Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
In All Stars Racing, Sonic needs to drive because it would be unfair if he ran. In this, tho, aren't there likely to be more characters with super speed than without?

They should have made Sonic R 2 if they were gonna drop the other Sega characters.

(Probably still getting it when it goes on sale, the All Stars Racing games were awesome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

He wasn't playable but he did appear in Generations, Forces and the DS version of Colors.

Silver and Blaze in Colors DS were great.
Silver? He's just there to check out the best amusement park in history. Yes, he time traveled for that. No, it doesn't have anything to do with future shenanigans.

Blaze? She was summoned here by the Sol Emeralds. It must be important! But Sonic's here, he's got it, she's just gonna ride some rides and hang out with Silver.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
The best Zeti by far is Zor. He is like if they reached deep into my subconscious, pulled out the Trollsona I didn't even know I had, knocked nine letters off of his name and put him in Sonic.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a dollar-store 3D Sonic clone coming to Steam in a couple weeks, it even has dollar-store Crush 40:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1sIGMnV4_o

gently caress I hope this is good. It looks good.
You know, I think this is the first 3D Sonic Clone I've ever actually seen?

And I could really go for one.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Forget Silver, why do so many of you seem to unironically like Shadow

I feel like I'm being gaslit here

He was a decent villain in SA2, and then eventually he edged so hard he went over the edge and wrapped back around to ironic edge with everyone but him in on the joke.
It also makes his non-edgy moments super endearing.

Also, and you can honestly probably put this in for any character you don't know why people like:
He's loving great in the comics.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Also good his explanation of why he has a motorcycle despite being as fast as Sonic

Yes. Yes it is.
Man that was a fun arc.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I used to not care for it, because Rouge was outright willing to doom a whole other world, but then I recalled she was more outright villainous in pre-boot Archie

Still, that was one thing I wasn't sad to see go

Huh. I must have forgotten that bit because of Blaze guilt tripping Shadow, Omega's interactions with everyone, Amy actually getting to do something, and Nack, Bark, and Bean showing up.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

We already have like a half dozen evil edgy Sonics.

The difference is that Scourge actually acts and talks like evil Sonic, as opposed to being an evil (or morally ambiguous) guy with super speed who has an entirely different personality from Sonic.

And given that Sonic is already kind of an arrogant dick, it works really loving well.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Having widescreen is such a huge improvement to Sonic that I can’t go back.

Sonic 1’s special stages aren’t great but I can consistently complete them all. 2’s always give me trouble and require memorization.

It's not quite an official release, but Angel Island Revisted is a widescreen port of Sonic 3 and Knuckles music options and stuff. It requires the ROM from the Steam version to play.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Katsuma posted:

I unironically like this part, because I spent my formative years reading Archie's Sonic comics and am now a broken human being. Dumb furry melodrama is my jam.

I skipped the story in 1 but I kinda liked that trailer.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

The other one does too, in the form of a few stage mods for Sonic World.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRYiu_zSQtU

Sonic completely breaks Mario stages especially with bounce, and Tails breaks them even moreso, but it'd still be great to see more.

(Also Sonic World is a really loving good fangame and what it lacks in polish it makes up for in sheer amount of content, play it)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Sonic fans can't seem to decide what Sonic games they want, so I'm sure Sonic Team struggles to even consider what direction to take things in.

What do people want more? Adventure 3? A Rush successor? Mania 2? Sonic and the Black Knight sequel? Chao Garden Mobile Game? There's a huge number of people who unironically Big the Cat fishing. It's tough.

Yes to all.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

The prototype Carnival isn't half bad - and I feel like I've been seeing people refer to MJ Carnival Night as "clown music" in a derogatory fashion? So I kinda believe it.

What are the levels with alt. tracks? Carnival, Ice Cap and Launch Base? I don't remember the rest of the prototype tracks feeling too far off from their final vibe. Maybe a pass could help, but they did stick those prototype tracks into PC, so it's not like there was anything missing? Unless putting them into the PC version in their existing state was a purely desperation move. Also, while Hard Times is excellent, having a re-listen the prototype Ice Cap isn't half bad. I think Launch Base prototype might be the weakest?

