Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

NSFW https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzXlvwgDCgo

Dang, wanted this on the first page. NSFW lyrics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I loved the Shatnerverse books. I'm a big Kirk fan so the were just awesome to me.

Those books make more sense than Troi beating Data at chess.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

So let's say your young daughter falls into a time portal and comes out 18 years old and crazy. Would you;

A) try and send her to the best starfleet medical center for rehabilitation

Or

B) throw her back in time to live in seclusion with no medicine and die alone. Also give her a doll.

Seriously what the hell? They had no idea that would send young Molly back, they were just condemning their daughter to a life alone forever on a horrible prehistoric planet.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

skasion posted:

Isn't there a series bible or pitch for TOS, like for TNG?

Yeah, and Gene sold it for $2.00 when the show got canceled.

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Star_Trek/1_Original_Series/Star_Trek_TOS_Writer%27s_Guide.pdf

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 13, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

C'mon guys, you're missing some big ones.

1) Friends

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oUc0vbSlanM

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I'm up to Season 3 of TNG and Data keeps telling people that he doesn't have feelings or emotions but he totally does. Is this supposed to be a dramatic irony thing or just conflicting writing?

For fun count the times he uses contractions, especially in the episode when it is a big deal that Lore can. Maybe they transported the wrong android?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Astroman posted:

It amazes me that nobody in the entire history of 5 shows and over a dozen movies has had the balls to actually show a Daedalus on screen, in canon (NOT a model). :mad:

Enterprise had a goddamn EPISODE called Daedalus and IT WASN'T loving ABOUT A SHIP. Cockteases!

Maybe Discovery wi---AHAHAHAHAHHAAHA no who am I kidding. :suicide:

Wasn't there one in All Good Things?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Gonz posted:

Looks like i've got some fresh reading to do this week.

I got these on audiobook, I'm 11 hours in and they are just wrapping up talking about Undiscovered Country.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

How are the audio versions of those books? I think I've got some credits on audible for them.

It's ok, a few different narrators to read the clips to make it interesting since there are no characters. The first hour of each is a slog since a large portion of it is them reading off the names of people.

There a quite a few segments about Gene being an rear end in a top hat.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 31, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Encounter at Nearpoint

Hide and P

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Darmok and Jalad at Tacobell

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Zurui posted:

What's wrong with Anthony Rapp? :colbert:

Childhood friend of "comedian" Andy Dick.

Doug Jones should play Arex.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 30, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

McSpanky posted:

That is how they should treat it in the setting of the show, but the news of an original gay character in Star Trek is kind of a big deal precisely because there's never been one before. It's still lame that it's a news item now and not 15-20 years ago when it would've been pushing that boundary for general TV instead of just the franchise, but here we are.

I agree 100%, but I don't think that will ever happen in Discovery. They are going to focus on it, make entire episodes about it, make the character have to make a decision to either save the ship or his husband to prove gay love is just as strong as straight love. It will be eye-rollingly forced and insulting to anyone, gay or not, watching the show.

I think it is completely necessary to have gay characters on Star Trek and it is a little insulting it has taken this long. I also think they did a fine job with it in Beyond. They had a character be gay but that wasn't what defined his writing or characterization, he simply was gay man, like real people in the real world. This wont be that, this will be a desperate, try-hard attempt to be relevant because Discovery really doesn't have anything else going for it.

I know I sound pessimistic about this show and pray to Sha Ka Ree that I am wrong, that somehow the writers will be able to make something watchable and not "he is GAY! Stare at him and treat him different!", but these are the same writers that made the later seasons of Heroes, Voyager pocket books, and Eight Legged Freaks. I'm just hoping Nicholas Meyer can keep them pointed in the right direction. I want a real gay character with real emotions and real development on Star Trek, not a stunt that gets announced before they even say what the show is going to be about.

Considering they just recently bothered to decide a time setting, I am worried the whole show is "ok, we have a gay guy, so they should find an new alien race that hates homosexuality (and say that in the federation he faces constant discrimination too) and the new aliens will only join if they can kill all the gays." because if having a gay character is somehow big deal they will have to retcon every other episode of Star Trek made where it didn't matter to anyone. In the new book about the history of Star Trek, they are constantly talking about the evolution of humanity and how people in Kirk's time would have moved past judgments of others for their individuality.

Star Trek, to me, has always been that stunning vision of the future where no one gave a crap anymore what orientation you were or what race you were. It would have people being accepted for who they were without it being seen as a limitation or a problem that needed to be overcome.

Bryan Fuller could do this, he really could do it well, but something makes me think it will not be done properly in staggering mess Discovery seems to becoming. He is no longer the show runner and that makes me think they are already butting heads with the direction the show would be going in.

Again, I really want the show to be good and to be able to watch Star Trek again without explaining "Oh, it is this old show that used to be good", but until I hear the theme song I am not getting my hopes up at all.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I want a space marshmallow machine

$15 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sta...vIAAOSwB09YONCM

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I was disappointed by Into Darkness because I really wanted Cumberbatch to be Gary Mitchell. (That was a theory for a while) For me, Trek is best when Kirk shoots lasers at a God.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It wasn't consistent. There's a cook that calls up to the bridge in Charlie X, but by the time David Gerrold was working on The Trouble With Tribbles he was told by Gene Coon that there was no cook on the ship.

Wasn't the cook voiced by Roddenberry? I think that wins.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I have poo poo all over Discovery since I heard about it, but that little promotional video isn't terrible.

It says to me "We have at least seen a few episodes of Star Trek and are going to try to respect it" instead of "OUR Star Trek is going to be sooo progressive".

