Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Extreme0 posted:

Oh god David Coburn being a part of the no campaign :stare: I'm not sure I'm ready for such comedy.

That'd be a thing :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Extreme0 posted:

http://tvthek.orf.at/program/ZIB-2/1211/ZIB-2/13117502/Gespraech-mit-dem-schottischen-Politiker-Robertson/13117577

Apparently Germans are actually surprised in how Angus sounds more german then the presenter :lol:

Wtf, Did he live in Germany ? He's remarkably fluent

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jedit posted:

You've not been down the beach, then, where "POLES OUT" is scrawled on the walls faster than it can be scrubbed off.

Yeah , I did :stare: in real life first time I went for a walk on the beach and saw all that poo poo

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

TomViolence posted:

I'm looking forward to a referendum 2.0 where Scotland bottles it yet again

I'm looking forward to idiots growing up and not describing people voting a different way as "bottling it"

PiCroft posted:

The prospect of indyref2 worries me. None of the economic arguments from the first round have been answered. In fact, the collapse in oil prices if anything makes it harder to justify. Lots of previous No voters I know have turned Yes or at least undecided since the EU ref result, but all of them have cited the EU ref specifically, not a change in economics. I'm worried people are letting an emotive result cloud their judgement.

I get that what we signed up to in the last ref has kinda fallen apart, but in my mind this hasn't answered the unanswered questions of the previous referendum.

Economic arguments against yes from last time

- uncertainly would tank the economy
- not being in Europe was cause problems as finance and multi nationals move to other European countries

given we now already have these two the uncertainty is around the currency now, and the pound is looking a bit hosed so .....

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

TomViolence posted:

Do you feel as charitable about the Brexit result I wonder? It's entirely fine and grown up to think the people who made a bad decision made the wrong decision. Though really I was more talking about the giving in to fear and negativity that characterised those in the no camp and, oddly enough, seems to have clinched the Leave vote in the EU referendum too -- not that there was a side offering any hope in that one.

Again, you could grow up a bit and realise that people voted no in the indy ref not out of " fear and negativity" but because the case for independence put forward by the SNP was awful. People voted no because they believed it was the best thing for the country , not because they were afraid or bottled it.

Also "project fear" was how the remain camp was characterised, indeed I recall Boris Johnstone giving it "hope over fear" at one stage so your second point doesn't make any sense at all.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Kin posted:

People didn't vote out of fear because the SNP weren't able to put together a sound enough case to overcome uncertainty/fear that came from being a separate entity to the UK?

They didn't make a sound case that it would make things better for the people of Scotland. "fear" is implying that independence is the only right choice but people "bottled" making that decision. People voted no for rational reasons, hard core nationalists who based their decision on emotion and patriotic sentiment just don't seem to be able to get this because that's not how they made their decision.

Both leave campaigns used national exceptionalism and emotive rhetoric to hand wave away any kind of serious question about how would things be better.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Angepain posted:

Fans of the Sunday Herald will enjoy this heartwarming display of European solidarity on the front page:

Fans of hating the Sunday Herald will enjoy that apparently most of the translations are incorrect.

Something for everyone :allears:

TomViolence posted:

The thing is the No camp didn't exactly make a strong case for how things would be more stable either. Certainly in retrospect it seems either choice was a massive leap in the dark and any hope that maintaining the untenable status quo was somehow more stable was naive and largely unfounded.

It became amazingly obvious during the independence campaign that Salmond had not a loving clue how the Scottish economy would look after independence, not even what currency the country would use. The only clear policy he had was lets have a race to the bottom in corp tax. Guess who else thinks that's a great idea

quote:

The quite reasonable belief that tory England would drag us kicking and screaming from Europe and otherwise punt our hopes and dreams into the loving sea is not so much an emotional argument as an astute observation of the way the wind was and is blowing. That the Scottish electorate only a year later mobilised en masse to vote overwhelmingly for one party without having any kind of decisive effect on the election result (thanks FPTP) illustrates perfectly how misserved they are by Britain's democratic deficit and begs the question, "How can things meaningfully improve for us without independence?"
Are elections only democratic if the voting intent of a percentage of 5 million people overrides the other 60 million in the country ? I'd like to propose in fact, that if the party I vote for doesn't immediately get every seat in every parliament it's undemocratic.

quote:

But I suppose anybody that disagrees with the idea that a No vote was the sensible, adult, non-idiotic choice should just shut up and eat their cereal.

How about instead of eating their cereal they try understand the other point of view instead of calling them idiots, or afraid like petulant children ?

tithin posted:

Was Sunday Herald anti-independence the first time around?

