Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

Remember Chief Engineer Argyle? One of the chief engineers during TNG season 1? One of ideas they had for season 1 was that the Ent-D was too large and complex for one chief engineer to handle, so they had like 4 that they'd rotate through on the show.

But then they'd need a Chief Chief Engineer to coordinate the Chief Engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Man, "head-canon" is really a dumb term.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Duncan Doenitz posted:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but given how heavily Beyond references elements of ENT, is there a mostly agreed upon list of episodes worth watching? I've been binging on Netflix and it's kind of a slog, and that theme song :barf:

Basically, just skip to the last season.

Drone posted:

"Giant green space hand"
The giant green space hand showed up for a couple seconds in the credits sequence, with the fingers just visible at the side of the screen.

Kesper North posted:

I was going to hate that so much, and then the setup was perfect and the payoff was glorious, and it felt totally earned.
I wish they'd given a couple seconds of buildup, swarm ships wobbling and then starting to visibly crash into each other or whatever, and maybe some uncoordinated stragglers that the crew manages to just barely take down with the outdated weapons on the ship, rather than just "all of them immediately blow up".

WickedHate posted:

That ship is heavily reminiscent of a Klingon Bird of Prey from the original series. Or maybe a Warbird. One of the two.

I can't help but see the back half of a K'tinga with a saucer attached to it.

Pakled posted:

The docking clamps in particular look like really poor early 2000's low-budget CGI. ENT had better CGI than this.

I was totally thinking "it looks like the Beast Wars cartoon".

Tunicate posted:

Sector General TV show, got it.

I could see Star Trek: Sector General as a CW show stocked with a generically attractive inoffensively multiracial cast

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I love how in the newest one, the ominous bridge music is a track playing on Worf's console.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 2, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

WickedHate posted:

people from Saturn Girl's planet

Uh...Saturn?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This is how Discovery will be an anthology show; the cast of each episode will be supplimented by the promoted band, so one week has the Weeknd as a mysterious alien foe, and the next week has Imagine Dragons as the away team.

And the season finale will be driven by the machinations of Commodore William Broad, played by Billy Idol :v:

I would watch this show.

Zurui posted:

No, really, the CW makes successful genre shows with emotional resonance that people follow religiously. But no, let's have zero Star Trek because this guy says Arrow is bad.

I was totally into Arrow until it became Felicity And Also Arrow Sometimes I Guess.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

"Dear Doctor" was rad as hell, and not just because it's an overdue episode about Phlox. It's the first episode that really felt like classic Trek: a character-driven ethical dilemma with a parallel world/alternate reality scenario driving it. I've been enjoying ENT, mainly because I have such low expectations for it, but this one set a new bar for the show's potential. I liked it up there with classic TNG and DS9 episodes, and not just, "meh, this is pretty good for ENT" or "well, at least this isn't Voyager."

Treating EVOLUTION!!!! like it's some kind of moral force isn't an ethical dilemma, it's just antiscientific stupidity.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

"How was your party last week?"
"Well some people accidentally littered so, you know, that went about the way you'd expect."

"What's the penalty for being late?"

"Death."

"What's the penalty for rebellion?"

"Death."

"Well, you know, seeing as how we're already late..."

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Even if there's not the budget for crazy aliens, that could have been a fun thing to have offscreen mentions of in one of the series. "Oh, Ensign Zyxyzz spun his web in the Jeffries tube again!"

There's some throwaway lines in TNG about the cetacean tanks on the Enterprise.

Duckbag posted:

Really, Data is one of the worst realized characters on the entire show. He's well acted, but nothing about who he is actually makes sense. Why does he want to be human? Seven years and they never really explained the basic impulse. I mean, if he doesn't have emotion, why is he invested in it? I'm pretty loving sure "wanting to belong" is an emotion. Also, Data comes across like an autist because half the time he's written like he does have emotions but simply can't express them. With Spock, the breaks in his logical facade worked because, of course, he does have emotions, they're just controlled, but with Data, it just comes across as inconsistency.

From what I understand, "has emotions but doesn't really understand them" was the original slant on his character and then they retconned in "doesn't have emotions" later. If you look at the earlier episodes, he has some subtle but obvious emotions on his face in assorted scenes, but then it shifts to total flat-affect robot face at some point.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Presumably that's his speciality, which they'll forget about after episode 3 after he becomes Generic Science Officer.

He'll be the generic science officer who makes "fun guy" jokes.