It's probably just a lot of just what I grew up with, but listening to proto Launch Base, it just doesn't feel like it sits beside something like Hydrocity?

e: Like, I generally have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to music, but it really almost feels like the style between the prototype unique tracks just feels totally different then the style of everything else?

It sounds like clown music.
In a good way.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Has anyone messed with the mods for Generations on PC? People added a shitload of levels from other games, but I'm not sure if they're worth it, or even if they run well at all.

Yes. Once you install the mod manager loading up levels is easy enough to just try anything interesting, and a lot of it is at least good for one run.

Off the top of my head right before bed, The Unleashed Project is literally just the good parts of PS360 Unleashed, all of the Colors ports are good but might have some performance issues, Water Palace is loving beautiful, and Metal Harbor is Metal Harbor with some cool additions.

The Adventure Pack is kind of worth loading up just for a linear stage take on SA1 Mystic Ruins even if it isn't actually great, Eggmanland is loving horrible in a way that feels authentic, and Rainbow Road is just hilariously ill suited for Modern Sonic. None of these are GOOD, really, but they're interesting.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kurieg posted:

IIRC the evil panda in charge of the dimension where chaos emeralds are from consolidated them down to 7 to make his job easier.

Kinda. The emeralds weren't from that dimension, they were beryl that got irradiated by aliens. Early in Flynn's run, Turbo Tails and Super Shadow sent every emerald in the universe to that dimension after Tommy Turtle got taken over by nanomachines and built a machine to summon them. While they were doing this, Sonic was mercy killing Tommy.

This, this arc accomplished three of Flynn's big early cleanup goals: It gave a non-Titan Tails ending to the Chosen One thing, switched to seven emeralds like the games, and, most importantly, it killed Tommy Turtle.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Fawf posted:

Finished Big's Big World in about 2 hours. If nothing else it's something I can recommend downloading blind and poking around for a half hour or so before looking anything up, it's very fun stumbling on one oddball Sonic reference after the other.

This is a bit of a spoiler for something to make traversal 1000x better, peek at your own peril

The chaos emerald located at Little Planet lets you walk up sheer walls, you can grab this pretty much as soon as the game starts

Very fun, aside from the trouble getting VSync to work, and the couple hours spent looking for the last emerald when it was somewhere I already looked. And that Big the Cat plays like Big The Cat, although the Emerald I missed would have definitely helped with that. Spoilers on that one, up there with the one mentioned, from what I got messing around with it, after I had everything but Froggy:
The emerald in the ruins from Sonic R lets you boost.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Eggman is a feminist and is happy for Amy going from a damsel in distress to a hero in her own right every bit as capable as Sonic when she shows up.

Happy and loving terrified. He did not need another do gooder foiling his plans.

Good for her, though.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I didn't figure out that barrel until college.

I would just use stage select and do Carnival Night as Knuckles.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Hrist posted:

I think in the early company "bibles" for Sonic, they had something about it being set 2,000 years after some kind of nukes destroyed everything. Which is where anthropomorphic animals like Sonic came from, while Flickies still existed. Radiation just made some animals different. So alot of the settings were just implied to be leftover stuff from when humans were the big population. And that definitely has way more of a charm to it. But I guess the current story makes more sense than Eggman being basically the only human left.

No that's Archie, and it's nowhere near early.

I think the lore dump for this was by aliens, but it might have been the ancient solid gold E-102 Gamma recolor built by Dr. Ivan Kintobor, Robotnik's ancestor who was born on 6/6/2006 and started the alien invasion by disecting their emissary after First Contact.

I had to look up some of those details but man Archie Sonic was WILD Pre-Flynn.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Also to be clear this is Prime Robotnik's ancestor.
Presumably Robo-Robotnik/Robotnik Mark II/Eggman, an alternate universe Robotnik to roboticized himself, then killed his Sonic and the Freedom Fighters, then got bored and nuked his Mobius to oblivion before moving to Mobius Prime to fight a different Sonic, had his own Ivan Robotnik in the past but this was never confirmed.

Also it is called Mobius Prime because it is at the center of the multiverse and is the single most important and real Sonic universe there is out of all Sonic universes.