They were pro independence

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Lady Galaga posted:

It was untenable enough for 45% of the voting population to decide that a leap in the dark was worth it.
[quote]
30 odd percent of the voting population

[quote]
Yes and who exactly decides on these constituencies?

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Scotland has 8.2% of the country's voters and 9.1% of the seats in the UK parliament. It also has 100% of the seats in it's own parliament, which has more powers than the Welsh or Northern Irish.

Scottish voters are the most empowered in the country - per capita. If you want more influence, breed more.

Extreme0 posted:

Speaking of, does right now count as the status quo anymore? From my view the status quo has been rocked and smashed by the EU referendum so we are preety much in the dark for both sides at this current moment.
Doesn't count any more.

It's interesting times now, many of the bad things experts predicted if independence happened such as the stock marking tanking, Scottish finance sector taking a hammering , falling into recession are coming to pass anyway. Also the total political carnage down south makes it very hard to predict what things will look like in 5 or ten years.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Extreme0 posted:

The problem I'm experincing is the UKIP vote gaining a lot more in constituencies that voted leave a lot. If they get the SNP effect then we are all hosed.

:ohdear:

In happier news
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36686461

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Angepain posted:

I don't know much about usual asking rates for football mascots, but none of these seem to involve actually being paid money, which seems a bit disappointing.

Season ticket is worth at least £300

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Hoops posted:

Lol

I didn't know this thread was here, can someone catch me up on how terrible it is?

I do *not* live in Scotland currently.

It's unreadable now because someone posts a 100 front page images and a single comment, then someone quotes them with "I agree"

Which makes a change from it being unreadable due to my posting so ......

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jedit posted:

Yeah, let's look at an example of a really nice house in Band E:

There are four flats in that block. The first floor corner flat above the office is Band E.

What's the rent / valuation of the flat ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jedit posted:

I don't know, I did a street name search on the City Council website. The point is that Aberdeen will be disproportionately hit by a council tax rise because the oil economy drove up our rents and valuations before the freeze. What would be a band D or even C in Glasgow or Edinburgh is a band E here.

Is it not reasonable for people who can afford to pay £700-800 a month in a rent for a city center flat to contribute to the most deprived areas of Scotland ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jedit posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha, look at this person who thinks rents are affordable.

That's not an answer, is it wrong to ask people earning considerably above the national average to pay more to help people in a deprived area ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coohoolin posted:

It is if the SNP do it, since as we know, everything they do is a secret plot to gain power.

By claiming they are going to abolish council tax for the best part of decade , but actually only freezing it leading to the near collapse of many councils

Fixed the second bit

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jedit posted:

Why do you assume they're earning considerably above the national average wage? Aberdeen rents are high for everyone, not just the oil people. Landlords can't charge less without bankrupting themselves and they can't sell up now without taking a big loss, but they can sure as poo poo keep charging high rents to the people who have to rent from them.

So far as raising the money for deprived areas goes, I'd rather it were done by increasing income tax or better yet, corporation tax.

Because they are paying 700-800 pounds a month for a one bedroom. People who aren't earning well above the national average just can't pay that. Most folk I know in Aberdeen who aren't on good money live on the outskirts of the city or in Stonehaven.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37438056

quote:

Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale has failed to register a vote at Holyrood - allowing the Scottish government to avoid a defeat.
A majority of MSPs backed a Conservative amendment which said the government's council tax proposals undermined local accountability.
But when it came to the final decision, the vote was tied at 63 all - with Ms Dugdale apparently not voting.
The presiding officer then used his casting vote to back the government.

lmao

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not sure what 'cronies' is in English so I can't answer that.

That word is actually not written in :airquote: scots :airquote:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/crony?s=t

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coohoolin posted:

Because it is? And maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing this unbelievable downturn of vitality in Aberdeen the oil crisis is supposed to be causing.

That's because you're insulated from reality in your student bubble. It's been a horrible time for people in Aberdeen as most folk have a partner or sibling who works in an oil related job. I know multiple people who've been made redundant and had to leave Aberdeen to find another job.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Leggsy posted:

Which "cheaper drinks" would one switch to under a 50p Minimum Unit Price?

Coohoolin posted:

If you were a beer drinker maybe you'll start chugging 50cl bottles of glens or something. All I know is that when prices went up, I'd adapt my drinking habits or find cheaper bars.

Or are you imagining a world where all shops charge all alcohol types at the exact same price given minimum cost per unit?

