Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

S.J. posted:

Oh, gotcha. Yeah I definitely don't have access to Mk.1 Prime. I do have the IKRPG though, but it's been a little while since I've read through the fluff.

I managed to find the MK1 books via :filez: about 6 months ago, I have then on a thumb drive somewhere.

Interestingly enough, the painting guides involved Vallejo and GW paint for the warmachine book. By the time hordes came about the P3 line existed, and they haven't changed since.

Actually the only full book I failed to find was Convergence, and it was just the model stats :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What the gently caress are Cog People?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PaintVagrant posted:

That's what you get for Facebook

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pyrolocutus posted:

I've played both Cygnar and Legion quite a bit, and I think Cygnar also profited handsomely from Mk3. Legion is still good I think, but people are having to sort out what constitutes the new Legion. Having our Shepherds go from removing all fury to one, even with a +1 to their field allowance, is making something of a difference.

Paint-wise, I think Legion might be a bit easier, insofar as you have skin, then their natural armor/individual scales. The Nephilim might need additional thought about metal armor and cloth, but that's about it.

I do have to say that of the 3 factions I have in progress, Legion is the one that I'm most motivated to paint.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GoodBee posted:

I find beasts a little easier to paint than jacks. I like painting organic stuff like skin, fur, hair, etc. better. But then again wings are a little harder to paint than, um, not wings?

Yeah, definitely, the more details there are, the easier it is to hide mistakes. Jacks have a lot of large flat surfaces.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Finally picked up a mk3 Menoth and Legion starter box. Definitely impressed with what they did with them, and I kinda wish PP would start using these colored plastics for their plastics from here out.

Anyway, I read the fiction in the faction booklets. I love how that fat bastard is a hateful piece of poo poo while Kryssa seems like a patriot eager to prove herself. I've never really read fluff before, is this pretty standard for PP?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Friendly Fire posted:

I'm not sure this is true. The coloured Jacks in my Battle Box were(to my eyes anyway) almost identical to the others I have bought. Maddox seemed to have less sharp detail but that could just be mold issues or something.

I agree, I had most of the MK3 Battle Box models previously, and they're pretty close to the same as the grey restic, or in the case of my shredders, I'd say the colored ones are actually better than the ones I got from the MK 2 box.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Iceclaw posted:

Mine were in good condition. However, what are those faction and painting leaflets? Mine had the rulebook, dices, focus token, a template for a wall, the playmat and a cardboard ruler.

Uh, it's a booklet, it has about 5ish pages of fiction about your warcaster/warlock, an overview of the models in the box, a section on ideas on how to expand your Battle Box to 75 points, and a section on painting taken straight from the faction books in MK 2 give or take a section or two.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Iceclaw posted:

Okay. Either it's a mispack, or Victoria Games, which handles WMH's "translation" and distribution in my country blows even more than I thought. :(
Between that and that mispack from Guildball whose reimplacement parcel ended up being lost I think I'm kind of cursed.

Unfortunately it's probably Victoria games then, the rulers here are the crappiest part of the box being a cheap flimsy plastic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gannyGrabber posted:

But then you'd have to field Malekus which is the ultimate admission of defeat for a menoth player.

Malekus doesn't seem that bad :confused:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pyrolocutus posted:

High five indecisive buddy :smith::hf::smith:

Really, with 3.75 factions already (Cygnar, Cryx, Legion, mercenaries because lol 2e Cygnar, a scattering of trolls) in addition to other games, I shouldn't, but I so want to check Menoth/Skorne/Minions out.

Maybe if I get that one postdoc I really want I'll reward myself with one of those :unsmith:

I'm pretty sure that at some point I'm going to have a decent sized army of all the factions. Right now it's just Legion, Menoth, and some Circle for me. Legion is probably always going to be my primary one as it's the group I enjoy modeling and painting the most.

Right now I'm eyeballing some Convergence just because I want to give them racing stripes :negative:

EDIT:
I came to post that I really want there to be a Makaelus version of :btroll:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hra Mormo posted:

I bet if you took those things on tour you'd encourage at least one potato-looking gigasperg with a wispy attempt at facial hair into modeling quarter-inch bumpers to all his bases and citing yours as a precedent for why they would be tournament legal.

There is always the one guy.

I've wanted to get a set of acrylic cylinders in the dimensions that are used in game for WMH models and they would definitely eliminate things like this. Of course the concept I had behind it was more for checking heights, and for base to base on models that are difficult to get that close to in sections. Basically a temporary proxy when the need arises.

The problem is, the diameters are not standard in acrylic cylinders.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HJE-Cobra posted:

Sadly I'm not as interested in the new warcaster in the box, I'd kinda rather get that big paladin guy, Grand Exemplar Kreoss, Feora2, or the floating teenager. But I guess a guy holding a book is okay. Looks like a decent box deal either way.

The new boxes are phenomenal deals TBH

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
In non-errata chat, which colossal-ish sized model should I get that would double as a work-desk decoration.

My current armies are Menoth, Circle, and Legion.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Those are good choices, but the cutest option is the Hammerfal Siege Potato. It's v dopey and the front of it looks like a stupid face :3:

Dammit! I'm going to end up with a cubicle full of colossals eventually

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm totally going to get a Storm Raptor and paint it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liquid Communism posted:

Those are some really good looking models!

:agreed:

Reminds me that I really need to get back on my Adderall so I can finish painting everything I haven't finished

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Macero posted:

Any goons or goon friends do model painting? I have about 45 Ret models that need to be finished before June's RetxMas and I just don't want to do it. I will pay for good work etc etc.