Zonic The Zone Cop, a multiverse cop version of Sonic who always stands on the sides of panels because he's from a perpendicular universe, said so.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 25, 2022

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

That's a retcon. Shadow is absolutely a hedgehog because being a hedgehog is a prerequisite for becoming ultimate life. Shadow's appearance is a result of Gerald attempting to interpret the Super Sonic vs. Perfect Chaos prophecy mural from the ancient Echidna civilization. The Biolizard is an attempt - and not the only one - at an artificial Chaos.

The events of Sonic Adventure 2 were set in motion by a 50-year effort to force the prophecy that described Sonic Adventure 1 to occur.

I suppose the question is if a bunch of weird science stuff in the shape of a Hedgehog that thinks they're a Hedgehog but does not necessarily contain Hedgehog DNA qualifies as a Hedgehog.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

DIMPS is the Inti Creates of Sonic, with all the pros and cons you think that implies

Amy yes, there should be more Amy whenever possible, but introducing Cream is a point against, not for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSGae-hYAjM

This and her round 2 intro in Sonic Heroes' battle mode justify Cream's existence on their own.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Looper posted:

now that i've finished origins i wanna play some sonic rom hacks and fan games and adjacent material. here's what i've got so far:

-sonic dreams collection
-big's big world
-spark the electric jester trilogy
-sonic robo blast 2 + kart
-freedom planet
-metal sonic rebooted
-s factor
-sonic 2 advanced edit
-mobius evolution
-sonic triple trouble 16 bit
-sonic 3d in 2d
-sonic 1 sms remake
-sonic 2 sms remake

is there anything you all would recommend?

Sonic GT mentioned a few posts above is absolutely incredible, the best translation of the classic games' momentum physics to 3d I have played. Short, too.

Sonic World is possibly the best Adventure style Sonic game, and it has an absolute ton of stages and playable characters, but it has a massive, years in the making update coming in the next couple months so you might want to hold off on it.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Nthing Sonic GT and Sonic World for 3d fangames that are good.

GT plays the best of any 3D Sonic game, but it's also like an hour long.

World plays about like Sonic Adventure, and has a shitload of levels and playable characters. I wouldn't recommend picking it up right now though, they've been working on a new version with a bunch of improvements for years, and it comes out at SAGE soon.

Also, just in general, SAGE, (Sonic Amateur Games Expo), a big yearly fan game expo, tends to have a bunch of 3d stuff that is at least "pretty good" every year. Although honestly it feels like you have to TRY to make anything in the Bumper Engine (what GT uses, playing with momentum is so fun) or the Infinity Engine (a good version of the Boost style) unfun.

I mean I've seen it done, but still.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Since I brought it up before, I would be remiss not to mention that the SAGE 2022 trailer just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrUp7AWKcwA

It's somehow 20 minutes long, like 50% indie games, and like 30% Mega Man or Mega Man inspired this year, but there's a lot of cool Sonic and Sonic inspired stuff here too.

I'd list some besides Sonic World DX and Fetch The Ferret, but I have bad short term memory and that trailer was 20 loving minutes long.

(It's a bit "Old Man Yells At Cloud," but it's kind of annoying how big SAGE is getting and how much of it isn't Sonic or Sonic inspired.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
So, the Sonic Amateur Games Expo has started, and I’ve been playing stuff. Let me preface this with a minor disclaimer:
I like 3D Sonic. There aren’t a lot of games like it, any version of it. Going fast in a 3D environment is fun. Managing that successfully counts for a ton of points. Obviously it’s better if it uses momentum well or has really good stage design or what have you, and I’ll probably mention those if present, but, again, this poo poo is my jam, so I might be a bit easy to please here.

Sonic World DX
This is a really good Sonic Adventure clone with a bunch of characters that all have their own abilities, a bunch of levels, no story, and emblems for structure. If you are familiar with Sonic World R9, this currently has less characters and stages, but what is there plays much better. Mostly. The controls feel smoother, the characters feel more varied, most of the stages feel better put together, and there are variations and extra missions for every stage. Iif you don’t mind losing the novelty of characters like Bark, Bean, Heavy, Bomb, Gun Commander, and The President, it is definitely a good upgrade. It’s even backwards compatible with stage mods, although I haven’t messed with that with the new version yet.