Coohoolin posted:

You don't really know how drinking works, do you.

You don't get how minimum pricing works do you ? If your normal drink of choice has risen in price then there won't be a cheaper alternative, that's the entire point of the policy.
Also talking about "meths" misses the point that this policy is not targeted as sleeping rough alcoholics, it's targeted at the depressingly large proportion of the population who drink an unhealthy amount every week. I find discussing minimum pricing interesting because people with an unhealthy relationship with alcohol always out themselves with rants about how it won't work despite all the evidence.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jedit posted:

Thank you. Now, what are your thoughts on the study in that list which openly stated minimum unit pricing is a tax on the poor?

It's not a tax it's a price floor. And even if it were a tax it would be a consumption tax on a luxury item.
Do people who oppose minimum alcohol pricing support cutting the tax on cigarettes ? Is that a tax on the poor as well ?

duckmaster posted:

As cigarette and tobacco prices have risen, in combination with cheaper air travel across europe, the market for black market and grey market tobacco (where the duty has been paid somewhere in the EU but the tobacco is then resold illegally) has increased. If alcohol prices rise I see little reason why a corresponding market for alcohol won't take shape, although Brexit may well put the brakes on it a bit.

In other words if a bottle of vodka now costs £15 in the shops but wee Jimmy can drop one off for a tenner then actually there is a cheaper alternative.

Is wee Jimmy going to drop off a bottle for every person who likes a drink, every weekend ? Smuggling will increase, but won't stop the policy being effective. Good public health policies are improving the health of populations as a whole, not dealing with individual edge case straw men. I've not seen any alternative proposals to reduce alcohol consumption, what should we instead of this evidence backed policy ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

OwlFancier posted:

doing whatever you need to do to reduce consumption-based health complaints without banning or restricting access to any of the causes.

Coohoolin posted:

I like how we're considering "making thing less available" as the only or best way of reducing these types of ills. Maybe it's possible to have a pouch of tobacco cost less than 11 loving quid AND focus on creating a society where people have no actual reason to indulge in substances, hm?

So we shouldn't do something that been proven to work and would have a major impact in a short time period, but instead wish for some mystical never before seen improvement in living standards that will magically make people not prone to substance abuse ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

OwlFancier posted:

You can do it if you want to, but you should acknowledge that by doing it you're supporting classist laws and promoting the idea that poor people are too stupid to be trusted with responsibility.

This is a stupid argument because most negative behaviours are associated with poverty.
So you could argue that the funding the police is classist because offending is associated with poverty.
Same for anything which targets obesity

If you actually gave a poo poo about people living in poverty you'd support legislation which will improve their health, rather than maintaining ideologic purity.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

OwlFancier posted:

I would accept "the law is bad and will perpetuate classism and will be used as justification not to pursue a better solution, but it might help a few people" but I absolutely will not sit and watch people hail the loving gin act as some shining beacon of progress.

What's the better solution that's within the powers of the Scottish parliament ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Leggsy posted:

Except that it has been proven to work! I don't usually get frustrated but I think people are being wilfully dense at this point.

Minimum Pricing will not stop people drinking altogether! It will only reduce overall consumption in a way that will significantly increase the general health. People are not going to become celibate monks who eschew all earthly pleasures because the price of a bottle of voddy has gone up by less than a fiver. People are not going to be priced out of drinking unless they are drinking at amounts that are damaging to their own health. I prefer to be on the side that argues against people drinking themselves to death and if that makes me a bad person or not a ~true leftie~ then I don't particularly care.

Class traitor !

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

IceAgeComing posted:

There are a fair few reasons why not allowing one would be an incredibly dumb thing for her to do.

What are those ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sion posted:

URL is also the word 'tableau'

That's the name of the software they are using, still ironic

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

This was super interesting, thanks for posting it.

Venomous posted:

Just to check, is anyone going into Glasgow today for the Trump protest?

Is that where the "build bridges not walls banner" on the pedestrian suspension bridge over the Clyde came from ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

TomViolence posted:

gently caress y'all, Burns is cool and good. Whatever that Trump poem was was pish though.

Is your Wallace & Gromit slash fiction written in Scots ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38786119

quote:

'Upset and afraid' Glasgow vet caught in US flight ban

A vet from Glasgow says she is "upset" and "afraid" after being prevented from flying to the US under President Donald Trump's executive order barring people from several Muslim countries.
Hamaseh Tayari, who holds an Iranian passport, had been due to fly home from a holiday in Costa Rica via New York.
But she has been told she cannot fly to the USA because of the order.