Subyng posted:

Space fungus is dumb because it makes no sense that alien planets have exact analogues of earth life

There's that TOS episode where the twist ending is that convergent evolution made another planet produce an exact copy of the US Constitution at some point during its history.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 7, 2017

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I dunno, I think the concept of a militarily aggressive capitalist state is perfectly sound - it was just poorly executed like so many other decent ideas from early-TNG.

They were also supposed to be physically scary despite being small because they moved really fast like snakes, and you can almost see echoes of that in the makeup design except it turned into "borderline Jew caricature" instead of "cobra hood head/ears".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

remusclaw posted:

I think though that there is no bumfuck anywhere on Earth anymore by that point, though the opening of JJ Trek would refute that a generation or so earlier in the timeline. Anyone who is anywhere is there because that is where they want to be.

Plus transporters make the basic complications of travel for hobby/business go away completely. You can have a six-story house with beautiful views in the middle of bumfuck nowhere where nobody will ever bother you when you want some privacy, and still transport to the middle of Paris whenever you want.

Frionnel posted:

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-discovery-gallery-opens-at-comic-con

More Discovery designs.

I love all the Fed stuff and even some Klingon props. The rest though... eh.

I like the Starfleet stuff, but all the Klingon stuff looks like they suddenly gained the fashion sense of the drow from D&D.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I guess the one way they could get around this is if the ship's computer is considered sentient and has rights and it's just playing all the parts on the holodeck like an actor.

The ship's computer as an intelligent and helpful but fundamentally inhuman being in a way that extends beyond "beep boop paradox does not compute" would be cool and imaginative, so modern Star Trek won't do it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

It's gotta be kinda weird to try to rehab the Bashirs if that is in fact part of their punishment. Like, they did something illegal, but it's hard to see what they did as objectively immoral. They're sent away for what is essentially the violation of a cultural taboo.

Now you know where all the people living on those little colonies who tell Starfleet to gently caress off come from.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

happyhippy posted:

"What is the nature of the engineering emer...oh its you. I mean me."
"Did you complete the laser sealing of the Kendle Sprockets in the right nacelle?"
"I thought that was YOUR job!?!"
"NO, it wasn't. I specifically told you to do..."
"NO YOU DIDNT! Why you..."
*Andy Dick Foreman appears*
"Quit it you two. Get back to work."

I see a glimmer of something brilliant here: Star Trek, except it's the Three Stooges, except they're all Robert Picardo.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Not if you’re actively going into combat. Then you need damage control parties, and against the borg, armed anti boarding parties.

Sure, but the ship is so huge that they could have substantial crew complement just for damage control and security and still run them on 8/8/8 shifts. There's orders of magnitude more living space in just the saucer than in any real-world aircraft carrier.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Yeah but they don't, though. The whole crew is just Beverly.

Fixed that for you.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

I remember that a lot of the Star Trek EU stuff, back in the 80s and 90s, you know, the Pocket Books novels and what not, posited that TOS Klingons were actually 'Klingon/human fusions' intended to better interact with their neighbours, or the result of experimentation and what not that the Empire decided to make use of.

An alien empire that intentionally creates half-X races to live at each of its buffer zones with other major species (and treats them as valuable citizens, not disposable minions) would be a really cool idea to see explored.

Tighclops posted:

also lol at the idea of anybody in the late 80's calling TNG grimdark

For as much as The Orville bothers me, I'm glad that we have it around to carry forward the proud tradition of scifi spaceships with interiors like hotel conference spaces.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
edit: reply is not edit

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

Yeah seriously. I can buy that it would make sense to project some kind of humanoid form in order to better support organic miners in an intuitive way, use human-shaped mining tools and so on, but why does it need to be a suffering incarnation of Robert Picardo instead of some dude in a faceplate helmet?

Well, and there's the broader :smuggo: context of "mines don't work that way".

Actual modern mining looks like this:

The miners aren't chipping bits out of the walls and dropping those bits in mine carts... they're operating various types of tunnel-boring machines and rock-crushing machinery. On top of that, the Federation wouldn't even need half of that stuff because of force fields and tractor beams. Even without full automation, mine operators would just be a couple of guys in a comfy booth with remote control drill/tractor-beam drones: drill out a section, use the tractor beam to separate out the materials, use the tractor beam to move the desired materials into a storage container.

In conclusion, the only sane way to treat that whole thing is just to pretend that it doesn't exist, like a lot of Voyager.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Q_res posted:

No, the idea is that it uses soundwaves in lieu of water.

Well, when they're shown in TMP and VOY sonic showers are (explicitly) just sort of a magical dirt vaporization thing, but they also seem relaxing, so presumably there's some sort of massage effect.

