Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Call the number. Worth it.

A 2 year or so hiatus from the last thread kept me off the loser list. I remember being in the running the first year though.

I'm on summer break right now, time to spend a day getting drunk and watching the animated series. The only series I haven't seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Friendship ended with Elim Garak. Kira Juno is my friend now.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Pakled posted:

Yeah if you're gonna skip any episode of any Star Trek, it'd be Shades of Grey. You can at least be assured now that you won't see any more clip shows and TNG gets much better starting in the third season.

Fun fact: the studio asked them to make another clip show in the 4th season but they hated that idea and by then they were a big enough gorilla that they were able to say no.

And that's how we ended up with The Drumhead. A good episode.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Counterpoint, because of Vic, we got singing Sisko.

I'll let it slide.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Oh poo poo, there's two trek threads in tv/iv. Finally watched Discovery, so I can start reading this thread again.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

I tried that once with the old thread. I ended up in the Triangulum Galaxy.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I haven't watched it, and I've been reading this whole time.

There wasn't a modern trek thread when it was first coming out, and I didn't want spoilers, so here we are.

The free month of CBS means I was able to get caught up. Discovery is alright, 2nd season was better than the 1st. I'll get to Picard this week I think. And the rest of the shorts.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Thank you. I was just about to post that when I saw Argle's post. My hatred for Faith of the Heart knows no bounds.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

We could've had The Orville 30 years ago.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Tighclops posted:

This is why we can't have nice things

but enough about your posting

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Waltz is a top tier episode. Brooks and Alaimo just chewing each other's scenery was great.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

*Stinks up threads with hundreds of pissy posts about a TV show nobody is forcing him to watch* "Hey, don't get mad, bro, you can just turn me off!"

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

Screams and runs away

I've still never watched The Orville but this has persuaded me to give it a try.

it's good trek.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

netflix has seen my watch history. it knows i'm a sucker for irish accents and smoldering eyes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

stupid sexy o'brien

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

just hit season 4 of my ds9 rewatch.

it's worfin' time

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

i forgot how tonally jarring it is to go from "The Way Of The Warrior" straight into "The Visitor". They're both great episodes, but just a bit of a disconnect.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Who wouldn't want a Keiko action figure?

KIra. Polycule life is tough.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Astroman posted:

LEETA
the DABO GIRL

honestly better than LEETA, BASHIR'S GIRLFRIEND or LEETA, ROM'S WIFE

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

:dorftrek:

Powered Descent posted:

LEETA, WHO IS HER OWN PERSON AND ISN'T DEFINED BY THE MEN IN HER LIFE

Exactly.

Rewatching DS9 and occasionally reading the memory alpha. Ran across this for Ties of Blood and Water

quote:

This episode introduces Weyoun 5 after his "death" in "To the Death" and reveals that the Vorta clone themselves (a premise which was created specifically so Jeffrey Combs could reprise his role). As Ira Steven Behr explains, "When we first saw Jeff Combs do the role in "To the Death", we were wishing we could find a different ending to the episode, because we really didn't want the character to die. But we couldn't think of anything. The next thing you know, they're out in Griffith Park, shooting the fight, and he's dead. I knew immediately that he had to come back. There was no way he couldn't."

And at least they address why people keep calling Gul Dukat "Gul" no matter his position. Military advisor to a civilian government, captain of a freighter, overseer of a station, leader of the cardassian empire, head of a cult. Still a Gul.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Or if you're playing Star Trek Online, Mirror Leeta, Admiral and commander of the Terran Empire Fleet. WHY NOT.

i'm 5 years clean. you can't tempt me.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Five years ago was just after the Romulus stuff came out, right? That was the peak of the game anyway. (such as it were).

Peak was the dyson sphere arc. Because you got to call orbital strikes down on laser-toting t-rexes. I got out right after the delta quadrant stuff dropped.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

I figured it was like how in the old south they'd keep calling you Colonel or Captain or the like if you got to that rank and were now retired, something which we mostly now know from Col. Sanders.