Dr Tayari grew up and studied in Italy, qualifying as a vet in 2012.
She was awarded a PhD by the University of Pisa after a short period of extra training in Switzerland and moved to Glasgow to continue her studies in November 2015.
She said: "I still have Iranian nationality, because I've never thought about changing it.
"I've never had any problems until now, maybe I've had to wait a bit longer for visas, but nothing like this has happened to me.
"In my passport I have a regular transit visa for the USA, but they told me the visa is not any more valid."
She was left trying to find alternative routes home but, as there are no direct flights from Costa Rica to the UK, needed to transit.

brave new world :stonklol:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Angepain posted:

what exactly distinguishes a "back room" deal from the regular minority government deals

"People I don't like did it "

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Niric posted:

A couple of things from today that don't tell us anything new, but which go in tandem rather well.

First, and to be fair to 'Flaps this is a point he often makes,
John Curtice says the recent BBC analysis of EU voting data suggests economic argument crucial to indyref 2
. The article mostly just provides a brief summary of some parts of the BBC's analysis, but here's Curtice's comments:

The other thing was this exchange on Twitter. For context, Mark McDonald is in the cabinet, as minister for children and early years, replying to someone who said "@markmcdsnp and because he didn't see the detail he voted no. He needed to see how it could all be afforded"

https://twitter.com/markmcdsnp/status/829240291530010626

(For anyone on the app, McDonald said "we put plenty of [economic] detail out there as part of the white paper, what detail beyond that did he want?")

It's a relatively small thing in the grand scheme, but it suggests to me at best a naïveté, at worse a downright arrogance and stupidity, to honestly believe that the white paper comprehensively and conclusively answered all - or even most! - of the economic concerns, questions and challenges potentially posed by independence. I don't expect an SNP minister to give any ground on whether independence is a good thing or not, but to be unable to do more than (rather smugly!) point to the white and imply it answers all economic questions is just willfully stupid - and poor politics

The white paper's economic section was hilarious vague wishful thinking. I can't believe he's referring people to a document which has "Using a conservative price of over $100 a barrel" in it as a measure of their economic competence.

shite-paper posted:

How valuable are the expected tax revenues from our oil and gas production?
The latest Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland report estimates that oil and gas production in the Scottish portion of the UK continental shelf generated £10.6 billion in tax revenues during 2011/12. This is equal to 94 per cent of the UK’s total tax revenues from oil and gas production. Production in Scottish waters could generate approximately £48 billion in tax revenue between 2012/13 and 2017/18 based on industry estimates of production and an average cash price of approximately 113 dollars per barrel.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Leggsy posted:

EDIT: And isn't going on about "fake news" more of a Corbyn twitter supporter thing? Wouldn't surprise me if some of the denser cybernats in the swarm went for it as well though.
Fake news is 100% a looney wings reader thing. The endless poo poo about how "biased" the bbc are because they don't fawn over the SNP and dared to ask Salmond impertinent questions like "What the gently caress will we use as a currency?"

https://informscotland.com/fake-news-from-a-fake-national-broadcaster/

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coohoolin posted:

The BBC bias was real. Just compare the number of interruptions and the fawning over BT figures, and the complete lack of critical appraisal to unionist claims in the news.

Thank you for proving my point.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I see a reasonable amount of yes2 signs/ graffiti about. Which is bizarre because there wasn't a yes1.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Leggsy posted:

I don't see May quibbling over the timing of the referendum too much. As for the wording, that'll be up to the Electoral Commission and they found no problem with the revised wording used for the 2014 referendum. IIRC, the wording used was actually their suggestion.

Honestly, if the SNP can't win a referendum after the most destructive decision in the nation's recent history and an almost guaranteed 8 years of Tory rule then it simply isn't meant to be.

I don't see her quibbling because I don't think she would agree to another one so soon

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Does anyone think May will agree to another referendum ? I don't

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

jBrereton posted:

I think she probably will, because we don't want a minor land war

what

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

jBrereton posted:

Not like nationalism/unionism couldn't turn very nasty very quickly in Scotland if the SNP was just told directly to gently caress off by the UK government.
gently caress all would happen other than I'd have another two years of reading whining posts from people with 45 in their profile picture on Facebook.

quote:

Tensions are high!
Yes, as we've clearly seen from all the post referendum result violence . idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Niric posted:

Did anyone see this yesterday at Central Station? Couple getting hitched after Glasgow train station proposal.

Not to my tastes, but fair play. The main thing though, who goes on a first date to a station?

It's common for people to meet under the clock in the middle of the station.