In TNG, though, there's that mention of somebody reprogramming a sonic shower to dump mud on Wesley, which would imply it's both sonic and shower rather than sonic instead of shower.

The most coherent overall answer would probably be that the fancy ones have a huge range of settings (water, spa treatments, sonic stuff, whatever), but the simple ones are purely sonic to cut down on the structural logistics.

Smythe posted:

i always kinna thot that beaming & poo poo was prob not as common on the ground kuz it costs a lot of power and gear idk. its diff when ur on the drat enterprise, the flagship * Big Daddy of the entire federation

Starfleet cadets have transporter credits that are relatively limited (beam back and forth every day and you'll use up a month's worth in a week), but that may just be meant as a gentle way to introduce people to the more isolated communities like starships have, rather than actually being a limited resource.

Beachcomber posted:

Even though Sisko's cooking real food, they might still use a replicator system for plates and silverware. Probably they beam it right off the table.

Maybe it's like one of those sushi train restaurants, except the train has little robot arms that clean up tables and move plates around.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 18, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I couldn't really get into The Orville after the pheremone rape episode, doubly so after the main cast set up a pair of aliens who hate each other for pheremone rape while acting as if this is somehow a good idea that can't possibly lead to two alien empires hating them for being pheremone rapists.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sure, but the whole point of that episode is that she loves the worm, not the host.

Star Trek: Love The Worm, Not The Host

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Only someone with Data's super strength could break such a thing

Unless a Vulcan was trying to move a chair, it got snagged on the flesh melting gas tube, and he pulled real hard.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

skasion posted:

The biggest obstacle to watching Babylon 5 is that every interior shot looks like a con and every exterior shot looks like a freakin PS1 game.

I still wonder how they hosed up the lighting enough to make every single interior shot look so flat and shallow. Somehow TNG made 10-Forward look like a real place with volume to it, but B5 could never make the ambassadors' suites look like anything but a three-wall sitcom stage.

Arglebargle III posted:

What is with the modern drama story element of having Dead characters come back to have scenes with living characters like in their heads or something? You see it in virtually everything now.

You should watch DC's Legends of Tomorrow. They reuse the same actors in every possible comic-book-enabled permutation of different characters. Alternate universe versions of the same character, shapechangers pretending to be a character, hallucinations, ALTERNATE alternate universe versions of the same character, time travel to bring in earlier or later versions of the same character, the list goes on.

It's stupid but also kind of brilliant because they do a reasonably good job of keeping all these versions distinct, so while you know they're never going to jettison the actor, there's some actual drama in whether or not this specific Bob that you like the most will survive a given situation.

BrandonGK posted:

Power Rangers got pretty metal after I stopped watching it.

Power Rangers In Space is the capstone to the entire set of original Power Rangers seasons, and ends with Bulk and Skull having some actual character development and becoming more-or-less good people and then Zordon sacrificing himself to blow up the endless space armies of the bad guys (and Sailor Moon-style purifying Rita, who cameos as a Zordon-esque good witch in later seasons).

After that they stopped having a continuous storyline across seasons and just had each season as its own independent thing with occasional nonsensical crossovers between seasons, like the one episode in season 10 where ten different Red Rangers have to stop space badguys from digging up Lord Zedd's lost ultramegazord to blow up Earth.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 18, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Wow, I honestly can't imagine where the gently caress 600,000 dollars would have gone per episode in season one.

Hiring costs add up fast. You've got a dozen stunt guys in spandex as the minions who show up every episode, a couple of better-trained stunt guys who can do that while wearing big rubber costumes, all the extras that run around screaming when Angel Grove gets attacked, the recurring side characters in all the high school scenes...

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The Orville rape episode offends me both for the shallow rape jokes and because "let's make a lasting peace happen by brainwashing two ambassadors into temporarily loving each other" is so dumb it can't even hold suspension of disbelief until the credits roll.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The thing with Derullio is none of the characters affected by him seemed to feel personally violated, and he didn't seem to be doing it on purpose.

That just makes them weird Stepford robots like the S1 TNG crew, though.

Phylodox posted:

There is, though. There very, very obviously is, otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation. All the other stuff is pointless obfuscation and equivocation. They took a story about sexual violation and basically said, “Nah, it’s okay, guys, it’s Rob Lowe! He’s charming and affable and delightfully befuddled and that makes it okay!”

It’s a bullshit episode that shouldn’t have gotten made in this day and age.