"Well bless your heart" - a traditional Cardassian greeting

lol, for some if it definitely, yeah. But I remember a scene or two where Dukat's bitching about becoming a Legate again, but I don't remember anyone ever referring to him as "Legate Dukat". It's just one of those things you notice on a umpteenth watch through. Like how all the aliens are horny for O'Brien.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

[Deep Space 9, 2375, Vic’s Lounge]

Bashir: You know what we need to do to solve this problem

O’Brien: heist? heist-

Command Staff: [chanting] heist, Heist

Rest of the Cast: [pounding the table] Heist, HEIST, HEIST!

Sisko: [throwing open the doors] HEIIIIIISSSST!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

The Dog becoming a cube and rolling away is still a great sight gag.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

And Kira Nerys can show up, but just as a Visitor

booooooooooooooooo

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

piratepilates posted:

I will always like the DS9 intro+theme, and hate the infidels that do not.

it improved when more ships were added. it's a trading hub. it needs ships.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Tuvix is a good episode. Janeway is right that tuvok and neelix needed to have a say in their continued existence or nonexistence. But she's still a murderer and the rest of the command staff are co-conspirators.

Tunicate presents a compelling argument for the restoration of Tuvix.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

this is a canon scene

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Solitons? That didn't work out so well last time...

only if they're waves. particles are fine. just keep them away from slits in paper and you're good.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

MikeJF posted:

It suffered dramatically from a last-minute rewrite that destroyed the plot. Up until then, when Molly went through the portal she ended up in an alien village, and was raised by them and among their culture, and it was different enough that she couldn't re-assimilate to DS9 and missed her foster family and they decided it would be kinder to send her back to them.

that sounds like a much more interesting episode than what we got.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

The thing about Far Beyond the Stars being the best is that it only works that way in context with the rest of the show. You've seen 6 and a half seasons of these actors playing their characters and building their universe. Now you get to see them do their thing (examine social issues), but through the lens of new characters. Watching that episode in a vacuum takes away some of its punch because it's ultimately a character piece on Sisko. The Visitor has the same thing going on, but for Jake too. You get more out of it the more familiar you are with the characters. They're still favorites of mine, and I wish more modern serialized shows would do character episodes like these.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

brikar, not brikari. they're from the tng starfleet academy books.

:edit: oh, it's the same guy in both the new frontier and the starfleet academy books.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Happy Captain Picard Day! :toot:

what hath picard wrought?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHMti7u9TBE

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rascals is kind of a bad episode, but the kid casting for Stewart and Whoopi was spot-on.

Timby posted:

They already knew they had a good thing going with David Tristan Birkin (young Picard), because he had already played Picard's nephew René in Family two years prior.

not only that, Isis J. Jones played a young Whoopi earlier that year in Sister Act.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

multijoe posted:

Some of the best episodes are evil Janeway though...

inside every starfleet captain is a struggle between good and evil that cannot be resolved

*fade to dream sequence of a maraca-playing queen arachnia dancing on good janeway's grave*

i am evil janeway, i am evil janeway

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Sad I missed O'Brien/Meaney chat. I still want to pitch an O'Brien as an exasperated starfleet academy engineering professor show. Basically a reversed magic school bus. Half stem education, half zany starfleet technobabble antics.
- Class creates a tiny rotating singularity for a science project. Oops, now there are two professor o'briens.
- Smiley comes in as a guest lecturer to teach multiverse theory.
- "c'mon cadets, today we learn about mechanics of materials! Who's heard of mohr and his famous circle?"
- hates the red squad kids. always makes fun of them for getting a "tough little ship" blown up. and being failed terrorists.
- classroom pet is his pet tarantula, christina
- kiroyoshi grew up into a klingon weeb.

it's all dumb as hell, but could be fun.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

that would explain cetacean ops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

There really should have been a tradition of space shanties, every time we open on the bridge at least a couple people are drumming on a console and intoning "she was a lass from a faraway world the dusky beauty of a Risian girl with her horgahn out and top pulled down I lost my heart in a Risian town" or some poo poo, Riker's all HO HO, WOULDN'T YOU KNOW, OUT TO THE BLACK IS WHERE WE MUST GO, YEOMEN ALL AT THE HELM OF THIS SCOW AND THE STARS WILL GUIDE US TO DISTANT SHORES

be careful what you wish for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjxMieuRPe4