Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Axe-man posted:

Captain Janeway has really warmed to her role now that all the people who were kids during her tenure look fondly on old star trek, I remember right after the show she being so bitter how badly her character was written, everyone on voyager hated everything.

It is a shame that's all still true, but Evil Janeway is at least funny and endearing. (to me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

raverrn posted:

I've always thought Insurrection was the best TNG movie. It's not *good* and something something space bazooka, but at least it's TNG.

It's a bad two parter, but a bad two parter is way better than the other TNG films. And then after that the only other Trek film that felt like Trek was Beyond which no one saw because Into Darkness was a trainwreck and somehow worse than the bad TNG films.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

There's also the fact that like All Good Things the perfect ending for the original crew already exists. "Second star to the right, and straight on til morning."

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 3, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Axe-man posted:

how about 200 romulan ships (that are all almost exactly the same)

drat Mogai ruining Romulan ship design just like the Sovereign ruined Federation. :argh: Take inspiration from the D'dex drat it!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Timby posted:

That's one of the more ham-fisted things in Unification II, an episode which is full of ham-fisted stuff. I think the idea was to suggest that Vulcan is so pacifist and unarmed that it could be conquered with a Trojan horse of 6,000 troops, but it's an idea that really falls to pieces when you think about it for more than a few seconds.

Hell there's also the fact that Vulcans are physically stronger than Romulans and have psychic powers, which are pretty big x factors when it comes to I don't know, defending your homeworld.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why I love the Romulan designs from Star Trek: Armada, they’re all unique and creative have clear design lineage to the D’Deridex, and they pre-dated the Valdore by like two years so they weren’t ruined by John Eaves going into God Mode with his design work.

STO has a few good ones too. While it's mostly misses the Aelahl, Laeosa, and Ra'nodaire look pretty good.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Those nacelles really remind me of the Dominion cruisers.

Now that you point it out, I can't unsee it.

MikeJF posted:

I like my lil Ar'kif. A cool small size warbird.

They also did their best to redeem the scimitar but, y'know, there are limits.

The Ar'kif is solid, it gets away what I consider a sin of most of their larger ships, where the nose is just decorative and doesn't have lights all around it. That's what makes the D'dex and ones I linked stand out and feel Romulan to me. And yes the Scimitar is an abomination that's just not possible to salvage and I hate that they made it the Republic flagship.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

happyhippy posted:

If Romulans are so smart how come the smartest of the smart of them couldn't see a glowing red WMD on the table right in front of them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhFkkNn7CdU

Have you seen how our senate acts? The smartest Romulans are miles away from that building.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Star Trek V is pretty drat weak as a film, though it has some hilarious lines and memeable stuff in it. But otherwise all other TOS movies are worth watching and range from decent to amazing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ramadu posted:

Yeah but what if spock had a sister? I bet that would be a cool thing to explore and you could get at least 3 seasons out of that

Okay I like where you're going, but what if she was completely unlikable but we still made every character kiss the ground she walked on?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Disco is really dumb, but I hate Picard more for ruining both the Federation and the Romulans.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

happyhippy posted:

That wasn't Picard. It was fan wankery cosplay, just with some of the actors.
Best part of Picard is when you realize all his running parts are cut in a way that it makes it look like he can keep up with others a third his age.

I got a good laugh out of them killing and then resurrecting Picard. But it wasn't to recast him as a younger actor so he could actually make the action he wanted to believable, you know maybe give Tom Hardy a call, it was just so that he didn't die but they kept him as he is, frail old man, who will even still die at the time he 'supposed to' (and don't even think about how that has hosed up implications). Like imagine actually being Picard and waking up after dying and you're still an old gently caress but also a robot and they didn't make you younger or give you your hair back.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Picard 'died' when he tossed aside the priceless archaeology item that he was gifted in TNG during Generations.

12 seconds in to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHSX9e1TadA

the Kerlin Nescar!!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Just stick to RLM. And I absolutely agree with his challenge at the end of the Picard review. Make Picard gay drat it! Or any main character. For all it's progressive ideals LGBT themes are always where Trek has stumbled. Like at least the newer stuff has them, but these days you get no points unless it's the main character.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Apparently Saavik was meant to be half-Romulan, too, but that also got dropped.

And she was meant to be the rando bridge officer stood next to Cpt. Frasier in Cause & Effect, but Kirstie Alley wanted more money than they could afford.

Honestly I'm amazed nobody decided to pick up on the hinted Saavik and David relationship in Search for Spock and said she was pregnant with his kid. But that might be a bit too fanficy.

I could totally see that. And it felt like they were in some kind of relationship. Also I know she was originally meant to be Valeris but they couldn't even get her second actress back for that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eighties ZomCom posted:

There's also Profit and Lace, which among other things had someone come around to the idea of being forced to perform sexual favours on her boss.

That episode has to win the crown for grossest in the whole series. Just an entire episode of that and transphobic humor.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Axe-man posted:

Isn't Janeway's Law: Stop being attracted to anyone, and then yelling at random bums for being inconsiderate to you, before genociding a race?

Look I appreciate they made Seven bi, but really she should've been married to Janeway if they wanted it to mean anything.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I am sad about Picard season 2 happening. I hope it ends up being canceled.

I hope they film just one episode, and it has Q show up, having watched the entire show, say this is loving terrible, and snap, it's just the ending to All Good Things. Q winks at the audience and bows. The End.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I would accept this too. I just want Picard as a character to loving die already. The TNG cast is forever ruined.

It's pretty amazing how much Patrick Stewart has torpedo'd Picard as a character. You'd figure if he hated him that much he'd just do what Harrison Ford did and demand he be killed (permanently)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Wasn't the original Romulan BoP also meant to be a Federation ship originally? (Hence the familiar saucer and nacelles)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The notion that they would need a special fleet to evacuate people is ridiculous when that is a major purpose of the Galaxy class at the very least. It's an immense, mostly empty ship that can take on tons of people. Never mind that the Romulans should have their own ships to take part in this.

And there's the stupidity of some secret Romulan spy agency causing that to kill millions on their own homeworld which is some major :psyduck:.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

Good writers would have used the Soliton Wave to destroy Romulus instead of some kind of Supernova that moves faster than warp speed for reasons.

But then how did they evacuate people at all? :psyduck:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

That was technically holographic bullets. So it was still a directed energy weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTL1upt_Vak

I mean if Data is concerned by one arrow I imagine bullets would do some damage.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

But that episode with the giant bacteria clearly shows that you are still conscious during transport. So when does it kill you?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Axe-man posted:

honestly the spore drive felt like a bunch of people who didn't know science at all threw darts at popular science memes.

"Water Bears" "Parallel Dimensions" "Massive Fungus" "Sentient Fungus"

Like, it took some creativity to tie it all together, but still it is really kind of a off the wall idea, it feels silly in comparison to the drives that were also in Star Trek shows that involved living things.

Isn't the spore drive the one thing that's actually kinda plausible based off new science? I remember reading that by using fungal networks we've been able to generate more accurate maps of the universe.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Payndz posted:

I watched 'The Thaw', which I realised I wasn't actually sure if I'd ever seen (pre-Seven Voyager blends together somewhat). Turned out to be a good ep, but the ending would have been so much more powerful if it had been Janeway herself rather than a hologram copy - use some technobabble about her using a neural link to control it or whatever. Having your hero terrify the embodiment of fear itself and end with "I'm afraid..."/"I know" would have been incredibly badass.

I mean I thought it was just a projection of her so essentially it was. And also just more evidence that Janeway is evil.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

She became an Admiral of course she's evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0lZytCblEE

This is canon in my heart. Because remember, Janeway is not just an admiral, but one of the highest ranking admirals they've shown.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

The Excelsior is gorgeous, and I'm always glad to see it onscreen. Scotty was just an out-of-touch luddite. :colbert:

This. Anyone who hates on the best design in Trek is a lunatic who cannot appreciate proper art deco.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/magliojen/status/1303526246857531393

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

And then he made Battlestar Galactica as a gently caress you to Voyager's wasted potential and Rick Berman's dickheaded mismanagement of it and wound up ruining it himself and squandering its potential through mismanagement because all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again...

Was it mismanagement? I never really looked up what went wrong with s3 and 4, but at least from viewing it, it was just the story they wanted to tell for those seasons was horrible and counter to the first two.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Janeway's movies would take over after Nemesis. She would be upset that Picard actually survived and destroyed the Scimitar, so she has to destroy Earth herself, before launching her conquest of the Alpha Quadrant.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m watching s1 of TNG and I swear they mention the saucer separation more than all the other seasons combined

We paid for this loving effect, by god are we going to shove it into loving everything.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also the fact that the drive section looks ridiculous without the saucer. Like it's a neat idea in theory but in practice, just looks silly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The Flyer, the Enterprise-E, Discovery, the JJPrise all dumped their cores. Really, I think it was just that the Galaxy Class had a flawed ejection system that eventually cost them the Enterprise-D.

They should've just made the Battle Bridge almost identical to the main bridge bridge but with a few easily-swapped out cosmetic differences.

Yeah the Battle Bridge being smaller and just worse never made sense to me. If it's where you decide the fate of the ship on, it should be top of the line....never made the question of why is there a battle bridge why isn't the normal bridge...just the battle bridge?

Also the Enterprise-D was lost because of command incompetence. Worf didn't remember how to rotate shields and Riker should've just given orders for them to open fire they'd blow away that Klingon bird of prey shields or not shields. :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The Thaw stands out from that crowd, however. Largely but not entirely on the strength of its guest star.

Also because Janeway makes the avatar of fear afraid of her and that's just peak Janeway.

"I know."

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean it is horrible to think about but yeah, what if your horrible boss never dies? What if your terrible racist congressmen never has to retire? What if sexist guys don't die off and it's still the prevailing attitude? Sadly generational change is a thing and it's mostly been a good thing. How do you have immortality and not have a world that's divided by Musk, Gates, Zucc, and so on?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Khanstant posted:

OK but Trek skips the human elements of technology and replaces it with some sweet ideals version and all the evil bad stuff is actually only good stuff and only good, nice, people will use the technology in good, positive, ways. Well then we can look at The Good Place Season at the problem with immortality + utopia + unlimited resources, although in Trek there's much more room for things to go wrong and evil or hurtful.

How did the Good Place handle it having never seen the show?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, the most popular and influential voice on YouTube right now talking about Star Trek is a chud who presents himself as a fascist dictator and hates women and people of colour openly on his main account and has a literal Wolfenstein SS-cosplaying white supremacist alt-account on BitChute, so yeah no Trek has the exact same groady underbelly to its fandom as Star Wars does too.

:catstare: who is this so I can watch out for them?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

A guy named Doomcock, seen here in his normal unrinal masked main attire on the left, and his alleged Actual Nazi alt persona on the right:

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

jeeves posted:

It’s really amazing how JJ ruined both Trek and Star Wars so quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYT8YHL-R0