:yeah:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Epicurius posted:

So, CBS is being sued about Discovery:

http://trekzone.org/1701/201808232505

Apparently, this Kuwaiti game designer has been making a science fiction game since 2014, where the main character is this botanist who works out a system for intergalactic travel using giant tardigrades. I don't know that the lawsuit will get anywhere, but still.

Here's the game designer's blog, pointing out similarities between his trailer/game, and Discovery's plot.

https://anas-tronaut.blogspot.com/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-tardigrades.html

And I'm sure the use of space tardigrades definitely doesn't have a common inspiration in the repeated scientific studies on actual tardigrades in space every year since 2011, several of which centered on the idea of putting tardigrades on tiny space probes to send to other solar systems.

Edit: One of his examples of "plagiarism" is the blue static effect that Star Trek has been reusing for force fields since TNG.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 27, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
In retrospect, we're lucky there was never a Stargate Infinity-style obviously-a-generic-toyetic-concept-with-some-of-the-details-quickly-relabed cartoon offshoot of Trek.

A Real Ghostbusters "the writers are just making up a whole offshoot universe worth of stuff to get seven seasons of syndicated cartoons out, but a lot of it is actually pretty good" would have been cool, though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Someone already committed Nog's diff on accident

code:
git checkout -b tom-riker

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pacra posted:

What is that ship, the USS Pendulous Breasts?????

James Cameron made a design for a spaceship with boobs to make fun of Roger Corman, and Roger Corman decided to actually put it in the movie.

I'm not joking, that's actually what happened.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gonz posted:

Security has always been rather lax on Starfleet ships.

Apparently nobody reinvented push notifications after WW3, because they never have even the most basic of automatic alerts like "Ensign Nativeamericanstereotype has vanished from deck 3" or "Ensign Russiansterotype has remained in quarters for two hours beyond the normal start of his shift".

And that's just the stuff doable with combadges and not even TNG sensors, where the computer could just run constant scans of every public area and report anybody who's not supposed to be there.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 5, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I still love that concept art of the grand hall-sized bridge with couches and barca loungers up front and an observation deck on the second floor, dudes just chillin' in the ship's command center.

Imagine being the guy working at the console when somebody sitting on the couch in front keeps propping their arms back.

Edit: Having your lunch in the lounge in the back when an angry Klingon ship shows up and you keep worrying he can hear your crunchy burrito.

MikeJF posted:

I still think they should've stuck with the conference table on the bridge, it would've been much better in tense situations to call the staff around the table than actually leave the bridge and de-escalate the tension. Could've embedded a big map in it too.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Alternate, comedy answer: a clapped-out old Miranda or Oberth that's always breaking down and should have been scrapped years ago, but is still limping along in active service because so many newer ships got blown up by the Borg and/or Dominion.

:perfect:

Pick posted:

I don't really care about Klingons but yeah they have engineers and according to STO they collaborate with the Gorn for that also.

More than that, Gorn are the "science" race for the Klingon Empire in STO, a la the Vulcans with the UFP.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I disagree entirely on your issues with Tuvok, I thought Tim Russ did incredibly well at depicting a Vulcan who was really pissed off most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ8ePckB1Us

Just workin' some stress out.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Teal'c is like the best source of comedy in Stargate, he is a treat and delight. The super serious logical guy or super serious warrior guy doesn't have to be humourless.

Whalley posted:

Y'all making me wanna watch Stargate with this Teal'c dude

One of my favorite low-key examples, from an episode where the team gets stuck in a Groundhog Day loop (and even specifically reference the movie!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U1jSGib-NA

Koalas Massacre posted:

I loving love that episode!!

Your gif leaves out his little smile afterwards.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, I think the ENT actors were all trying their best unlike some of the VOY cast. I mean a couple of them just didn't have the chops really, but it wasn't lack of effort.

They were written just so badly and so blandly that it only makes sense that most of the VOY cast just gradually tuned out. Seven seasons and they never even actually decided what tribe Chakotay was from!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Geekboy posted:

Tuvok = Janet
Neelix = Bad Janet?

I can't quite bring myself to say Kim = Jason because he really shouldn't be, but he kind of is.

Kim as Jason would have been pretty rad, actually. Give him a dose of protagonist luck and you have a reason for the inexplicably successful doofus to be stuck as an ensign forever without ever just getting kicked out of Starfleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Picard Show will be live broadcasts entirely on a theatre stage. Black boxes for chairs and consoles, with stagehands in black morph suits moving them between scenes. Black cyclorama for the sets. Stewart will be in jeans and a t-shirt, and still on-book. Unshaven. Hungover.

And Sir Ian McKellan just always hanging out, referring to him only as Patrick.

That sounds pretty great.