I might be tempted to do this, just to get me out of my sameness for what's currently on my table. I'll post a sampling of my Legion, Circle, and Protectorate when I get home. I'm probably not going to win any awards, but they'll at least be above tabletop quality :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mp5 posted:

I'm also interested in maybe getting some Protectorate painted.

Macero posted:

Sweet man. Lemme see and we'll work out some numbers and go from there.

I got my car back from the shop last night, so I might have had a few beers and some tequila in celebration and forgotten to take pictures like I meant to, but I'll get to it tonight since I have nothing going on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jimmy Hats posted:

Crusader spam would tear the rear end in a top hat out of marauder spam i'm fairly certain. Try it!

You'd probably also beat jugg spam what with the buff from hymn of battle and costing 2 points less / heavy

Run them under durant for huge armor buffs and slam immunity, and laugh. Bring vassals and wracks for extra focus points. Easy peasy!

Nice, I really need to buy some more magnets to finish magnetizing my Crusaders that I got for cheap because they were MKII boxes. I still haven't figured out how to magnetize the Templar shields though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Khisanth Magus posted:

My Legion sold all at once. Also all of my 40k armies did. Its just kind of a hit or miss thing, you need to be selling at the same time someone else is looking for a whole army for that faction.

I sold off all my 40k stuff by dumping it off at a game store because I didn't feel like putting in the effort to sell it my self. They actually gave me more credit because I sorted and labeled everything, but YMMV

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Seriously, just buy one of these:
http://www.brokenegggames.com/arc-ninjas-30-40-50mm.html

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TWSS posted:

Hey there folks! Please trade me some fun 40k stuff or USD for my Khador army! SA-Mart thread here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817944

Please don't self-harm

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wouldn't worry, I'm pretty sure that the fervor over the new 40k developments are from people suffering from Stockholm Syndrome

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

S.J. posted:

Even if it ends up good, it's still GW.

That too. I've been looking at the models, and those new Nurgles look good, but drat they soured me really good on just GWness

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

drat, the FBI Doxx'd me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fyrbrand posted:

Guildball was hot for like 2 months around here. (to be fair, it was hot with like, 10-12 people maybe.) Now it's completely died out. I'm not against the game in theory. But if I'm going to get into a minis game, I have to be into the aesthetics. And none of the teams interested me enough in that way.

I bought two teams with part of the money I got for selling my 'hams so I could try it out and whatnot, but I never actually did anything beyond priming them.

Of course part of that is because I was unemployed and ran out of Adderall.

I can't wait to get on my new job's insurance so I can paint again :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There's more to Tabletop at least, because even if it's a dead game you can still get some enjoyment from the modelling aspect (if you're one of those people).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
All my stuff is on hold right now due to how frantic my personal life is right now, but here is the top of my work computer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Crazy Ferret posted:

There is so much cool Gator stuff coming down the pipeline. I cannot wait. The Dracodile, that Croc-Husk...thing, the new Barnabus, and all the solos.

Its a really good time to be into Gators, and minions in general really.

Awww poo poo! TIme for me to start a Gator army and make it a diorama

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Luebbi posted:

I'm playing in a FA:1 event on Saturday, and am about to get in my one and only training game with one of my lists.

Put the list on the tray and wanted to share. Double Colossals just look awesome as hell.

Nicely done! I'm looking forward to moving so I can get my table back and get back on the ball on getting my poo poo done

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:smugjones: it's no dickogre

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chutche2 posted:

Still waiting for my manowar theme list

Just play Sign of the Hammer at full volume

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I kinda like that it's not exxxtreme or overdone with a million needless details. I think it's simplicity is elegant, and there's still a lot of good building detail.

no doubt it's gonna be overpriced though.

:yossame: I've been out of it for a little while, but it's also really nice to see what Menoth architecture looks like in an official capacity.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Iceclaw posted:

Well, at least they moved from that. Hell, mk2's page 5, flawed as it was, had a provision that said: "the goal of this page isn't to assuage your vertically challenged ego". Baby steps. And then it was gone in mk3.

AH, that must be why everyone says WMH is dead now :ms:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Iceclaw posted:

Then you open it and it's Legion. Scather Crews, Legionnaires, and Abominations. :chloe:

I like painting Legion

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really need to get back into this. I keep these guys on my desk at work

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Failson posted:

I am very cautiously interested in Cygnarspace.

S.J. posted:

To be honest I've always just preferred sci-fi anyways. And although I really enjoy infinity, in a lot of ways it seems way over designed to me. I just need next Tuesday to get here because I need gameplay examples.

:same:

Now that my life has settled back down after the last few years, I'm looking for a lead back into the miniatures hobby, so I'm hoping this will give me an excuse. One thing I've always wanted to do is make a diorama that doubles as an army display, so if it piques me enough and the KS price is right, I might finally get around to it.

Narrator: He didn't.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

is that right? I thought there were 4 phases to the release schedule for Kickstarter. Not that there would be 3 more, separate kickstarters, on the way this year

From the very bottom of the Kickstarter under "delivery schedule":

quote:

This Kickstarter is funding four months of content creation and delivery for Warcaster: Neo-Mechanika. It will ship in four waves, each approximately one month apart. If at any time we are able to combine wave shipments, we will do so, and save on your shipping costs accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I feel like that confirms what I said

I don't disagree :shrug:

That said, I put in for a battlegroup because I've been itching to get back into miniatures, and why not start with a complete army?