Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I read every page of this thread since the post about the original try-outs list for TNG roles and not a single one was about the spelling of "Ryker"?

The_Doctor posted:

Patrick Bauchau, an actual Belgian actor would have been interesting. Jenny Agutter as Crusher could have been fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

the one where they resolve the issue by loving killing everyone with phasers?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKCtqoDPUBo&t=18s

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I always liked Move Along Home, even back in the day.
It's silly and ridiculous. I like seeing otherwise serious people have to contend with that sort of thing.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

FlamingLiberal posted:

Even at the end of the latest season of Disco they still don’t explain how we go from basically everyone knowing what S31 is and them even having their own ships, to them being completely underground by DS9.

I felt like it was implied that Control basically assimilated all of the Section 31 ships before it was destroyed.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Powered Descent posted:

Harry Kim (twice; first time revived by Doctor and second time replaced by a duplicate and no one even cared lol)

They had some potential to play with this idea and have him be bothered by it at least and come to terms with it.
If only Voyager wasn't the unflavored oatmeal series of Star Trek.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
efb

Admiralty Flag posted:

Counterpoint, 3 words: Riker's ascending joystick

I thought that was in Insurrection. At least, that's the scene my mind goes to every time I think of it.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:stare:

e: oh yeah it was the trailer for Gemini Man which looks pretty dumb but features a terrifyingly realistic Fresh Prince-era Will Smith:

I saw a preview for this when we saw Avengers recently and it broke my brain.
The person I went with thought they must have found someone that looked similar to him. I assumed it was either de-aging or straight up cgi though.
Star Wars did it and technology always improves over time so you know we'll be seeing this a lot now.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wish they'd switch Yeoh back into Georgiou. Finagle some kind of a time-travel device where the emperor switches places with Georgiou in the past right before she died or something.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Automatic Slim posted:

Star Trek: Picard Maneuvers

Isn't he a little old to be doing the Picard Maneuver?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Astroman posted:

"We have to build the engines on a separate section, away from the primary hull, for radiation safety"'

*puts them on pylons so they are on the same level as the primary hull, but just a few feet back*

:downs:

They must've figured out a fix, or the Defiant's crew is going to have warp cancer when they get older.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Thanks! I hate it!

Why does every show have to have such vague weighty nothings of monologues?

It reminds me of an anime character saying "Is it true? Could it possibly be... that he was that person? The person who found elysium and drew that blade? The blade of legend? He drew that blade at a terrible price?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrfTLNUsqRc

He could have been leading the effort to rescue the Romulans but then their star exploded and he's the one responsible for Spock's death. Not really knowing that Spock went back in time and lived in an alternate timeline.

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 23, 2019

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ah gently caress, the destruction of Romulus is canon now isn't it

It'd be hilarious if they went "nah we're cancelling JJ Trek as canon even as an alternate universe"

Just say it's an alternate timeline from an alternate timeline where they failed to save Romulus.

Actually, I think they should keep the destruction of Romulus because its interesting.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I assume that's what the Federation credits are, just not created and generated by some shady person that's probably expecting to live handsomely off of it for the rest of his/her life.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

They could've easily done this with the EMH on Voyager.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Gonz posted:

Yeah, but that was a streak of grey hair.

Data never aged 20 years and put on 100 lbs.

eh, give him a pass through the Snapchat babyface filter and ship it.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1137755266919948288

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hate the Excelsior, with its ugly nacelles and stupid slack-jawed deflector. It looks like a whale opening it’s gaping maw to fish for krill.

It's a majestic creature.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Angry_Ed posted:

One of the many Mirror Universe novels had Picard discover that in the mirror universe, there was no World War III, which made him posit that the lack of a cataclysm on that scale prevented humanity from becoming not douchebags.

TV however has more or less decided that the Terran Empire is basically the Roman Empire IN SPACE with a nebulous chronology that either means it's always been the Roman Empire or it was just heavily inspired by it.

Well poo poo, I guess that means we're in the darkest timeline unless we bomb ourselves to poo poo sometime in the next 4 decades.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

EimiYoshikawa posted:

She was one and a half (and that half is debatable) in the first season.
Source? Memory-alpha has her at 2 at the beginning of Voyager which puts her in her 20s in human years.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Orv posted:

The not-so-secret part of why this is the best TNG edit. You in particular might not want to watch it just yet but it's not a huge deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPQKjuCqM0

huh, so that's where that gif came from...

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Astroman posted:

Getting from the saucer section to the engineering hull is the secondmost underappreciated accomplishment one can make in their Starfleet career.

The only way I can figure out how to get from one hull to the other in the Oberth is if the turbolifts are Willy Wonka style and fly through the space between.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
^^^EDIT: That's a cool video.

I think it's well established that the turbolift cars can move vertically and horizontally, which I guess is like the Willy Wonka elevator but I was referring to the end of that movie/book where it flies out of its rails into the sky. It's possible that the ones on the Oberth can fly out of the main hull straight to the engineering hull.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Powered Descent posted:

It's always hilarious when the ship starts maneuvering while a turbolift is making the "jump" between sections, and instead of sliding neatly into the receptacle on the other section, they go SPLAT into a million pieces a few meters to one side.

I'm imagining each one has thrusters and or some system to compensate for that sort of thing. Though it is hilarious to consider if it just shoots it out one side and then receives it on the other.