But the performance can be pretty bad, and before manually applying a 4GB patch I got constant crashes. It’s made in an engine from 2004 so to a certain extent this is to be expected, but it’s still an issue. Plus, outside of time trials, rank seems to be based much more on score than on time, which obviously kind of sucks for Sonic The Hedgehog. Still, good game, I’ve been playing Sonic World off and on for years now and will certainly continue to with this version.

Sonic Battle R
This is a less good Adventure-style game, with a multiplayer racing focus that you can ignore by making a private server and not inviting anyone. The open world (from Sonic Adventure 1) feels a bit empty, the controls feel a bit jank, and some stages have random rear end in a top hat things thrown into shortcuts.

But the stage selection. The stage selection is beyond compare. There are 35 stages, including the entirety of Sonic R, most of the Sonic and Shadow stages from Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, some stuff from Heroes, Shadow, and Sonic 06, some stuff from Sonic and Sega All Stars, and even some random stuff from Mario Kart. If you’re actually interested in the multiplayer, or just want to play a bunch of Adventure-style Sonic levels, this is a decent way to do it. (Also even if it’s a bit jank and a bit empty, there is just something about wandering around an open world looking for poo poo that feels great, especially when it’s so amateur.)

Project Rascal
Did you ever play Sonic GT? If you have, this is basically more of that. If you haven’t, I’m gonna explain it a bit, but go play Sonic GT. It is short, and for it’s length it is better than anything else I’m going to talk about, anything else that has been in SAGE, and honestly anything 3D Sonic that Sega has made. It is very fast, but with a heavy emphasis on momentum to attain said speed, it has good level design, and some nice character variation.

Sonic GT, that is. Project Rascal doesn’t have the character creation, and the level design in this demo isn’t as good as in GT or the previous demo, there are some real dick moves in some later parts and there is no scenery. But Rascal is still an absolute joy to control, the first couple stages are still really fun, and while some bits got frustrating later on, I still had a good time. And this was playing time trial–this demo has online multiplayer so if that’s something that appeals to you I can recommend it even more. I hope this isn’t the new direction for the whole game, but even if it is I am still looking forward to it.

Mushroom Kingdom Fusion
You might know about this one, you might not. It probably doesn’t belong in this thread, or in SAGE as originally conceived, but hey, I’ve been playing it a bunch and Sonic and Tails are in it so . . .

Imagine a pretty good Super Mario Bros. 3 fangame. Now add a bunch of non-Mario playable characters, including Sonic, Tails, and (the one I’ve been playing,) Mega Man. That’s this game, there’s also apparently levels that aren’t Mario-based but I haven’t gotten to them, because there’s at least like 30 Mario levels and apparently like 200 total.

It’s pretty good.

That’s it for me talking about SAGE for now, sorry if the post is too long. I’ll definitely look at other stuff later, but I’m gonna play more Mushroom Kingdom Fusion now.

--edit: How did I type all that and forget to do links?

Captain France fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 5, 2022

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Looper posted:

def post more impressions and also please don't feel as though liking sonic needs a disclaimer, the state of this thread isn't that bad i hope

I suppose it's more a warning that I'm willing to deal with more jank than some people might be.

I read people talking about how terrible Heroes and Shadow and Black Knight are, sometimes even saying they're worse than 06, and, I mean, I thought they were fine? Not incredible, and I certainly haven't returned to them as much as the good 3D Sonics or even some of the fangames (I have played so much Sonic World you have no loving idea. Also a bunch of GT, man, I should replay GT again later,) but it's like pizza. You have to gently caress up pretty bad to make 3D Sonic (the Sonic parts at least) not at least fun for the first playthrough, at least to me. (Not that it hasn't been done.)

I don't know why I don't feel the same way about 2D Sonic, gently caress, age-wise that whole style of game should probably even have more nostalgia going for me, but 2D Sonic has to be really good to actually get me excited. Actually maybe the nostalgia age is part of it--with 3D Sonic it's always "yes give me more let me see this new thing," but with 2D Sonic it's like "I could just play Sonic 3 & Knuckles again, or maybe 2 or Mania."

By the way I didn't mention this with that SAGE stuff and the whole thread was talking about it not too far back but Sonic Triple Trouble 16 Bit is loving great. There is no reason they had to go that hard with their version of Metal Sonic's theme, but I am glad that they did.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

imo Unleashed is much meaner. It has literal laugh-at-you-for-using-them trap springs!

Eggmanland WiiS2 used to be the worst 3D Sonic level I had ever played.

Then someone ported Eggmanland PS360 into Unleashed.

I suppose it's possible that it was a bad port, but I assume it was a good port of the worst level ever.

Wait second worst if you include fangames, I forgot Worst Cave. Sonic World DX tip: If you like marathon mode, pick a stage you don't like. Skip that stage's encore. Clearing all encores unlocks Worst Cave, a terrible Mach Speed level I assume they left in as some kind of joke, that once took me from at least 30 lives through multiple game overs.

Really all of the Mach Speed stages are pretty bad, but there aren't many and you primarily pick stages via level select anyway. Oh hey but the origin of that level type is from 06.

06 is probably meaner if only for inventing those, but holy poo poo, Unleashed comes close JUST from Eggmanland alone.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Augus posted:

I tried a bit of Sonic World. It’s alright but pretty jank. It has that classic “if you approach this scripted sequence in an even slightly different way than the developer predicted the whole thing breaks” problem in spades. Also the controls feel pretty awkward since they’re seemingly trying to be both adventure style and unleashed style at the same time. also the camera is zoomed really close and there’s no way to change it.

oh yeah and shadow feels a lot worse to play as than Sonic, which is unforgivable

Idunno about the camera, I never had problems with it besides the scripted bits that take control of the camera and can break and keep it locked a while, which, that sucks, yeah, fair. But Emerald Coast is somehow the worst about broken scripts, and I don't know why, it didn't used to be. It also didn't used to be the first level on the level select. It is loving bizarre to me that they would somehow both gently caress up Emerald Coast AND decide to put their worst foot forward like that.

Well, second worst. There's also Worst Cave. Which is this.
Although I'm sure if I had Marathonned into it with a character with bounce and double jump instead of a random selection that I remember did not have that, I probably would not have died over 30 times.

I do not know how much, if any, Worst Cave has been improved in the new version, because I have not unlocked it, and as a fan of "play random stages in random order with random teams of characters" Marathon Mode, I will not be unlocking it, I think.

--edit: Man that song is strangely catchy though.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Fred is on posted:

To add to the ones people already said, there's also a full-on Rathalos battle and mount in FFXIV.

And a Behemoth in Monster Hunter World, with an MMO-style aggro system and a set of Dragoon armor.

Also, more Sonic relevant, Monster Hunter Rise has a mission where you collect rings while Cirt Escape plays that you can use to get a creepy Sonic costume for your cat, a Tails costume for your dog, and a weird Sonic themed costume for your Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhTcgpgsW4c

I hope that doesn't count enough for the Sonic Frontiers crossover and we get another one in Monster Hunter. Maybe a weapon, we don't have one of those, I could see a permanently spin-dashing Sonic on the end of a stick as a hammer or Amy's hammer or something.

Yes I did think of "Sonic on a stick" before "Amy's hammer."

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Paused posted:

There's a fan project that has effectively brought it back if you're interested. Sonic Runners Revival. I'm not well informed on the tech stuff, but from what I can tell, it's close to a carbon copy of the original. A few things left to be implemented, like the leader boards. However things are still being brought back, such as the seasonal events were back in last month, and at the start of this one new content was added like Tangle and Wisper from the IDW comics were put on the roulette for unlock.

It's better than a carbon copy, it is the original just with different servers.

Well actually it was. Since it's got some added content I suppose it's more the original with mods or something.

Point is it's not from scratch.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

Is there a way to get it on IOS without jailbreaking my phone?

Quick look at the site has a "sideloadly / non-jailbreak" version, but I'm on Android so I've got no idea what that entails.

https://sonicrunners.com/#/download

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Of course This comes out a day after I finished the game, two days after I finished Chaos Island.
It's a mod that gets rid of a lot of the 2D-locked sections on Chaos Island, the third island.
https://gamebanana.com/mods/419829

I messed around with it a bit, at least for playing around it really makes the third island way better. I have no idea what possessed them to have so much 2D in a 3D Open World. Like, half the point of the floating platforms and stuff is to get on there and see something and go "I bet I can reach that easier if I jump off of here," isn't it???

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I didn't know there was a new Sonic comic but Amazon randomly recommended the recent Scrapnik Island miniseries to me and I've gotta say I thought it was pretty neat.

Then I found out they've relaunched the whole brand. Having grown up with Archie, I'm tempted to ask if it's worth following.

If you read Archie past 160 or liked the writing in Sonic Frontiers, it's mostly the same writer, Ian Flynn. He's not the only writer any more, but the new ones (including Gigidigi from Cucumber Quest! She also does art!) are just about as good.

Plus the art is excellent

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

A Cup of Ramen posted:

This Amy is av worthy.

Yeah I kinda figured someone would want it for an av. Go for it.

(Honestly the other Amy and Tails probably are too, aside from being the wrong shape.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Halibut Barn posted:

Wrong Gigi, I think, it's Gigi Dutreix who's working on the comics now.

Though to add to the confusion, gigidigi did do some writing and design on the recent Sonic animated shorts.

My bad, I thought they were the same person. Still very good.

My only real complaints about the comic are:

1. A bit more focus on the OCs than I'd like. With limits on what they can do with the game characters I get it, but, like
Aside from the covers and one flashback, Sonic The Hedgehog was not in Sonic The Hedgehog: Imposter Syndrome. It also was just the start of the current story arc and didn't have much of a conclusion. That feels like a bit much. At least they could have not had him on the covers either.

2. Okay listen I know Sonic isn't about to start killing bad guys. It's not that kind of series. I get that.

They don't have to keep bringing it up as a thing he could and probably should be doing.

And obviously those are pretty minor complaints.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Maybe I wouldn't have had a problem with it if all of the covers weren't a fight between Sonic and Surge that didn't happen in the miniseries. (Or if I had had more to read immediately from the library, instead of that being the only new bit of the comic up for a few months.)

Either way, I did say it was a minor complaint.

(I'm caught up now and it's still good. Surge is great, obviously.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

It's weird, I was actually just thinking a couple of days ago what stages they should include if they were to do a hypothetical follow-up to Generations.

Assuming they have to use a brand new stage for each game so they can't fall back on Green Hill and Chemical Plant again, my picks would probably be...

Sonic 1: Starlight Zone
Sonic 2: Casino Night Zone
Sonic 3&K: Ice Cap Zone

Adventure: Emerald Coast
Adventure 2: Green Jungle, maybe? I feel like the choice would have to be one of the Sonic/Shadow stages, but there isn't really another one of their stages that's as iconic as City Escape...
Sonic Heroes: Another tough choice as I have almost no experience with this title. Hang Castle or the Egg Fleet seem like they have pretty good spectacle?

Sonic 06: Kingdom Valley
Sonic Unleashed: Dragon Road
Sonic Colors: Starlight Carnival

Sonic Lost World: Sky
Sonic Mania: Press Garden
Sonic Forces: I have never played this one and all the stages kind of look the same to me? Going just by screenshots Egg Gate and Capital City look like they have decent spectacle?

Sonic Frontiers: This one's hard just because the open world nature of it makes selecting a specific "Zone" to showcase kind of tricky, I think they'd probably just be able to make a course based on the Starfall Islands as a whole.

That Frontiers idea reminds me of a stage mod for Generations that's, like, a linear (but branching!) stage version of the Mystic Ruins from SA1, and a more polished official version of that would be really loving cool

SA2 has GOT to be either Final Rush or The Ark in general (probably called "Final Rush" still), although Pyramid Cave is sort of a dark horse second place.

Egg Fleet is the only real choice for Heroes.
I never played 06, Wave Ocean seems popular or sure Kingdom Valley why not?
I don't remember any stages from Colors besides Planet Wisp, it makes such an impression though.
For Lost World, can we cheat and have Nights?

And then for Sonic Mania, it HAS to be Studiopolis holy poo poo the music might be doing a lot of the work but that stage is the best.

Also a Sonic Generations "white zone" stage medley that colors in behind you would be a really loving cool finale if they could pull it off.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Sticks in canon and those and I think some of the mobile games are the only non-Boom things she's been in, so clearly they must be canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
It somehow had not occurred to me before that Shadow was the viewpoint for his songs in SA2 even though duh.

Shadow The Hedgehog posted:

Everybody tries to be straight
But things are still unchanged
It's useless to resist

Glad to hear Shadow advocating for gay acceptance even back when he was supposed to be a villain.