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

MillennialVulcan posted:

Looks like an updated smoother version of the Titan design.

That looks more like the NX-01 that the titan design.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

You'd think they would make all us nerds happy and build a physical model of it. Can you imagine the positive reactions? I know tv shows (or in this case webisodes) don't do that anymore but it would change the entire way people think of this show. I'm sure CGI is cheaper and easier, but it would be great if they decided to not make it the cheapest and easiest way possible.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Goddamn, someone already claimed one of the $3000 backer rewards.
And one of the $2000 rewards, which involves Nana Visitor cooking dinner for you.

I really hope she isn't murdered and eaten by whoever buys that.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Remember Doctor M'Benga? He was in a couple TOS episodes. In the Shatnerverse his granddaughter is a doctor too, and everyone calls her Bones.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

God drat it, Star Trek. Why do you hurt us when we love you so? At this rate the Vulcans are going to look like the Remans.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Orion slave girls were always purple and feathered, right?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Does anyone else think it looks like they are wearing skirts?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

"What's your favorite thing about space? Mine is space."
"Space going to space can't wait."
"Space..."
"Space. Trial. Puttin' the system on trial. In space. Space system. On trial. Guilty. Of being in space! Going to space jail!"
"Space space going to space oh boy"

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

TheKeeper posted:

Here's something I happened across that you fine folks may enjoy: AMAZING STAR TREK MUSIC MONTAGE

It goes through all of the TV themes (with the exception of Enterprise) and has a few familiar riffs from a couple of the movies.

It is included with the Star Trek: Horizons mod for Stellaris, which is where I first heard it. As a fan of ST for all of my 41 years of life, this is the best ST music montage I've yet heard; and it was done by one dude.

It reminds me of the 4 Cords song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Star Trek shows should take place in the future. Just say some rift opened into a different universe and go explore there. Not a mirror one, a whole new one.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I don't know why people would want a Star Trek show to to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I'm just going to say it. I hope that the pitbull doesn't kill him. I know he is doing a nice thing and that it probably won't happen, but I don't want to read the headline "Stat Trek actor mauled by pitbull" unless it is about Wil Wheaton.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I've been watching Angie Tribeca and one episode had a sushi chef named Kobauashi Maru. I kept expecting for George Takei to show up but he never did.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Voyager is the only Star Trek show that I never watched. I tried the first few episodes when it was first on, and years later I tried again on Netflix but it is just unwatchable. The characters just don't interest me (other than The Doctor), the idea of "lost in space" was wasted, and the look and feel of the show seemed cheap and basic. I love Star Trek, but Voyager was insulting to me as if they said "make this for the nerds" instead of nerds themselves with a vision making a show about things they thought would be interesting. And I watch Big Bang Theory, I'm not fussy.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I just default to hating all news about Discovery, but I have to admit love I Dwight in anything. I hope someone puts his phaser in jello.

Holy poo poo, that worked better than I thought it would.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Peter David is the author of some of the better Star Trek novels. It seems he's run into a bit of trouble with the IRS and is now trying to crowd-source a bunch of money.

http://www.peterdavid.net/2017/03/31/i-am-in-desperate-trouble/

I figure what the heck, I've enjoyed his stuff over the years, I'll toss him a few bucks.

I sent him $5 just because he uses an AOL address for paypal.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

It's weird but I still think "The Cage" is my favorite episode of any Star Trek.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe CBS is hoping if they delay Discovery long enough people will forget about it and then they can hide it on some streaming service. Oh wait.

If they really thought it was something that could stand on its own it would be on real tv, right after Survivor. They can't place it right into syndication like they did with TNG and DS9 since no on wants it anymore after VOY and ENT pushed away all the non-trekkers. Every network has always treated Star Trek, since TOS, is some "nerd" show to churn out to make a profit with the absolute least amount of effort and expense.

Discovery is that times a million.

CBS is ashamed of TV Star Trek fans and don't want them to interfere with the people they think matter, fans of Blue Bloods and NCIS.

If you think I'm wrong, why isn't Kevin Can Wait exclusively on CBS all access? Last week Kevin Can Wait had a 6 million viewers on CBS, more than any episode of in the entire last three seasons for Enterpise. If they want tempt people to join all access, wouldn't the want to use a show that people want to watch? That is not why Discovery is going to all access, it is not a reward for Star Trek fans, it is an insult to show that nerds can suck it. They keep delaying it because Star Trek doesn't matter to them as much as The Big Bang Theory. The production problems would be fixed in a week if there were on the set of Criminal Minds.

Or maybe it will be awesome and surprise me. Has anyone seen Kevin Can Wait, is it good?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Gear: Champagne bottle, engineering equipment. I really wish we could have seen the deleted scene of retired alcoholic Kirk performing drunken space repairs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=REhmdOE5pT0

He was skydiving from orbit.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

spincube posted:

I imagine it'd be like trying to deftly and elegantly launch a paper plane from a fighter jet.

Not a lot of wind in space.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Another thing about "Code of Honor" is when they do the fight, the guy says ;

"The rules are known; let combat continue until there is a victor. It will not be interrupted."

Then right after that he interrupts the fight when Yareena loses her weapon. Keep in mind, he wants her to lose, it's why he is doing it.

Plus, they have a plan in place to save Yareena's life, but don't give a poo poo about the innocent guy who is killed accidentally from the same poison. They have a cure and are waiting to use it. You'd think they wouldn't want anyone to die but nope, just Yareena. His life isn't worth saving

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I will watch this and probably enjoy it way too much. It already looks better than Discovery...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

The Orville will be a physical model. I'm sure they augment it with CGI but still, good for them.