What if you could step into a turbolift on one bridge and request it deliver you to the bridge of another nearby compatible ship directly?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

The Bloop posted:

It worked fine in well over 99% of simulations

What could go wrong

Great, we can slap a "More reliable than transporters" sticker on the thing.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Aww, he has a new Number 1.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

The Bloop posted:

Such diverse roles as Asian Wife and

lol
Soon-Lee Klinger: Korean
Keiko O'Brien: Japanese
Mulan's Mom: Chinese

Hold on now. Soon-Lee is Keiko?
My mind is blown.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

I really want Riker to be in command of a Galaxy Class ship in Picard and then saves the day by charging in and rescuing them at some point and we have nostalgia-cam where they step onto the bridge and soft music plays as we pan around an upgraded bridge set and everything

I want this but it should be an old piece of poo poo one since it's been a long time since those came out.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
There's a lot of it that is like unflavored oatmeal, especially in the beginning. I like Voyager, especially specific episodes, but there's a lot of chaff to get through. It was begging to be a serial show and was held back by the apparently absolute requirement that it stay episodic. Not to mention some of the bad ideas they ran with. Also I think once or twice in the last season or two they did a "Previously on Voyager" bit for stuff that was never actually on Voyager. Either that or I missed an episode somewhere and my bad memory has made me think that.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I mean, it definitely could have been an interesting thing, this race that somehow has shooty spaceships, but so little understanding of science that they don't get how easy it is to get more or less unlimited water from hydrogen, which should be fairly easy with their level of technology. Which then leads to the revelation later on that their entire peoples had been a slave race to the people who built the ships they now use, having risen up against their oppressors and overthrown them, seizing their technology for themselves, but more or less piloting them by rote learning and borderline cargo-cult understanding of what's now their own tech without understanding any of the underlying fundamental principles, which also means said technology is breaking down and deteriorating faster than it should be, because they can't really fix anything serious, which is, obviously, a huge threat to the well-being of their people as a result. Thus giving Voyager an in on a diplomatic angle and possible peace with what they had thought to just be savage thugs.

It being Voyager, of course, it actually turned out like frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttt.

We look for things to make us go.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
The disassembled one looks like there's some damage on the back. Not to mention the weird thing with part of an arm being attached that someone else mentioned.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

jeeves posted:

Isn't there like hours and hours of old footage of Data they could have just like digitally rotoscop'd into whatever they needed?

Of course it's easier just to get the actor back but whatever.

I find it laff that this is a franchise that recasts like crazy now ( :spock: ) but then is going to great lengths to do fan service for this series... oh wait they've blown all of their good will on Discovery so fan service is all they have left.

It's 2019.

They could've just deepfaked him.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The official store has some real gems:

That coffee mug speaks to me.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

SlothfulCobra posted:

The last 4 Star Trek shows were named after the vessel that the crew rode around in, so I think Patrick Stewart is going to be giving a lot of piggyback rides.

God, really? I only knew about AfterMash and a couple early computer commercials.

Trapper John M.D. was the name of one of them.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I had heard of this before but never checked it out. At first I was like "yay more TNG!" but ugh even with DeLancie it's loving terrible. Even DeLancie himself is hardly turning in his best performance. I lasted 10 minutes.

Eh, it's a full motion video game from the late 90s. It wasn't bad for the time. I didn't know anyone edited it into a movie though. I'm going to have to watch this later.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I hated how Voyager handled the getting home part of the show so much. Early on every other episode has some crackpot way of getting home that never works because that would break the entire premise. You know that going in, so there's no tension. Then when they finally do get home, they end it without showing any postscripts for resolution. The beginning kills off half the crew, but who cares because you don't get to know them anyways.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

A lot of those anomalies lead to warp drive enhancements or a better understanding of space time, to the point where statistically maybe they actually are better off stopping to investigate.

But think about it this way: Its an 80 year trip. If they stop for a day or so 20 times a year they've added 10 years to their trip. 80 or 90 years, It doesn't matter, they are effectively a generational ship regardless. They need to feel like there is an actual purpose to their lives. The work they are doing is actually incredibly valuable to the federation and Starfleet and valuable to exploration. Without those stops they'd live meaningless lives and all go insane. I think Janeway is right to continue the ship's general mission of exploration.

I really wish they hadn't stuck to the whole roughly 1 season = 1 year thing. They could have skipped between seasons or subtly over the course of a season. People should've been looking a little old by season 5 or so. The ship should've looked a little old and beat up, like someone still driving a car they bought 30 years ago. We could've had Janeway saying poo poo like "I'm getting too old for this" and someone's kids could've been promoted over Ensign Kim.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, a microscopic singularity like that is really just a point of constant energy output. The masses starships would be working with would be so small to work as an energy source that you could fly right through it and it wouldn't leave a hole; less than half a million tons or so, with an event horizon far smaller than the radius of an atom. (Remember, you need tiny mass for appreciable energy radiated, large black holes don't emit much). An antimatter explosive, on the other hand, can release all its energy at once instead.

Anything big enough to make an actual gravitational field that could pose a threat probably couldn't be contained or cloaked or driven around.

So Romulan's warp engines are green because they're using green energy then.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
ST Voyager: Stun particles.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Lester Shy posted:

:agreed:

I rewatched First Contact last night and... ugh. Horny Data is the worst thing I've ever seen.

I rewatched Nemesis when my wife was around. She's not a trek fan at all. The scene where Troi gets psychically raped while her and Riker are trying to get it on was gratuitous and embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wish when Voyager got to the Borg it was just a bunch of destroyed cubes and somewhat mysterious. Maybe get Seven by rescuing her from the shredded remains of one and then keep on trucking. Maybe have an encounter or two with Species 8472 later on that reveals they were responsible but not much else.