Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Tighclops posted:

Michael Bay made Transformers movies where the Autobots are as much villains as the Decepticons, no he wouldn't make a good star trek

I'm sure I'll be thoroughly disappointed but I have a tiny sliver of hope for the Bubblebee move where everyone is not an rear end in a top hat.

But I'm sure Paramount will see that does not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I see you turned the lights on.

That's half the problem with all the Discovery sets. How can anyone get any work done with the lights off?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

If this can get us halfway to a 50 years later show with a new crew I'm on board. I'm just glad its not a drat prequel.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They should go back to the 'pearlescent' paint job of the TMP Enterprise now that it's all CGI and you don't have to worry about reflective paint loving up the blue-screen compositing.

Agreed. When the Enterprise showed up at the end of Discovery it should have been all iridescent and shiny and not the Eaves murderknife refit.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Timby posted:

I will say that, as much as I adore "All Good Things..." I really hate the future timeline uniforms. Holy loving ugh.

I think its the old person high waisted pants.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

I love imagining most of humanity on Earth wearing diaphonous robes, gathered in sunny fields together and eating fruits and making love. Whenever anyone approaches them about anything, they spend hours trying to get them undressed. "We just want you to vote on a policy bill about enforcement of the Klingon neutral zone," says the representative, unnerved. Moon-like eyes look back on them, comprehending but disinterested. "It will mean an allocation of materials--"

"Is this for the good of the Universe, sibling human?"

"Yeah. Yeah, definitely."

Everyone gathers to kiss the offered PADD, then skips off to dance by the shore.

That's pretty much what the non Starfleet citizens were supposed to be in the novelization of TMP. It was one of Gene's whacked out ideas that was rightfully cut out of the movie.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

We tried Captain, but someone's locking us out from the bridge. Some kind of subsystem encryption lock. I'm trying an access reroute through the secondary relay manifold but so far I'm having no luck; it seems to be adapting to everything I try, like it's some kind of multiphasic algorithm subroutine. Some kind of.

Harry Kim sure was useless.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

MikeJF posted:

I know, it's just my general lack of trust in the new show combined with it being an easy topic to gently caress up. I should give them another chance, I suppose.

I'll probably give them another chance to do it right but I don't have much faith in Kurtzman and company. Too bad we'll never get another Civil Defense.

But gently caress paying 10 bucks a month for those 10 minutes episodes.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What, they're putting the short Treks up behind the All Access Paywall? gently caress that.

Yup. And so far Netflix has declined to stream them and stick to Discovery only for now.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

HD DAD posted:

I wonder if the writers room for Voyager kept tabs on DS9 and got really self conscious.

VOY staff: poo poo, did you guys see that 10 part finale for DS9? We gotta bring our A-game.

Also VOY staff: lets hire the rock to wrestle 7 of 9

Yeah from my understanding its not that the writers were incompetent or anything, they just didn't care.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Paramount desperately want a Marvel or DC juggernaut of a shared universe but it's just not going to happen. Transformers crapped out after The Last Knight and I have no idea how the new one is doing. Universal tried too but that was an even bigger failure with their Dark Universe poo poo.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Picard show, the Lower Decks cartoon, and Section 31 show. The first two could be good, I have no hope for the third.

Don't forget about the Khan prequel.

I seriously don't get the point of a Star Trek kids show. I grew up watching first run TNG and reruns of TOS and was easy enough to follow along.

Evek fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 14, 2019

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

There's less movement on it but its one of many possible series in development. It'll either be pre-Botany Bay on earth or post Space Seed on Ceti Alpha V. Nick Meyer is running it for now.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

That would just be a rehash of the Organians showing up in Enterprise. I'm still waiting for the Borg shoe to drop.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

This document is without honor! Would you like to use a template ptagh!?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

No more Spocks. We have Too Many Spocks now.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

No wonder Lore turned out evil, he's got a left-handed (or "sinister") phase emitter.

Also it means Data is faster.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

For the longest time it was the only Star Trek movie that AMC would run. Guess it was the cheapest to license and fill blank spaces in the schedule.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You forgot the part where Data and Geordi fix up an old weather control system! :v:

And Groundskeeper Willie.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Jesus you want them to right a third draft of the pilot of a Star Trek show to make the premise believable and good? What are they made of writers?

Just find/replace all the drat farm scenes.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

I'm pretty sure Cetacean Ops is where the dolphin crewmembers live.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

The Dominion capital ships not firing really stands out in HD and me watching it 20 times in a row.

Hitting it so hard that they shove it sideways is great. I don't think that ever happens elsewhere.

Thats probably the one time they showed on screen how truly powerful Galaxy class ships are aside from all the tech manual writing. If they were to do a reboot of TNG it should be on a different Galaxy class with a new crew. Set it in the early 25th Century after the Picard show. Just handwave how different it looks with there being multiple refits over the years.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

mythicknight posted:

I should rewatch Andromeda.

Ugh. I tried that a few months ago and I only made it as far as the third episode. It was full of annoying kids and its does not hold up in the slightest.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Judging by what we've seen of Ferengi capitalism, 21st century capitalists would obliterate the Ferengi.

(Then again, maybe that's why the Ferengi are the major capitalists left; they're the only ones bad enough at it to keep it up in a modern era without either driving themselves to extinction or being lined up against the wall and shot during the revolution)

In one of the books the unfrozen Wall Street Guy becomes the Ambassador to Ferenginar. Must have been a nightmare for him when Rom reformed everything.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Delsaber posted:

Always nice to see the dead assassin guy from Lexx getting work.

The dead do not work.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Doggles posted:

Post your favorite Chakotay quotes ITT.

"A-koo-chee-moya"

That is all.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Timby posted:

Star Trek was far from the only television series to take a serious post-9/11 shift.

24 is the most hilarious one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Payndz posted:

Millions and millions of dollars being spent, but god forbid they shell out a couple of hundred for a costume that fits the actor.

The uniform swap coming partway through the film was a :psyduck: moment even when I saw it the first time. Some of the crew, but only some of them, randomly decide to change outfits in the middle of a tense situation. Why not do it at the start? Why do it at all? Moichendising! Where the real money is!

They spent a buttload of money on updated uniforms but tossed it at the last second. That's why it was a mix of old and hand me downs.