Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article23165235.ab

Due to shortages of police, Swedish police recruitment will now start to accept aspirants that are below normal talent in general problem solving.
One would think that maybe, they could instead increase the amount of trained police officers on the street by not spending years upon years shuffling them into administrative duties formerly done by non police officers, but apparently that is out of the question and tasks like passport renewal can not be done by ordinary workers.

:sweden::respek::911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wild Horses posted:

Inbördeskrig norr mot syd när?

80% of the population live in the southern part of Sweden, though I'm sure the northerners would be better fighters due to prevalence of hunting licences, us southerners probably have more guns if we include all illegal arms in the suburbs, and thus we could probably win via volksturm.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Haha vad är det här för stadsfolk fördomar, södra landsbygden har minst lika mycket vapen som norra.

Jo men mina fördomar säger att ration jaktlicens vs total population fortfarande ger en kvalitativ fördel för norra faktionen, vi cityslickers kommer ju gå vilse i skogen och dö så fort mobiltäckningen blir skakig. Vårt enda hopp är volksturm.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's because the thread is dominated by citizens of Sweden, a country which has a fault line built into its very foundation. They might not be consciously aware of the fact, but the ancestral feud between Swedes and Geats simmers just beneath the surface.

Gaetish blood is very much like herpes simplex, when under stress it can surface abruptly and somewhat predictably, but instead of cold sores popping up at nerve endings you end up with a thirst for regional separatism and unbridled Stockholm hate.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Speaking as someone actually from that side of Sweden, Göteborg has had troubles with crime and begging since way, and I mean waaaaay, before the current Romani situation. I'd be careful about conflating the two.

Reallly?
Because then the scale must have been way different. I literally nerver encountered beggars in the city center, except a few "regulars", until that EU expansion happened. We have had lots of homeless people, but they were not begging actively on the street for some reson.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Did you literally never travel from the train station? I'm not sure how one could miss it. :psyduck:

But yes, the scale was different. It was a few hotspot instead of the current literally everywhere.

Cant remember that they were constantly there begging during late 90s early 2000s. There were definately numerous homeless people and Faktum sellers in the city center though.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think the Norwegian committee ever got that the peace price is not supposed to be ironic.

The best way to understand peace prize nominations is to realize that the prize is not for people/organizations who work for peace, but for highlighting conflicts that are calming down and incentivize people in power to not gently caress it up.

Edit: ZZZZzzzzzzzz

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 14, 2016

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Just tells me that living in the urban part of Sweden and having a journalist degree skews towards certain conclusions about society. Just like I'd expect someone with an engineering degree to skew towards policies based on rationalism and cultural students to skew towards those based on structuralism. I'm more concerned about outcome in this regard and SR is way better than anyone else (including SVT) due to their decentralized structure and at sometimes absurdly high regard for the un-partisan work-ethic. DN, SVD and Dagens Samhäll do okay in this regard as well (disregarding opinion pieces of course) but not as well.

You could use the same reasoning to explain high SD percentage in the police force, but it is still the same problematic as vital democratic functions are highly skewed in one policy direction and thus risk disenfranchising a significant part of the voter base that do not share those political leanings.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

eightpole posted:

Snacka inte skit om Grums mf

Svårt att inte snacka skit när det luktar som det gör.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Since young people don't really vote (see Brexit) but old ones do, I guess we should blame the schools in the 60-80s then?

What we first need to do is making voting mandatory with fines handed out to people who neglect their civic duty, because people not voting due to laziness just puts democracy in the bin.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Finns en pizzeria i Göteborg som serverar calzone fylld med pommes frites och en hamburgare. :sweden:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Though Copenhagen gives you very easy access to Sweden with Malmö and Lund.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was mostly getting at weather in Bergen, i.e. "who wants to live there". Real estate is going to be insanely expensive anywhere in the Nordics, I think, unless you are buying a chunk of swamp beyond the polar circle.

You can get good places to live dirt cheap (sub 20 000€) in Sweden if you are willing to live in small cities, the big question is naturally if you will be able to make a living there.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'd be totally down for a good 200k SEK place, provided that it has high speed Internet connection (I'm sorry :v: after living in Latvia where villages can have 400/400 fiber, I can't go back to 30 Mbps joke I had in Tobo), and is within a 30 minute drive to a parking lot near Stockholm subway entrance, or Malmo bus parking lot. Or just has some 30-40 minute bus/train connection to downtown areas of thereof, that goes twice per hour any day, at most of the reasonable hours.

Yeah sorry then you are easily up in the +1000k SEK area, 1h commute is pretty normal. I was more thinking Tidaholm, Grums, Skövde and those sort of places.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

Actually, no. Especially if you come from a country where you have a different perspective on distance.

For example, Stockholm inner city is hosed. Oh, oh so hosed. But if you look at distances that would be a normal commute in other places the picture changes, as Swedes value commutes differently.

Take Malmö for example. If you want a detached house with three rooms and a kitchen, you're looking at a minimum of 3-4 million SEK for anything that a Swede would consider "central". However, we don't have nearly the same kind of urban sprawl as US cities. As soon as you look at something 15-20 minutes away by car, you'll find houses for half the price. If you are prepared to drive 30 minutes to Malmö instead of living smack dab in the middle of the city, you can find a house that is twice the size but still half the price. And we're not talking junk houses, but nice countryside houses with big properties within 30 minutes by car from the third biggest city in Sweden.

So you should take the Swede's bitching about housing with a grain of salt, since some of it is coming from wanting to live in the perfect apartment in the middle of a city, while still being in a quiet area with no crime, pollution, traffic, with great public schools and parks but low taxes. As soon as you are just a tiny bit more flexible than that, you have a great advantage on the Swedish property market.

1h commute by car gives you lots of cheaper options yes, if you can suffer through 1h drive each way you are usually down to sub million prices again, and if you are OK with 1-1.5h commutes by public transport you can usually find the same price range. But it will still be +500k SEK or so and not the 100k SEK in Tidaholm.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 1, 2016

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Well, I guess it's still beats Gothenburg that will someday literally slide into the sea.

What? Most of Gothenburg is placed on rocks and hills, only parts around the very city center is placed on recent riverbed or river associated swamp land. That is almost like saying Stockholm is sliding into the sea.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

You don't think the city centre constitutes the city? :raise:

Area wise no, because it is just a tiny bit, like 95% is located on hills or on non river associated flatland that have no risk of going into the sea. Really, the terrain in Gothenburg is not a marshy delta consisting of sand banks and reed beds like Bangladesh, it is a lower fjord inlet with a rocky as hell archipelago. The marsh lands of the olden days were studded in between lots of rocks and hills and the modern city was founded upon one of these rocky outcropping and the canals of that city went between the rocky outcroppings.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Svartvit posted:

The name Uppsala was moved from old Uppsala to a newer town called Eastern Aros. The old one is really old and apparently used to be a King's seat. There's a museum there now.

IIRC there's also an old Gothenburg in what is now called Lödöse. There's a museum there too.

No, Lödöse was a separate town to Gothenburg, it was the most western town of Sweden and was quite old. However, it was deemed too far upstream of the river to be safe from Danish control of the river inlet which was the only way to avoid Danish taxes, on top of this it was badly placed for defense and was burned down by the Danes a few times, so the king forcefully evacuated most people and moved them downstream to what is now known as "Gamlestan" which is significantly to the east and further upstream of the current city center. This was also deemed to be a lovely location, most likely because it was torched by the Danes several times. Thus it was yet again moved further downstream to some steep rocks in the swamp overlooking the river inlet, this is where the current city center is located. Finally they had found a more defensible position! That did little to discourage the Danes though, as they kept on burning all that poo poo down for centuries to come!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

All the best Finnish Christmas songs are sad.

How very Finnish that the feeling of sadness is preferred to happiness.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

God jul på er.

Fråga: hur skulle ni översätta "goon" till svenska?

Nätsvullo, alternativt flashbackare beroende på kontext.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Link, please.

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/val2014/var-tredje-ny-sd-valjare-kommer-fran-m

The survey was done by Svt themselves at the polling stations by asking voters which party they voted for 2014 and 2010.

Edit: More details are in the various links on the site where you can see polling procedure, coverage and biases present in the data.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 25, 2017

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Quote=/edit...

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 25, 2017

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well you could make the argument that S lost their voters to M/alliansen because of the rebranding of M and the general drift to the center of all sides. These voters could then have gone to SD. But there is no data that supports this at the moment, even though it is a perfectly valid theory.

Edit:
The self reported biases for those that does not want to find it themselves.

quote:

Vilka som väljer att vara med och svara på blanketten påverkas av sociala bakgrundsförhållanden. Det har visat sig att det finns en systematisk underrepresentation av äldre väljare och arbetare, och en systematisk överrepresentation av yngre väljare och tjänstemän.

Historiskt sett har detta betytt att MP, FP, V och FI tenderat att vara överrepresenterade och SD, C och S underrepresenterade i de oviktade Valu-siffrorna jämfört med det slutgiltiga valresultatet.

I årets val är det särskilt tydligt när det gäller en underrepresentation för SD med 4,9 procent och en överrepresentation för FI med 2,7 procent.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 25, 2017

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, it can, by expanding the bubble until it violently and painfully bursts. It works in cycles you see.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Holy gently caress that's going to raise costs of upgrading computers with an extra few hundred sek on freaking everything. :(

Not that many hardware components that weigh more than a kilo nowadays. And from personal experience the weighty parts such as chassis and power supply have quite some longevity. It surely will add up with time though, especially if you are one of those that upgrades constantly to sit at the bleeding edge of performance.

I think would be an ok tax in theory for steering the market towards less bulky tech. But for that it will be utterly useless if it applies to Sweden only, and I bet it will make some specific items, barely containing electronics, stupidly expensive.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Sweden and tanks...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx867tE6P4w

I bet you lesser Scandinavian countries don't have any majestic action movie remnants that would even be candidates for this :smug:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Amen. I like the comforts of the big city. Screw landsbygden, bunch of bigots and yokels

Landsbygden looks great though, too bad about the "no job prospects for 95% of people with university degrees" thing.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Noshtane posted:

You are perfectly able to do those things in Umeå for example and for a fraction of the cost of living compared to Stockholm.
It is not a human right to live in Stockholm, if you are unable to live there, Norrland is capable of sustaining life and it is not to be considered cruel and unusual treatment to live there as much of a surprise it may seem to many of you.
My proposal is to let Stockholm rot and focus on improving the smaller cities, they would actively support it unlike the population of Stockholm who seems to disdain any kind of change or attempt to improve anything.

The general job opportunities are pretty bad in Umeå region compared to the Stockholm region though, especially if you are two adults with university degrees. And it is only logical that companies locate themselves close to sources of labor and logistics hubs unless they are directly involved in natural resource extraction. The fact that the bulk of the population will have no established social network in place and might have an issue with the whole "more cold and darkness" will also contribute in making it a harder sell in Umeå's case.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Groda posted:

C did like a good minority shareholder and hosed right off through 2 x Reinfeld governments with any attempts at influential opposition to nuclear policy within the government, and I would say (warning: former Östhammar resident speaking) isn't even consistently anti-nuclear anymore. Well, or anything for that matter...

MP might not have a baby boomer green movement at its core -- whose opposition to nuclear power was like the best attempt of a Swedish Ralph Wiggum to fight for nuclear disarmament in a country that didn't actually have nuclear weapons -- but it's still doing a phenomenal job at attracting the enthusiastically uninformed.

There's the problem. Excess baseload power is incredibly important for the current electricity prices and Swedish industries, but it's also an abstract concept that will only get a "kanske det" (Swedish for "You're full of poo poo.") from even someone politically invested in energy issues as a voter. It's impossible to create the political will to refurbish our energy system on purpose, when hundreds of thousands of Swedish people in Sweden unironically view solar energy in Sweden positively.

Solar energy in Sweden IS a positive thing, at least for owners of free standing homes. It usually pays itself back in a decade in the southern part of Sweden where the vast majority of population reside. It also provide backup power in case of outages which combined with the current economics make it a decent investment considering the ownership times. For industry, apartments or general baseload yeah it will not do much of anything.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Retarded Goatee posted:

As long as Jönköping breeds at a rate equal to or greater than the general population, KD will stick around.

Surely the 10% of the vote in 1/30th of the population will be the tide that sweeps the polls.

I know you make fun of their religiosity but they are pretty average voters. KD mostly cannibalize other alliance parties.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

The kind of bike infrastructure planning I can get behind. To be real safe let's just put tank traps on all surface streets

Even in a car free, mostly truck free biking and public transport utopia one can still hijack a bus or something and just drive that recklessly enough to kill passengers and bystanders. Some determined fucker can even drive-by-knife people from his bike if he wants to, if not simply jogging up to them by foot. It's just a waste of resources to try and prevent these things with anything else than preemptive actions such as surveillance and other general and targeted actions aimed to prevent radicalization.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
And though some newer models are much more enclosed they are still not impossible to enter from the outside, just more difficult. Which is good for the safety of the driver during accidents in most normal cases.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I for one hope that Spotify don't go belly up because god drat it if I have to remake my huge playlists from scratch.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

And my beef isn't with spotify alone. but spotify still isn't paying that much to the rights holders (which means that the artists themselves gets even less). You have to be an artist like Drake or Rihanna to actually make money by being on spotify.

No, you have to be Drake or Rhianna to make more than 70 million per year from Spotify as per that article. And it is pretty dumb to think that just because you are a random folk-pop artist you deserve to get paid in similar amounts by Spotify. Spotify is not supposed to generate the bulk of income for the vast majority of artists, it is supposed to be one revenue stream out of several and a way to spread your work so that you can get a positive multiplier on other revenue streams. Not every genre or artist is fit for the kind of economy of scale that Spotify embodies, just as IKEA is not the place to go if you want personal or custom furniture.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

Like, things are a bit more expensive in general, but outside of eating out or alcohol it's not twice as expensive as britain

Depends on where in Britain he is coming from, but Norway in general is expensive as hell in terms of general living expenses even compared to other rich European countries. A 2x salary increase might also be significantly larger or smaller depending on the specific income taxation and associated costs for social services.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I'm apparently a forest Finn. Ask me anything (I know nothing).

How does one make tar from pinewood?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

White Rock posted:

But then we would have to bail out whichever country becomes Greece of Scandinavia.

If a Scandinavian country other than Iceland becomes a northern Greece we have a bigger problem than common currency, as that means we would have lost the basis of all our economies, reliable state apparatuses and general tax compliance. I mean yes, it could happen, but it would both take time and a dedicated effort to take us there from where we are right now, unless some ridiculous epic catastrophe falls upon our lands.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wild Horses posted:

changing voters and dumping the leftism seems like a good idea. hope they can make it

They will likely parasitize their potential coalition partners then, which seem counterproductive if they aim to form a powerful coalition.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Denmark, after losing to Prussia in the Holstein War, wanted to join Germany's Empire but was turned down.

Denmark has been ruled by German kings and nobility for so long that actually joining Germany proper would make little difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

Sweden should atone for past sins by invading Saudi Arabia and creating a foothold for social democratic values in the middle east.

A decent portion of the upper echelons of Iraqi Kurdistan speak Swedish, I think that is as far as Sweden will ever influence that region.