if they define us, but what we do defines us," says a person whose every waking moment is haunted and driven by memory, speaking as if this is high-concept, daring stuff. Every iconic Ghost in the Shell™ Thing is rammed sideways into the script. The only time this movie goes its own way to say its own thing is to reduce the concept to easily digestible pablum.

This level of comprehension also follows on the film-making. Sloppy editing and choreography are the most obvious problems. Particularly, the use of slow-mo is downright strange--I can only guess that someone thought I would like slow-mo for its own sake, rather than to see it serve a purpose in creating lasting imagery or to dwell on something interesting going on. Here it served to exacerbate the feeling that no one knew what they were doing, amid generally uninformative shot composition.

There are also several aborted story ideas that perhaps got chopped up to keep the runtime down, or forgotten about during rewrites. For example, the black hat gradually loses track of his motivation and, like the concept of the source material, transforms from a series of existential questions to a doodle.

Bottom line, if you're dying to see this movie I would recommend you just watch Blade Runner.

The funniest action bit was her wall running around a man with a gun, while the overhead shot reveals that the man had tracked her pefectly as she did so, and had not fired purely out of politeness.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm not white. And I'm real.

Hollywood shoves boring actors, who happen to white, down everyone's throats all the time. It's called grooming stars. Occasionally, they win people over.

I am a tall, straight, white man, and even I'm loving sick of pretending that Sam Worthington/Joel Kinnamon/Jai Courteny/Any of the Chris' and or Hemsworths are going to matter in two years, or are anything other than completely interchangeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, I don't think marketing this thing has been cheap. It may have been a pretty incoherent campaign, but it was also a pretty extensive one.

• Locked thread